Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
WHOKNOWSTHEBOWLER
30 Jun 21 19:17
| Topic/replies: 335 | Blogger: WHOKNOWSTHEBOWLER's blog
He now looks a bit of an idiot, if you start shouting about drug cheats you really have to back it up Mr Bolger.
Pause Switch to Standard View Jim Bolger will not attend Hearing -...
Show More
Report duncan idaho June 30, 2021 8:21 PM BST
legal minefield
Report strontium June 30, 2021 8:31 PM BST
$h1t or get off the pot.
Report differentdrum June 30, 2021 9:03 PM BST
Absolutely, and so do those in the media who have tried to make something out of a story that has been based purely on Bolger's standing within the sport. All he has produced is unsubstantiated allegations. Anyone can do that.
Report 11kv June 30, 2021 9:04 PM BST
Fears for his life would be my guess
Report G Hall June 30, 2021 11:41 PM BST
Look buddy, the Taxman has managed to prevent the media attending an inquest in a different jurisdiction. It now appears that the Taxman, will decide what the outcome of the inquest will be.

These people are untouchable. Jim Bolger is a brave man if he names names.
Report kevo July 1, 2021 12:42 AM BST
If JB has declined the Hearing they must now contact one of the well informed betfair forumites harry callaghan, he seems well informed as to who JB was alluding to.

So come on harry, put up or shut up.
Report kevo July 1, 2021 1:04 AM BST
11kv 30 Jun 21 20:04
Fears for his life would be my guess.

Fears for JB's credibility is more of a concern.
Report sparkygayle July 1, 2021 8:20 AM BST
Ask Jim what the Gaelic for gobsh1te plz....
Report blunder July 1, 2021 8:33 AM BST
It just sounds like sour grapes if you can't attend when you have blatantly accused people of cheating. His sole "evidence" so far is that a large stock of illegal drugs has not been accounted for . That is not enough  , I think he will keep his counsel from now on .
Report strontium July 1, 2021 9:46 AM BST
He could say what is being done, even if he is not prepared to say by whom. As it is, he looks foolish.
Report Carveth July 1, 2021 9:48 AM BST
It’s a shame that Jim Bolger will not be interviewed.

Kevin Blake sets out a useful framework for discussion at the hearing on the 6th July in a recent At The Races article.

Perhaps we should consider Mary Robinson’s suggestion (Director of the Equine Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania; recently her team announced a new test to detect the use of gene therapy) that there should be more focus on continuing education with racehorse trainers required to reapply for their licence. To get the licence they will need to pass a test. (I think it would be a good idea if stable staff, horse vets and breeders etc. could also get certification). This may help to minimise genuine mishaps and separate compliant trainers from serial offenders. If, subsequently to passing the test, you are found to have broken the rules (repeatedly or with such gravity) then the sanctions would have to be severe. Any breaking of the rules would need to be made public.

As tests become more sophisticated someone might be found to have broken the rules prior to obtaining certification. They should be asked to reapply for their licence. This will give them an opportunity to tell others what they did wrong (some peer learning). That’s about as close as I can get to “Truth and reconciliation” without a drawbridge going up.

Kevin Blake article: https://www.attheraces.com/blogs/kevin-blake/23-June-2021
National Geographic article that refers to Mary Robinson’s ideas: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/article/racehorse-doping-explained
Report posy July 1, 2021 11:01 AM BST
Think 11kv is right; you don't mess with the Irish mafia and expect to emerge unscathed.
Report penzance July 1, 2021 11:15 AM BST
people like harry callaghan are only expressing their
views at the end of the day,my view,ie Cheltenham,is
they have the better horses,I could be totally wrong.
I hope for the game I'm right.Who knows.
Report barstool July 1, 2021 11:25 AM BST
If he has been advised by his Lawyer not to attend then it would be foolish to ignore those instructions. For the sake of his pocket, if nothing else.
Report posy July 1, 2021 1:06 PM BST
Does this have anything to do with Egan's resignation ?
Report carrot1960 July 1, 2021 1:30 PM BST
Why would Bolger give the game / names away , there is a right place to name names and in front of an in house panel isn't it.
Report onlooker July 1, 2021 1:57 PM BST
All very coincidental - and possibly convenient ...

