Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
swiftynifty
28 Jul 21 17:54
| Topic/replies: 4,145 | Blogger: swiftynifty's blog
Voice collapses at the end of every race, screaming away. Does anyone actually like him?
Pause Switch to Standard View Irish Commentator?
Show More
Report MJK July 28, 2021 7:05 PM BST
Many people complained about the great Dessie. Reap what you sow springs to mind.
Report onlooker July 28, 2021 7:31 PM BST
swiftynifty 28 Jul 21 17:54 

Voice collapses at the end of every race, screaming away. Does anyone actually like him?
--------------

workrider ....

- and, the equally defensive - MJK
Report lead on July 28, 2021 7:38 PM BST
Take it we're talking about the roaring bull himself
Report Hushwing. July 28, 2021 7:40 PM BST
he's poor we all know that whatever the 'green' defenders say but its 'a job for life'
Report sixtwosix July 28, 2021 7:44 PM BST
He certainly gives it his all ....having played them the commentary my family have been known to do a 'Roaring Bull'Cool
Report MJK July 28, 2021 7:48 PM BST

Jul 28, 2021 -- 1:31PM, onlooker wrote:

swiftynifty 28 Jul 21 17:54

Report MJK July 28, 2021 7:49 PM BST
Did you actually read my poat? Where have I defended him? Are you an idiot as well as a bigot?
Report MJK July 28, 2021 7:49 PM BST
Report steerforth July 28, 2021 8:01 PM BST
I love the way he says absolutely nothing until the tapes are up and never, ever gives an opinion. Two minutes of total silence during the farcical false start earlier after Ruby and Gary had passed over to him as they looked about to go. Dessie was the same and when they were both going I found it hard to tell them apart.
Report onlooker July 28, 2021 8:09 PM BST
I actually liked - Dessie - Kept it simple (yes - I know setting up for a riposte, there) - as ALL Commentators should -

- unlike the awful S H O U T Y MAN in the UK - along with several others, admittedly, too ..

But - NONE of this over-excitable 'enthusiasm' of the others ...

- most especially Ireland's own Jerry Hannon ... of whom - How he has not had a Heart-Attack whilst spluttering out his commentaries - beggars belief. Cry
Report penzance July 28, 2021 8:19 PM BST
only comentates on the race,as that's what he's
paid for.Pretty sure there's one over here who does that aswell.
Report MJK July 28, 2021 8:24 PM BST
Hannon thinks he's great, part of the 'let's see how many likes I can get on Facebook ' mob. Whenever Roaring Bull runs since that day he shouts his name at the end, wherever it finishes.  He thinks it's hilarious. His biggest problem is that he tries to say something about the winner as it crosses the line which gets him all flustered as he tries to get it out. Unfortunately the other commentators here are just as bad.
Report punchestown July 28, 2021 8:58 PM BST
I'll go against the tide here and say I actually like his enthusiasm,I think it adds to a finish but I suppose each to his own and all that,he's not paid to talk on Racing TV just like Dessie wasn't so keeps schtum when there's dead air.

He actually sounds like a younger version of Dessie (to me anyway) and I suppose he'll learn as he goes on.
Report onlooker July 28, 2021 9:22 PM BST
punchestown   -

Just what does it - "add to a finish"?

They do NOT Pay you out at 10/1 about a 5/1 Winner .... Just because some over-excitable SHOUTS it over the Line ...

- and - in the cold light of day of Punting - That is all that matters ... not being 'entertained'.
Report xaar July 28, 2021 9:34 PM BST
i think he's great, but I'm not a miserable middle-aged man LaughLaughLaugh
Report saxon farm July 28, 2021 9:40 PM BST
onlooker seems to be a right “stick in the mud” these days.
Come on onlooker you’re better than this…. much better
Report penzance July 28, 2021 9:42 PM BST
glass always half empty,character.
Report MJK July 28, 2021 9:56 PM BST
They should let football commentators 'guest' and see how they get on doing it
Report onlooker July 28, 2021 9:57 PM BST
I am not a - "stick in the mud" ...

- Just a sensible REALIST

I do NOT want to be 'entertained'  by any egotistic commentator. 'It is all so superfluous.

Do you  all burst out laughing when you have had a Monkey on something that has just got Chinned in a Close Photo ? -

- But say ... 'Hey - never mind .... at least the Commentator gave it a good SHOUT'.
Report punchestown July 28, 2021 9:57 PM BST
onlooker,each to their own I suppose,I like to hear the commentary ramping up in the final furlong,maybe you should watch it with the volume turned off?Crazy
Report saxon farm July 28, 2021 10:09 PM BST
And ostentatious to boot!
Report Cork Langer July 28, 2021 10:47 PM BST
Jerry just likes to put some passion into his calls and more than likely is just happy to have a laugh at his many critics expense, after all he is getting paid to do something that he thoroughly enjoys and gets to irritate loads of you into the bargain....!
Report onlooker July 28, 2021 11:02 PM BST
come on - saxon - I ain't looking for a fight.... "You're better than this"

Do you never stand YOUR corner ? .... or are you always happy to be a compliant conformist, and never question anything.
Report De_man July 29, 2021 2:48 AM BST
He s ace ... best commentator going ... you can keep your Derek Thompsons ...
Report saxon farm July 29, 2021 10:11 AM BST
onlooker - did not mean to upset you, my remarks are really tongue in cheek.

On the whole I enjoy your forthright views on here, you remind me of an old school headmaster!

As for me, we’ll I try not to let trivialities get under my skin.

All the best!
Report saxon farm July 29, 2021 10:12 AM BST
well
Report onlooker July 29, 2021 10:35 AM BST
Cheers and Thanks - saxon - spoken like a true fellow racing fan -

- and - is it really all those years ago?

Sadly, we lost Stan Mellor a year ago next Sunday.
Report jumper3 July 29, 2021 10:37 AM BST
Which Irish commentator are we talking about here. Richard Pugh?
Report steerforth July 29, 2021 12:40 PM BST
For me there is only one index when assessing a commentator. How much do they irritate? The best of the UK callers are  better than any of the Irish, and the worst, are way, way, way worse.
Report punchestown July 29, 2021 5:02 PM BST
Which Irish commentator are we talking about here. Richard Pugh?

----------------------

It's Jerry Hannon who took over from Dessie when he hung up his mic and I think he models himself on Dessie a fair bit,he has a bit to go obviously to get to the finished article but I think he's a good commentator and certainly better than the rest on this side of the water.

It's all about your own preference for contained or excited commentary.
Report MJK July 29, 2021 6:23 PM BST
I wish Pugh would shut his big gob
Report CustomCut July 29, 2021 6:25 PM BST
I'm all for excitement but by the end of the race Hannon is like a teenage girl at a concert, and his elocution during the race isn't that good either. I don't like this habit of just saying the names of the horses as fast as you can at the end either. Naming the horses is not a commentary, if you want to name several horses at the end at least say where they finished.
Report onlooker August 5, 2021 5:32 PM BST
Thursday Aug 5th - Leopardstown   

" ... It's TARNAWA on the FAR Side"  ...

REALLY

- followed by - splutter, splutter .... " and in the centre Silence Please - But " ...

"Tarnawa now sweeps by"

Happy
Report onlooker August 5, 2021 5:35 PM BST
^  Only 2 horses in it - and he got them mixed up.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com