Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
undertaker
25 Apr 21 04:58
| Topic/replies: 235 | Blogger: undertaker's blog
Mine was in 2003, I noticed that Pants and Skidmark were both running in different races at Lingfield, so I had £5 e/w singles and a £5 e/w double.

Pants won at 16/1 and Skidmark was 3rd (Irish pronunciation works well here imo) at 50/1.

The best part of it was, I actually placed the bet over the telephone, and the lady at Sid James tried her best to handle my bet request in a professional manner before collapsing into a helpless fit of the giggles.

So, what was your best ever "coincidence bet"? It doesn't necessarily have to be a winner, so long as it makes for a good story.
Pause Switch to Standard View What was your best ever "coincidence...
Show More
Report geoff m April 25, 2021 7:04 AM BST
Elimay   shares the same name as my grand daughter and ran and won on her birthday 19th Jan 2020.

Only wish the price was a bit better than 4/7.

Wasnt about the money/ price but sharing a special moment as she watched the race with me.
Report undertaker April 25, 2021 7:59 AM BST
A nice story there Geoff. It won't be long until you can take her to the track and teach her to shun 100/30 when 7/2 is available for her selection.
Report driver2 April 25, 2021 8:39 AM BST
Forty odd years ago, I spent a couple of weeks in the South of France on holiday, in a place called Puget, which before I went there I'd never heard of. When I was back at work in Brentford, I walked down to the Canal Bridge to buy a sandwich in the transport caf and as always, popped into the betting shop next door to see what was running. To my amazement, halfway down the sheet for the next race was a horse called Puget, marked up at 8/1, I had to back it and it won. After the race, Ron, the owner of the Caf came in, as he usually did and I said, look at that Ron, I've just come back from holiday from a place called Puget and look what I've just had a tenner on. "Cor phuk me, he said, is there a horse called Bognor running?" As you can imagine, we all burst out laughing and I will forget the moment.
Report geoff m April 25, 2021 9:19 AM BST
Cheers Undertaker . Shes only been once to "see" the mighty Frankel   @ 8 months old Juddmonte.
Report GLASGOWCALLING April 25, 2021 9:41 AM BST
Was watching the snooker last night and looking at today's cards,looked to see my days p/l ... it was £147. Happy (profit).
Report scrabbler April 25, 2021 9:46 AM BST
My wife must have been one of thousands who backed Party Politics in the Grand National as the General Election was the next week. She also won a few quid picking Silver Birch ( because we had one in the front garden ).
Report portmanpark April 25, 2021 9:54 AM BST
Remember a man seriously telling me he had missed a winning yankee in the last 4 races at 1 meeting...he said templegate tipped the first one...tom pepper the 2nd....the third was the sun ratings top rated and the 4th was paper fav....i tried in vain to explain why the tipsters and fav in that order but in fell on deaf ears
Report onlooker April 25, 2021 2:37 PM BST
I can think of more than a few that  - you only ever seem to see  .................. AFTER the race.
Report onlooker April 25, 2021 2:48 PM BST
A Pal of mine races Pigeons ... and he has just been round to my house

2:40 Wetherby  Royal Pigeon Racing Association Handicap

Because of this Thread - Checked for something with a name correlation ............ Nothing doing

They are NEVER there - When you go looking for them.  Happy
Report swiftynifty April 25, 2021 2:53 PM BST
onloooker, if only you knew your breeding.

https://www.eijerkamp.com/en/racing-pigeons-for-sale/70415/cosmos?Rel=R2584
Report Gaze733 April 25, 2021 3:21 PM BST
I liked some horse's name so I backed it and won. I don't remember the name but basically, it meant the horse is super fast and unbeatable and so it was.
Report Gaze733 April 25, 2021 3:22 PM BST
TURBO SPEED from 1985 reminds me of that horse I backed.
Report Gaze733 April 25, 2021 3:23 PM BST
How can people lay horses with turbo in their name? Clown layers.
Report onlooker April 25, 2021 3:55 PM BST
swifty  That is taking it to extremes  ...

