Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
themightymac
29 Jul 21 15:17
| Topic/replies: 30,101 | Blogger: themightymac's blog
colours just won at Goodwood. First time I`ve seen them in years.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 95
By:
verbotene liebe
When: 29 Jul 21 15:19
M Lolshan, too.
By:
themightymac
When: 29 Jul 21 15:20
Ryan Price. Brian Taylor.
By:
themightymac
When: 29 Jul 21 15:21
Any more VL?
By:
verbotene liebe
When: 29 Jul 21 15:24
The colours seemed to disappear after we got into the 80's. There wasen't that many and think we have maybe named the best two.
By:
LoyalHoncho
When: 29 Jul 21 15:27
M'Lolshan!  That's a few summers ago.  Had it in a three of them odds on treble in my wasted youth.
By:
themightymac
When: 29 Jul 21 15:29
I thin Essa Al Khalifa died and colours were not seen for years. Must be his son or grandson now. Never forget Jellaby in Lockinge. Cry
By:
Blackrock
When: 29 Jul 21 15:31
Was in good form till OP mentioned Jellaby. As with Mighty mac never forget that race.SadSad
By:
verbotene liebe
When: 29 Jul 21 15:39

By:
LoyalHoncho
When: 29 Jul 21 17:08
Yep = most unfortunate incident.
By:
ged
When: 29 Jul 21 18:34
Ahonoora
By:
themightymac
When: 29 Jul 21 18:45
Don`t think any of us will blackrock.

Great shout ged, Ahonoora a very very good sprinter. Was it trained by Swift or Durr? Sure it was one of them.
By:
verbotene liebe
When: 29 Jul 21 18:54
About an hour back I looked at Ahonoora in the Timeform Annuals of 78 and 79, but as there is no posed portrait, it did not mention the owners so wasn't sure. He's always a good one for quizzes being an unusual Derby winning sire. Was under the care of both those trainers.
By:
onlooker
When: 29 Jul 21 18:58
Did JELLABY - Not 'put his foot in a hole' - at Cagnes-Sur-Mur - aswell - in the days before All-Weather racing ... as in the Lockinge.

In fact - I remembered the Cagnes-Sur-Mur incident much more that the Lockinge ...

Loved Heavy ground .... or was that another similarly named horse (although I rather doubt it) ... will have to check it out.
By:
onlooker
When: 29 Jul 21 19:08
Ahonoora - was owned by - Essa Alkalifa
By:
LoyalHoncho
When: 29 Jul 21 19:22
I remember Raffingora breaking the clock at Epsom over 5F.  I'm sure it set a world record at the time.  Anyone?
Trained by W. Marshall possibly.
By:
Cork Langer
When: 29 Jul 21 19:43
Yes LH, this courtesy of The Anorak, record lasted between 1970 and 1983 and trainer was indeed Bill Marshall
By:
onlooker
When: 29 Jul 21 19:46
No -RAFFINGORA broke the ELECTRONICALLY-TIMED -  5f Record for Epsom - and consequently Britain - not sure about the World. though.

Mahmoud _ FROM THE !(£)S @HELD@ THE % F Record - But that was HAND-Timed - and it is generally accepted that the Man Timing the race was NOT in position and MISSED the Start - Thus pressing his Stopwatch LATE - AFTER the start.

RAFFINGORA - Carried 10 stone - ridden by Lester Piggott - got up on the line in a Photo ... beat Duty Sheet
By:
onlooker
When: 29 Jul 21 19:48
^ *  - Mahmoud - from the 1930s 'held' the HAND-Timed 'record'
By:
onlooker
When: 29 Jul 21 19:50
Oh  FFS  - Mahmoud was the Derby Record   CryGrin

But - The was a HAND-Timed 5 Furlong 'Record'  - But - then - as above - regarding it's validity.

Sure the horse began with 'M' too ... I Will remember - eventually. Happy
By:
Cork Langer
When: 29 Jul 21 19:54
Hand timed record belonged to Indigenous
By:
onlooker
When: 29 Jul 21 20:00
The 'HAND-Held Time - was Indigenous - 53.6 secs - carried 9-6 - But the Time disputed as above

RAFFINGORA was 58.89 - carried 10-0
By:
onlooker
When: 29 Jul 21 20:01
Oh STREWTH ! - -- 53.89
By:
themightymac
When: 29 Jul 21 21:05
Bill Marshall was a fighter pilot during WWII. He was a remarkable man. Trained a lot of decent 2-y-o`s for Van Der Ploeg in the 70s. I may be wrong but I think the colours were White, Green vertical stripe on body, Orange cap.
By:
themightymac
When: 29 Jul 21 21:11

BILL MARSHALL

RAFFINGORA
By:
workrider
When: 29 Jul 21 21:18
Cracking thread Mighty , Had 10 bob on Jellaby that day  Sad Plus Raffingora was one of my fav Sprinters of all time...Michael Osbourne called me one day when myself and Mrs Workrider where visiting the INS and said I want to show you who I've just bought took us over to the box and the lad brought out..Ahonoora...Great days.
By:
themightymac
When: 29 Jul 21 21:26
Great story workrider. Great memories.
By:
themightymac
When: 29 Jul 21 21:29
I can only remember Jellaby running in the above mentioned colours but I came across this old clip of the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes won by Kris and you will notice that Jellaby finished 3rd but not in the colours mentioned?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DJTaai-Hbo

It`s a mystery to me.
By:
verbotene liebe
When: 29 Jul 21 21:38
Was put back into training at Peter Walwyn's yard after having a low or even nil fertility rate - then not sure if tried at stud again in some far off place.
By:
workrider
When: 29 Jul 21 21:39
I think that Raffingora run was 1969 am I correct..?
By:
Greg_Gory
When: 29 Jul 21 21:41
great memories cheers and TROY and over the Jumps Silver Buck era Happy
By:
ged
When: 29 Jul 21 21:43
Seems Jellaby was owned by a Roger Denton in 1979.
By:
themightymac
When: 29 Jul 21 21:49
Thanks for that Ged. I couldn`t remember that.

Raffingora picture was 1970 workrider.
By:
workrider
When: 29 Jul 21 21:51
Oh heck I'm a year out my memory must be going..Grin
By:
themightymac
When: 29 Jul 21 21:51
For Greg.

SILVER BUCK
By:
verbotene liebe
When: 29 Jul 21 21:52
Had  an obsession with the P Walwyn yard in the 70's ( as many did) and have just looked at my falling to pieces 1979! Horses In Training - have written in Jellaby in pen to the six older horses listed so I guess there must have been an announcement in the spring that he'd been put back into training,
By:
themightymac
When: 29 Jul 21 21:54
No, well done workrider you were very close. It`s funny how we can remember way back then but can`t remember what we bet yesterday LaughLaugh
By:
workrider
When: 29 Jul 21 21:55
Very true Mighty , very true indeed..
By:
themightymac
When: 29 Jul 21 22:00

AHONOORA 1979 WILLIAM HILL SPRINT CHAMPIONSHIP

If my memory is correct he finished 2nd to Thatching but got the race on a disqualification. Greville Starkey rode him that day. When trained by Brian Swift the previous year he won the Stewards Cup at 50/1 ridden by Philip Waldron.
By:
workrider
When: 29 Jul 21 22:05
I don't think anyone including Mr Osbourne expected him to reach such heights as a Stallion , having said that a few years earlier he'd bought Sallust just before he won a big race in France for little or nothing and he progressed to be a very popular horse in Ireland..
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com