Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Newmarket-spurs
09 Jul 21 21:08
| Topic/replies: 298 | Blogger: Newmarket-spurs's blog
I placed my first ever bet on a Henry Cecil horse in 1986. In the last 35 years by a country mile the worst jockey I have ever known is Andrea Atzeni.
AGAIN he manages with Aquaman to find a way to get beat on the best horse in the race. A one off race you can make excuses for him. However this happens EVERY.SINGLE TIME!!!!

His stats are terrible despite the fact he gets to ride most of the favs for Varian and his big owner retainer.
Pause Switch to Standard View Atzeni - the worst jockey I've known...
Show More
Report Big muff July 9, 2021 9:25 PM BST
Even worse than Jim Crowley???
Report basilbrush July 9, 2021 9:47 PM BST
I would be wary of any man named Andrea tbh. Far worse than Atzeni out there, but he has definitely lost his way. I think we are in the midst of the worst, most incompetent, bunch of male jockeys ever by some considerable way.
Report Newmarket-spurs July 9, 2021 9:47 PM BST
Crowley def doesnt deserve the Hamden Maktoum job thats for sure but he is far better than Atzeni.
Report Cork Langer July 9, 2021 9:48 PM BST
Each individual is of course entitled to their opinion, not sure you would get too many agreeing with you on this though, there have been some really awful "riders" that would make AA look decent
Report Newmarket-spurs July 9, 2021 9:50 PM BST
basilbrush .... thank you!! I thought it was just me looking back at the past with rose tinted glasses. So many of the so called top jockeys are absolutely atrocious. Probably why Frankie will ride to 60 as he is laughing at them. Their tactical awareness is just laughable. Atzeni cant even keep a horse straight!
Report basilbrush July 9, 2021 9:52 PM BST
The desire to win seems to be seriously lacking in so many of our current jockeys, no doubt riding to trainers orders having been told not to win or place, we see it in virtually every race every single day. Owners must be in on it too or they would remove their horses from their trainers after watching there horses going backwards left right and centre. I suppose an owner is happy enough to lay their horses and nick a few quid, their not machines you know.
Report Newmarket-spurs July 9, 2021 9:53 PM BST
Cork - I should probably qualify the opinion. He is by far the most over rated and out of the so called top jockeys is an absolute embarrassment. Follow Varians stable and you'll quickly see my point.... He has a 12% win ratio this year with the pick of the rides. Many many favs and fancied horses finishing 2nd through his errors like today!
Report WHOKNOWSTHEBOWLER July 9, 2021 9:54 PM BST
Thought this was rubbish about Adzani, but looking at the stats, he rarely rides a winner above 4/1, and his percentages are poor given he rides horses mainly for Varian, and alsomainly horses towards the front of the betting. In last 2 weeks his retirn is 10% ...poor.
I would only back him at Doncaster where he seems to thrive, straight and wide track.
Report basilbrush July 9, 2021 9:55 PM BST
Its not just you mate, the situation with jockeys is ludicrous at best, most right headed people realise this. I do think the non triers are the biggest problem though, and obviously its the jocks that make sure they dont win at any costs, we see it every day mate.
Report basilbrush July 9, 2021 9:59 PM BST
I made the point a while back that the only two jocks who are even remotely trustworthy and try to win on the vast majority of their mounts, are Dettori, and Keane in Ireland.
Report Newmarket-spurs July 9, 2021 10:11 PM BST
I certainly think we have the worst crop of jockeys today for many a year. I dont understand how Atzeni keeps his job with Varian and his retainer. He rides all the best horses for the stable but every stat is way down on Egan and Mitchell the 2nd / 3rd string jockeys. Stats aside the real life evidence of all his F*** ups are there to see.
He has to get fired soon? Surely?
Report Newmarket-spurs July 9, 2021 10:15 PM BST
WhoKnows .... If you dont follow the Varian stable than most people dont believe me. If you haven't seen his countless disasters (like today) then the stats back me up. 12% riding favs and as you said horses towards the top of the betting AND having the pick of which horses to ride that day for the stable. Egan & Mitchell have much better stable stats than Atzeni. Mitchell is riding DOUBLE the win percentage as 3rd string jockey!! Its there to see.
Report harry callaghan July 9, 2021 10:26 PM BST
WhoKnows .... If you dont follow the Varian stable than most people dont believe me. If you haven't seen his countless disasters (like today) then the stats back me up. 12% riding favs and as you said horses towards the top of the betting AND having the pick of which horses to ride that day for the stable. Egan & Mitchell have much better stable stats than Atzeni. Mitchell is riding DOUBLE the win percentage as 3rd string jockey!! Its there to see.

What stats have you got on Egan and Mitchell in regards stats at grade 1 tracks…it’s all well and good just cherry picking, in Mitchell’s case gaff tracks. Egan hasn’t set the world alight either since that big race win in Saudi.

I agree Andrea isn’t riding great this season but he is still a top class jockey although this season he has lacked confidence, so don’t agree with your nonsense statement that he’s a poor jockey and worst since 1986 however this season he has lacked confidence in the saddle
Report harry callaghan July 9, 2021 10:33 PM BST
And I’ll add that deep closer that beat aquaman today has stiffed 3 others horses getting up close home on all occasions so was the ride really that bad? Plus the horse wasn’t helping atzeni by refusing to change leads in the furlong
Report Newmarket-spurs July 9, 2021 10:39 PM BST
Harry - in one race you can make excuses and say - horse did this, bad luck, this happened, nothing he could do blah blah blah... It happens EVERY . SINGLE . TIME.
Come back on here and call me out when he wins a race through out smarting the other jockeys, clever  tactics or superior race riding and he wins on the 2nd 3rd 4th  best horse in the race. Dettori, Buick & Murphy do it all the time...... I'll wait....
Report harry callaghan July 9, 2021 10:45 PM BST
What other races recently has this happened Newmarket just so I can understand your reasoning in regards it happening every time and I’ll have a look…

You’ll never get me to agree on Oisin Murphy, he’s got more convictions than any other rider riding for me.
Report driver2 July 10, 2021 3:45 AM BST
harry, don't try and understand the reasoning of someone who's talking through his pocket, it's part and parcel of horse racing. Hayley Turner commented on it yesterday saying that jockeys have to have thick skins as they hear this cr@p on a daily basis, as do we.
Report chipbutty July 10, 2021 11:40 AM BST
NASA keeping a keen eye on this thread. Surely some particle physicists and quantum mechanic experts masquerading as horse racing punters.
Report LoyalHoncho July 10, 2021 12:04 PM BST
I can't quite work out who is the most incompetent here - Atzeni or the OP?
If he's that poor WHY ARE YOU STILL LOSING DOSH ON HIM?
And if you're not emptying your tank on his losers WHY DO EVEN CARE?
Give it a rest, you've made your point!
Report fairweather July 10, 2021 12:21 PM BST
Last 5 Seasons, to a £1 stake tells a story..

Atzeni.  -£396.81
Dettori. +£18.27
Report differentdrum July 10, 2021 12:21 PM BST
Yes the title is an exaggeration, but the general point about the general mediocrity of the weighing room is correct, and has been for several years.

There is always someone who will come up with the brainwave of avoiding backing said 'unreliable' jockey/trainer. If the list is endless then you are faced with an actual choice of betting or not. In reality you just hope they won't mess up on enough occasions to return a profit. That doesn't mean anyone should stop highlighting duff rides because let's face it if you don't do it, nobody does. Unless you are very lucky then I suspect it is the same situation for most punters.
Report tanglefoot July 10, 2021 12:23 PM BST
Rides Fujairah Prince today,goes well at York,and has had a break.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com