Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Ramruma
21 Jun 21 09:38
| Topic/replies: 14,334 | Blogger: Ramruma's blog
Racing Post:-

Plans to extend the Cheltenham Festival to five days are back on the table and could be implemented in 2023.

The new format would result in jump racing's showpiece meeting running from Tuesday to Saturday, with the Cheltenham Gold Cup remaining on Friday.

The festival features 28 races over four days and only two more races would need to be added for a five-day meeting with six races per day.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/cheltenham-considering-extension-of-festival-to-five-days-from-2023/496882
Pause Switch to Standard View 5-day Cheltenham from 2023 mooted
Show More
Report onlooker June 21, 2021 12:22 PM BST
Somewhat true.

EVERYBODY used  to watch the   FA Cup Final "50 years" ago ...

99 out of 100 probably could not tell you which two  teams contested the this year's Final ...

- and - certainly not last years ... I couldn't the latter - Had to think about this year,  too.
Report GAZO June 21, 2021 12:23 PM BST
they will kill the goose that laid the golden egg,£60 for the best mate enclosure on gold cup day next year,it wont be long before these groups work out they could save that money and watch it in the pub down the road for nothing and still have a great day out
Report strontium June 21, 2021 1:34 PM BST
Please don't do this Cheltenham!
Report jimnast June 21, 2021 2:00 PM BST
diferentdrum

have you been to either royal ascot or the festival ?
Report EastLower Gooner June 21, 2021 2:22 PM BST
They need to try harder…

5 races a day and we can have a week of Cheltenham. Mo money £££

6 days lol
Report casemoney June 21, 2021 2:51 PM BST
Another  Day of Drugged up Oirish horses storming round the course
Report CROPSICK June 21, 2021 2:52 PM BST
Dublin racing festival is fast becoming more competative
Report wondersobright June 21, 2021 3:31 PM BST
they can stick their 5 days up their arse
Report wondersobright June 21, 2021 3:33 PM BST
its already hideously diluted, graded novice races in particular
Report differentdrum June 21, 2021 3:40 PM BST
Jimnast, I will answer the question although it would have been nice to know the point of asking it relative to this thread.

I have been to Ascot, but not to Royal Ascot. I have been many times to the Cheltenham Festival going back to 1981, the day Lesley Ann won the Sun Alliance Chase. Back then you could move around easily enough, and it was the congestion that eventually think twice about going. Royal Ascot has always been an 'event', and unfortunately Cheltenham has gone down the same route.

What I would add to my original comment is if they are adding an extra day they should create a new card, certainly not take away races from the other days. Prices wouldn't go down and you would be getting 14% less action. That doesn't strike me as a good deal for the spectator.
Report differentdrum June 21, 2021 3:41 PM BST
^ made me think twice
Report barstool June 21, 2021 3:56 PM BST
Wont be much difference between the Cheltenham Festival and The Galway Festival at this rate.
Report jimnast June 21, 2021 4:19 PM BST
thanks for the reply differentdrum

i beat you by 1 year for my first festival,the reason i asked the question is because you suggested royal ascot can not compete with the festival as many more people over the years have also said.{its build up through the season is of course correct}however whilst i prefer going jump racing i would not agree the festival is by far the biggest meeting of the year,they are very different occasions but both great occasions and to say one is by far the biggest and the other can not compete is wrong.

you rightly say royal ascot is an event its also stages world class horse racing ,and if i may suggest you give it a try one day i would be very surprised if you did not love the occasion.

on the 5 day festival i agree just create a saturday card nobody has to go and regarding the irish many now just do two days anyway.
Report ribero1 June 21, 2021 5:04 PM BST
The great thing about Cheltenham is that it takes over the whole area for the week and everywhere you go is buzzing,wonderful feeling imo,you're right about the Irish Jimnast,they don't come in anything like the numbers they used to imo. No problem with a Saturday but think you're getting short changed with 6 race cards at the prices they charge.
Report jimnast June 21, 2021 5:06 PM BST
yes 6 not enough ribero for anybody.
Report GAZO June 21, 2021 5:47 PM BST
i dont think the paying public will even be taken into account
Report impossible123 June 21, 2021 6:32 PM BST
Cheltenham Festival = Champion Hurdle, Champion Chase and Gold Cup. The others can easily be absorbed into any saturday programme.

