Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Angoose
27 Jul 21 17:44
| Topic/replies: 24,312 | Blogger: Angoose's blog
In the 17:10 Laugh
Pause Switch to Standard View Wrong Horse Saddled At Galway
Show More
Report swiftynifty July 27, 2021 5:45 PM BST
3yo colt gets up late to beat 2yo fillies
Report Hushwing. July 27, 2021 5:46 PM BST
which was it Aurora Princess or Espouse ? watch for the nr
Report 1st time poster July 27, 2021 5:46 PM BST
rumour is they,ll land a horse on the moon in next zillion years or so,till then turnips for tea again
Report swiftynifty July 27, 2021 5:50 PM BST
using UK as a precedent just let the result stand!
Report jamesdean July 27, 2021 6:02 PM BST
Thrown out, Twinkle now the winner
Report sparrow July 27, 2021 6:02 PM BST
Alizarine disqualified
Report Hushwing. July 27, 2021 6:02 PM BST
Aurora Princess nr , 79 rated 3yo ran it appears
Report sparrow July 27, 2021 6:06 PM BST
Hasn't this happened before with O'Brien mixing up horses?
Report sparrow July 27, 2021 6:06 PM BST
Apologies wrong horse Cry
Report blunder July 27, 2021 6:08 PM BST
I can't believe I haven't backed it. I've been on the wrong side of almost all the **** ups in the last 8 months.The Cheltenham photo , the Navan stewards and the Sandown photo.
Report elisjohn July 27, 2021 6:10 PM BST
sparrow., has alzarine been disq ?
Report Wesdag July 27, 2021 6:10 PM BST
Following a Stewards Enquiry after Race 2 at
@Galway_Races
Alizarine has been disqualified under Rule 262(iv)c as horse could not be positively identified post race

Result now reads
1st Twinkle
2nd Radiyka
3rd Past Time
4th Buenaventura
5th Elizabeth’s Pride
Report 1st time poster July 27, 2021 6:11 PM BST
if they cant get a few horses in to a few races when its their only job of the day makes you wonder how many colts are going round yards singing soprano by mistake
Report sofiakenny July 27, 2021 6:11 PM BST
yes
Report thurnscoe thunder July 27, 2021 6:11 PM BST
Yes elisjohn, its been disqualified
Report elisjohn July 27, 2021 6:11 PM BST
had they weighed in though
Report Latalomne July 27, 2021 6:11 PM BST
Another great advert for the sport.
Report MJK July 27, 2021 6:12 PM BST
The plungers on Twinkle will collect after all.
Report jamesdean July 27, 2021 6:12 PM BST
No elis, they have now though. Twinkle the winner
Report elisjohn July 27, 2021 6:12 PM BST
thx
Report sofiakenny July 27, 2021 6:12 PM BST
double whammy here...backed original winner and layed radiyka first 2CryCry
Report Rico-Dangleflaps July 27, 2021 6:14 PM BST
how cant they realise pre race?
Report jamesdean July 27, 2021 6:14 PM BST
Alizarine
29-2
4/1
T: Mrs J HarringtonJ: S Foley
Pushed along early, soon mid-division, 7th halfway, pushed along in 5th 2f out, 4th entering straight, challenged between horses to go 3rd under 1f out, ridden and led 75 yards out, kept on well op 15/2
Report shoodacoodadidnt July 27, 2021 6:15 PM BST
NEVER on the right side of such crap - I laid the eventual 3rd for a place .... FFS!!!!
Report Hushwing. July 27, 2021 6:15 PM BST
racing tv irish pundits 'its just one of those things'' - ah ok thats that thenCrazy
Report dave1357 July 27, 2021 6:16 PM BST
the race should be voided by betfair - there are so many issues with it.
Report shoodacoodadidnt July 27, 2021 6:16 PM BST
and they were congratulating themselves on their paddock watching - thought the winner looked class - entered in big races .... hmmmmm
Report The Management July 27, 2021 6:20 PM BST
Does anyone know how much was matched on Twinkle at 1000 in-running?
Report swiftynifty July 27, 2021 6:22 PM BST
You have to blame the lad/lass. They look after 2 or 3 horses and if they can't tell them part they're in the wrong job. Unless of course it's not them sent to the races to lead up.
Report 1st time poster July 27, 2021 6:22 PM BST
any chance the well backed,well drawn harrington 3rd fav in last that finished tailed off was the horse that won an hour ago and ran again by mistake LaughLaugh
Report duffy July 27, 2021 6:22 PM BST
If the horse had no business being in the race then surely it must be classed as a N/R or some sort of acknowledgement that it had no business being in the race.

