Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
elisjohn
22 Jul 21 13:30
| Topic/replies: 17,047 | Blogger: elisjohn's blog
might interest some, my fav   include , the rainbow jacket, and grand national night ,

https://www.britishhorseracingmovies.uk/movies
Pause Switch to Standard View A LIST OF HORSE RACING FILMS SINCE...
Show More
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk July 22, 2021 2:35 PM BST
nice 1 ty ej
Report Lee Ho Fooks July 22, 2021 2:37 PM BST
Seen a few of those, some b&w ones are shown on Talking Pictures channel occasionally.

Went straight through to see if my favourite (Phar Lap) was included then - doh! it's an Australian film.
Report elisjohn July 22, 2021 2:43 PM BST
forgot about my top of the list fav, until seen it on the list,  , just my luck , norman wisdom gets an acca up at g goodwood but fred doesnt want to payLaugh
Report The Pies July 22, 2021 3:08 PM BST
Carrington VC is an omission. David Niven plays an army officer/ amateur jockey who rides in the military chases at Sandown
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk July 22, 2021 3:18 PM BST
The Bitch (1979)
Tagline: "Don't play with fire....."

Starring: Joan Collins, Michael Coby, Kenneth Haigh

Featured Racecourse: Lingfield

Director: Gerry O'Hara
Producers: Brent Walker, Ron Kass, Oscar Lerman, Edward Simons
Writer: Screenplay by Gerry O'Hara, based on novel 'The Bitch' by Jackie Collins

I must have a good hard look at this piece of nostalgia ^^ Grin
Report .Marksman. July 22, 2021 7:44 PM BST
I don't know whether this counts, as it is American, but  Sorrowful Jones is worth watching just to see how Bob Hope (bookie) reacts to the running of the horse that he has laid during the race:  He is confident at the start, because he knows that gangster "Big Steve" has got the horse drugged so that it can't win.  Then, when the horse is out the back of the field, he becomes smug.  Then as it makes progress through the field he is not so sure.  And then, as it hits the front and pulls away, (and it is apparent that the drugs aren't going to work this time), he covers his face with his hands so that he doesn't see it.  But what Bob Hope doesn't know is that Big Steve had given the jockey instructions to pull the horse anyway if it was going to win.  So as the commentator says that it is being passed, Bob Hope very timidly opens his fingers wide enough to just see the TV through them.

There have been times when I've laid some horses to lose more than I should, and I felt for him.
Report elisjohn July 25, 2021 6:49 AM BST
NEVER BACK LOSERS    this morning talking pictures  07.25   

an insurance investigator makes inquiries into the apparent accidental death of a jockey.
Report elisjohn July 25, 2021 6:50 AM BST
Never Back Losers (1961)
Tagline: "Another Edgar Wallace Mystery Thriller"

Starring: Jack Hedley, Jacqueline Ellis, Patrick Magee

Featured Racecourses: Lingfield, Hurst Park

Director: Robert Tronson
Producer: Jack Greenwood
Writer: Lukas Heller

Release Date: December 1961
Runtime: 61 mins

IMDB Two rival gangs are trying to fix horse races and a jockey is attacked and left for dead in a stage-managed car crash. An insurance investigator makes routine inquires into the "accident" and one of the gang leaders feels threatened by this and takes counter measures.

Where to Buy: Amazon
Film Links: IMDB, BFI, Wikipedia
Report elisjohn July 25, 2021 7:14 AM BST
make sure you watch, JUST MY LUCK, today or tomorrow, puts you in the mood for glorious goodwood Grin   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYjoUH-pRLQ
Report andy cap July 25, 2021 10:03 AM BST
Dead Cert- From  Dick Francis novel             https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1RWbT-DlCo&list=PLjeemXH_YVWfIwhc2-1O2vQUv0...
Report cardifffc July 25, 2021 4:24 PM BST
ellisjohn...eddie diamond
Report elisjohn July 25, 2021 4:28 PM BST
Wink, great stuff, tempting him with them cream cakes Laugh
Report cardifffc July 25, 2021 4:28 PM BST
watching it now
Report elisjohn July 25, 2021 4:30 PM BST
oops sorry, ill watch it again tomorrow
Report clacton July 25, 2021 5:38 PM BST
Nice to hear Hurst Park get a mention. Spent most of my youth there.
Report themightymac July 25, 2021 5:58 PM BST
Murphy`s Stroke about the Gay Future Coup at Cartmel for a fiver on ebay.
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk July 25, 2021 6:03 PM BST
Can watch it on youtube mac
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23-VQNQa4Tg
Report themightymac July 25, 2021 8:44 PM BST
Cheers JCM for link. Grin Thanks.
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk July 26, 2021 12:19 PM BST
no worries mac Cool

Found a documentary called "A century of racing" starting with 1900. Also on youtube.
It's a 2 parter with the 1st part narrated by Alistair Down (not seen 2nd part yet)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fumZS4NrImQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQkkwq4HCgY
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk July 26, 2021 1:34 PM BST
The audio went way out of sync on part 2 ^^
Shame
Report angrybryan July 26, 2021 9:45 PM BST
"Let it ride"filmed at the now sadly defunct Hialeah Park in 1989 is a very funny film.Starring Richard Dreyfus,Robbie Coltrane,and the gorgeous JenniferTilly.Aparrently the races were staged along with crowd scenes.The day when every pick came first.Fantasy,it would never happen in real life would it?. Oh!,I had completely forgotten about Frankie in 1996.
Report penzance July 26, 2021 10:02 PM BST
see an old film once when a hit man shoots a horse
during the race from a car park,to aid a robbery at the track.
American film,fck knows what it was called though Laugh
Report The Knight July 26, 2021 10:26 PM BST
Slightly off-topic, or is it?

Anyway, I was born in 1960 and my mum and dad always went to the Derby out on the Downs with their next door neighbours. After my arrival they took me but I don't remember anything until around 1967.

So, it was either 1967, 1968 or 1969 that I sat up on my dad's shoulders and filmed what I presume was the Derby from just before Tattenham Corner through to the finish on my dad's 8mm cine camera.

(I still have all the home movies my mum and dad filmed but no projector anymore, so I haven't seen the Derby footage for 30 years now because they are both long gone. But one day I will find someone with the kit to transfer the film to a computer file.)

However, the point is I can vividly remember just how steady the colour film is and how well I followed the field around the corner and up the straight. No doubt my father was instructing me throughout, but still quite amazing for such a young boy and it must have stood me in good stead for holding up binoculars for much of the rest of my life!!!

Perhaps my vocation was meant to be as a film cameraman before the punting took over not too many years later...!
Report Tiger Tiger July 26, 2021 10:26 PM BST
Is 'Come on George' on anyone's list?

George Formby at his best Laugh 

"I'm Making Headway Now", "I Couldn't Let The Stable Down", "Pardon Me", and "Goodnight Little Fellow, Goodnight"
Report Ramruma July 27, 2021 5:45 AM BST
Come On George is indeed on the original list -- see link in OP.
Report LoyalHoncho July 27, 2021 1:25 PM BST
George Formby at his best is a contradiction in terms.  Jimmy Krankie puts him bang in the shade.  Not in the same league.
Report themightymac July 27, 2021 1:45 PM BST
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com