Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
MythWA
25 May 21 10:11
| Topic/replies: 274 | Blogger: MythWA's blog
Letter in the RP.
74 yr old punter given a letter from an 'embarrassed shop manager' (he has been a customer for 50 years) demanding ACs passport wage slips bank statement etc He is not allowed to bet with any other shop (bookmaker not mentioned) until approved.
If this is true (presumably the RP followed it up) then this is as serious as it gets for the whole betting industry.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 63
By:
Brian
When: 25 May 21 11:13
He surely will just use a different bookmaker but it is a load of nonsense unless they know he has a significant problem.
By:
devilsadvocate
When: 25 May 21 11:23

May 25, 2021 -- 11:13AM, Brian wrote:

He surely will just use a different bookmaker but it is a load of nonsense unless they know he has a significant problem.

Why should he have to use a different bookmaker? He has been a customer for 50 years and no doubt likes that shop. Also, at 74 he may have mobility issues preventing him from getting to another shop ?

By:
railroader
When: 25 May 21 11:40
Ridiculous I received an email 2 weeks ago off a bookie who wanted bank statements passport photo in the end I just asked them to withdraw all funds and shut the account
By:
Blackrock
When: 25 May 21 11:46
Bookies don't want affordability checks but have to. Things will only get worse with draconian limits on how much you can lose just around the corner.
By:
Trident
When: 25 May 21 12:52
Your be lucky to get a Tenner EW soon.
By:
SlippyBlue
When: 25 May 21 12:53
If anyone asked me for anything like this it would be instant closure of the account by me.
By:
ericster
When: 25 May 21 13:23
Madness.Cry
By:
howard
When: 25 May 21 13:31
Was he someone that had one of those card accounts in shops ?  Can someone post letter please ?
By:
punts
When: 25 May 21 13:33
I don't get why they are doing this..

Funds to wager with come from discretionary income or already built up funds.

Is anyone really taking out a loan to bet on here? is this what their concerned about or looking for?

It's also very intrusive. 

Not sure if I would submit to the checks myself. It could be a case of having no option Angry
By:
punts
When: 25 May 21 13:34
Sorry I should clarify: bookies* not here although I'm sure its coming
By:
The Management
When: 25 May 21 14:29
It seems increasingly obvious to me that this has got NOTHING to do with affordability and is all about inconveniencing/annoying/ditching customers that don't fit the right profile.

I am not anticipating that this will affect me - but if I thought that it would (or if came across an opportunity that involved having to make a large deposit) - I would be pre-empting it and writing in advance to ask for the formula/criteria that they are using to trigger an "affordability" check. My guess would be that they would not be able to provide one!
By:
impossible123
When: 25 May 21 18:21
If this happens to me I'll be long gone, and probably bet elsewhere - legal or not. I'll never forward my personal financial account to bookie (never) as they cannot be trusted with only self-interest their only aim.

Affordability Check was bookies induced. They clearly got greedy and conveniently and deliberately ignored those account holders who'd not afford to lose or betting/losing mega amounts with funds fraudulently obtained.
By:
donb
When: 25 May 21 18:27
As usual with those do gooders putting this through the law of unintended consequences comes into play. Bookies will use this to target those with spare funds for special offers etc and they can ignore those who have little or no funds.  Way to go morons.
By:
JML
When: 25 May 21 22:43
Far to little information in the opening post.

He might of gone from someone who only placed 2 £1 lucky 15s a day pre lockdown to now losing £200 a day in the machine.

Normally the industry would take advantage of this obvious weakness in his mental health and do anything to leave him penniless.
By:
ericster
When: 27 May 21 09:20
If the government is so concerned about affordability, shouldn't they be going after the big-time losers with this?
I'm a two-quidder ffs.
My betting liabilities wouldn't feed the cat.
By:
tony6499
When: 27 May 21 10:21
I do penny lines of place pots up to about £15 a bet on weekends and big meetings and got an email this week wanting to know all about my finances, job, etc
By:
EastLower Gooner
When: 27 May 21 10:40
He should carry out his own affordability check on the bookmaker.

How does he know the person he’s handing his cash over across the counter isn’t pocketing the money. Maybe giving it to ISIS or buying heroin and shooting up in the back.

These things happen and it’s important as customers to know they companies we use are well run imo

I remember a most amusing story from my local Corals...new guy working in the shop...been there a few weeks scarpered off one evening with takings he was supposed to deposit at the bank.

Apparently booked a flight to India never to be seen again.

My area all of the punters are older gents just there for the chat so as soon as I popped in they couldn’t wait to tell me.

