Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Gordon63
11 Apr 21 21:36
| Topic/replies: 3,020 | Blogger: Gordon63's blog
on the wonderful Rachael
Pause Switch to Standard View could a kind member please post the...
Show More
Report leif April 11, 2021 10:38 PM BST
aye and the ruby v ap mccoy 'mismatch' article please/
Report windsor knot April 11, 2021 11:50 PM BST
just in case someone fails to post up the down article let me give you a few insights .....'rattling good company ' ....'i've had many years of the finest irish hospitality ' ....' been in  such wonderful company with a glass of chablis ' ....' she is charming but made of steel like the best of ...' ...' cheltenham of course is where ...' ....'ruby does not suffer fools , apart from me ' ....' what light at the end of a truly wretched year ' .....etc , etc ....
Report lead on April 12, 2021 7:03 AM BST
Ah...wonderful stuff,Windsor...brought a tear to this jaded old eye...quite like to read fatboy Jennings piece as well
Report blackbarn April 12, 2021 9:30 AM BST
Yer tiz!!!

UPDATED 7:52PM, APR 11 2021

This was the Grand National where everyone won.

In July 1789, 50 years before Lottery won the first Grand National, the French revolutionaries stormed the Bastille. In Britain the radical Whig politician Charles James Fox pronounced: "How much the greatest event that ever happened in the world! And how much the best!"

If you stick "racing" in front of "the world" you have Saturday's tectonic-plate shifter of a National in a glorious nutshell.

Remember that public image of racing? That fuddy-duddy, over-toffed, old-fashioned sport with its trilbies and folk talking a foreign language out of the corners of their mouths?

Well on Saturday Rachael Blackmore put a huge amount of that garbage in the bin when landing our greatest race watched by a handful of folk on course but witnessed by millions around the world.

That I should be alive to see the moment a woman won the Grand National is one of the greatest and most unalloyed joys of a racing life that dates to 1961 when I had my first bet in the race at the ripe old age of five on Nicolaus Silver.

This time I craved victory for two of my favourite people – Patrick Mullins on Burrows Saint and Ted Walsh, long a wise mentor, with Any Second Now, who got the sort of mugging in the race that most magistrates would send on to the crown court.

But to those two friends I apologise because from four out I was roaring on Rachael, who had her first Cheltenham ride in 2017, was champion jockey there last month and has now conquered the world's most famous race. I shed joyful tears at the sheer thrill of it.

We make much these days about women's football, rugby and cricket – all very laudable and none of it bad.

But Blackmore cuts it on equal terms. She rode her fellow pros to sleep at Cheltenham and is simply one of the finest jockeys I've seen. She reminds me of Ruby Walsh – although less grey or grumpy.

Out on course she is ruthless – part piranha and part striking cobra. Race-riding is not about steering the best horse, it's about shutting others in, half-lengthing them at fences, giving one a timely bump and denying them the position they want or desperately need at crucial moments. She is a mistress of those dark arts.

Yesterday I rang Patrick Mullins – lodger in the Blackmore house – as he was driving the troops to the ferry home with all in flying form after an evening of champagne and takeaway pizza. He said: "Now we have to listen to her all the way home telling us how she won the National."

Wrong Patrick, you will have to listen to it for the rest of your days and you will not tire of it because it will be done with the self-effacing grace that is this remarkable woman's hallmark.

And a quick chat with Rachael was a privilege.

And what of Henry de Broomstick, sweeper of all before him at Cheltenham who did not merely saddle the winner but the 100-1 chance Balko Des Flos in second. What will he do next? Represent Ireland in the Eurovision Song Contest or be elected Taioseach for a new party, Fianna Never Fail?

Henry de Bromhead: has had a remarkable season
Henry de Bromhead: has had a remarkable season
Edward Whitaker (racingpost.com/photos)
In his youth he had the misfortune of spending two years at Sir Mark Prescott's, an SAS training camp for would-be trainers. Perhaps as a result of being shouted at for months he decided he wanted to go into the world of bloodstock, but Tatts' loss has been our incalculable gain.

He once described Blackmore as a "ten-year overnight sensation", but added: "I'm so lucky to have her. I didn't give her the job, she rode her way into it. Perhaps she will become a prima donna."

Not before I make my first million as a male model she won't.

Saturday's heroes enjoy a professional alliance that is an utter joy and this season De Bromhead has elevated himself to another level with the holy trinity at Cheltenham and now the first two at Aintree. There is a ridiculous, in-vogue expression "you couldn't make it up"; no need to make anything up – it's in the book indelibly and for all time.

Blackmore has a degree in equine science. De Bromhead has a masters in being a total gentleman.