I don't see how any business done on this horse can count as it could never winConfused
Report duffy July 27, 2021 6:23 PM BST
Too much use of the word business then
Report hulk23 July 27, 2021 6:23 PM BST
Does anyone know how much was matched on Twinkle at 1000 in-running?

over to you Rico, pmsl Laugh
Report Whippin Piccadilly July 27, 2021 6:34 PM BST
Irish racing is quickly becoming a laughing stock.
Report Rico-Dangleflaps July 27, 2021 6:55 PM BST
no eye deer hulk..i had 500 on winner.
Report duffy July 27, 2021 6:57 PM BST
Mick's are living up to the stereotype and then someCryCry
Report RothmanMike July 27, 2021 7:00 PM BST
Happened over here with Flockton Grey at  Leicester.
Same scenario, 3-yo beating a field of 2-yo juveniles, by miles.
Took a bit longer to discover that scam however.
Report CROPSICK July 27, 2021 7:37 PM BST
I remember that, they would have got away with it aswel if it had'nt won by 20L!
Report RothmanMike July 27, 2021 7:44 PM BST
@ 33/1 Plain
Report LoyalHoncho July 27, 2021 7:45 PM BST
Mrs Harrington admits that the horses are "like twins".  So if they know that prior to heading to the course why not do something simple like the 2yo wears a blue sock and the 3yo wears a green sock, prior to saddling for the race. And it may well be a "lad's fault" but it is the trainer's responsibility to present a horse for a race.
sparrow:  extract from RP:  In one of the more high-profile examples of identity errors in recent years, the Aidan O'Brien-trained duo of Mother Earth and Snowfall carried each other's numbers and intended riders in last year's Fillies' Mile at Newmarket.
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk July 27, 2021 7:52 PM BST
Both of those won classics!
They all look the same to Aiden Cool
Report workrider July 27, 2021 8:00 PM BST
Duffy , a little over the top don't you think ,your post 17.57. Considering Mohammand is now the most common name registered in England . maybe us Micks should refer to your good selves as Mos ..Laugh
Report slickster July 27, 2021 8:40 PM BST
Grow up wonky. Same old tiresome stuff. And 12 + 6 is 18 not 17. Try duffys post at 18.57. Best to stick to the 12 hour clock. 24 hours confuses you.
Report LoyalHoncho July 28, 2021 12:34 AM BST
If bf annotate duffy's post time as 17.57 that's good enough for me too.
Report 1st time poster July 28, 2021 4:30 AM BST
pundits have a yearly bed wet at ascot when a wesley ward 2 yr old enters paddock,but in ire trainer,lads,jock,owners walk round a paddock a dozen times go down to start and no one can tell the difference between a baby and a 3 yr old,just get ken peterison on the gate Laugh
Report elisjohn July 28, 2021 7:05 AM BST
quite right 1st time , theyre like twinsLaugh, christ jessica twins get born within minutes of each other not over a year, cant believe the statement myself.
Report top2rated July 28, 2021 9:25 AM BST
Report howard July 28, 2021 9:37 AM BST
Just looking at the horses in the race if you had been asked to pick out the three year old many people would have been able to do so.
Report Angoose July 28, 2021 10:37 AM BST
Nobody in the parade ring noticed, the jockey sat on the horse didn't notice, the other jockeys looking at the horses circling around the start didn't notice, the pundits and commentator didn't notice.

The mistake was only picked up when a check was made through the identity microchip inserted in to each and every horse.

