Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Gordon63
03 May 21 13:15
| Topic/replies: 3,035 | Blogger: Gordon63's blog
Yes I know it's the racing thread but many of the forum extremists are on here!! Scotland officially will have 3,600 tickets from the 22,500 available for the match on Friday 18th June but I'd wager there will be a higher percentage come kick off but the real question for the lockdown fixated 'establishment' will be how many Scots will be in Trafalgar Square before during and after the match - myself, two brothers and three nephews are all booked to go.
Pause Switch to Standard View Scotland at Wembley
Show More
Report second again May 3, 2021 2:25 PM BST
I read somewhere that Trafalgar Sqr will be closed of or public access will be limited that day.I cant remember why.
Report 11kv May 3, 2021 2:38 PM BST
https://www.cityam.com/trafalgar-square-lined-up-to-host-12500-football-supp...
Report layingisthewayforward May 3, 2021 2:38 PM BST
Looking forward to watching this in the pub. Expect England to win by 3 or 4.
Report Deptford May 3, 2021 2:42 PM BST
Royal Ascot as well, what a day.
Report jimnast May 3, 2021 2:45 PM BST
royal ascot trying to get permission for 10,000 wembly gets 22,500 charming
Report jimnast May 3, 2021 2:46 PM BST
laying, not allowed in pubs till 21st june beer garden i am afraid.
Report jimnast May 3, 2021 2:47 PM BST
sorry thats wrong may 17th Blush
Report layingisthewayforward May 3, 2021 2:50 PM BST
No worries Jim. Yeah deffo 17th May, have that date etched into my brain ExcitedLaugh
Report Deptford May 3, 2021 2:53 PM BST
Second year of missing Royal Ascot and maybe same for visit to Vegas.
Report jimnast May 3, 2021 3:03 PM BST
its got me that way also laying

big chunk of our lives deptford missing 2 royal ascots its not to bad for younger people they have many meetings ahead.
Report Gordon63 May 3, 2021 3:03 PM BST
may 17th carlisle - first day back racing and pubs open indoors, about 10 of us coming down!!  closing off trafalgar square to several thousand Scots, yeah good luck with that!!
Report jimnast May 3, 2021 3:05 PM BST
gordon you are aware you need to be booking tickets in advance for carlisle ?
Report Gordon63 May 3, 2021 3:06 PM BST
been racing all over the world and many big meetings - dubai world cup, arc, breeders cup, festival, grand national etc BUT you couldn't pay me to go to Royal Ascot!!! I too however am contemplating when it might be safe (and reasonable air fares, currently exorbitant) to book for vegas, was there in Jan 2020 before the lockdown madness started thank god.
Report jimnast May 3, 2021 3:08 PM BST
have you ever been to royal ascot gordon ?
Report Deptford May 3, 2021 3:09 PM BST
Tuesday abd Wednesday great days racing, a delight to be there.
Report Gordon63 May 3, 2021 3:09 PM BST
jimnast - yes I invested some of my £100s from racing4rewards in 4 tickets for our crowd but I know at least same number from each of Edinburgh and Glasgow also booked, trains also booked because they too are less frequent and accordingly more expensive. Our favourite Carlisle pub, The Caledonian reopens that same day so for once in the past year and a half, perhaps the stars are aligned!!
Report jimnast May 3, 2021 3:11 PM BST
whilst i prefer those two days deptford i also enjoy the other three.
Report Gordon63 May 3, 2021 3:14 PM BST
no jimnast, goes against all my principles, I'm happy to watch from afar, used to go to Ascot Heath Saturday and more regularly Ascot jumps meetings, I actually think Ascot is a better NH track than flat because the draw bias is such a factor on straight track and so many jockeys just can't get themselves into the right position on the round track. My favourite single days racing of the year is Thursday of Grand National meeting, 4 Grade 1s to start the card and no dressing up crap, lots of accessible food and drink, great service from Liverpool on Metro - all basics denied the racegoer at Royal Ascot
Report jimnast May 3, 2021 3:15 PM BST
dempseys in carlisle was always ok for a nose bag gordon although its a few years since i have been in.
Report jimnast May 3, 2021 3:17 PM BST
i also like ascot national hunt ,but love royal ascot,
Report San Quentin May 3, 2021 4:55 PM BST
I also a big fan of Royal Ascot,although hate the dressing up.Ascot is a great place to go for an ordinary NH/flat meeting.Plenty room,great viewing.
Report San Quentin May 3, 2021 4:59 PM BST
I would avoid Trafalgar Square at all costs on the 18th,why would anyone want to experiance that,it will be truly horrific.
Report jimnast May 3, 2021 5:04 PM BST
san the facilities at the ascot quiet meetings are superb as is the view ,at a jumps fixture i nip out during racing and get something from the bakers on the high street cracking bacon buttys Love
Report onlooker May 3, 2021 5:27 PM BST
Make the most of it Gordon

After your Independence - and jogging off back to the EU ....

We won't be letting you in, again.  Happy

Just Northern Ireland to get rid of, then  - and we 'get the double up'.
Report Gordon63 May 3, 2021 8:01 PM BST
Onlooker - 400 leaflets this morning and same again tomorrow, Indyref2 on the cards then we'll see how desperate the 'state' is to retain the union. Agree ref NI, that's likely the next one to go, DUP already crumbling as that reality comes to bite.  Personally I voted Leave and it would take a (highly unlikely) significant change in 'terms and conditions'before I wouldn't be campaigning vigorously against rejoining. 

