Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
steerforth
05 Jun 21 21:19
| Topic/replies: 877 | Blogger: steerforth's blog
June 5th 2021, BBC News website, Sports Page,
Links to:
French Open Tennis, headline story.
England New Zealand test match
Azerbaijan Grand Prix
Another French Open tennis story about a beaten Brit
American woman athlete second best over 100m
Another test match link
Rugby League - injured player drops ball
Women's Rugby league challenge cup
British Lions squad selection for South Africa tour
Football - Wales v Albania friendly
Aston Villa sign a defender from Norwich City
Five GB boxers to fight in Tokyo
Leicester Tigers v Bristol Bears rugby
Cardiff blues v Zebre - Rugby
Lauren Steadman earns Para-triathlon victory in Leeds
Castleford v Warrington - Rugby League
Criterium du Dauphine cycling

and tucked away amongst all this workaday mediocrity - with minor prominence -  Epsom Derby: Adayar secures surprise win for jockey Adam Kirby

If you ever needed confirmation that the popularity of horse racing was a 20th century phenomenon, here it is, the sport of kings in its chilling death throes.
The world's greatest horse race, for some of us the greatest sporting event on earth, reduced to a side line about a shock result by the national broadcaster. The battle is lost I fear.
Pause Switch to Standard View British Broadcasting Corporation
Show More
Report swiftynifty June 5, 2021 10:25 PM BST
It's poor from the Beeb considering there wasn't any other 'great' sport today but racing started the demise by moving it from a Wednesday.
Report Hayden June 5, 2021 10:29 PM BST
Can look at this two ways......

You could be right or Horse racing isn't suffering but the crap BBC website is getting used less and less by the day.

It's similar when there's lack of threads on some forum sports , the cry then is for the demise of that sports popularity but in reality the sports is fine it's the forum that's becoming less popular.

Admittedly a bit blinkered maybe as i never use BBC website and watch about one hour per week on their excuse for an entertaining TV channel.

I felt happier paying Poll tax than the TV licence.
Report jumper3 June 5, 2021 10:32 PM BST
Sky not much better. Just watched sports update there on Sky News at 10.20. No mention at all of The Derby. Football friendlies followed by F1 qualify and then the French tennis. Racing really is in peril. Hard to see it ever getting back it's position in the public consciousness.
Report ballyregan June 5, 2021 10:33 PM BST
in general bbc produce some terrible godawful tv programmes nowadays i have looked at this weeks listings and not one programme i will look forward to watch as for the wall with daniel dyer HELP
Report casemoney June 5, 2021 10:46 PM BST
BBC main coverage **** house davis cup rubbers
Report steerforth June 5, 2021 10:51 PM BST
Hayden - there is no "two ways" consideration here.  The BBC sets the social agenda for the unquestioning majority. Do you really believe that horse racing is actually quietly thriving in the public imagination despite the utter contempt it receives from our institutions and establishment? Yes racing has helped organise its own funeral with some monumental balls ups in driving the Derby into obscuriy, but our National Broadcaster is a disinterested bystander at the wake.
Report jumper3 June 5, 2021 11:00 PM BST
We have developed a socially liberal governing mindset the results of which may be positive in some areas but others, such as sporting pursuits involving animals and gambling with money are no noes. This has been developing now slowly for the last 30 years.
Report Hayden June 5, 2021 11:01 PM BST
Like i said steerforth you're probably correct but i'd kick myself for missing an opportunity to have a pop at that dreadful corporation.

The people responsible haven't done a great job in keeping racing up with modern requirements but that said the nature of the sport doesn't lend itself to modern society , the world is all about quick fixes these days especially gambling.

The last time i went racing and took a friend for their first time they moaned that a 5 furlong race was too long.
Report Ramruma June 5, 2021 11:07 PM BST
None of the newspaper front pages either, though they all have free Euros wallcharts.
https://news.sky.com/story/sundays-national-newspaper-front-pages-12325817
Report bellico June 5, 2021 11:26 PM BST
Yeah noticed that on BBC site,not even a minor headline, worrying, maybe a portent of where racing is heading,  obscurity.
Animals are seen now by a lot of people as pets,therefore racing is easily labelled  cruel.
Authorities will come under  increasing pressure to even justify its existence, the current toxicity around gambling is also harming
BBC probably just being very cautious about a sport where they have to vested interest
Report Ramruma June 5, 2021 11:35 PM BST
Chris Evans was right. When the Derby was moved to Saturday, Big Mac stuck a microphone under the noses of the great and good who all approved.