- you could search for - something 'For sale' for every horse running. Happy

I actually did check the Names of all the Owners - along with the Sire and Dam of every horse, too.

I think I can live without a 'Pigeon for Sale'  SadHappy
------------

My pal was at Cheltenham, the day Pigeon Island Won the last race at 16/1 - He backed it, of course.

He wasn't born when Sea Pigeon was running, though .....

He would be a millionaire now  .......... if he was 25 years older. Grin
Report barstool April 25, 2021 4:09 PM BST
Back in the days of the Pools coupon my wife did Northampton, Southampton & Wolverhampton on the three draws list.

But a Hampton came up so her draws were down.
Report onlooker April 25, 2021 4:20 PM BST
^ - That sounds like an old Music Hall joke  Grin ...

Today's 'young  uns' - just won't get it!
Report swiftynifty April 25, 2021 4:34 PM BST
If only Baron Samedi was running yesterday would've had a bar on him.
Report Tarooq April 25, 2021 5:14 PM BST
I had been watching some youtube videos involving someone called Jason Genova. He has several nicknames one of which is The Delray Monkey. A horse called The Delray Munky also popped up on the racecard. Went on to win at 9/1. Bet it a few times after that too and had some nice wins.
Report Cork Langer April 25, 2021 5:47 PM BST
Many years ago when I attended the meetings almost daily, I had a dilemma as the wife was away on a girls holiday in Turkey, so I was looking after our three lads who were 6/7 at the time, the August Bank holiday was upon us and I had a horse for Epsom and one for the following day at Ripon, both were ridden by Pat Eddery who was one of the few jockeys I trusted at the time to get the job done.

After thinking about the situation for all of five minutes I plumped for Epsom as we were living in Kent at the time and I didn't much fancy driving to Ripon with three voices asking "are we there yet?" or "I need to pee" every other minute, so we made our way to Epsom by train to enable me to have a few refreshments throughout the afternoon.

Although I had taken gameboys to keep them amused, on entering the stands the lads were given a free kids pack which they were much more interested in, so we found seats with easy access to the bookies and settled down, having told them not to move, I quickly got on as much as I could on National Anthem in the first at a mixture of 6/5, 11/10 and Evens,just over 1,100 in total, it was a Stoute horse and Pat had no problems steering it home. I collected my returns and sat down to enjoy the rest of the afternoon with the lads who had all opened their packs and were doing the various puzzles etc that they contained whilst tucking into the sweets picnic that we had brought with us.

We were chatting in general and one of the lads said to me "Dad, can we go to the beach like the one in the picture", I looked and the oolouring book had a scene of a boy and girl at the seaside, bucket, spades etc", I said we'll see if it is nice tomorrow when we get up.

Continued watching the racing, it was Moet & Chandon Amateur Derby Day, the standard was only average and was thinking of leaving before the last to beat the rush for the station, however the heavens opened and the place went really dark so decided to stay in the stands, looked at the racecard with no intention of having a bet until my eyes saw right at the bottom of the field a horse called "Chaweng Beach" trained by the real Richard Hannon and ridden by a very light Trotter Nicholls, bear in mind now that I have always been a very strict disciplinarian and hadn't had another bet after National Anthem but something was telling me to throw something on it because of what the lads had said.

Rifling through my pockets to see what loose notes and change I had from my various trips to the bar I had just over 40 quid in fives and pound coins, so I went to put it on and had no problem getting 25's although that was win only, I rarely backed each way anyway so it made no difference to me.

Trotter rode a peach of a race to my eyes and came home four lengths clear with me cheering much louder than I had for National Anthem, almost immediately though a stewards was called to everybody's surprise, the bookies were saying it had brushed another when making its run but all were confident it would keep it and thankfully they were all correct.

As the stands were now nearly empty I had to pack all the stuff up and take the lads with me to collect the returns, can't remember who the bookie was but Barry Dennis was next to him as he was telling the lads to make sure Dad treats you with the winnings, to which they said he is taking us to the beach tomorrow, whilst in my head I was thinking of Pat's mount at Ripon the next day.