Less is more seems not to be understood by Cheltenham or Hendo.
Report penzance June 21, 2021 6:39 PM BST
4 days is ample,just my opinion.
Report casemoney June 21, 2021 10:41 PM BST
They can poke the fookin lot of it as far as I'm concerned ,Loved the meeting ,NO MORE .
Report IDKW June 21, 2021 10:47 PM BST
3 Days was ample........
Report paulo47 June 22, 2021 8:31 AM BST
Did 10+ years as annual member until it went 4 days , dont really care re an extra one and would willingly exchange  for a ban on multiple entries .
Report strontium June 22, 2021 9:05 AM BST
Agree that the DRF is more competitive - with some minor tweaks (such as addition of a 3 m G1 hurdle) it could become the premier meeting of the season very soon. The dilution in quality at Cheltenham is a major problem.
Report kevo June 22, 2021 10:00 AM BST
So the humiliation of the UK trainers will carry on for a 5th day, gluttons for punishment.
Report 1st time poster June 22, 2021 12:18 PM BST
if it moved to 5 days and gold cup moved to sat ,when would they start racing on the new course thurs or fri
currently 14 races run on new course the fabric of those races would change if they ran on old course so you,d have to have 3 days on new course so gold cup would be around 16th race on that course imagine if it was wet/heavy ground
Report SeeMoreBusiness June 22, 2021 12:22 PM BST
nearly every person who supports a 5th day in the media will have access to owners and trainers lounge or media centre with a deal of comfort, seats , free food, probably a driver to take them home, hotels and meals on expenses or tax deductible. If they had to spend 4 days standing up in the cold/wet, queuing for drinks and toilet, £175 a night for a cupboard to sleep in, £lots to get in each day and walking to and from the track.........they would take a different view.
Report GAZO June 22, 2021 12:28 PM BST
there is more chance on if the track could stand another days racing than ripping the punters off stopping it happening
Report Llamedos June 22, 2021 12:55 PM BST
They can have a 5 day festival, it might mean people who work during the week might get the opportunity to experience the festival on the Saturday it would though, probably change even more the type of clientele they get, it would be a mistake to move the Gold Cup to a Saturday it would just become a side show to all the other sporting events taking place that day. The 6 Nations will be on and it's often the England v Ireland game, I for one will be going or watching it down the pub rather than take an interest in racing.
Report CROPSICK June 22, 2021 12:58 PM BST
The Irish have the best horses (at the moment but cant see it changing any time soon)so why hell would you want to go to Chelt for 5 days when you can go to the DRF for 2 days to see them compete against each other in top class racing.
Report wondersobright June 22, 2021 1:02 PM BST

Jun 21, 2021 -- 10:41PM, casemoney wrote:

They can poke the fookin lot of it as far as I'm concerned ,Loved the meeting ,NO MORE .

agree completely case
diluted, over-hyped, irish dominated
ground has been shagged for 4 years too doesn't help

Report Movewiththetimes June 22, 2021 1:14 PM BST
They will have to look further than the racing crowd to fill the 5 days expect more urinating from the balconies Crazy 4 days is just about right though 3 days was more competitive.
Report Storm Alert June 22, 2021 1:26 PM BST
differentdrum ...I have been many times to the Cheltenham Festival going back to 1981, the day Lesley Ann won the Sun Alliance Chase...

wow Lesley Ann, that name is a blast from the past. 1981 was the first time I got into Cheltenham. I had started betting on NH in the 80/81 season and it seemed every Saturday I was backing either Little Owl, Wayward Lad or Eastereel and they kept winning. For some reason I backed Lesley Ann in that Sun Alliance at 33/1 and she beat a stellar field. Was a great Cheltenham to cut my teeth, I remember also winning on Little Owl, Clayside, Derring Rose and Political Pop and watching the great Sea Pigeon and Willy Wumkins. 40 years ago omg but I still remember the names, it hooked me and since never missed a festival. Even Prince Charles fell off something in an amateur race.
Report Storm Alert June 22, 2021 1:27 PM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5bBkdTX3Rc
Report strontium June 22, 2021 1:34 PM BST
1st time poster - They use a fresh strip of ground for the Gold Cup that isn't raced on after May until Gold Cup day itself, and the GC is the first chase of the day. Also, the plan (as announced so far) is to keep the Gold Cup on Friday.