Except Chris Evans, who warned: a Saturday Derby is a great day for racing, but a Wednesday Derby was a great day for sport.
Report GoBallistic June 5, 2021 11:38 PM BST
Surprised the winner of the race got a mention - quite often on those BBC headlines it's just the jockey
Report G Hall June 6, 2021 12:18 AM BST
Look at that tool Southgate more animated about taking the knee, than he is about the actual football.
Report stu June 6, 2021 12:32 AM BST
TBH couldn't really give a fig whether the beeb is interested in racing. It's a lot wider in coverage these days, ITV, Sky, Racingtv etc.

It's never going to be a 'national' sport again, just for those who are interested. It hasn't been a national sport for a long time in reality.
Report Stark June 6, 2021 8:12 AM BST
BBC would have made it the top story on the news page if a woman or an ethnic had ridden the winner. All about their own lefty agendas for years now, the news output on TV is unwatchable.
Report jumper3 June 6, 2021 9:38 AM BST
Rachael Blackmore in the GN got mega extensive coverage because it was a first time win by a woman. Imagine if everything that happened in the GN turned out the same but instead of Rachael, it was Mark Walsh up? I suspect the race would have got half the coverage. The irony is that as Rachael and Briony and Hollie are showing, this is a sport where women can compete on equal terms with men.
Report morpteh mackem June 6, 2021 9:44 AM BST
been different kettle of fish if queenie had a runner in race and went and won
Report posy June 6, 2021 10:09 AM BST
Even worse was the 10pm radio 4 news bulletin ;the last item was 'Adayar ridden by Adam Kirby won the Derby by five and a half lengths from the hot favourite Bolshoi Ballet.
The news was read by some young sounding oik with a regional accent who sounded totally uninterested.
Like others I'd welcome the total dismantling of this left wing institution obsessed with trans and gay issues...
Report stu June 6, 2021 10:56 AM BST
Think we're getting a bit off topic however - the issue is whether BBC coverage is a real signal about the problems of racing. Personally I don't - though it is a signal that it will never hit heydays of earlier times when everyone in the country sat around and watched horse races together (or at least large proportions).

I don't see that happening again, but neither do I worry about that - it's like many media and sport aspects in modern society, everything is diluted these days, no longer national.

They will try and pretend the whole nation gets behind the football, but even that will be a lie in terms of real followers of the action.
Report stu June 6, 2021 10:57 AM BST
..and that will be the closest sport gets to being a national event.
Report steerforth June 6, 2021 2:33 PM BST
Going back to the original post, the fact that the race was written up as the "Epsom" Derby shows how little they understand or care about our heritage.
Report posy June 6, 2021 4:29 PM BST
steerforth the heritage problem doesn't just affect racing;next month they'll be referring to the 'British open'.
Report strontium June 6, 2021 5:15 PM BST
Agree entirely with the last two posts, but plenty of posts on here referring to the Epsom Derby.
Report strontium June 6, 2021 5:16 PM BST
Is the problem with flat racing, rather than racing? Plenty of coverage of Cheltenham and the Grand National on the BBC Sport website.
Report steerforth June 6, 2021 5:21 PM BST
I suspect its the feminist angle with the latter Strontium. They can't pass up the chance to peddle an important limb of their main agenda. The Grand National has been treated like an embarrassing anachronism before this year.
Report wroughtironronn June 6, 2021 6:47 PM BST
The BBC used to show Test Cricket, Golf Majors, Major Horserace Meetings, live Boxing and lots of live football. Now it concentrates on woke dramas, to$$er gary lineker, and biased propaganda (packaged as "new".
Report swiftynifty June 6, 2021 6:59 PM BST
I gave up early on the Shergar podcast due to irritating presenters and music.
Report onlooker June 6, 2021 7:00 PM BST
SKY NEWS Sports Presenter was just as bad ....

Talking over pictures of the finish, he said .....

"Kirby wearing the Blue SHIRT - won from MoNo Star and Hurricane STAR"

Then went on to being unable to pronounce Formula One Drivers and Tennis Players Names correctly.

How do these people get these jobs?
Report swiftynifty June 6, 2021 7:03 PM BST
onlooker, do you play the same game as me? How many mistakes can they make in a 2 minute bulletin that they wrote themselves? They've no idea who anyone is and they can't string a sentence together without stumbling. They should be working for the betfair helpdesk.
Report onlooker June 6, 2021 7:40 PM BST
It is not - " a game" - with me - swifty - rather ...