I did the honourable thing though and took them to Margate the next day, we all had a great time, beach all day, amusements, saveloy and chips all round from Pete's Fish bar and candyfloss, honeycomb and giant dummies on the train home.

And Pat's good thing the next day, Ridge Runner for John Dunlop trailed in fifth at Evens, so I was very happy about the free packs Epsom gave to the kids....!
Report chavman April 25, 2021 7:38 PM BST
thought you were gonna say it was called shirley valentine
Report undertaker April 26, 2021 6:48 AM BST
Driver - I expect Ron the caf owner would have backed Nigel Twiston-Davies' Knowhere last year had it still been running. And if he's still alive (Ron that is).

In other news, any forumites who have been distracted by the other, ahem, attractions of the internet instead of studying form this morning may wish to consider backing Esticky End in the 7.00 Thirsk tonight.
Report undertaker April 26, 2021 6:54 AM BST
FFS, just looked at the 7.30 race and Socks Off is running. Could be an epic double here.
Report lovegod April 26, 2021 6:54 AM BST
Didn't do it but a few years ago there was a first race double that came up, Royal Toss at Lingfield and Spunk at Sandown.
Report undertaker April 26, 2021 7:17 AM BST
Full Toss?

An uplifting tale with a wonderful climax nonetheless.
Report Brian April 26, 2021 8:29 AM BST
I saw this thread but thought I never back coincidence bets. But then I remembered the 1969 Oaks.

The previous night I had slept with a girl (first time) and then on the Saturday we went to the Oaks. I hadn't studied the horses but there was a horse in the big race called Sleeping Partner. I couldn't resist and thankfully, because I was running very short of money, it won.
Report sixtwosix April 26, 2021 8:33 AM BST
I recall , but did not take advantage , of the Tiger Roll and Tiger Woods 80/1 for the Grand National and Masters.
Report brians April 26, 2021 9:32 AM BST
One coincidence bet I missed was at Sedgefield. We had spent all week on Hadrians Wall on holidayand called in at Sedgefield on the way home. First race had 8 runners and I never noticed what turned out to be the winner, Roman History ! At 50/1 .....! Doh !
Report portmanpark April 26, 2021 9:41 AM BST
corklanger...enjoyed reading that...great story.....
Report lovegod April 26, 2021 12:33 PM BST
Undertaker you may be right with Full Toss not Royal Toss.

Yes I think both started slowly and finished well.
Report paulo47 April 26, 2021 12:44 PM BST
Went to NZ for a month in 1987 at the end of march , left a bet for the race .........
Report Lee Ho Fooks April 26, 2021 12:58 PM BST
Quite an undertaking to leave that bet Paolo
Report xmoneyx April 26, 2021 1:16 PM BST
today im looking for a horse

boris is fcuked
Report swiftynifty April 26, 2021 1:41 PM BST
I was looking for Canute Cummings.
Report rufio April 26, 2021 4:44 PM BST
10th of May 2019
Elsie mo fillies stakes at Nottingham
Horse called daddies diva running, my daughter Elsie had been born previous day. Stuck a tenner on it, won easy, if ever a horse was meant to be it was that one.
Report sadlers April 26, 2021 5:58 PM BST
Pretty sure Agnes Haddock won the scoop 6 by just picking out names of that meant something to her.
Report glentoby April 26, 2021 6:00 PM BST
Staffordshire Knot,undertaker...........had won 4 on the bounce.Had nearly been caught by the husband of one of the Regiment returning from exercise in Australia to his MQ which was a mobile home near BHMH Colchester,they returned a few days early,escaped through a small window and nearly decapitated by a washing line.

Went on leave a few days later and the horse Staffordshire Knot was running when popping into Joe Corals in Colchester on the way to the train.

Had £50 @ 9/2 and it won,on £18 per week at the time,the 1st Btn Staffs were on Mersey Road if memory serves,Hyderabad Bks I think.

Dangerous but happy days imvho.
Report The Management April 26, 2021 6:10 PM BST
I backed Embassy to win the Cheveley Park Stakes at Newmarket in 1997 - it reminded me of the time I stormed the Iranian Embassy in my SAS days.