It was so funny...comments like - he was such a nice boy too lol
By:
ericster
When: 27 May 21 10:49
Laugh
By:
ericster
When: 27 May 21 10:53
I bet a  betting offices are missing a few old boys now with this covid sh1t going on.
By:
greenteethnarrabacktroutmoy
When: 27 May 21 13:48
this will happen (has happened to plenty i know) who deposit regularly and arnt willing show to show the source of income.
By:
Fashion Fever
When: 27 May 21 13:49
isn't lee your mate Steve
By:
greenteethnarrabacktroutmoy
When: 27 May 21 13:51
where does a lee come into the equation?
By:
ericster
When: 27 May 21 14:22
Interesting perspective there TM.
By:
RothmanMike
When: 27 May 21 15:08
Probably scammers masquerading as bookmakers, trying to get bank details.
Ignore them, I’m sure they’ll go away.
By:
ericster
When: 27 May 21 15:29
Now [THERE'S] a thought.
By:
The Management
When: 27 May 21 15:36
As well as not trusting anyone that works for a bookmakers (in most shops the float goes missing about twice a year on average and somebody is sacked for pinching the "sleepers" on a regular basis) - but online I would be a lot more worried about secure storage and hackers.

Send all your vital personal details to a business that's responsible for a site that crashes more often than Evel Knievel and can't change a clock?

I don't think so.
By:
Shanelee1966
When: 27 May 21 17:24
KYC. If they want to know me then i suggest they invite and the Mrs to join them at a nice restaurant.

Don`t send them feck all, too many scammers out there.
By:
EastLower Gooner
When: 27 May 21 18:01
Good point Management...

People should ask for extensive details on how your information will be treated ie

The full process guide from the moment the documents arrive to when it’s destroyed / removed from the system.

With full details of what is involved in each step along with names and background information on all individuals looking at it.

Also be petty and request that it be provided in colour...like they do.

Not being funny but such a document should exist right?
By:
howard
When: 27 May 21 18:06
Don't deposit.  Just win and withdraw. Simple.
By:
The Management
When: 27 May 21 18:08
I think that's it exactly howard - don't deposit - but it's a betting exchange - after a few months of this nonsense - who do you think you will be winning from?
By:
trance
When: 27 May 21 18:53
I like the fact the tote warn you that is you lose x amount more you'll be subject to financial checks yet send a marketing email encouraging you to bet virtually every day. I do one placepot on a saturday and never win, so they should be looking into my affairs in 2032.
By:
Brian
When: 27 May 21 19:12
If it would be useful if Betfair told us what their criteria is as some of those affected on here are lifetime winners (according to the forum messages anyway). It surely would help them if we avoided the pitfalls.
By:
longbridge
When: 28 May 21 12:13
@Brian

" It surely would help them if we avoided the pitfalls"

Really?  Imagine this convo:

UKGC: "So, Betfair, you will have done those affordability checks you said you would?"
BF:   "Umm, no actually"
UKGC  "And why is that?"
BF:   "We told all our customers what the criteria for being checked were so they all gamed their behaviour to avoid them"
By:
The Management
When: 28 May 21 12:33
Sounds like the perfect solution to me longbridge - people that were deemed (albeit by some clueless quango) to be losing more than they could afford, moderate their behaviour and start to lose amounts that are deemed affordable. Is that not exactly the objective?
By:
howard
When: 28 May 21 13:03
TM , i'm just talking to forumites who are all winnersWink
By:
The Management
When: 28 May 21 13:19
As Hot Chocolate said Howard - "Everyone's a winner baby, that's the truth" Shocked

But it still begs the question - who will all the winners be winning from - once all the "degenerate losers" (that obviously don't post on here!) have had their deposits throttled?
By:
ballyregan
When: 28 May 21 13:42
today i have had my account suspended randomly for the fourth time in a year each time it was a pain to overcome but each time was done with flying colours , it is today another random security check this is not responsible gambling related but they they say they are allowed to do this at any stage after registration. having a betfair betting account is horrendous every time i log in or get an email i expect something negative from betfair i dread suspension or a negative email, I have accounts with laddies william hill smarkets and everythings positive tbh emails etc and i have had to verify once with betfair it is redtape city great exchange horrendous company to bet with so uncomfortable
By:
ballyregan
When: 28 May 21 13:43
ps just send in id address in and another utility bill within 6 months account reopened they must have a folder with all my material in unless they have lost it
By:
RothmanMike
When: 28 May 21 13:51
Looks like you are a newby.
You’ll get used to it.
Me,I’ve been on here for ages, and no account problems from Betfair whatsoever.
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com