"GAME ON" ... with all Media - be it  - Broadcast or Written.
------------

What also amazes me is ...

The seer NUMBER of DIFFERENT Sports 'Presenters' the BBC have on their rolling BBC NEWS24 Channel  ....

- and they are supposed to 'effing SKINT !

I know exactly Where my Cutbacks would start.

Plus - Because they do bgarely broadcast any Live Sport - of ANY CONSEQUENCE - nowadays  -

Then ALL their Bulletins are about Obscure Events that 90% of the viewers are NOT interested in.... with a shallow deigned acknowledgement to the bigger Public interest at the END of the Bulletins.

Also, of course - Many, if not most, Bulletins begin with, and then are feature 2 and 3 - Women's Sport

NOT SURPRISING - Given the the HEAD of BBC SPORT is ..... a WOMAN

Witness the running order on the BBC FOOTBALL website - when you want to choose a League.

The List in ORDER reads ...

Premier League
Women's Football
Championship
League1
League2

Bloody BLATANT.
Report thelatarps June 6, 2021 8:09 PM BST
BBC 1 schedule is embarrassing.
Bunch of shows designed to scare their geriatric audience into thinking the outside world is full of kids/immigrants/conmen out to steal their pension money.
They dont like racing because the nasty jockey hits them with a tube of pipe lagging. Never mind that thoroughbreds live better lives than the 30% of kids in this country who live in poverty.
Which their supposed 'news' channel will never report..
Wether youre right wing or a lefty, we all have to agree that the licence fee simply has to go.
Report Hayden June 6, 2021 8:11 PM BST
Good post   Happy
Report thelatarps June 6, 2021 8:18 PM BST
cheers hay.
appreciate it
Report ballyregan June 6, 2021 8:25 PM BST
at the baftas they have just awarded the must see moment of the whole year to diversity and there blm dance.
Report thelatarps June 6, 2021 8:28 PM BST
Is that on now?
Fluck me you deserve a bafta just for sitting thru it..
Report ballyregan June 6, 2021 8:33 PM BST
it was that or mama mia here we go again thelatarps ,big narstie show has genuinely has just won best comedy entertainment show the tvs going off now
Report thelatarps June 6, 2021 8:37 PM BST
Youre right
An utter sh!te night of tv.
Cant even rely on itv to put up an old film, what with french open tennis on til 10pm
Report swiftynifty June 6, 2021 9:16 PM BST
Just looked at the winners, is the BAFTAs now only for BAME entries like the MOBOs?
Report ballyregan June 6, 2021 9:59 PM BST
bbc embracing diversity with open arms swifty
Report onlooker June 6, 2021 10:01 PM BST
BAFTAS - OSCARS - GRAMMYS - TV Awards - or whatever else  .... Never have watched a second of them.

Mind you - Never watch Films, Soaps, Reality TV or any other Make Believe nonsense....

So I could not name any of the nominees - let alone Winners ....

Thank goodness
Report Ibrahima Sonko June 6, 2021 10:05 PM BST
Every 3rd story on bbc website is about race.

The top 3 stories now (might even be 6!) have race at the core, evil corporation.
Report ballyregan June 6, 2021 10:07 PM BST
the only advantage of watching these programmes onlooker is it helps when answering the odd obscure tv question on the chase otherwise as you say it is a waste of time
Report steerforth June 7, 2021 1:16 AM BST
As the originator of this thread I have a slight concern about the direction it's taking. Yes I completely get the frustration and anger at the BBC agenda on race and gender - it's totally over played and hard to watch. But it is also a reaction to a history of prejudice and abuse. If I was a black 30 something I dare say I'd be standing up for my self respect. But on the other hand I hope I'd be suggesting that we all tone it down a bit and accept each other for the people we are - just ditch the tokenism.
Report barstool June 7, 2021 12:28 PM BST
It is not just the BBC. Every advert you see is ott with inclusiveness/pc. Which is a shame, as it should just be reflective of how we really are and nothing more. The days of the PG Tips monkeys or the Guiness Touken have gone sadly and you can't even mention the "Robertson's Jam" adverts.