Did I mention that I was in the SAS?
Report glentoby April 26, 2021 6:12 PM BST
You mentioned you troll decent threads TM and have an issue with truth?
Report glentoby April 26, 2021 6:12 PM BST
Btw how many strikes do you have left?
Report The Management April 26, 2021 6:14 PM BST
I probably didn't mention it - I don't like to talk about it.
Report glentoby April 26, 2021 6:14 PM BST
As always asked,prove your trolling as truth?  Should not be hard as the horse actually existed........ditto Karens Star 27/08/1979?
Report sadlers April 26, 2021 6:17 PM BST
Seagram won the grand national which was sponsored by Seagrams,thank god.I was new to gambling then and had layed all the family and friends bets on Auntie Dot and Garrison Savanah and other skinners.Aunie Dot e/w was going to sink me at 66/1 but I had backed Seagram.Ended up making a small profit after nearly having a heart attack watching the race.
Report The Management April 26, 2021 6:18 PM BST
I'll get you a photo of my bet toby - it might be a bit murky - I took it on a box brownie from 40 yards through some black net curtains.

IJF? blah, blah, blah and all that.
Report john92 April 26, 2021 7:58 PM BST
Great story cork langer, I enjoyed that.
Report onlooker April 26, 2021 8:18 PM BST
Why do you have to Feck Up every decent Thread? -  glenGOBy ...

You Total TAWT.
Report glentoby April 26, 2021 9:01 PM BST
Truth hurt you Onlooker or have you never lived a life?
Report Llamedos April 27, 2021 8:29 AM BST
My Grandaughter's name is Freyja so in light of this thread I'll thrown a fiver at it today in the 15.35 at Nottingham
Report Llamedos April 27, 2021 8:35 AM BST
should be the 15.55 Nottingham
Report undertaker April 27, 2021 8:40 AM BST
Good luck Llamedos. I am also on Freyja, as well as La Lune (but not because of their names).
Report MisterGee April 27, 2021 9:43 AM BST
A few years ago we lost our 15 yr old Springer called Archer. I'd organised a trip to Thirsk races scheduled for the next day for us and a group of friends. At the very last minute we decided to go (wife was still distraught but felt we had to go because taxis and tickets were booked in our name). Anyway short story is Proud Archi wins the 5th. 9/1 if memory serves. We were all on it. Plenty of tears flowed after! It's become an expensive trip because the wife still insists on backing it every time it pops up in my tracker!!!
Report Brian April 27, 2021 2:56 PM BST
Nice story MisterGee.
Report SlippyBlue April 27, 2021 3:06 PM BST
Not a coincidence bet as such but in a similar vein. I took my missus to Newmarket one day and after watching the parade she told me to put a fiver each way on Mick Channons Hunting Lion. It duly won @ 50/1 and when I asked why did she pick that one she said "It had the happiest face " !
Report DIFERENT GRAVY 12 April 27, 2021 3:51 PM BST
A few years ago I had a very vivid dream about the number 5. I was in a bookies later that day and there was a horse running called Five Star, it was in the 5th race and by chance was number 5 on the racecard. I put £5 on it and.....it came 5th. Cry
Report Cork Langer April 27, 2021 4:09 PM BST
wd undertaker, did you cover the f/c?
Report undertaker April 27, 2021 4:22 PM BST
Thanks, yes I had a cheeky tenner on the RF at 38 on here. Was having a bad day beforehand, so that's turned things around.
Report Anyska April 29, 2021 9:03 AM BST
conor mcgregors sisters phone call to the dog groomer came up on my timeline this morning, have to get stuck into Some Neck in the 4.50 today now Grin
Report bluebook April 29, 2021 1:15 PM BST
It isn't really coincidence, but I do find myself sometimes merely eyeballing a race's runners and immediately latching on to a runner for no logical reason. I then study the said race, come up with a rational selection, watch it lose, and the first horse I eyeballed win. Plain
Report donb April 29, 2021 1:22 PM BST
The winner of the national.  My daughter asked me to pick a horse, she is 30 so I picked number 30 to win.  Go figure.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com