Clearly, it should never have happened, but it did.
Report swiftynifty July 28, 2021 11:15 AM BST
The bottom line is trainers train too many horses and haven't a clue who most of their animals are. As for Foley, for him to not realise a 9-raced twice winning 80-odd rated 3yo going to post was not actually a 2yo having her first race beggars belief.
Report elisjohn July 28, 2021 11:26 AM BST
first time its run less than a mile and blinkered last 4 runs
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk July 28, 2021 11:35 AM BST
Whilst it is highly probable that no shenanigans were afoot in this situation, penalties must be harsh, imo
Report howard July 28, 2021 1:03 PM BST
yeah it's clear the Aidan case didn't hit home good enough
Report LoyalHoncho July 28, 2021 2:44 PM BST
The fault lies with Harrington - no-one else.
Report Andriy July 28, 2021 2:51 PM BST
After the race are all horses checked for this including those down the field, or is it just the placed horses when they leave the parade ring.
Report LoyalHoncho July 28, 2021 2:55 PM BST
They should surely be checked BEFORE and after the race.  Cann't be that hard - the jockey's weights are.   It does make you wonder what went on years ago before all this digital i.d. stuff was ever available.
Report swiftynifty July 28, 2021 3:47 PM BST
It seems the quickest way to get an 80-rated handicapper dropped is to run its 45-rated stablemate in its place (provided they look a bit similar). It's quite likely that still goes on.
Report angrybryan July 28, 2021 4:12 PM BST
Microchipping
Report swiftynifty July 28, 2021 4:15 PM BST
Microchipman dodgy or absent.
Report Angoose July 29, 2021 12:21 PM BST
07 Mar 2018

The British Horseracing Authority (BHA) has today announced that the secondary scanning procedures at racecourses – whereby horses’ microchips are scanned upon leaving the stables before a race – have been enhanced further with a race-specific identity check.

The scanning devices used to scan the horses by Equine Welfare Integrity Officers (EWIOs) now link the identity of the horse being scanned to the runners list for the race it is being scanned out for. This enhancement will ensure that if the wrong horse is brought out an alert within the technology will be triggered, to minimize the risk of human error leading to further identification mix-ups.

When the horse is scanned it will list the horse’s age, colour, sex, microchip number, which race it appears in, as well as the trainer and what number saddle cloth the horse is due to carry, in case it is saddled in the stables.

Should a horse be scanned for a race it is not due to contest, the app will prompt the user with a message saying “this horse is not a runner in this race”. Work will also be completed shortly whereby the Stewards on duty will also have oversight of the scanning data.

The technology has been developed with Cheltenham–based agency EventLog Limited and incorporated into the existing paperless testing app launched last summer.

Brant Dunshea, Director of Integrity and Regulatory Operations at the BHA, said:

“Our priority following the recent mix ups at Southwell was to take whatever steps were appropriate to ensure that the issue doesn’t happen again.

“It is vital that the public’s trust in racing as a fair, well-regulated sport, which is run with the highest standards of professionalism and integrity, is not impacted by similar incidents.

“The launch of the race identity check will achieve that aim as it further mitigates the risk of human error impacting the scanning and identification process”.

Perhaps the authorities in Ireland should seek to implement similar safeguards .....
Report Angoose July 29, 2021 12:25 PM BST
Jessica Harrington has apologised after she 'won' the two-year-old fillies' maiden (5.10) at Galway on Tuesday with a three-year-old handicapper.

It emerged after the race that Aurora Princess, who has won two of her nine starts, is rated 79 and was due to run later on the card, finished first past the post when it should have been the debutante Alizarine running in the race.

Aurora Princess came home strongly under Shane Foley to beat the Aidan O'Brien-trained 5-4 favourite Twinkle. However, no 'winner all right' was announced before the official disqualification, as the identification query was raised after the microchip of the winner was scanned as she left the parade ring, prompting the IHRB veterinary team to object to the result.

Dr Lynn Hillyer, chief veterinary officer with the IHRB, said of the sequence of events: "The horses are scanned before the winner alright is called. So they are scanned and identified as they come in to the racecourse, and then the winner is scanned as they come out of the parade ring."

Hillyer declined to elaborate further when asked if the IHRB would review its procedures, which don't cater for horses' microchips to be scanned again following their arrival at the track and before they race.