IHRB chief executive Denis Egan announces sudden early retirement

By Brian Sheerin
UPDATED 1:39PM, JUL 1 2021

]b]Denis Egan has made a surprise decision to step down from his role as chief executive of the Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board[/b].

Egan, 60, who has spent 26 years working for the regulator, almost 20 of which have been in his role as the chief executive, said he will take early retirement in September.

He joined the Turf Club in 1995 as a financial controller before taking over as chief executive in 2001.

When that organisation became the IHRB in 2018, Egan was responsible for overseeing that transition as the CEO of the new body.

Speaking about his decision to step down from his role, Egan said: "Irish racing has an enviable reputation worldwide, both for its fairness and integrity and has enjoyed huge success at home and around the world.

"I am proud that the Turf Club, and more recently the IHRB, has had a significant role to play in this regard. I believe we now have a strong platform in place to build and grow for the future and I believe the time is right to hand over to a successor to take the organisation to the next level."
Report differentdrum July 1, 2021 2:23 PM BST
Perhaps carrot you can tell us the right place and direct Bolger to it.
Report duffy July 1, 2021 2:30 PM BST
Bolger has made himself look silly.

That's about the long and short of it.
Report Gordon63 July 1, 2021 3:40 PM BST
duffy - totally disagree....

i'm no fan of bolger, the new approach derby episode ensured that!! however I can't see he would have aything to gain from bringing this topic to light and considering his longetivity in the industry, he's probably in a good position to make such comments BUT of course alluding to something and being asked to put names/events/dates on the table is a completely different game...far too often the whistleblower gets blown out the water...maybe Jim will get it off his chest on his deathbed
Report jumper3 July 1, 2021 3:58 PM BST

Jul 1, 2021 -- 5:01AM, posy wrote:

Think 11kv is right; you don't mess with the Irish mafia and expect to emerge unscathed.

That made me laugh. Who are 'the Irish mafia' we are all supposed to be scared of?

Report Hayden July 1, 2021 4:02 PM BST
I'd be a lot more scared of the London mafia
Report Howellsy July 1, 2021 6:52 PM BST
Bolger's complaint was that it's 'not a level playing field.' Coming from a trainer competing at the top level, that can only mean one thing, on the flat at least, which is where you might presume he's a more interested party. Over the jumps it could mean two things. But overall there are only 3 possible trainers he's alluding to, and everyone knows it, but who's going to actually put a name on a dotted line?
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk July 1, 2021 7:18 PM BST
Could find himself in court for years and he's an elderly gent.
Report mrspock July 2, 2021 3:42 PM BST
When you're billionaires you can afford the most expensive lawyers- that's what decides the outcomes of any court case.
Those asking him to name names should t least know that.
Report workrider July 2, 2021 4:03 PM BST
Well said mrspock.
Report onlooker July 2, 2021 4:03 PM BST
Agreed - All these - "Put up or shut up" - comments are pathetic ...

- and show much more about the Posters than Jim Bolger.
Report 11kv July 2, 2021 6:16 PM BST
Said all he needed to. Anyone who thought he would name people must have a screw loose.
Report elisjohn July 2, 2021 6:20 PM BST
99% of us know who jim was alluding to , the other 1% are liars Grin
Report onlooker July 2, 2021 6:50 PM BST
^  or - Deniers
Report elisjohn July 2, 2021 6:59 PM BST
yes thats a better word  onlooker
Report 11kv July 2, 2021 8:10 PM BST
8.00 winner Bellewstown.   LaughLaugh
Report impossible123 July 2, 2021 8:19 PM BST
I'd not either if I was in his shoe. The game is bent; let the authority do their job eg unannounced, incessant and stringent testing. If caught ban them for life!
Report olddesperado July 2, 2021 10:46 PM BST
Ban them for life  Laugh.

That's not the way we do it over here impossible.

4 month suspension of licence with the wife , son , daughter, yard Jack Russell allowed take over the licence temporarily with said trainer allowed be assistant trainer during his suspension.