Still, we get on with life. Good luck with the GG's today.
Report stu June 7, 2021 1:05 PM BST
PC is endemic for sure, not only the beeb. One thing I don't like is how it is often branded as only a 'left wing' approach though. In my politics I'm mostly left-wing (Tories are selfish barstewards) but I also cannot stand the modern PC campaign and how it gets everywhere. Being left wing does not make you have to support PC which some seem to confuse.
Report howard June 7, 2021 1:30 PM BST
They try to ignore anything they don't cover. They have to mention football etc but racing they can relegate.
Report Duncan Disordorli June 7, 2021 1:43 PM BST
Good post Steerforth, though not many would have have described the Derby as "the greatest sporting event on earth" but your point is well made. As one who used to live and breathe horseracing, I didn't even realise until the afternoon that Saturday was Derby Day. Worse, I was indoors but didn't bother turning it on.
I am honest enough to admit that horseracing for me was mainly a gambling commodity though the big meetings certainly got the juices going. The Derby to most is just another horserace these days. The BBC used to give the race the respect it deserved until it lost coverage. It's been downhill since, the switch to Saturday was insane. The problem is with racing itself, frankly it's pretty poor entertainment to all but the diehards. Drinking and having a few bets is the motive for the public...not the sport.
Still surprising that the website rated it so low in its content, however the BBC knows what its readers would rather see, something like a photo of a 'top' trainer sitting on a dead horse giving the thumbs up signal. Alongside that, the result of a horserace is of little interest, even if it's the once glorious Derby.
Report .Marksman. June 7, 2021 7:12 PM BST
Duncan, I am sorry to hear that you have lost interest in horse racing.  I am curious:  What have you replaced it with in your life?
I realize that I was jaded with it and was starting to find it monotonous.  Then, last year, we had no racing at all for 10 weeks and I came back hungry for it.  Big races were packed close together to catch up for lost time.  I loved it!  Just from my point of view, I'd like it if we did have a gap after the Cheltenham festival every year, then came back for the flat and possibly the Grand National.  But even as it is this year, the thrill is still as great now as it was 50 years ago.
But the mainstream media have moved against racing and the BBC is the worst offender and things could turn out badly for racing in UK faster than people think.
Also high admission charges such as at Chester (£60 general admission, £80 to go in the paddock) will discourage people from attending.
Report Dr Crippen June 7, 2021 8:01 PM BST
Like others I'd welcome the total dismantling of this left wing institution obsessed with trans and gay issues...

It's not going to happen.

Twice the Tories have done a review of the BBC after suggesting that reform was imminent, and twice they've kicked the can down the road.

So until people stop slavishly paying the licence fee there will be no reform.
Report Duncan Disordorli June 7, 2021 8:19 PM BST
Hi Marksman, I retired from the game about 12 years ago simply because I had reached a point of absolute boredom. Working from home on Betfair daily simply became a job and your descriptions "jaded and monotonous" are accurate. You mention "50 years ago" so we are in the same age bracket and yes racing was a thrill back then even though I was leaving my cash behind at that time ! The very name Lester Piggott still excites as it triggers memories of him looking round as he nursed the likes of Nijinsky home. Horseracing was scarcely seen back then on TV as was football which kept the sports fresh. Today ? It's just channel filler stuff and a conveyor belt of mediocrity.
What have I replaced it with ? Real life ! At 1.45 if I am having lunch with friends I am not thinking I am going to miss the first race. Reading, music, films, travelling have reminded me of the delights outside of gambling. I am not knocking the game, I earned a living from my hobby and perhaps it's just an age thing. I reckon many of the younger guys won't ever see themselves giving the game up but as it gets more and more difficult to make the game pay (even on here I am told) maybe they too will tire of the hours put in.
Glad you got your enthusiasm back Marksman and I wish you well.
Report posy June 7, 2021 8:42 PM BST
Crippen ,good to see you back posting.......have you returned from a lengthy ban ?
Report Dr Crippen June 7, 2021 9:45 PM BST
Thanks posy.
Yes I got sidelined for six months for unspecified posts on a thread which I started that criticised two Labour mayors.
So I don't know what they banned me for.

Perhaps they find my username offensive.
Report casemoney June 8, 2021 2:04 AM BST
Sheriff KHAN  ? Dr hope your well mate long time
Report Dr Crippen June 8, 2021 11:12 AM BST
Thanks casemoney.

Yes the tiny sheriff figured prominently in the thread. And to a lesser extent did woke heavy little Andy Burnham, who looks like Labour's last hope this decade.
That's despite failing twice in bids to become Labour's leader.

But why not next time?
With wooden Kier Starmer challenging strongly for the title of worst Labour leader ever, even a two-time loser like little Andy Burnham looks a better option.
Report The Chicken June 16, 2021 2:50 PM BST
Currently, the main story on the BBC Sport homepage relates to women's cricket.

The second slot goes to Euro 2020 football.