After the disqualification was announced, Aurora Princess was declared a non-runner later on the card, with confirmation of the disqualification announced at 5.58pm.

Harrington, who has yet to learn if she will be sanctioned as the matter was referred to the IHRB for further investigation, told the Racing Post: "We ran the wrong horse. They are two bay fillies that look exactly the same. One has a tiny little bit of white on the back of her hind coronary band but they are the same size and very similar.

"My representative Bubba Amond held his hands up straight away. He had the saddle on by the time I saw her in the ring. It's human error and I apologise to everyone."

The incident has shone a light on the lack of identification checks being conducted when horses enter the parade ring.

In one of the more high-profile examples of identity errors in recent years, the Aidan O'Brien-trained duo of Mother Earth and Snowfall carried each other's numbers and intended riders in last year's Fillies' Mile at Newmarket.

Harrington added: "It has never happened to me before, but I suppose it is always an accident waiting to happen. It's not the first time it has happened to people.

"It happened to Aidan O'Brien at Newmarket last year as well, but it's just human error. I am very upset about it and I am very, very sorry."

Niall Cronin, the IHRB communications officer, subsequently said of Tuesday's incident: "Mrs Harrington has taken full responsibility for what has happened. She referred to the two horses during the inquiry as being almost identical – like twins."

Asked whether procedures would be reviewed, he added: "It is something that has happened on occasion in the past, and it will be looked at again. We review everything that happens."

On the question of why Alizarine wasn't declared a non-runner and Rule 4 deductions implemented, Cronin said: "Having considered all the evidence, the stewards upheld the objection that was made. As the horse Alizarine did not run in the race, that horse was deemed to be unplaced under rule 266, and the horse purported to be Alizarine was disqualified.

"It's a bit like dangerous riding. If there is dangerous riding, the horse is disqualified – there is no Rule 4. It's the same if a trainer doesn't put a lead bag on – if the trainer doesn't put the lead bag on, that horse cannot win the race."

Pressed on the fact that Alizarine never took part, so couldn't win and should have been declared a non-runner, similar to a horse who didn't enter the stalls, he added: "No, because a horse ran, so for Twinkle to be promoted, we had to disqualify something. It's not straightforward. Alizarine could not win the race, but Aurora Princess was unknowingly tacked up as the wrong horse."
Report mrcombustible July 29, 2021 12:27 PM BST
Yarmouth shambles as wrong horse wins juvenile race at 50-1
McBride admits to ‘genuine mistake’ in identity mix-up
Millie's Kiss (blue cap), running in the name of stablemate Mandarin Princess, wins the opener at Yarmouth from 4-6 favourite Fyre Cay (right)
Millie's Kiss (blue cap), running in the name of stablemate Mandarin Princess, wins the opener at Yarmouth from 4-6 favourite Fyre Cay (right)
Roger Harris
1 of 1
By Peter Scargill and Andrew Dietz
5:56PM, JAN 18 2018

Yarmouth was the scene of an unprecedented mix-up in British racing on Thursday when the 50-1 winner of the opening two-year-old race was later identified as her year-older stablemate who had been due to run later on the card.

Trainer Charlie McBride called the error a "genuine, honest mistake" which had come about due to him being delayed collecting the saddle and then rushing to tack up the horse in time for the race.

He said: "It's a genuine mistake and humans make mistakes. It’s an honest error and no-one stood to gain anything by it.

"I took a young girl who has been with me for two or three months to the races. She’s ridden both fillies and knows them both. After we checked them in we got some lunch and I sent her to get the two-year-old ready and I went to the weighing room to get the saddle.

"I like to weigh my horses out early but I had to wait over 20 minutes for the saddle. The filly was already out when I got back and as I was stressed and rushing I didn’t look that closely - I just assumed it was the right horse."

The mistake was only realised at the post-race sampling unit and after the weighed-in announcement had been made by officials, leaving the racecourse stewards with no power to amend the embarrassing result, which has been referred to the BHA.

McBride added: "They are two brown fillies and if you stood them together I’d be able to tell them apart straight away. I know both fillies but in the heat of the moment I didn’t look at the filly.