If that's not convenient sure to hell with it we'll just suspend the 4 months on condition you promise not to do it again in the 4 month period.

Anyone for lunch ?.
Report G Hall July 3, 2021 12:06 AM BST
^ sad but true
Report firstimevisor July 3, 2021 1:34 AM BST
There is nothing shocking or stunning in what Bolger said -drugs, whether legal or illegal, have been used on horses for as long as they have been used on humans. Racing is no different to any other walk of life in that you will always have a small minority who make their own rules while the majority are law-abiding.
Bolger's interviews though, while he really hasn't said much at all, seems to have caused a strange reaction by many on here into believing Irish racing is completely corrupt while UK racing is a model of integrity. Any trainer anywhere in the world, including Newmarket, Lambourne or Malton, could say what Bolger said about their own patch.
Report elisjohn July 3, 2021 7:56 AM BST
firsttime, yes what you say is true, but why most on here believe that irish racing is so corrupt, is that theyve been winning 90% of the group1s  and smashing the uk in all the big hcaps  etc etc
Report firstimevisor July 3, 2021 11:51 AM BST
Ellis, Irish racing is not corrupt and certainly no more corrupt than UK racing. There's a very simple answer as to why they have been dominating Group 1s in recent years and its called Galileo.

Ballydoyle race about 90% of his progeny themselves. Of the other 10%, that would include the likes of New Approach, Teofilio, Nathaniel, Waldgeist and indeed Frankel. Ballydoyle's overall results with all other Coolmore stallions in recent years have been dismal to say the least, so take Galileo out of the equation and there is no dominance.
Report differentdrum July 3, 2021 11:54 AM BST
Those defending Bolger presumably would be quite happy to be accused of something by someone providing zero evidence?
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk July 3, 2021 12:03 PM BST
He hasn't accused anyone that is the whole point.
Do you report a crime to the police and be expected to provide the evidence? Give the names off the record and tptb should investigate
Am amazed at the vilification by some of Bolger.
Why do you think he has done this. What is his agenda?
People on here saying that IRE racing isn't corrupt as if they know and then have a go at Bolger who is in an actual position to know.
Don't you people want cheats out the game or are you frightened that if the big boys leave, the IRE game will be spent
Lance Armstrong and his ilk would still be flourishing if it were down to spineless head in the ground merchants, the type of people we see posting on here.
Thank god for whistleblowers, proper guts
Report firstimevisor July 3, 2021 12:14 PM BST
Here we go again - Bolger spoke about Irish racing because he is a licenced trainer in Ireland, and he hasn't set foot outside the country for 2 years. The problem, if there is a problem at all, is universal and not confined to Ireland.
Irish and UK racing have exactly the same anti-drug rules and regulations and all dope testing for both countries is carried out in the very same lab - and its in the UK!
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk July 3, 2021 12:22 PM BST
Here we go again?
Bolger comments on the IRE racing industry because that's his area of expertise.
What do you expect?
This "what about the rest of the world" deflection is pathetic.
Why are you casting aspersions on other jurisdictions?
What evidence do YOU have of this?
If some wrong doing occurs elsewhere other than the area being dealt with then that means we don't do anything about it,
because "they are all at it."
Idiocy
Report firstimevisor July 3, 2021 12:44 PM BST
Jumping cuckoo monk, I have no evidence - which is about as much evidence as I suspect Bolger has.
If all dope testing for Irish/Uk racing are carried out in the same lab in England,and there is no evidence there of any excess positive tests for Irish trained horses, then I would like you to explain how it can be that only the Irish are up to no good ? Or is your own evidence based purely on a newspaper interview given by a man who was himself the Lance Armstrong of the sport for a few years
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk July 3, 2021 12:58 PM BST
I can see you are taking this a personal sleight on the Irish and are not really concerned with getting to the truth of the matter. This jingoistic nonsense is never ending in its tiresomeness

Because you have no idea about any evidence available you assert that Bolger doesn't

You also seem to denegrate the whistle blower in the Armstrong case because he was a doper too. Aren't you happy he blew the whistle?
I don't think you are.

