Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Greenacres
15 Jul 21 10:58
| Topic/replies: 210 | Blogger: Greenacres's blog
Why only 25 minutes between the first and second race at Chepstow?
Pause Switch to Standard View 25 minutes between races
Show More
Report sparrow July 15, 2021 12:17 PM BST
Something probably to do with the 2.15 at Killarney.
Report sparrow July 15, 2021 12:18 PM BST
And add to that Chantilly and Vaal also at 2.15 Cry
Report pablo-fanque July 15, 2021 1:39 PM BST
i have never seen that before

anyone else ?
Report .Marksman. July 15, 2021 1:44 PM BST
Not for 50 years.  But, in the 1970s, evening meetings often had 25 minute spacing for all the races so that they could be started at 6:30 and finish before dark.
Report SeeMoreBusiness July 15, 2021 2:10 PM BST
had it been 1hr 25 mins they may have had a chance of getting off on time. As it is, the usual shambles has begun with the prize for "hopeless trainer of the day" going to J O'Shea as his mule walks to the straight 7f start
Report TheAnorak July 15, 2021 3:58 PM BST
Windsor only stopped having 25 minute gaps for the first two or three races at an evening meeting in the mid 90's. They were forced to change by the need to have a race every 15 minutes in the shops once they were open in the evening.
Report unitedbiscuits July 15, 2021 4:28 PM BST
This part of the racegoer experience is redundant now:- looking around the betting ring for value.

I'm not old enough to remember the roar of the ring but at Royal Ascot and other meetings it was worth checking the bookmakers' boards, and there may have been a hundred.

What is the ring now? Wasn't at the last Ascot meeting but a betfair poster said there were six pitches of which five were the same outfit. On television the crowd could be heard chanting "It's coming home" while the field were racing through Swinley Bottom. What's the point of having extra time before a race when the crowd does not pay attention even when the race is running?
Report jackdaw July 15, 2021 4:53 PM BST
I seem to remember Alexandra Park having 25 min between some of its races at evening meetings up to its closure in 1970.
Report sparrow July 15, 2021 4:56 PM BST
I remember the same at Ally Pally, jackdaw.
Report unitedbiscuits July 15, 2021 5:13 PM BST
Less time could be better for loading the critters too..race without any horse that won't go in 2nd time.

Don't mind useless trainers provided their horses load ok.
Report posy July 16, 2021 9:47 AM BST
Agree with united biscuits on this one;should be two attempts to walk into stalls and then that's it . The bha need to get a grip on the starting situation and should consider fining courses who don't keep to the scheduled off time.
Report The Management July 16, 2021 10:54 AM BST
Agree with the sentiment - but withdrawing or racing without horses that refuse to enter the stalls a couple of times is not really a viable solution:

It would lead to R4 deductions on pretty much every race - last minute liquidity on here would drop in anticipation of the application of Betfairs' flawed reduction factors (and let's face it - last minute is the only liquidity that there is on here!). Races with multiple withdrawals only serve to amplify how flawed BF's reduction factors are.  The (off-course) each-way terms would be altered on many races (again, anticipation of this would lead to a massive reduction of turnover) - eight, nine and even ten horse races would become unplayable each-way as would handicaps with fields of between 16-20. Why penalise the punter?
Report sparrow July 16, 2021 11:28 AM BST
Just send people to America to show them how to get horses in the stalls.
Report stu July 16, 2021 12:28 PM BST
They had problems race I saw yesterday sparrow - they were 2yo fillies to be fair, but one got loose another w/d all while loading, race was about 25 mins late off trying to catch the loose one.
Report stu July 16, 2021 12:29 PM BST
Though in general they are far better at it in the US I agree.
Report sparrow July 16, 2021 1:40 PM BST
That would have been a very rare occurrence, stu.
Report stu July 16, 2021 2:20 PM BST
Yeh, first time I've seen such problems watching US stalls for some time - one broke out the front I think, and another upset so withdrawn.
Report sparrow July 16, 2021 2:25 PM BST
I would have expected an outrider to soon catch the loose horse.
Report stu July 16, 2021 2:27 PM BST
It was a little odd that, but they waited for an age - though potentially there was an injury problem also added to it, either horse or jock...Like you say the outriders would usually mop things up, unlike UK where we have none.
Report ashleigh July 25, 2021 3:20 PM BST
3 races at musselburgh today with 25min gaps, will be interesting to see if they keep it up for the other sunday series days.
WhoopsWhoopsWhoops my mistake when the final day is sandown, will struggle with 35 mins.Laugh
Report Blackrock July 25, 2021 3:43 PM BST
Racecourse executive at Dundalk tried 25 mins gap between races, about 5 years ago i reckon.

Jockeys went on a go slow and the meeting finished at the same time as if they had 30 min gaps. Dundalk hasn't tried that one since.
Report TheAnorak July 25, 2021 4:22 PM BST
Ash,

Based on the info in the online program book, Haydock will have three 25 minute gaps, Sandown will have two, with 30 minutes for the rest.

Both those meetings, first race 3:55, Musselburgh last race 6:40, Sandown 6:45. If we were offering a spread bet on the off time for the last at Sandown, I'd say the market would open at 6:52 - 6:53!
Report ashleigh July 25, 2021 4:36 PM BST
the anorak thanks, do you think these sunday night fixtures will catch on if the prize money is good.
was wondering if the betting shops still have to shut at 6pm.
Report TheAnorak July 25, 2021 5:09 PM BST
I'm sure they'll be popular with owners, because there are very few opportunities elsewhere to run 80 rated horses for such good prize money. Not so sure that trainers, jockeys, stable staff will be so keen - getting home late on a Sunday evening won't be popular. Noticeable that the journey times and timing seem to have had some effect on fields at Musselburgh.

I was amazed that a 1M 6F hcp worth thirty grand doesn't have a single Mark Johonston runner. He does have horses there, but perhaps he opted to only send one horsebox, so as to limit the number of staff needed.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com