SeeMoreBusiness - spot on. I am a Cheltenham member so I go to all 4 days of the Festival. I did some back of the envelope calculations of the extra cost to me of going for a 5th day. The outcome is, I will likley cancel my membership altogether. I'm not paying hundreds of pounds extra for two more races and a further dilution of the quality.
Report SeeMoreBusiness June 22, 2021 1:45 PM BST
strontium, I'm a member too and I would bet good £ that they will INCREASE the membership on the basis you are getting an extra day! Tbh if this happens it will simply make things easier to decide. I would probably keep the membership but jump ship on the Friday night/Saturday morning.                              Differentdrum...that was my first day as well. Gaye brief/chance won the first (thank God). Anaglogs Daughter got beat in the Champion by Drumgora. Never heard the place so silent in the last 40+ years. Queued for about 90 seconds to get a pint after each race. Different times
Report strontium June 22, 2021 1:46 PM BST
SeeMore - I'm certain they will. Add in the hotel, food, drink, etc., etc.....
Report 1st time poster June 22, 2021 2:11 PM BST
ridiculous to even think of having set piece gold cup followed by another days racing,like have grand national/derby on the friday
Report strontium June 22, 2021 2:12 PM BST
Maybe so. I'm sure ITV would prefer the Gold Cup to be run on the Saturday.
Report GoBallistic June 22, 2021 3:08 PM BST
The first year I went to the festival (1995) there was a non-festival card run on the friday, the day after the Gold cup. I think the following year, it then sort of became what is now the first April meeting (I guess because nobody turned up ?)

Of course when it became a 4 day festival the Gold Cup was always going to be friday, so that the people who travel there and stay the whole week would feel compelled to get tickets for all 4 days instead of doing just the tuesday to thursday as usual

Once it goes to 5 days I wouldn't be surprised if the Gold Cup stays on the friday (with the same higher pricing than the other days) because that day still sells out easily. Then the saturday will be same premium pricing as friday - maybe with the Champion Chase moved to saturday

Dilutastic
Report GAZO June 22, 2021 3:15 PM BST
wasnt that friday some sort of charity day ?
Report GoBallistic June 22, 2021 3:21 PM BST
You may be right GAZO, I can't recall the circumstances. I think the feature race was the novice HCP chase
Report jimnast June 22, 2021 3:25 PM BST
no the friday was a trial run for a 4 day festival it fell on st patricks day so they thought it was a good time to give it a try,the three things i remember from that day are cab on target getting beat,thinking the saying after the lord mayors show,and reading the billboards on the way out that ronnie kray had died.

where have those 26 years goneCry
Report jimnast June 22, 2021 3:29 PM BST
1st time poster

many who remember the old epsom format would love to go back to a wednesday derby saturday oaks.

as also stated earlier on the thread run the meeting as it is,so fresh ground for a friday gold cup and create a new card for saturday attracting those who could not go midweek,those who wanted to stay for a 5th day then thats there choice.

the two reserve races ran at kempton could be part of the card.
Report jimnast June 22, 2021 3:38 PM BST
impossible 1732 post

what a stupid post the stayers hurdle is every bit as important to most national hunt fans,as is the arkle,supreme novice,both sun alliance races,recently added races like the ryanair the bumper and the albert bartlett are also very important races enjoyed by many,and i should think the hunter chase mob really look forward to the foxhunters.

only compulsive gamblers and those not really interested in national hunt racing would think these races could be absorbed into any saturday programme.
Report parispike June 22, 2021 3:53 PM BST
I live nearer the course than 99.99% of those on here or who attend. About a mile. Travel issues not a consideration therefore.

Gave up festival membership a few years ago. Gillespie turned it into a "go to" event over his tenure which has the effect of attracting a significant proportion who have no interest in the racing at all. Of itself that doesn't matter BUT a high % of those who attend for non racing reasons go there to get totally p!ssed and the course seem quite willing to help them achieve that.