Your reasoning is twisted, and so best to leave it there, imo
Happy punting
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk July 3, 2021 1:01 PM BST
I think I misread you with reference to Lance Armstrong.
Who is "a man who was himself the Lance Armstrong of the sport for a few years"?
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk July 3, 2021 1:04 PM BST
Missed the 1st race now Cry
Report firstimevisor July 3, 2021 1:53 PM BST
Bolger himself was the lance Armstrong of the sport for 3 years - 3 consecutive Dewhurst winners, Derby, Irish Derby, 2000 Guineas, 1000 Guineas all in quick succession.
Ironically now, after ten years in the wilderness and hot on the heels of his first "everyone is at it exept me" interview, he now finds himself training the best 3 y o colt in Europe as well as training another colt good enough to beat him in a classic.

As I have already said, doping of horses has been going on for donkeys years on a small scale. We didn't need Bolger to tell us this - there have been enough well documented cases over the years. There is nothing jingoistic about my point which is that the authorities will never cut out cheating 100% - and this applies to every racing juristiction. You, on the other hand , seem to want to focus exclusively on Irish racing as though its just an Irish problem.
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk July 3, 2021 2:09 PM BST
In the context of this discussion the reference to lance armstrong is clearly to do with his cheating and not being a winner.
You know that
To compare Bolger with Armstrong is a dodgy route to go, imo
I'm sorry i can't debate with people who use "its been going on for years" and happens "in other jurisdictions"
You could use that defence in murder cases.
It is not a race issue.
Bolger knows Irish racing and wouldn't be so conceited as to comment on other jurisdictions like others on here.
Investigate all jurisdictions. Starting with Ireland
Surely that is reasonable.
Anyway, racings on
Report firstimevisor July 3, 2021 2:23 PM BST
Bolger knows Irish racing and wouldn't be so conceited as to comment on other jurisdictions like others on here.

Investigate all jurisdictions. Starting with Ireland
Report onlooker July 3, 2021 2:31 PM BST
I very, very, much doubt that Bolger has - "zero evidence."

Are you really saying that - After all his years of top experience in Horse Racing -  Bolger is talking 'off the top of his 'effing head'.

Come on.
Report firstimevisor July 3, 2021 2:44 PM BST
I wouldn't think he has any evidence. If he had then why not go before a public enquiry and produce it rather than talk to newspapers but actually say nothing much?
I don't really buy the fear of litigation line either - the government could/would offer him legal defence in the event of a lawsuit so he really should not have anything to fear if he has proof of his allegations.
Report carrot1960 July 5, 2021 2:01 PM BST
On legal advice Jim Bolger will not take part in this week’s Oireachtas Hearing into the trainer’s own allegations that there is a ‘Lance Armstrong’ waiting to be found among the upper echelons of Ireland’s training ranks.

It initially seemed like a poor move on Jim Bolger’s part as the hearing offered him the opportunity to further expose ‘twenty years of steroid abuse within the sport.’ This platform could have been the ideal vehicle for him once he didn’t fall into the trap of naming any names.

But, in light of yesterday’s latest Paul Kimmage article, it’s now becoming clearer that Bolger’s absence is likely a prudent move.

Kimmage’s Sunday Independent piece gives us the first glimpse of the ‘smoking gun’ — extracts from a 14-page report from a ‘distinguished toxicologist’ in a laboratory in Suffolk that indicates suspicious findings in hair samples taken from a group of horses that had recently transferred from Ireland to an English trainer.

Kimmage’s information comes via a conversation Bolger had with the English trainer who commissioned the testing of the ex-Irish horses in his care.

According to extracts from the toxicologist’s report published yesterday there is no hard evidence of wrongdoing but a ‘balance of probability’ that ‘unidentified possible keto steroids’ were present in some of the samples from the six horses tested.

These results alone appear to fall some way short of the threshold for a racing authority to take action against any individual but it would seem that we are getting tantalisingly close to the discovery of the name or names that Bolger has been trying to avoid revealing.

We are told that the six horses in question travelled from Ireland to an English trainer in the summer of 2020. Bolger has stated that the steroid issue he perceives within the sport relates to at least one top-level Irish trainer so we can presume that these six horses were in training here prior to their move and it is therefore likely that at least some of them had won races in Ireland prior to the move.