"In the paddock and after the race there were a lot of owners and people to deal with. It never dawned on me it was not the right horse."

Mandarin Princess had appeared to cause an upset when winning the 6f novice auction stakes for Newmarket-based McBride and jockey John Egan from 4-6 favourite Fyre Cay.

Charlie McBride: mistake was not spotted until after the weighed-in signal
Charlie McBride: mistake was not spotted until after the weighed-in signal
MARK CRANHAM
However, when the horse was later identified at the sampling unit, where race winners are taken for a blood or urine sample, she was revealed to be Millie’s Kiss, a three-year-old stablemate scheduled to run in the fourth race, a 1m1f handicap.
An inquiry was called by the stewards, but no announcement regarding the race was made on course until 4.12pm, nearly 45 minutes after the mistake had first come to light and over two hours after the race.

In the meantime punters, bookmakers and those connected with the horses were left in a state of confusion and disbelief.

Stipendiary steward Tony McGlone told At The Races: “I've not come across this before. As with all horses they were taken across to the stables, scanned and then were allocated a box each.

'Like a plot out of a Dick Francis novel catastrophically gone astray' - what the bookies are saying

"Mr [Charlie] McBride was over at the weighing room and was slightly delayed and the stable girl had taken the horse out of the stables and into the saddling boxes. As he was in a rush, he put the saddle on, the horse ran and won.

“We then sent the horse for routine testing as normal and the veterinary officer scanned the horse and found it to be the incorrect horse. We've inquired into the matter and it's possibly a genuine mistake.”

He added: “We've referred it to the BHA for further consideration. I think they've got 14 days to lodge an appeal to the winner. The system does work but like all things it's not fail safe.”

Such a situation has not occurred on a British racecourse since the introduction of microchip identification in 1999, and a full investigation is set to be launched by the BHA.

'Result cannot be amended'

A BHA statement said: “The incident at Yarmouth has been referred to the BHA’s head office in order that we can carry out an investigation, in accordance with our rules. Since we introduced the microchipping identification system an incident such as this is, as far as we are aware, unprecedented.

“The issue had not been established until after the result had been made official. After the weighed-in has been declared on the racecourse, the result cannot be amended by the stewards.”

It continued: “The responsibility lies with the trainer to present and run the correct horse in the race. Having said that, and while we have not seen an incident of this nature in recent times, we will of course determine what steps need to be put in place to prevent it from happening again. We sympathise with the betting operators and betting public who have potentially been affected by this incident."

'I thought the lads were taking the mickey'

Egan, who had partnered the McBride-trained horse, questioned why the result had not been amended on course.

"I didn’t know [about the mistake] until the fourth race, I thought the lads were taking the mickey," Egan told ATR.

Rossitor won twice as Aglow, and Aglow ran as Rossitor - more mix-ups

"At the end of the day we’re all human and mistakes happen. I feel most sorry for Charlie and I’m sure there’s no-one more disappointed. There are worse things in the world that happen and we’ll all get over it and move on.

"I’m surprised the stewards didn’t make the race void or disqualify the winner. It’s the wrong horse in the wrong race and it seems very simple to me. I can’t understand that rule."

Layers stunned

On-course bookmaker Dan Hague said: “It's a total embarrassment – it shouldn't really happen in this day and age. As bookmakers we have to abide by the 'weighed in' announcement otherwise there's no end to the business.

“There has to be a cut-off point and they've weighed in and then this has come to light. I took a £1,100 bet on the favourite [Fyre Cay] from a regular customer and to be fair to him he'd said they've weighed in and that's it. I might sort an ex gratia payment with him but how far do you go as I've paid out £400 on the winner?

“You've got to think it's a one-off, but it can never happen again. It's a very sad day for British racing.”
Report lead on August 4, 2021 10:49 AM BST
Alizarene looking for the double in the 2.17 Galway...let's hope Jessie's put her glasses on this timeHappy
Report penzance August 4, 2021 11:00 AM BST
and set her satnav up for Sligo.
Report Brian August 4, 2021 11:07 AM BST
Laugh
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com