Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
18 Jul 21 15:25
| Topic/replies: 13,884 | Blogger: screaming from beneaththewaves's blog
Three out of three at Newton for the Dorset diddicoy!

Elsworth seething!
Pause Switch to Standard View Well done, WGM Turner
Show More
Report onlooker July 18, 2021 3:30 PM BST
Not enamoured with that Burberry Shirt  Cry , though... 

No Fashion Sense.  Happy

Neither have the people who buy ANYTHING Burberry, too.

The most unappealing colour combination imaginable.
Report sparrow July 18, 2021 3:32 PM BST
Winner last Thursday at Chepstow on the flat too but a while since he won the Brocklesby.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves July 18, 2021 3:47 PM BST
A while since he's had one of those Scottish raids too.

Back in the 80s I rented a house on Stowell Hill Stud, near Wincanton, and the head man at the stud told me how he'd once sold a horse of his own on to Turner, and been paid with a huge wad of notes from Clydesdale bank, the Bank of Scotland, etc.
Report sparrow July 18, 2021 4:10 PM BST
I remember that punch up with Elsworth and I think it came after the time that they worked together. He always had some good early 2 year olds back then.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves July 18, 2021 4:22 PM BST
They both worked for Ricky Vallance, but they were still scrapping with each other on the cobbles four decades later. Declan Amiss was also at Vallance's at the time, and he went on to be the man who travelled Turner's 2yos up to places like Hamilton Park on a Friday night.
Report sparrow July 18, 2021 4:43 PM BST
Ah yes Ricky Vallance which always reminded me of that best selling UK No 1 record "Tell Laura I Love Her" by Ricky Valance in 1960. Grin
Report onlooker July 18, 2021 5:41 PM BST
Didn't Trainer - Major 'Ricky' Vallance - end up being WARNED OFF.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves July 18, 2021 7:38 PM BST
I think it's fair to say that having a cast of characters like that in your yard, there was always going to be a bit of friction with the authorities at some point!
Report Gull1 July 18, 2021 11:04 PM BST
Ricky Vallance was warned off. It concerned a runner at Exeter.
THe horses name had Brief in his name. Ridden by stylish Johnny Haine. It turned out Elsie was training the horse before he had a licence.
Report sparrow July 19, 2021 7:02 AM BST
He has been getting involved for 35 years. He started by helping out/running the show at Lieutenant Colonel Ricky Vallance's yard at Bishop's Canning in Wiltshire. Their most impressive winner was Red Candle, who won the Mackeson at 20-1 and defeated Red Rum to win the Hennessy. 'It was lovely,' says Elsworth. 'When you're young everything is more romantic.'

Perhaps their best-backed winner was Well Briefed at Exeter. Too well backed, maybe, as the Lieutenant Colonel was banned and Elsworth had to work as a market trader and a security guard at Stonehenge while waiting to be granted his licence.

The wait lasted until 1978 - 'I wasn't regarded as training material,' he says - and ended thanks to the intervention of the Jockey Club's Colonel Sir Piers Bengough. 'I knew the Colonel when he was Captain and I was a stable lad. He very kindly stuck in a word for me.'

His first Flat winner was Raffia Set at Salisbury, which was backed down from 33-1 to 16-1. 'We drank so much champagne that we were standing in the middle of the racecourse bar surrounded by empty bottles in a circle just like Stonehenge,' he says.

'From my first 10 runners we had six or seven winners. I had the horses organised and every time we were beat I wanted to know why. I think I was a better trainer then.'
Report sparrow July 19, 2021 7:55 AM BST
with 340-1 treble for Bill Turner
Bill Turner (right) enjoyed three wins from three runners, all ridden by Harry Kimber
Bill Turner (right) enjoyed three wins from three runners, all ridden by Harry Kimber
Edward Whitaker (racingpost.com/photos)
1 of 1
By Catherine Macrae
UPDATED 8:31PM, JUL 18 2021

They say good things come in threes and that was certainly the case for conditional Harry Kimber as he landed a 340-1 treble 488 days on from his last winner.

The 21-year-old, who had gone 100 rides without success, made it three wins from three rides on the card, all for trainer Bill Turner.

A delighted Kimber told Sky Sports Racing: "I haven't ridden a winner in a while, so it means even more for me. I was over the moon that I'd even ridden a double. I've probably not even had three runners in a day before, it's absolutely fantastic."

Oscars Fame struck first for Kimber and Turner in the 2m2½f maiden hurdle, the seven-year-old owned by Kimber's family, before Scrappy Jack made it back-to-back Newton Abbot wins in the juvenile hurdle.

The treble was sealed by Youvebrokenmydream in an eventful novice handicap hurdle, as Kimber capitalised on the misfortunes of Charlie Price, who was forced to finish the race with a slipped saddle after 66-1 shot Gibraltarian jinked at the second-last and could manage only third.

With just seven wins to his name before Sunday's meeting, Newton Abbot will be a course to savour for Kimber and for Turner, who largely focuses on the Flat.

Turner has now racked up four jumps winners this month, with his last jumps success before that coming in January 2018.
Report shoodacoodadidnt July 19, 2021 9:55 AM BST
Great! But how do you explain going from no winners in 488 days to 3 in a day and no jumps winners since 2018 to 3 in a day? As a punter, you're certainly left scratching your head. ?? ... and they were all fancied.
Report Reynard July 19, 2021 10:03 AM BST
Am I right in thinking Bill Turner used to observe the gallops on a Zebra ?
Report sparrow July 19, 2021 10:20 AM BST
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1190753/Racehorse-trainer-rides-pet...
Report Reynard July 19, 2021 10:27 AM BST
Thanks , sparrow . Bill Turner used to send the occasional runner up to Thirsk for a seller or juvenile maiden . If he was drinking in the 'Little Three' (Three Tuns) the evening before you could be reasonably confident Wink
Report screaming from beneaththewaves July 19, 2021 12:16 PM BST
shoodacoodadidnt - read it properly. It's the jockey who had gone 488 days without a winner, not the trainer.
Report shoodacoodadidnt July 19, 2021 7:06 PM BST
screaming - read my post properly - yes I know what both stats refer to and I'm asking how do you go from those stats to 3 winners in the day for BOTH the Jockey AND the Trainer
Report screaming from beneaththewaves July 19, 2021 7:34 PM BST
1. What's the problem with the trainer's stats? He's had three winners on the Flat this year, now he's having some on the jumps too.

2. What the hell is wrong with a struggling jockey persevering and putting in the effort on decent-priced horses and winning on them? Or do you expect jockeys not to try if they're out of form?
Report shoodacoodadidnt July 19, 2021 10:44 PM BST
1. The trainer had had no jumps winners since 2018
2. Perseverance is great - I admire him - I am merely pointing out how difficult this game is - there are many ways to play but many use stats - if a jockey hadn't had a winner in 488 days, you MIGHT be surprised by one win, even more by two, but three out of three with such a stat might make you sit up and say WTF!
3. Don't tell me to "read it properly" and then talk so much sh*t - we can't all be as smart as you clealry believe yourself to be
Thank you for your kind words and your wisdom
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com