The IHRB issued a report on Friday into their anti-doping efforts so far this year and this will presumably form the basis of their contribution to the Oireachtas Hearing.

In the first six month of 2021 they carried out 2,391 hair, blood and urine samples on horses at racecourses, point-to-points and in out of competition settings such as trainers’ yards, stud farms, sales consignors’ premises, pre-training premises and other equine premises.

Included in the samples tested is every winner of a race in Ireland this year.

In total they found 10 adverse analytic findings, none of which we are told were substances that are prohibited at all times, such as performance enhancing steroids. Coincidently the IHRB samples are also tested in a laboratory in Suffolk.

Bolger’s assertion that steroids are being used by one or more top trainers to improve the performance of their horses is at loggerheads with the IHRB data.

We therefore end up with a paradox — either there is no wide scale steroid abuse within the sport as the IHRB findings indicate or the systems for detection are not fit for purpose and cannot actually detect the steroids in the samples which forms part of Bolger’s hypothesis.

A single positive result for anabolic steroids within the IHRB findings would have gone some way towards dispelling Bolger’s theory but the IHRB found none.

It is also worth pointing out that of the 1,398 races run in Ireland in the first six months of 2021 only 71 hair samples were taken from winners. The hair test seems the most likely one to discover steroid traces in samples so why is it not the default test?

In life, as in sport, timing is everything which begs the question why has IHRB chief Denis Egan decided to announce his early retirement at this moment in time?

Egan has been the face of the Turf Club, and more recently the IHRB, for over 20 years.

He announced last week that he is to quit this key role within the industry at the end of September, coincidently the same day Brian Kavanagh exits HRI, meaning that the two top jobs of regulating horse racing in Ireland will have new personnel at the helm at the very same time.

With the Bolger allegations still unresolved it may not be the most opportune time for such fundamental change. That said, a couple of new brooms might just be what’s needed, though there is always the suspicion that any new brooms within horse racing will be of the Trigger variety — same broom just a different handle or a different head.

Lastly, in St Mark’s Basilica Aidan O’Brien may have finally found the horse to match the superlatives. “He’s always looked a special horse” is a phrase that the master of Ballydoyle has used to describe countless colts down the years but it’s beginning to look like this could be the one that fits the hype. Four Group 1s on the bounce and getting better with every race he really could be the best Aidan has ever trained.

We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Standards. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or by filling out this form. New comments are only accepted for 10 days from the date of publication
Report Pilsudski July 5, 2021 2:07 PM BST
Could it be that that “English trainer” was PFN ?
Report know all July 5, 2021 2:15 PM BST
vincent finegan excellent article well done author and irishracing.com
Report impossible123 July 5, 2021 2:32 PM BST
At least one top Irish trainer? That's is telling. I wonder which top Irish trainer has transferred 6 (very precise) horses to his counterpart in the UK? If so, an inevitable ban for the Irish trainer concerned surely.

If Pilsudski is correct and no show from the 6 horses transferred from a top Irish trainer to a UK one then it cannot be a mere coincidence.
Report Ramruma July 6, 2021 1:34 PM BST
From @carrot1960's long post: "We therefore end up with a paradox — either there is no wide scale steroid abuse within the sport as the IHRB findings indicate or the systems for detection are not fit for purpose and cannot actually detect the steroids in the samples which forms part of Bolger’s hypothesis."

Isn't this what happened with the Gain feed saga? Irish tests showed everything fine; French tests detected steroids, so the O'Brien clan withdrew all their runners from the Arc meeting.
Report workrider July 6, 2021 3:16 PM BST
Ramruma , surely that makes the Newmarket Lab useless then. Both Irish and British samples are tested THERE....
Report Ramruma July 6, 2021 6:28 PM BST
@workrider -- aiui it is only recently that Ireland switched to Newmarket, but yes, the French do seem to be leading the way.
Report impossible123 July 6, 2021 8:15 PM BST
What was in the Gain feed? Horsey Red Bull with a higher octane?
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com