At Cheltenham the greenwash of 23 winners to five was a national humiliation. That Britain could muster just one horse home in the first 11 finishers was a National humiliation. I recall the days when the Irish could not muster ten runners at the meeting.

There have been many female pathfinders on the road to this moment, Classic-winning trainers who had to trade under male names, Florence Nagle and others who fought a hidebound establishment for women to have a licence to train, and the likes of Nina Carberry and Katie Walsh who blazed the trail against prejudice and a lifetime of being patronised.

Well racing can hold up its head this fine April weekend and shout from the rooftops that we are ahead of the social curve. Our women are equals in every sense and deed and I write in salute and all humility that I am proud to be a peripheral figure in a truly modern sport with lessons to teach the world.

Rejoice my friends, rejoice.
Report blackbarn April 12, 2021 9:33 AM BST
and today's wine tip - Chablis is what you give people who think they don't like Chardonnay. Wink
Report 1st time poster April 12, 2021 9:42 AM BST
to be be honest ive never noticed rachel been ruthless,cunning,tactical in her race riding ,she rides alot of point and shoot winners imo,about as far away from walsh as you can get imo
in walsh,s pump with nichols when they were winning handicapsvat the festivalhe used to be out the back going round the inner producing them at or after the last,alaho,honeysuckle,sir galahad,bob all sent for home before the straight
Report Gordon63 April 12, 2021 10:23 AM BST
thanks blackbarn - a typical Alistair piece, none the worse for that. If anything Rachael kicking on BEFORE the last is an upgrade on Ruby who far too often would be reliant on a good jump at the last - but their records do not bear comparison, yet!!  I bow to no one in my admiration for Rachael (as my small racing crowd will attest) but this shouldn't be allowed to usurp the unbelievable achievements of Henry de Bromhead this year, it's been a season the likes of which Aiden O'Brien would be proud!

my view on the pundits - ruby already giving an insight and IMO an honesty sadly lacking from the majority of ex jocks, ap suffers because he's basically miserable doing anything other than riding winners, watching 'being AP' should have convinced everybody of that, still I'd rather ap than fitz, luke, megan, lizzie. I hear good things about george baker but I don't bet AW and he's usually on kempton/chelmsford duties. jane mangan is the best over in ireland
Report workrider April 12, 2021 10:37 AM BST
Blackbarn thanks, yes a nice piece,1st time if you get the chance pop over to Thurles and watch her in action , its were I first noticed her , coming from a long way back and weaving her way through the pack to win a neck...She is the complete jockey and for a guy who used to say Women jockeys were useless that's a big change...
Report Ramruma April 12, 2021 11:28 AM BST
Alastair Down's piece is all right but perhaps a celebratory drink might have been taken, or perhaps it had been said before after Rachael was top jockey at Cheltenham.

The best piece on the National is on the next page, by Patrick Mullins. It annoyed me when the Post signed up yet another celebrity columnist but Mullins, surprisingly, is actually good.

Of course, I'll look bloody silly if it turns out his column is ghostwritten by A Down after a brief phone call.
Report workrider April 12, 2021 11:30 AM BST
Ramruma...Ghost written...Laugh..
Report howard April 12, 2021 12:07 PM BST
now post his piece on the mudlark national ( 2001 ? )
Report acey deucy April 12, 2021 1:00 PM BST
I do miss Alistaiee Down the Man had a real passion for the game,he wasn't to to everybodys taste i know but i was a big fan.
Report acey deucy April 12, 2021 1:00 PM BST
Aye Alistair even.Grin
Report SlippyBlue April 13, 2021 6:42 AM BST
Each to their own of course but the 'waxing lyrical'prose by Down on horse racing leaves me stone cold.
Report Ramruma April 13, 2021 7:45 AM BST
The Mullins column has been moved to the free section of the Racing Post site.
https://www.racingpost.com/news/grand-national/i-thought-i-could-win-the-national-but-in-five-strides-it-all-went-up-in-smoke/484226

Read it and tell me Patrick is not the best writer since Shakespeare invented iambic pentameter and Ruby did that walk with Lydia.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves April 13, 2021 9:41 AM BST
A terrific read, Ramruna.

(And confirmation that Cloth Cap really does have a wind problem.)
Report top2rated April 13, 2021 10:33 AM BST
howard said:  "now post his piece on the mudlark national ( 2001 ? )"

Follow the link below...

shorturl.at/fszIK
Report howard April 13, 2021 12:41 PM BST
cheers. Remember he thought it was the end of the public's love of the race. Not quite the race it was and other things on tv/ to bet on. Nowt to do with mud/few finishers imo.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com