The difference between full and non festival membership is £200 minimum (there is a senior discount for non festival so the difference is even more).

So it's £200 for 4 days racing in a most unpleasant environment. £200 is most of my annual ARC Chepstow membership for which I get access to nearly all ARC meetings.

Doubtless prices will go up for the 5th day.

No thanks.
Report SeeMoreBusiness June 22, 2021 9:12 PM BST
I'd forgotten about that paris. You are spot on. For me it is £175 a night in  hotel ; £50 course expenses ; £100 for decent vino and food. £325 a day + Annual Members £50+. Ascot do a "first 3 days badge" which is very popular and one suspects that Cheltenham would have to do the same. There is no way in God's good earth I'd be paying those sums for an extra day. It would make my decision easier tbh. Been losing enthusiasm for years now. Rather throw the £ at The Ebor meeting, for example. Or Deauville.  Good luck chap
Report SeeMoreBusiness June 22, 2021 9:18 PM BST
I should have said hello to Go Ballistic of course. I agree with you. But glad I beat you that day :-)
Report GoBallistic June 23, 2021 12:04 AM BST
That was a very good Gold Cup in 1999 (See More Business never really got the credit he deserved imo) and probably my favourite festival overall
Report paulo47 June 23, 2021 9:13 AM BST
Agree totally with Seemore and others ,exes had hit a grand and then they went four days , also backed Ballistic that day ......The other big plus about not attending is how much more focussed you are with selections .
Report GAZO June 23, 2021 9:45 AM BST
that was my best ever day winnings wise at the festival and if i remember wasnt it more like glorious goodwood weather all 3 days
Report tony6499 June 23, 2021 10:24 AM BST
It will go the same way as Ascot with each day padded out with bookie benefit handicaps. 3 days was fine to me
Report TheAnorak June 23, 2021 11:07 AM BST
"wasnt that friday some sort of charity day ? "

Yes, it was Comic Relief aka Red Nose day. They raised money for the charity by auctioning roles like starter, course commentator for one race.

But the real reason for staging that fourth day in 1995, was that they were starting work the following week on a major extension of the main grandstand, so that the April meeting was cancelled. The extra day was offered as compensation for annual members. The hunter chase evening was switched to Warwick.

Cheltenham claimed an attendance of over 17,000, but if that was accurate, at least half of them spent the afternoon playing hide and seek without being found.
Report ribero1 June 23, 2021 1:07 PM BST
Hi anorak,I went home that morning and wasn't it blowing a gale and freezing? as I remember being quite relaxed about missing it for that reason.
Report TheAnorak June 23, 2021 7:58 PM BST
Hi Ribero,

Delayed reply as I've been to Salisbury today. As I recall it, the weather was rough most of the week. Certainly part of the New Course was waterlogged on Thursday, as the Gold Cup was run over a modified track where they came wide off the home turn, bypassed the final two fences on the New Course and jumped the final fence on the Old Course instead.

You can see the large areas covered in sawdust by the usual second last in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-8OvcBbs28&t=565s

Make for a good quiz question - Did Master Oats win the Gold Cup on the New Course or the Old Course. And the answer is both!
Report ashleigh April 16, 2022 8:18 AM BST
NOT 2023, but looking like 2024, headline in the post today, a consultation process under way, Cheltenham seeking an insight from leading owners and trainers to gain a "rational view" as to whether to extend the festival.

a final decision should be made by the autumn of 2022.
Report CROPSICK April 16, 2022 9:28 AM BST
Leading owners, Leading trainers....yes please.
Report TheAnorak April 16, 2022 10:01 AM BST
Subtle use of the phrase 'extend the festival', which is exactly the opposite of what they're doing. I suppose 'spreading the festival' by taking the existing races and doling them out over five days instead of four, wouldn't pass the 'marketing' test.
Report second again April 16, 2022 10:21 AM BST
The last time I went was Bregawns Gold Cup as I have never liked big crowds.So the only difference the 4 or 5 days has made to me is I will not bet ante post without NRNB.I feel sorry for those who used to go for the 3 days as making it 4 or 5 days has changed it completely.They are probably looking at Galway and planning 7 or 8 days.Crazy
Report mrcombustible April 16, 2022 10:40 AM BST
Second again. The last time I was at the festival was also 1983 when Bregawn led home a Dickinson first five places.I have lost a lot of interest in the festival since it went to 4 days and 5 days will just dilute the quality a lot more
Report strontium April 16, 2022 10:50 AM BST
I see they might ask their annual members what they think. How gracious of them.
Report differentdrum April 16, 2022 11:34 AM BST
My only issue would be that this is about six races a day instead of seven races a day for the same money, or likely even more. Paying more for less.

If they can't find seven new races then don't do it. My priority would be to move the Cross Country and Foxhunters, and find two decent races to replace them. The novices handicap that they got rid of was already much better quality than both of them.
Report strontium April 16, 2022 11:46 AM BST
No chance they can add 7 races without shattering the quality - I'd say it's a near certainty that it would be five 6-race cards, and that the costs per day will be as much as they are now (or more). Seven more races would make it like Punchestown, with its hunter chase for farmers from Kildare.

At Cheltenham, I'd already get rid of the Cross country, Mares' novice hurdle, Turners Chase, Kim Muir, Plate & Martin Pipe.

I'd also make the Pertemps a normal 3 m handicap hurdle (i.e., scrap the ludicrous qualifying system), and make the NH Chase open to professional riders.

Although the Foxhunters is poor, I would leave it as the one amateur race of the festival, and it is a good idea to run a weak race (that people won't mind missing) after the Gold Cup.
Report acey deucy April 16, 2022 12:35 PM BST
Best news ever bring it on.
Report penzance April 16, 2022 12:47 PM BST
change for the sake of change &
pure greed.
Report 3 valleys April 16, 2022 1:00 PM BST
If we shunt the Gold Cup to Saturday we will find it hostage to other sports events Didn't the 2006 derby run at a time to suit half time between England vs Jamaica friendly match - which says everything about the Derby's status in TV's eyes
Report strontium April 16, 2022 1:27 PM BST
Well, that and the fact that the Derby is now sponsored by a used car dealer.
Report slickster April 16, 2022 1:51 PM BST
1-8 5 days in 2024. 8s not. Greed will get the better of them.
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! April 16, 2022 1:57 PM BST
Only 6 races means
45 intervals
More drinking time
If you can find a space
Laugh
Report comingupthehill April 17, 2022 1:57 AM BST
It’s going 5 days.all waffle about consultation.

They need to keep 7 race cards though.

A veterans race
A mares bumper
A grand national trial
A 2m4f hurdle

Plus 2 races from other days. So 6 races 3 days 7 2 days.

Gold cup has to be run on the Saturday otherwise last day will be downgraded.

Ryanair will have to become main race of a day.

Most people have to book hotel for the full week anyway.

They have to get rid of the mares 7lb allowance. Can’t extend the mares program but allow this. One or the other.

It won’t be diluted cos none of the above clash.

Just keep the pertempts.at least they have to qualify.
Report WHOKNOWSTHEBOWLER April 17, 2022 7:22 AM BST
It can only result in more small fields and the removal of Cheltenham as "The Pinnacle" of the sport. It is all about greed and Jockey Club saying we need to fund rest of the sport.? Well stop having 4 meetings a day on a Monday , Tuesday!!. The sport has been dumbed down for the bookmakers and this is further evidence of that. All they wish to do is attract a non-racing 18-30 football chanting crowd . After 20 years I shall 100% have been to my last festival if it goes to 5 days. It has already become a complete rip off and overcrowded last 5 years.£32 for a 20cl (one glass) of champagne
Report ashleigh April 17, 2022 9:09 AM BST
Cheltenham chief exec Ian Renton on Luck on Sunday this morning.
Report TheAnorak April 17, 2022 10:06 AM BST
A veterans race
A mares bumper
A grand national trial
A 2m4f hurdle

Yes, I heard about the tens of thousands of racing fans marching through the streets of Cheltenham, with banners demanding the inclusion of a Mares Bumper. Like, it's about equality and diversity, you know!
Report 1st time poster April 17, 2022 10:14 AM BST
there is a veterans race its called the  x country unbelievably by introducing a vet race they,ll even mnanage to dilute the x country Laugh
theres already a 50 yr established grand nat trial its called THE RITZ,a race already diluted from it hey day of 20 plus runners,
2 m 4f hurdle so honeysuckle for ex would have choice of david nic,s,ch hurdle or new 2m 4f race jesus we,ll get a walk over shortly
Report 1st time poster April 17, 2022 11:16 AM BST
gold cup cant be going to a sat because ian renton just said on tv that their after a new audience for the sat,so if gold cup is on sat he obviously thinks those currently going tue to fri wont be going sat ,so he,ll be deprieving regulars of seeing gold cup
ps obviously he,s lying
Report Cider April 17, 2022 11:21 AM BST
Consultation is just nonsense cover to give suits cover for making unpopular choices. As they can always then point to some people who supported it. This stuff permeates through the public sector already.
Report differentdrum April 17, 2022 11:31 AM BST
Veterans races at the top table? You already have two rubbish races in the Cross Country and Foxhunters which are full of them. The idea that 10 year old can't win a normal race so you have create a special race is total nonsense.

If you can't create Championship races, just don't bother.

The only two Cheltenham doesn't have are a Mare's Bumper, and a two and a half mile Hurdle, but both would immediately take away from Aintree, and to a certain extent from the other races at the meeting.

The idea of moving it to Saturday is another load of nonsense. It has operated successfully midweek and there is no need to change. This idea that people can't go midweek, where does that come from? People use holidays to go, that is part of the appeal.
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! April 17, 2022 1:59 PM BST
Its a Monday to Friday approach
Before it becomes like GALWAY
tHAT ABOUT A WEEK
iNNIT?
LaughGrinDevil
Report Kardman April 17, 2022 2:15 PM BST
To give Renton his due he seemed quite adamant on LoS that the course couldn't cope with running 35 races, so there won't be a need to find 7 extra races.
Therefore I don't think dilution in no of runners will be a problem & it shouldn't be that difficult to find 2 extra races.

That said, if it goes to 5 days I wont be going on the 5th day & I couldn't find any racegoers this year who wanted an extra day. I'm an Annual Member so no doubt my costs will go up. But what about the daily admission charges ? There's 1 less race so shouldn't prices come down by 14%/day ??

As for the singing at the end of Friday this year I can see that becoming a fixture at the end of every day in future as the course is populated by more & more Peaky Blinders pi$$heads.
Report slickster April 17, 2022 2:20 PM BST
You bring back the novice handicap chase and add a Ryanair hurdle. 5 days 6 races. It really is very simple. And we all know it will happen.
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! April 17, 2022 2:23 PM BST
Probably the extra day feature race will be the RYANAIR chase
Shocked
Report strontium April 17, 2022 7:50 PM BST
A 2 1/2 mile hurdle is a bad idea unless they want a 5-runner Champion Hurdle every year.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is that they would have to run 2 days on one course and three days on the other. So some existing races will have to switch to the other course and thus change significantly. Maybe not a problem for a handicap (e.g. the Grand Annual could move back to the New course), but important for a G1.

And Cheltenham won't care about this, but what about poor old Uttoxeter? Is there another suitable date for the Midlands National?
Report windsor knot April 17, 2022 9:07 PM BST
we all knew this was coming . consultation my a**e .....ive been to every festival and every  opening day since 1983. this year was  my last . i enjoyed it in the , thankfully, lovely sunshine but feel it is now almost a parody of itself . the ' forced' roar before the ( guess what )  false start , the sickly  music to greet the winners , the rubbish outdoor champagne bar, the bentley showroom  and the tented shops selling just  tweed and feathers ... ironically , by the look of the new 18 to 30 crowd it wont be long before its the ' jd sports ' gold cup . good luck and thanks for the memories .
Report comingupthehill April 18, 2022 2:48 AM BST
Get rid of the mares allowance. They ve introduced a massive mares program. So can’t have it both ways.mares can either run in a mares race or compete on equal terms in the grade 1 races.

Not having a 2m4f grade 1 hurdle cos aintree won’t be happy isn’t cheltenhams problem.

To go 5 days they ve got to find justifiable championship races. So different distances and mares only solution.

Gold cup should be 5.15 on Saturday like the national. It should round off the 5 days.Martin pipe should be last race at 5.50

So they need 4 races to have 5 days. With 3 days at 6 races. Friday Saturday 7 races.

