Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
These 53 comments are related to the topic:
Battaash

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 53
By:
Celtic warrior
When: 30 Jul 21 17:32
Battash  should now be retired. what a great racehorse he has been and a very lucky one of me. my first bet was way back in the scurry at sandown. At least us Sheikh Hamdan (rest his soul) backers have Baaeed to immediately take over his mantle
By:
Gibberish
When: 30 Jul 21 17:54
Battaash has always been a horse that I've never been able to take to despite recognising his brilliance - at his best, there
haven't been many I've seen over the decades that I could say for definite are superior (on a going day) over the minimum trip.

BUT for years on end, he's always been capable of running a stinker...whatever lame excuses have been proffered.
There have always been temperament issues and he's never been one to have complicit trust in regardless (in my view) of what
connections have had to say.

Like any proper racing enthusiast I appreciate champions and like to see them strut their stuff but after that disappointment,
with having every opportunity and apparently no excuses, I'm doubting we'll see him achieve anything like the official 127 he's
ran close to on several occasions over the years.

I'd assume he's got two more chances to redeem himself (in the Nunthorpe & Abbaye) and as much as I'd like to see him win one
and hit a top figure again, I doubt it'll happen though that's not exactly a forlorn prospect, so I hope he can prove me wrong.

All that said, he's been a great campaigner though a group one haul of just four has to be considered insufficient & frustrating
for a horse of his innate ability who's had a six season career. Arguably the highlight being his first group one victory in
routing Marsha in the Abbaye on soft ground - that was a very impressive performance to the eye.

Has anyone got official ratings at hand to compare where he stands alongside the greats?
I'm wondering how many sprinters have hit an official 130 (being a length or so superior to Battaash) to gauge where he stands
and I'd assume there weren't that many since the classifications began over 40 years ago.
By:
LoyalHoncho
When: 30 Jul 21 18:57
Storm Alert   30 Jul 21 08:39

Superb stuff!  Happy  On your say I had a look but sadly couldn't convince myself.  Sad
By:
onlooker
When: 30 Jul 21 20:42
I will start you off with  DAYJUR =  131 ... plus - whatever more you think he had in hand

- and ...

Gentilhombre  = 133

Thatching = 132

Habibti  (3yr filly) = 131

Marwell  (3yr filly) = 131

Moorestyle  (3yr) = 131

Black Caviar (mare) = 130

Never So Bold = 130

Sharpo = 130
Sharpo = 128

Solinus  (3yr) = 128

Ajdal (3yr - July Cup) = 127

Last Tycoon = 126

* Official Ratings tended to/did run at a Higher Level all those years ago -

- and were Re-Calibrated Downwards by 3 Lbs some years ago 
By:
penzance
When: 30 Jul 21 20:52
Lake Coniston was a good sprinter TFR 131.
By:
onlooker
When: 30 Jul 21 21:01
Timeform and Racing Post Ratings - tend to - well, actually Do - run at a level 5 or 6  lbs Higher than Official Ratings.
By:
penzance
When: 30 Jul 21 21:03
Ajdal got a 130 rating TF.
By:
carrot1960
When: 30 Jul 21 21:06
onnections of Battaash are set for discussions on the future of the brilliant sprinter, with retirement appearing a distinct possibility.

The seven-year-old could finish only seventh in his bid for a fifth successive King George Qatar Stakes at Goodwood on Friday, and Angus Gold, racing manager for Shadwell Estate, will now consult with Sheikha Hissa on Battaash’s future.

The Charlie Hills-trained gelding made a belated return to action this term when fourth at Royal Ascot, after suffering an injury during the winter, and connections could now call time on his career.

Gold said: “Jim (Crowley, jockey) said he really didn’t like the ground but that was not the reason he was beaten.

“The horse has done remarkably well to get back to the races and it took him a long time to come right after the fracture.

“Jim said ‘I had a ride for a few yards’ and there comes a time for all of us.

“I shall speak to the owner tonight, as the last thing we want to do is abuse him.

“After all the problems we’ve had, why would we go on now?

“She (Sheikha Hissa) spoke to me at Ascot and said she didn’t want to abuse this horse, so I suspect there will be an announcement forthcoming.”

A real flag-bearer for Hills, Battaash has also won the Nunthorpe, Prix de l’Abbaye and King’s Stand in a career which began with victory in a five-furlong novice event at Bath in May 2016.

His Lambourn trainer said: “He had a good trip, really. There was a lot of pace on this side of the track, but he came into the race travelling nice and strong. He probably didn’t really handle the ground as well as he could have done.

“We were happy (coming into the race). He was doing everything we have done in the past few years, so there was no difference, really. I was just a little bit concerned about the going here today.

“We will see how he comes out of the race, speak to the management and Sheikha Hissa, and decide where to go forward.”

Crowley said: “The ground was probably slow enough for him. He owes us nothing and is not getting any younger.

“He travelled well early and showed plenty of enthusiasm. Even cantering down, I thought the going was slow enough.

“We’ll have a regroup and see what everybody wants to do. They don’t get quicker as they get older.”
By:
Gibberish
When: 30 Jul 21 21:14
Thanks Onlooker - as I suspected there really aren't that many in 44 years.
Strangely, there's only the highest rated of them lot (Gentilhombre) that was before my time.

Penzance - I thought you were too smart to put any stock at all in Timeform Crazy
They have zero credibility nowadays...definitely not in this century as they're beyond a joke in my view.
By:
penzance
When: 30 Jul 21 21:15
I don't nowadays but thought they were'nt
bad years ago.
By:
penzance
When: 30 Jul 21 21:18
they were probably a good tool years ago because
you could'nt see as much racing then as now on
a daily basis.
By:
Storm Alert
When: 31 Jul 21 08:19
Blue Point was pretty good. He beat Battash a couple of times and won three G1 sprints at Royal Ascot.
By:
carrot1960
When: 31 Jul 21 15:11
Another classic from Weaver , she the winner  didn't do anything once she got there LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
By:
blackbarn
When: 31 Jul 21 16:23
Retired.
Page 2 of 2  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo