Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
elisjohn
10 Jun 21 08:17
| Topic/replies: 16,584 | Blogger: elisjohn's blog
A look at the goings on, the experiences and the atmosphere at the races on derby day at epsom downs.
Pause Switch to Standard View LOOK AT LIFE DERBY DAY 1959. TALKING...
Show More
Report SlippyBlue June 10, 2021 9:58 AM BST
Thanks for the heads up on that elisjohn,I've got it set to record for later, cheers.
Report elisjohn June 10, 2021 12:03 PM BST
doubt anyone on here, there that day !
Report howard June 10, 2021 12:57 PM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zELM8JO8nOU    if u miss it
Report seaside June 10, 2021 1:16 PM BST
I was there for the 61 Derby
Report elisjohn June 10, 2021 2:36 PM BST
whaw seaside, 60 years agoCool
Report FOYLESWAR June 11, 2021 3:37 PM BST
seaside was there in 61 ,thats also the last time he tipped a winner ! ....................................only joking seaside!Laugh
Report seaside June 11, 2021 9:56 PM BST
I was at the dog Derby in 61 as well
Report FOYLESWAR June 12, 2021 7:47 AM BST
earliest memorys of going racing was at windsor jumps meeting back in the 70s walnut wonder connaught ranger were on the card that day ,not sure but think they both won that day  iirc .
Report Lee Ho Fooks June 12, 2021 10:24 AM BST
Memories.......... One of my earliest is of watching the racing on Saturdays & desperately wanting one called Simian to win because it seemed to always fall at the last. Didn't happen I'm sure but that's memories (and advancing years) for you
Report SlippyBlue June 12, 2021 12:46 PM BST
Seaside, I just had a quick look and Palms Printer won in 1961.Trained by Paddy McEvoy (Clapton) and sent off 2/1, won in a comparably good time of 28.84 .I can only imagine the atmosphere @ White City for a Derby final back then, it must have been quite an occasion I'm sure.
Report elisjohn June 12, 2021 12:51 PM BST
1961 English Greyhound Derby
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search
1961 English Greyhound Derby
Location    White City Stadium
Start date    10 June
End date    24 June
Total prize money    £2,000 (winner)
← 19601962 →
The 1961 Greyhound Derby took place during June with the final being held on 24 June 1961 at White City Stadium. [1] The winner Palms Printer received £2,000[2] and was trained by Paddy McEvoy and owned by Alf Heale.[3]

Contents
1    Final result
1.1    Distances
2    Competition Report
3    See also
4    References
Final result
At White City (over 525 yards):[4]

Position    Name of Greyhound    Breeding    Trap    SP    Time    Trainer
1st    Palms Printer    The Grand Champion - Palm Shadow    1    2-1    28.84    Paddy McEvoy (Clapton)
2nd    Oregon Prince    Knock Hill Chieftain - Burleigh's Fancy    2    6-4f    28.94    Phil Rees Sr. (Private)
3rd    Winter Bell    Champion Prince - Spanish Gardenia    5    50-1    29.04    Clare Orton (Wimbledon)
4th    Spider Hill    Forever Cloone - She Can Can    6    3-1    29.05    Joe Pickering (White City - London)
5th    Luxury Liner    Northern King - Brazen Hussy    4    10-1    29.17    

Distances
1¼, 1¼, short head, 1½, Dis (lengths)
The distances between the greyhounds are in finishing order and shown in lengths. From 1950 one length was equal to 0.08 of one second.[5]

Competition Report
The Racing Manager selected 36 greyhounds leaving 12 remaining places. They would be gained from three afternoon trial sessions and eight qualifying heats to determine the 12 final places. Qualifiers included Winter Bell and Clopook, the latter trained by 28 year old Ernie Gaskin (much later known as Gaskin Sr.) Gaskin was a new trainer only being granted his licence two months before the Derby started.[6]

The ante-post favourites list was headed by Oregon Prince (8-1) and Spider Hill (10-1).[7] Other leading contenders were litter brothers Clonalvy Pride and Clonalvy Romance; the latter had won the Grand Prix a month earlier. Defending champion Duleek Dandy was also entered for the event but had suffered a broken hock in late summer.[8]

First round casualties included both of the Clonalvy brothers, Duleek Dandy and two other strongly supported runners Careless Look and Prairie Flash. The bookmaker's only liability was Oregon Prince trained by Phil Rees Sr. who won heat two. One second round heat contained Oregon Prince and Clopook.[8]

In the semi-finals Palms Printer beat early leader Clopook to win in 28.69, third spot went to Spider Hill. The second semi went to Oregon Prince who won easily in 28.74 sec.[8]

Unusually the final did not feature a runner from Wembley (the first time since 1947). Winter Bell lined up as a first finalist for Clare Orton, son of Sidney Orton. Four of the finalists had made the final without winning any of the rounds and only the two semi-final winners came into the final with winning form. It was Oregon Prince that led at the first but moved wide allowing Palms Printer room to take a decisive lead. Oregon Prince battled well right up until the home straight when Palms Printers superior stamina told. Clopook was unfortunately knocked over.[8]
Report Oldgit1 June 12, 2021 10:03 PM BST
" .I can only imagine the atmosphere @ White City for a Derby final back then, it must have been quite an occasion I'm sure"
I used to go in the mid 50's and after I returned to London in 1966. It was amazing there for the Derby and Greyhound Grand National with a 40,000 crowd and the Derby Roar as the traps opened.
Some Saturdays when Chelsea were at home I'd go to the 6.15 starting Stamford Bridge Dog meeting. I'd leave before the last race and go on to either White City or Wandsworth.  Stamford Bridge also used to race on Thursday afternoons.
Report Lucky Luciano June 14, 2021 8:57 PM BST
Near the end there is a pitch with Johnny of Bromley up, made me look up
First betting shop (stiil at school)I went in regularly was in Hither Green, SE London called Johnny of Bromley’s, long gone, now corals,
Anyone know if there wee more shops in the Bromley area or  had a connection to john humphries who had betting shops and stood at catford for many years
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com