Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
DIFERENT GRAVY 12
12 Jul 21 21:09
| Topic/replies: 4,075 | Blogger: DIFERENT GRAVY 12's blog
British and Irish racing will find itself at the centre of a Panorama documentary next Monday that purports to shine an uncomfortable light on what happens to horses after their careers in racing are finished.

The documentary, which carries the title 'The Dark Side of Horse Racing', will be broadcast on BBC One at 8.30pm and is expected to focus on horses who are euthanised or end up in the food chain via British abattoirs.

It is uncertain who will figure in the documentary, although the Racing Post understands there will be British and Irish elements to the piece. Some trainers who have been contacted by the programme makers have elected not to comment at this stage due to the uncertainty over what will appear in the final cut.

A blurb advertising the documentary on the BBC website reads: "Horseracing is one of the most popular and profitable sports, a £5 billion industry in the UK and Ireland followed by millions. Panorama reporter Darragh MacIntyre investigates what can happen to racehorses when their careers end.

"The industry says that racing is now safer than ever, that the number of deaths on the track is falling and that the animals are looked after in retirement. Panorama discovers that off the track, many horses suffer career-ending injuries, and rather than being rehabilitated or retrained for life outside the sport, racehorses that have been owned and trained by some of the biggest names in the industry, have been put down, some meeting grisly deaths."

Neither the BHA nor Horse Racing Ireland wished to comment on the documentary without knowing the details of what will be shown.

Panorama has previously broadcast damaging racing exposes, with its 2002 episode entitled 'The Corruption of Racing' focusing primarily on poor practice within what was then the Jockey Club, prior to a 2008 episode called 'Racing's Dirty Secrets'. That probe ultimately led to trainer Karl Burke being disqualified for a year for associating with the warned-off gambler Miles Rodgers, while jockeys Fergal Lynch and Darren Williams also served suspensions for their respective roles in a race-fixing saga.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 153
By:
KeMoH
When: 12 Jul 21 21:26
im all for racing to be scrutinized where necessary, but theres something very sinister, something very anti-british about the way the bbc conducts these investigations. leaves a foul taste in the mouth...
By:
MJK
When: 12 Jul 21 21:33
I hope they don't just focus on the black horses
By:
DIFERENT GRAVY 12
When: 12 Jul 21 21:39
Wouldn't happen if BBC still covered racing. I'd much rather know how they can spend £58,000 on tea & coffee in the last 12 months when 16k of the 22k staff have been working from home!
By:
fife
When: 12 Jul 21 22:20
Works out at less than 20p a week per staff member working in office Confused but at least it gives you an excuse to have a dig at the BBC.
By:
hulk23
When: 12 Jul 21 22:26
bbc ?  the same bbc that did nothing about saville & hall ?
By:
DIFERENT GRAVY 12
When: 12 Jul 21 22:32
Fife you are assuming everyone drinks tea and coffee!!

Why should they get it paid for when it is publicly funded.

A totally corrupt organisation.
By:
fife
When: 12 Jul 21 22:44
While I would agree the BBC is not perfect when I look at the alternatives I am grateful we have them.
By:
know all
When: 12 Jul 21 23:44
lets face it if horses are being used this way then it will be unacceptable and get ready for the sport to be battered
By:
swiftynifty
When: 12 Jul 21 23:50
If it's anything like the Australian version a while back on ABC it will be incredibly damaging.
By:
GEORGE.B
When: 13 Jul 21 08:07
Some trainers who have been contacted by the programme makers have elected not to comment at this stage

A few sleepless nights ahead for "some trainers"?
By:
know all
When: 13 Jul 21 08:34
undercover stable hands and the like ? its going to be bad, damage limitation ahead, when post breaks a story like this its a warning to the industry to say nothing when they confront you imo
By:
EastLower Gooner
When: 13 Jul 21 08:45
There was a lovely video a while back on Godolphin horses that had been retired due to injury…most heartwarming.

But sadly you have the dark side like the Japanese turning Ferdinand into dog food.
By:
Slicer
When: 13 Jul 21 12:35
Horse Lives Matter!
By:
Slicer
When: 13 Jul 21 12:37
Everyone down on one knee in the squelchy mud at Royal Ascot in their dress suits & designer gowns!
By:
werbie
When: 13 Jul 21 13:04
A small group of us were watching early morning gallops with a midlands trainer a few years back.  The trainer told us a nice handicapper/Listed class horse owned by a high profile owner had injured itself a few days earlier on the gallops and would likely never race again. The trainer spoke to the owner about the horse and told him that the animal could spend the rest its days in paddocks at the training base and would be well looked after. The owner said, have it put down. The trainer told the owner that the lass that looked after it would be devastated. The horse had been with the stable good few years and was a popular member of the yard.
The owner was having none of it and repeated that the horse would be put down. The trainer thought that the owner wanted the horse destroyed because, in the very unlikely event that the horse could ever compete again it could be in someone else's colours. The trainer assured the owner the animal would never race again, but the horse was removed from the yard and put down. The trainer in question told the owner to remove the remaining horses at the yard and had nothing further to do with him. 
What a cretin!

I can't mention any names but the owner is titled.
By:
Cork Langer
When: 13 Jul 21 13:09
Need a destroyed certificate to be paid under their insurance policy
By:
brians
When: 13 Jul 21 13:11
What about a cryptic clue ?
By:
barstool
When: 13 Jul 21 13:21
The likes of the BBC will not be happy until all sports involving animal use are banned. The same goes for all animals in captivity displayed for human pleasure. There will always be one or two  bad apples in the barrel marring the rest and plenty bearing grudges to expose them. Cheap and easy journalism. I wont be watching this publicity stunt.

The license payer money would be better spent looking into corruption in horse racing and gambling. To be fair on this point though, they are probably oblivious to how much fraud is going on.
By:
barstool
When: 13 Jul 21 13:43
You only need to look at the sports page on the web to see how horse racing is viewed by the BBC. Behind the like of tennis, athletics, boxing etc. Horse Racing features on another page along with Disability Sports, Basketball, Netball and Gymnastics. Greyhound Racing not featured at all.

That in itself tells you all you need to know.
By:
YDNA_got_it_right_now
When: 13 Jul 21 13:48
Has this programme got anything o do with the war celeste story

https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/horse-sold-for-240000-but-found-starving-in-filthy-barn-beats-the-odds-to-thrive-in-loving-home-752157/amp
By:
swiftynifty
When: 13 Jul 21 13:54
werbie, this is an anonymous forum, name and shame the ****
By:
Slicer
When: 13 Jul 21 14:05
This forum is not anonymous. With the current climate of racism allegations, be VERY careful what you post. If ANYONE knows your REAL name-ie BetFair can link your forum name with your account-you can be traced. BE WARY!!
By:
onlooker
When: 13 Jul 21 14:39
What are Trainers and Owners MEANT to do with EVERY 'ended racing' racehorse?

There is Not enough land to build houses on - for  the Home Team - let alone the influx of 'fleeing oppression and torture' immigrants... aswell.

So - There is certainly Nowhere near enough spare grass for all these 'retired' racehorses to graze on- for innumerable years to come.

The best ones go on to Breed - The rest ...

How many 'retired racehorses has J P McManus got back at Martinstown? ... The better ones - Yes ...

Had he had to KEEP  ALL of the rest .... He would have filled every blade of grass in the whole of County Limerick ...

Simply NOT feasible.
By:
swiftynifty
When: 13 Jul 21 14:44
That winner True Romance reminded me of its previous trainer James Given who is now Director of equine health and welfare with the British Horseracing Authority. I wonder if he'll be appearing in this programme.
By:
Gordon63
When: 13 Jul 21 14:52
if the BBC have real information on welfare issues within the horse racing industry in either UK or Ireland then I for one will thank them for identifying and investigating, makes you wonder if the BHA focus on diversity/inclusivity has impacted their own welfare operations...let's see
By:
swiftynifty
When: 13 Jul 21 15:41
onlooker, it is every trainer's duty to attempt to rehome every retiring racehorse. It was also his duty to report that owner to the BHA.
By:
posy
When: 13 Jul 21 15:45
What concerns me is the inference that a number of trainers have spoken to Panorama and are now worrying as to what is going to be shown.Suggests they've been indiscreet with some of their comments ,probably made to an attractive bbc dolly bird producer.
By:
sparrow
When: 13 Jul 21 15:52
Should these people have not spoken to the BBC and kept quiet about whatever they knew?
By:
posy
When: 13 Jul 21 15:56
Any approach from the media to discuss what is likely to be a sensitive subject as far as the industry is concerned should clearly be directed to the BHA.
By:
.Marksman.
When: 13 Jul 21 16:06
I have never eaten horse meat, but I would give it a try if it was available in the butchers or supermarket.  It would make a change from chicken, ham and corned beef.  If you already eat poultry, sheep, bullocks, pigs etc. I can't see how eating horses is any different.
However, if you are a veggie/vegan you will be probably be opposed to all animals being raised in captivity, so why single out horse racing?
By:
mitolo
When: 13 Jul 21 16:16
these programmes are never good news. if the beeb investigated and found everything ok then the programme would be canned. i just hope it isnt as grizzly as that horrible stephen mahon bollix, who should be in jail. and a sense of perspective maintained. if you really wanted to find something you always will. the re-homing of racehorses is a big prob, partly caused by there being too many of them. breeders have some responsibility for this. they are addicted to the camel-banger cash.

we cant do as they do in the middle and far east, and just shoot the things. the public wouldnt have it
By:
sparrow
When: 13 Jul 21 16:18
The debate should be about the welfare of horses and not whoever investigates it.
By:
KeMoH
When: 13 Jul 21 16:33
wouldnt surprise me if it was martin bashir fronting the investigation. the bbc needs disbanding
By:
Carveth
When: 13 Jul 21 16:50
My main worry is that this gets “media managed” by the industry and remains unresolved. The BHA may choose to refer us all to the Horse Welfare Board: A life well lived. It would be good to know what progress is being made on this front particularly in terms of traceability across the lifetime of horses bred for racing (that includes those who don’t make the grade). Once the evidence base is established, we can start to answer questions, for example how many eventually are sent to slaughter, using the data. Any attempt to delay the creation of this evidence base should be resisted.

In section 9.4 of A life well lived the HWB underline the importance of “Working with the Racehorse Owners Association(ROA) and BHA on owner education schemes, so racehorse owners, and prospective owners, understand that they are ultimately accountable for the horse, particularly when its racing career is over, and they are equipped to exercise that duty of care”. So, the responsibility should lie with the owner. A watchful eye should be kept on owners who do not act in the best interest of the horse once it’s career ceases.

The HWB suggest there needs to be an effective model for the aftercare sector. In bold letters they state, “responsibility must be taken by the whole industry”. I would like to think that the wealthier elements of the industry would be major contributors.

Under the heading of Euthanasia they say ”euthanasia is an important part of the welfare mix when used responsibly, ethically and in the best interests of the animal”.

Picking up on the thread above about the owner insisting the horse should be destroyed the HWB state that “Euthanasia is also sometimes utilised for economic reasons, when a horse is potentially treatable” and go onto say that “While this is also sometimes a valid route it should only happen once other options have been properly assessed”. This again should be the responsibility of the owner.

The HWB recommend the development of a single euthanasia code of practice, with a clear decision process or decision tree, that is adopted and clearly communicated by the whole industry, to ensure consistency and better understanding”. Sounds like the owner referred to above wouldn’t have got past go.
By:
Ramruma
When: 13 Jul 21 17:37
@.Marksman. re horsemeat. One problem is that it limits the drugs that can be used to treat sick horses, if there is a possibility they will end up in the human food chain.
By:
.Marksman.
When: 13 Jul 21 17:40
Ramruma, thats a good point.  I don't fancy ingesting Lasix!
By:
posy
When: 13 Jul 21 17:52
horsemeat very common in France and elsewhere on the continent...expect we've all eaten it perhaps unknowingly over there.
By:
DIFERENT GRAVY 12
When: 13 Jul 21 17:54
Tastes like chicken but I'd rather have chicken
By:
bullraider
When: 13 Jul 21 18:20
i feel sick now
Page 1 of 4  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page