SQ will either be delighted or heartbroken, his endless concerns about 'separatism' and 'divisiveness' can be interpreted both ways.  I've been to Trafalgar Square ahead of 'Auld Enemy' matches three times, twice I had tickets for the match, a great place to meet up with auld friends and a few songs - the sort of bonhomie that I think SQ would frown upon
Report lead on May 3, 2021 8:16 PM BST
Were you around in '67 when we became World champions,Gordon?
Report sixtwosix May 3, 2021 8:33 PM BST
I thought it was 78 in Argentina you became world champions.
Report onlooker May 3, 2021 8:38 PM BST
^  Some of 'Ally's Army' - have not found out yet - that they did NOT win.  Happy
Report lead on May 3, 2021 8:49 PM BST
Ally actually had a lot of otherwise sane fans believing we were going to win itLaugh
Report lead on May 3, 2021 8:51 PM BST
Mind you...Archie Gemmil's goal was deserving of winning any world cup
Report Gordon63 May 3, 2021 9:06 PM BST
lead on - I was 4 at the time but I've watched baxter keepie up about 1000 times!! as for 78 - remember it well, there's a cracking documentary about the whole sorry episode, some say the hampden send off was the beginning of the end but the SFA blazers and the lack of training facilities where they had 'selected' their base were the two main issues, soon to be followed by willie johnson and teofilio cubillas!! when we went 1 up on Peru I thought christ we are playing well - Iran well that was predictable given the circumstances, leading on to having to beat the dutch (who were best team in 74 and 78 despite what the records show!) by three clear goals and after the archie masterclass we were up by 2, unbelievable scenes - then rep scored from about the half way line, glorious failure!!! with the squad we had at the time it was criminal that we didn't qualify for next stage
Report sixtwosix May 3, 2021 9:09 PM BST
Don't forget 74 , inability to stack a hatful past the hapless Zaire after drawing with Yugoslavia and Brazil ......only unbeaten team in the competition.
Report Gordon63 May 3, 2021 9:22 PM BST
actually we played zaire first which was a factor i.e. they got worse as the tournament went on but even when I watch the Brazil game now, it's incredible we didn't win!! we had a good team in 74 but 78 probably the best squad we've ever had
Report jimnast May 3, 2021 9:30 PM BST
1978 world cup betting first 6 teams

west germany 3/1
brazil 7/2
argentina 5/1
holland 6/1
italy 6/1
scotland 6/1

move on 40 years

brazil 4/1
germany 5/1
spain 5/1
france 6/1
argentina 9/1
belguim 11/1

2 points imagine finding anybody to back scotland at 6/1 to win a world cup in south america ,and by god the firms really did stick it up the punters back then just look at the percentages of the front 6.
Report lead on May 3, 2021 9:33 PM BST
It's always been glorious failure though..and no doubt this summer's going to bring more of the same...cant wait though!
Report lead on May 3, 2021 9:37 PM BST
Of course we'll have to suffer the toe-curling scenes of Sturgeon et al pretending they're interested
Report jimnast May 3, 2021 9:38 PM BST
englands had plenty of those lead on probably more than you.
Report lead on May 3, 2021 9:43 PM BST
They still manage to outperform us usually,jimnast...personally I hate when Channon trains a winner..just cant forgive his celebrations at beating us all these years ago
Report Gordon63 May 3, 2021 9:45 PM BST
aye jimnast but I think the failures mean more to us somehow...i was living in toulouse in 98 and got ticket for the norway game in bordeaux, great 2 days and again we played quite well only to follow up with a 3-0 hammering off morocco!!  i had some english friends over to stay with me and they went to the romania 3-2 game, they were all pissed off and well i was just pissed!! schadenfraude doesn't do it justice!!
Report jimnast May 3, 2021 9:47 PM BST
yes i still remember him celebrating after the 76 cup final my first visit to wembly Cry
Report jimnast May 3, 2021 9:52 PM BST
not sure about that gordon plenty are distraught here when england get beat.
Report Gordon63 May 3, 2021 9:57 PM BST
aye jimnast I've seen that whilst living down south but I think your club allegiances are more important than national team (unless you're in advanced stages of big tournament)
Report onlooker May 16, 2021 4:47 PM BST
BRACE Yourselves - London.

These Irresponsible Idiots will 'eff everything up for you.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-57133503

'Many more arrests' to follow Rangers crowd trouble

Published3 hours ago

image caption  Thousands of fans marched to George Square after the match

Police Scotland has said "many more arrests will follow" what it described as "disgraceful" scenes as Rangers fans celebrated in Glasgow city centre.

Three police officers were injured and 20 people arrested as crowds were dispersed due to "rising disorder".

Thousands of fans had taken to the streets after Rangers' first Scottish Premiership title win in a decade.

They marched from Ibrox Stadium to George Square on Saturday where flares were set off and missiles thrown.

Police broke up the crowds after about five hours due to "rising disorder"......
Report San Quentin May 16, 2021 10:25 PM BST
3 police officers injured,makes me laugh,injured sore toe ,finger get a grip Totally Pathetic.
Report smirnoff2therescue May 16, 2021 11:12 PM BST
silly quote San Quen - dont think the family of that poor copper at Manure/Liverpool disturbance the otha week wud agree wiv ya sentiments sadly CryCryCry

Re Scotland 78 they actually had a very good chance if you think back to when money didnt truly ruin the game - great squad - probs their best- but they just didnt turn up until far too late
Report smirnoff2therescue May 16, 2021 11:14 PM BST
just as England as one of favs jfs now is laffable LaughLaughLaugh

1st decent team we meet will do us ova LaughLaughLaugh
Report smirnoff2therescue May 16, 2021 11:14 PM BST
#foreurosthatis
Report RothmanMike May 17, 2021 4:15 PM BST
Thought the OP was talking about greyhounds for a moment.
Remember back in the day, 70s I believe, when one of the best owners in the game Cyril Scotland  had runners
trained by Tommy Johnston at Wembley
Had many Open class winners, and when the pair had a favourite out of T1 they were unbeatable.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com