Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
GEORGE.B
10 Apr 21 16:58
| Topic/replies: 49,504 | Blogger: GEORGE.B's blog
The trophy presentation, if you were waiting for Rachael to be celebrated and announced to the podium as the first woman to ride the National winner, well you were in for a disappointment!

Instead, she was described as "this person", and while factually correct when Rishi said "her first victory" in the race, he didn't seem too keen to introduce Rachel as the FIRST WOMAN to win the race!
Pause Switch to Standard View Did Rishi go all 'woke' on us ?
Show More
Report liberator of the oppressed April 10, 2021 6:03 PM BST
Much prefer Chappers like chalk and cheese.
Report onlooker April 10, 2021 6:07 PM BST
"like chalk and cheese"

Some Freudian Slip ..... or - deliberate faux pas ?  Happy
Report antony_27 April 10, 2021 6:15 PM BST
Just waiting on a jockey of 'ethnic minority' winning the race now and that will keep everyone happy
Report onlooker April 10, 2021 6:31 PM BST
Well - It will keep Rishi and Josh Alphalpha happy.
Report fife April 10, 2021 7:00 PM BST
More to the point it will make a few on here unhappy.
Report leif April 10, 2021 7:09 PM BST
Does she/they identify as non-binary and therefore reluctant to be introduced as she/woman etc?
Report GEORGE.B April 10, 2021 7:18 PM BST
To be fair, Rachael did say:

I don't feel male or female right now, I don't even feel human!

So not sure who or what she was identifying as.
Report leif April 10, 2021 7:30 PM BST
It's Summat presenters will need to familiarise themselves with as 'gender identity' becomes more fluid in nature.

There are people who may identify as female one day and male the next. Hence they don't identify as male or female and prefer other terms.

I'm of an 'advanced' age let us say so it's a new concept for me to understand but that's how it is now.

Not saying that's the case in this particular instance and quite frankly who cares as RB is an unbelievable jockey and riding at the top of the profession.
Report spyker April 10, 2021 7:49 PM BST
So he's woke for not highlighting she was the first woman - doesn't that make him the opposite of woke? Or does 'woke' now mean everything that isn't racist/sexist etc to racists and sexists etc?
Report Magic__Daps April 10, 2021 7:58 PM BST
Ah the good old undertones of "you're a sexist/racist post".

In the 'woke' World I doubt you can call people a man or a woman nowadays, you may offend a tiny minority - I mean how offensive is it to look at a woman and think it's a woman, and maybe she would like to be called a woman, rather than "this person"? Hence why he went down the ridiculous "this person" - which is the pathetic woke way.
Report Magic__Daps April 10, 2021 7:59 PM BST
*Ah the good old undertones of "you're a sexist/racist post", without actually calling someone it.
Report workrider April 10, 2021 8:00 PM BST
It seems he can't tell the difference so goes the safe route...Laugh
Report GEORGE.B April 10, 2021 8:01 PM BST
I know what you mean, spyker, but watch this Sky News Australia clip about what was alleged to have been proposed by Australia's top university:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D57uBp7KbQc
Report MJK April 10, 2021 8:50 PM BST
Chamberlain keeps saying we have to stop saying lady jockey...yet keeps saying it, for a long time now.
Report onlooker April 10, 2021 8:56 PM BST
^   -  I thought he said ...

"Peace in our time"
Report leif April 10, 2021 9:04 PM BST
fast coming the time when jockeys will be just described as jockeys with no gender attachment.

serves a dual purpose of avoiding any derogatory connotation to one specific gender and avoids categorising those who wish not to be fixed to one gender.

Similarly it has to apply to the label 'male jockey' as it may not apply as above.

this is how it will be Plain
Report Magic__Daps April 10, 2021 10:54 PM BST
What is derogatory about calling a woman a woman, or a lady a lady? How patronising does "this person" sound? Unless someone specifically asks to be called by something else then they should be addressed by what they are (the worst thing is that it seems to be others that are offended on behalf of the person, who doesn't find the word derogatory).

This World is going nuts about a tiny minority of people, it really is bizarre. There really are more worrying things going on in the World imo.
Report GEORGE.B April 10, 2021 11:25 PM BST
Hmmm, so along these lines, history needs to be rewritten...

Junko Tabei wasn't the first woman to scale Everest, she was just the xth-numbered person to achieve it

Gertrude Ederle wasn't the first woman to swim the English Channel, she was just the xth-numbered person to swim it.

Charlotte Brew wasn't the first woman to complete the Grand National course, she just happened to be the x000th jockey to do it

etc...
Report GEORGE.B April 11, 2021 12:12 AM BST
* The fact checkers have been on to me: Charlotte Brew was the first woman to ride in the race, Geraldine Rees was the first woman to complete the course.

I've just sacked my research assistant!
Report lead on April 11, 2021 8:33 AM BST
ITV have been referring all week to women riding in the National with pieces featuring Charlotte Brew referencing Ginger's comments and a piece by Katie Walsh on the subject...then when the dream is realised what do we get?...Rishi stumbling over his "this person"..he could have even said this jockey but he's not bright enough to think of that...if any proof were needed that the clueless Rishi is there neither for his interviewing or presenting skills or his racing knowledge but purely because he looks like Rishi!
Report saddo April 11, 2021 8:55 AM BST
Rishi sounded very awkward and it put a bit of a dampener on the presentation. Unfortunate that he chose such an occasion to play the pronoun game for the first time.
Report posy April 11, 2021 9:44 AM BST
Wasn't Rishi the moron who wanted the jockeys to bend the knee similar to footballers. When the sport totally ignored him he dropped it and his dream of becoming racing's political equivalent of Hamilton evaporated.
He is effing useless at his job ;quite why itv have recruited him is beyond my understanding.
Report Cider April 11, 2021 10:09 AM BST
Rishi has improved a lot imo as an anchor in general. It was disappointing that he joined the b l m gifting when the opportunity arose. 

These are the kind of traps that people who play identity politics can lay for themselves. A situation where keeping one section of twatter stalkers happy might disappoint another set. End up sounding a bit stupid and not satisfying anyone.
Report Pilsudski April 11, 2021 10:26 AM BST
Just as well Sam Smith wasn’t anywhere near the podium.
Report Magic__Daps April 11, 2021 12:10 PM BST
"quite why itv have recruited him is beyond my understanding"

Ummmmmm....
Report lead on April 11, 2021 1:00 PM BST
Crawlers on twitter telling him he's done a great job and what an accomplished presenter he's become...he seems to believe it himself,lapping it all up..#noshame!
Report workrider April 11, 2021 1:09 PM BST
Lead On, that's exactly what they do , they are well marshalled and are always ready to go en masse fingers at the ready to make their point . Straight people are way behind when it comes to social media and getting their point across ...
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com