Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Gordon63
18 May 21 09:13
| Topic/replies: 3,208 | Blogger: Gordon63's blog
myself and around 10 fellow enthusiasts were part of what appeared to be a decent crowd at Carlisle yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised at how 'normal' things were - masks indoors and table service only being the two most noticeable restrictions.  the table service, reliant on a jockey club app to start with which was a) slow b) difficult to see on a mobile phone in the sunlight, so our table resorted to asking the service staff to write down our orders and that worked better - oftentimes the staff were returning drinks to the bar because they either had the wrong table or the wrong order, we did make our views known to one of the staff and our table received a complementary round of drinks, so it was reassuring to know that they were taking things onboard.  I prefer Carlisle as a jumps track but it was competitive if mid-to-low class racing with a good spread of winning trainers/jockeys.  I also got my winning placepot ticket from my last venture on course, Catterick Feb 2020, paid out!! A welcome relief to see people and horses again in the flesh and hopefully vaccine roll out and efficacy keeps us on track for full release next month.
Pause Switch to Standard View Carlisle - First Day Back
Show More
Report ItsMeSwaddle May 18, 2021 10:45 AM BST
Redcar queues to get in were horrendously long but took less than 15 mins to get to the front which was good.

Thought Redcar did a great job too.
Report foxy May 18, 2021 11:59 AM BST
Great to hear you were both happy with been back on the racecourse.
Report ItsMeSwaddle May 18, 2021 12:27 PM BST
Thought the staff were very relaxed when people were technically breaking the covid rules, which depedant on your covid stance, was great! Nout worse than someone petty telling you what to do and what not to, not that anyones was intentionally breaking the rules ofc!
Report The Knight May 19, 2021 2:25 PM BST
It was the same at Nottingham yesterday. Around 80 to 90% normal.

So much for all the gripers on here a week or so ago!
Report The Pies May 19, 2021 2:35 PM BST
Knight, I'll probably be at Nottm soon, what if any inconveniences was there. I never bother with food/ drink on course.
Report onlooker May 19, 2021 2:57 PM BST
^  He takes his own Pies.   Happy
Report flatcap May 19, 2021 3:05 PM BST
only 1 enclosure York Saturday with no dress code.

Wonder if the members will attend wearing track suite and trainers LaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report The Pies May 19, 2021 3:15 PM BST
Oh dear Onlooker
Report The Knight May 20, 2021 10:28 AM BST
Pies,

No, I don;t use the drinking or eating facilities either. Had to wear a mask if going inside to toilet, or to get out of the rain! Only two placed horses in winner's enclosure. Only 12 allowed in the on-course betting shop and this was marshalled all afternoon. But the big bar under the stand was open as usual.

Other than that, full parade ring access and grandstand viewing.

Notts use the Manpower agency for stewarding and one of their guys was being a bit too enthusiastic after race 1, going around the grandstand steps telling us to put masks on. But then someone must have told him that wasn't required and it did not happen again.

So, all in all, for real racing fans the experience was better than expected.

Southwell last night had a bit more roped off because the big open area under the stand is now the jocks changing room. But viewing as usual and for us annual members there, the bar area upstairs was open.

If this is what it is to be like until the p*ss heads return, well better it stays like this!!
Report The Pies May 20, 2021 11:00 AM BST
Cheers Knight sounds ok
Report DIFERENT GRAVY 12 May 20, 2021 11:07 AM BST
Off to Haydock on Saturday, the Newton Stand will be closed so that should keep out the tagged single mums pushing prams with multi-coloured kids in.
Report big dunc May 20, 2021 11:31 AM BST
Paid my first visit to Carlisle on Monday, the set up reminded me very much like Musselburgh i really enjoyed it,

free racing post handed out to us as we were waiting in the queue

made a nice profit on the day so i'm always happy with that

even enjoyed the chicken n mushroom pie with chips peas and gravy for a fiver
Report ItsMeSwaddle May 20, 2021 3:14 PM BST
Market Rasen and Notts share the Jockey Club in common. Unbearable today jobsworth coming round , can you pull your mask up please, and you can tell she is really enjoying telling people what to do as well. 

Far too many officials or stewards for punters too. Doesn’t work like that in really but a few less staff onto the prize money would do no harm

She doesn’t make the rules but masks outside is ridic
Report The Knight May 20, 2021 4:40 PM BST
Yup,

Just back from Rasen.

Had to wear masks underneath the grandstand today. Pretty stupid.

Hope this isn't a JC-wide policy now.

It isn't a showstopper but just seems pretty petty when shivering with a strong wind and pouring rain - both of which we had today.

Swaddle - I noted that the Manpower girl today was asking us to put masks on but then a JC girl came around step by step before the first! OTT.
Report ItsMeSwaddle May 20, 2021 6:35 PM BST
I am really surprised by it, group of 5 lads in front of me in the stand, constantly told to sit down when drinking, floor p wet through, possibly causing them to get through pints slower and id guess costing the course £50 odd quid a group, would all add up if it works like that in reality.

Hope you enjoyed the racing Knight, I did, "its just a nice place"!
Report ItsMeSwaddle May 20, 2021 6:38 PM BST
What is bizzare is the amount of covid style staff they have, someone there all day as you go in the stand, a couple coming round mask checking, secuirty staff absolutely everywhere, ffs you have an average age of approx 60 odd, what is the worst that can happen.
Report The Knight May 20, 2021 10:03 PM BST
Yes, always enjoy Rasen but cut out early today because it the betting wasn't clicking with me. Sometimes you can just tell.

I noticed those lads, as well. Has they been able to drink at usual pace I suspect they may have become a bit of a problem for the stewards. High spirits, drink and some petty rules could have been combustible.

As for what the worse that can happen, well ever since this all started 14 months ago the safety of outdoors has been underplayed and it really annoys me.

Tracks should have stood up for themselves much more but were using it as an excuse to cultivate their big days only. That failed and so now they have slightly bigger than normal mid-week crowds but with the extra expense of loads of staff!

I don't know whether it is the tracks or the local authorities being so picky. I was due at Haydock tomorrow but the ticket can waste because it is a 180 mile round trip and if the rain is as heavy as forecast the meeting could be in danger. That and also how I have started back well out of form.

So, Notts Sunday and I will see then if the JC now have a policy of masks on despite standing on a wind- and rain-swept grandstand!
Report Gordon63 May 21, 2021 8:15 AM BST
renewed my Hamilton membership yesterday as course has go ahead for limited crowds from next Wednesday - Carlisle is also JCR but I can't comment on wearing masks in grandstand as I sat at a table around half furlong marker and only moved from there for toilet, betting ring and shelter during a 10 minute downpour, but I certainly didn't hear from anyone else in the group about over zealous stewarding
Report ItsMeSwaddle May 21, 2021 8:37 PM BST
Catterick much more pleasant and relaxed the night.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com