Got to be a mares bumper. No logic why not.
2m4f hurdle. Sod aintree
Veterans race. Horses who previously have placed at the festival to qualify. So well known horses with the crowd can run. This race would be popular.
Make the Kim muir a 3m race. Crazy that the 2 hardest races for jockeys. The Kim. Muir and the hunt chase have ametaurs riding. So least fit.  least skilled jockeys have to ride in races that need most fitness and skill.
Then have a 3m6f hcp to stayers with pro jockeys. The hunt chase being the novice version of this.

All these 4 races are better than the x country. Plus they are needed to fill all criteria.

It’s just about doable.plus it’s happening anyway.
Report Fashion Fever April 18, 2022 8:02 AM BST
jeez gold cup be run in dark its march
Report strontium April 18, 2022 11:06 AM BST
Astonished anyone would think Jamie Codd, Patrick Muillins et al. are unfit and unskilled!
Report 1st time poster April 18, 2022 11:06 AM BST
thats the
x country
ch hurd
mares
sandown veterans
aintree hurdle
midlands national
all diluted at a stroke plus general diluting of chelt
Report 1st time poster April 18, 2022 11:10 AM BST
if it comes the illusion of excellence has gone som rather than mess about with current races just rejig cards and add races from kemptons consolation races on the sat
Report CROPSICK April 18, 2022 11:13 AM BST
udsed to bet every race when it was 3 days now probably leave about 5 t0 6 alone.
Report 1st time poster April 18, 2022 11:30 AM BST
we now have pundits/RTC etc giving you naps bet of meeting blah,blah for mares chase
3 m 6f
bumper
mares nico race
boys race
x country
mares noc hurdle
all excuses to go to bar or have a wazz
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! April 21, 2022 5:57 PM BST
At a meeting yesterday Mr Renton indicated that they plan to build a hotel
beyond the finishing post
Looks like a 7 day festival on the way
Pricey rooms i suspect though
Shocked
Report ThePilgarlic April 21, 2022 7:49 PM BST
Unfortunately your average Cheltenham festival goer on a corporate day out doesn't care about the field size or quality. The money will talk and the sport will be a secondary concern.
Report CROPSICK April 21, 2022 8:23 PM BST
when it was 3 days i used to bet every race, have 3 days off work abd couldnt sleep on monday nighy waiting for it to start. Now i bet in less than half the races and watch about 16/17 of them the others i am not interested in.
Report sickoflayinwinners April 21, 2022 9:06 PM BST
thevracing is already horribly diluted and many races with only one or two horses with real chances, another day will dilute the  racing further, we will end up with a mars selling hurdle and a mares bumper or some other shote
Report A_T April 22, 2022 8:44 AM BST
3 days was always plenty but when there's money to be made..
Report the.mad.dog.man April 22, 2022 9:47 AM BST
just greed
Report adamski April 22, 2022 10:58 AM BST
Ian Renton - "Time to address the clamour these last few years for 5 days" - As Nick Luck put to him "What clamour?"

Always suspicious of anyone who lies to get their point of view across. He also said we've had 4 days for 20 years.

No surprise though is it? Didn't the same group want to build houses on Kempton Park?

Make more money but ruin the sport. Pure greed.
Report strontium April 22, 2022 10:59 AM BST
Quantity over quality is the pattern in sport now. Not just this, but the FA Cup, Challenge Cup, Test cricket, "Champions League"... I hate it.
Report CROPSICK April 22, 2022 11:17 AM BST
The way they look at is it wont affect attendaces because they will be chasing more corporate and younger 'day out' customers and we all know these dont give a fck what is running.
Report Manoleeds April 22, 2022 12:21 PM BST
Spot on Cropstick -stagger out of the bar to the nearest bookie "£10 favourite, mate".
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! April 22, 2022 1:28 PM BST
Champ says its a load of
manure
Devil
Report longbridge April 22, 2022 2:13 PM BST
@comingupthe hill

"Gold cup should be 5.15 on Saturday like the national. It should round off the 5 days"

Currently - as I understand it - the GC is run of fresh unraced ground - I cannot see how that can be done if it is the last race of a fifth day?
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com