There is no mention of Royal Ascot.
Report The Chicken June 17, 2021 8:07 AM BST
If you scroll down far enough, there is a report on yesterday's Royal Ascot action on the BBC Sport homepage!

It seems to have been written by somebody on a YTS scheme who thinks it's big deal that one of the races was won by a woman, but we should be grateful that the Beeb has deigned to give our minority sport some much-needed publicity.
Report onlooker June 17, 2021 9:27 AM BST
The Chicken 17 Jun 21 07:07 

It seems to have been written by somebody on a YTS scheme who thinks it's big deal that one of the races was won by a woman,
-----------

I keep  posting .... The Head of BBC SPORT is .... a WOMAN

Are you surprised, therefore ....
-----------

BBC TV News said on Tuesday evening ...

Royal ascot took place - "in front of 4,000 Spectators"

They have NOT got a clue.

Obviously merely looked at the Covid Rules ...   'Outdoor gatherings - 4,000 people'

However Stadiums - and larger events - allowed many more - Wembley Euros - soon to be Wimbledon etc

Telegraph Sport ...

Frankie Dettori winning, HRH presence, 12,000 in attendance: Royal Ascot was back in style
Report Greenacres June 17, 2021 9:52 AM BST
First race  Royal Ascot  Tuesday - got the final two furlongs and even then think it was a recording....really appalling coverage by the BBC.
Report saddo June 17, 2021 10:11 AM BST
They are determined to make you join in the pretence that women's sport is of equal quality to men's sport. I notice many women pundits on the football these days. With respect they really have not played at the same level, why are they shoehorned in to the men's tournaments?
If it wasn't for our emerging fine female talent they would hardly mention racing at all.
Report lead on June 17, 2021 10:20 AM BST
On Radio Scotland they seem unable to mention a club or competition without referring to men's or women's...e.g Scotland's men or the men's euros... FFS!...as for having to suffer the voice and looks of the ex Scotland women's team manager commenting on the EurosCry
Report .Marksman. June 17, 2021 10:57 AM BST
Since Victoria Pendleton, who the media considered to be an outstanding talent and really wanted her to win a race at sometime, the BBC have shown little interest in racing.  What they need is a feel good story that they can get behind.  One possibility is if a gelding ran in the Oaks due to it identifying as "female".  I imagine they would really be rooting for it to win.  Even though snowflakes would start saying that castrating animals is cruel, this would only feed into the imagined victim syndrome and the BBC would get even more behind the "female indetifying" horse.
Report scaredmoney June 17, 2021 11:05 AM BST
Makes me poorly all this woke sh1te Sad
Report sageform June 17, 2021 11:51 AM BST
I would not base anything on the BBC. They have lost the contracts to cover racing and their sports news coverage has always been heavily skewed towards sports they cover on radio and TV. No doubt the animal rights activists and vegans on their boards have an influence as well. Note how much tennis is covered as we approach Wimbledon.
Report Dr Crippen June 17, 2021 11:52 AM BST
if a gelding ran in the Oaks due to it identifying as "female"

I like that.
Report isleham June 17, 2021 1:55 PM BST
top story on their website..womens cricket which if you watch sky currently barely has a crowd of one man and his dog while
royal ascot would normally have 60000 barely gets a mention.
we are all paying for this totally one-sided organisation
Report .Marksman. June 18, 2021 2:24 PM BST
Had a look at the BBC sports website to see if it is as ridiculous as people say.
The lead story was that the women's cricket test has been delayed due to rain.
Lower down there was mention that the Men's test in the World Test Championships had also been delayed.
A big feature about the future star of track and field.  (11th best in the world for women's hurdles)
Evidence of this was the number of followers on social media and the money she is making from endorsements (probably due to her being very pretty)
In all there were 31 stories.  Racing did not feature in any of them, despite the Ascot Gold Cup being run yesterday.
Report steerforth July 8, 2021 12:46 AM BST
And the headline on the site tonight: -
"Live - England into first major men's final since 1966 - Reaction"

I can think of a few!!
Report .Marksman. July 8, 2021 2:16 PM BST
Just had a look at BBC "Sport":
One of the stories is: Paddy McGuinness replaces Sue Barker as A Question of Sport host
This is nothing to do with "sport", but just a celebrity (who is famous for nothing in particular) being given the (invitably overpaid) job of hosting a boring old quiz that was already going when I was in primary school.  (The days of Cliff Morgan and Henry Cooper)
Report duncan idaho July 8, 2021 2:58 PM BST
snowflake forum please
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com