Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
sparrow
03 Jul 21 05:21
| Topic/replies: 39,731 | Blogger: sparrow's blog
That great old race The Eclipse having just 4 runners is scarcely believable but it appears that those at the top end just don't seem bothered. Time for some redistribution of prize money?
Pause Switch to Standard View 4 runners in a £600,000 race!
Show More
Report FOYLESWAR July 3, 2021 6:55 AM BST
not defending it but very expensive going through the declaration stages ,ok if you are minted and have too much rather than enough ,not sure how much to supplement but unless you have something top class, 4th or 5th at best if you do cough up .
Report Stark July 3, 2021 7:23 AM BST
Agreed that entry fees are costly, but really? Four runners? It has to be pointed out once again that week in, week out, there are listed races that wouldn't take a great deal of winning only attracting a handful of runners, but decent sized fields declared for much lower value handicaps. I only have so much sympathy for owners moaning about lack of prize money.
Report TheAnorak July 3, 2021 8:26 AM BST
OK, so I own a 78 rated handicapper. Are you saying I should have entered the Eclipse on May 11th, paid out seven grand in entry fess, on the off chance that there would only be four other runners?

Or that because I didn't enter for the Eclipse, I musn't complain about prize money offered for class 4/5 handicap?

The question to be asked here, is does the Eclipse need to be worth £600k, or would it be just as attractive for half that much. Which would allow Sandown to add £2k to every other race they stage during the year.
Report sparrow July 3, 2021 8:41 AM BST
The question to be asked here, is does the Eclipse need to be worth £600k, or would it be just as attractive for half that much. Which would allow Sandown to add £2k to every other race they stage during the year.

That was what I was exactly what I was asking and would certainly not expect owners of horses rated in their 70s or 80s either to enter.
Report sparrow July 3, 2021 8:42 AM BST
*That was exactly what I was asking
Report Ramruma July 3, 2021 9:17 AM BST
You can't halve the Eclipse prize money then redistribute it to handicaps without the agreement of Corals, who sponsor the Eclipse (and indeed the whole card). Corals might prefer more runners but they will also be looking at how many times the word Coral is used in the papers and on telly.
Report 11kv July 3, 2021 9:38 AM BST
Same old group of owners and trainers,race wont be making any headlines for Corals imo.Money wasted.
Report TheAnorak July 3, 2021 9:56 AM BST
Corals 'sponsor the Eclipse' is a phrase that tends to suggest they provide all the prize money. We can't know the reality as the figures will never be made public, but my best guess is that they pay, at most, £250k for the entire card to advertise their brand.

And the money they pay goes direct to the racecourse - sponsorship money isn't automatically added to the prize fund. As I found out when I sponsored a race, paid a grand to the course, and the prize money for the race stayed exactly the same as before.

In effect, money from sponsors, probably better described as advertisers, is just another part of racecourse income, and the course management make the decision on how to use that money.

Running the Eclipse as a £600k race is just more of the pointless ego boosting that courses indulge in - like kids in the playground shouting 'my Group 1 is bigger than your Group 1'. They'll justify it as being important to compete with the Prince Of wales and the Juddmonte International.
Report Storm Alert July 3, 2021 9:57 AM BST
This year there seems to be a bit of changing of the guard with the older horses (some retired some not running well) and coupled with a very average year for three years so far, I'm surprised some trainers have not chanced their arm today. Unless it is a difficult to qualify for and and if prize money did go down to 6th place, many of them see about as negative as Southgate?
Report LoyalHoncho July 3, 2021 10:05 AM BST
Having checked this morning the race only pays 4th place, not fifth and sixth, unless of course they have changed it because of the way it has cut up.  Which makes El Drama the horse of the day!  £32K for just turning up - just about doubling his career earnings from his previous five runs!  Varian himself is normally a serial puller of horses so it is ironic really.
Report posy July 3, 2021 10:08 AM BST
From memory it was scheduled to pay £16k for 5th and £8k for 6th.
Report TheAnorak July 3, 2021 10:11 AM BST
Checking on original entries, there were 45 entered on May 11th, 14 of those dropped out at the second entry stage, then 24 dropped out at the five day stage, leaving seven that reduced to four when declaration were made on Thursday.

In total, owners have paid Sandown £209,300 in entry fees.
Report Storm Alert July 3, 2021 10:17 AM BST
When seven left in doesn't make much sense to drop out unless injured. Good ground is ok for everyone even if not optimal for some.
Report Storm Alert July 3, 2021 10:20 AM BST
I suspect the owners left are so rich 8 or 16k means nothing. Some of the smaller owners weren't prepared to pay entry money as couldn't have expected it would only be four runners. Suggests the entry system is a bit broken as not encouraging larger fields in some of the G1 races like this.
Report acey deucy July 3, 2021 10:22 AM BST
I dont have a problem with only four runners when you have a field of this quality.
Report zipperdidoda July 3, 2021 10:40 AM BST
ADDEYBB is top rated on official figs at 125 and is 3rd fav
Report Storm Alert July 3, 2021 10:59 AM BST
Addeybb has been one of my favs in recent years. Excellent strike rate often at great odds. 7yo has never won this race though and 7/2 not a brilliant price as St Mark's Basilica is looking very good and will be suited by softening good ground and it is raining atm where I am not that far from the course.
Report N-east Correspondent July 3, 2021 1:25 PM BST
Only 4 Runners when the mighty Pebbles (Good old CliveB) won this in 1985 from Rainbow Quest
always a small but quality field for this race Cool
Report cacique July 3, 2021 8:09 PM BST
is there a need for so many 10f Group 1's (3) for 3yo+ when there are less G2's (1) and less  G3's (1)?

Eclipse
International
Champion
--
York Stakes
--
Winter Hill

I thought the triangle was meant to get smaller as you got to top?
Report 1st time poster July 3, 2021 8:23 PM BST
slower than the handicap,shocker from marquand
Report The Knight July 5, 2021 11:36 AM BST
Yes, go back through the years and the Eclipse is not a race that attracts a big field. Under 10 is the normal with less than 7 more often that many might realise - and that is going way back to the early 1970's.

Don't know why this should be, though/

Any theories?
Report N-east Correspondent July 5, 2021 11:51 AM BST
Not too sure The Knight, but Sandown always seem to attract small fields for their Group races, the Brigardier Gerard evening meeting is usually quite thin on runners and the Mile Gr2 in April regularly gets 5 runner fields.
Maybe 10f races are not that fashionable even though prize money is v.good and you would have thought for 3yos who didnt get trip in Derby this was an ideal race in early July, prior to Newmarket/Goodwood/York festivals.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com