Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Ibrahima Sonko
10 Apr 21 16:26
| Topic/replies: 76,365 | Blogger: Ibrahima Sonko's blog
What a year. Love
Pause Switch to Standard View Sir Rachel Blackmore
Show More
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! April 10, 2021 5:28 PM BST
DAME

Actually

Laugh
Report casemoney April 10, 2021 5:29 PM BST
Incredible
Report handtorofe April 10, 2021 5:31 PM BST
Well deserved a class rider
Report Ibrahima Sonko April 10, 2021 5:32 PM BST
BBC will be loving it for a change.
Report 1st time poster April 10, 2021 5:33 PM BST
she could have been holding racings triple crown
Report tictacman1 April 10, 2021 5:34 PM BST
Wow....Some rider....Take a Bow....Must go close for BBC Spoty
Report EastLower Gooner April 10, 2021 5:35 PM BST
She excels at judging pace imo probably the best over jumps in that regard.

I mean compare her to that moron on Shan Blue at Cheltenham...see what I mean.

Couldn’t believe Balko got so close lol didn’t think he had it in him to be that much of a threat...good on him. Pat down the back and extra oats tonight.
Report johnnythebull April 10, 2021 5:35 PM BST
shame really there wasn't the usual huge crowd to roar home the history maker
Report CustomCut April 10, 2021 5:38 PM BST
De Bromhead really deserves the credit. Wins the 4 biggest races of the season with a 1-2 in the 2 biggest ones.
Report elisjohn April 10, 2021 5:38 PM BST
fsake not in spoty list,
Report maleuk01. April 10, 2021 5:41 PM BST
Top top jockey

would be a deserving winner of sports personnality
Report punchestown April 10, 2021 5:44 PM BST
Great personality and fantastic ambassador for the game.

Outstanding jockey.
Report sixtwosix April 10, 2021 5:46 PM BST
A magnificent jockey and wonderful for the sport.

Too think one decision (presuming the race went similar) away from winning the Gold Cup , Grand National and Champion Hurdle.

Has that treble been done in a year before ?
Report Ramruma April 10, 2021 5:47 PM BST
Sir Rachael would be in the overseas SPotY section and I doubt there are prices for that.
Report A_T April 10, 2021 5:52 PM BST
she can't be as strong as the men so she's obviously got a real knack with horses and racing them - it's not as if her winners are outliers
Report Ramruma April 10, 2021 6:00 PM BST
Strength is vastly overrated imo. It's not just the women: look at the ages of the better male jockeys.
Report punchestown April 10, 2021 6:04 PM BST
She is able to eke out that little bit extra on everything she rides,she's absolutely fearless in a race and I've seen her go through gaps that many a male jockey would baulk at.
Report casemoney April 10, 2021 6:07 PM BST
Jump at the last was superb Singed sealed delivered .
Report LoyalHoncho April 10, 2021 6:10 PM BST
I wonder if every one of those forumites who have attacked and maligned her on here about a recent "unseated" are now embarassed and feeling a bit sheepish?  Somehow I doubt it but they should be.
Apologies accepted here on behalf of one of the great jockeys!
Report punchestown April 10, 2021 6:11 PM BST
I wonder if every one of those forumites who have attacked and maligned her on here about a recent "unseated" are now embarassed and feeling a bit sheepish?  Somehow I doubt it but they should be.
Apologies accepted here on behalf of one of the great jockeys!

-------------------------

Nobody is perfect and that wouldn't have been her finest moment,I'm sure even she'd agree.
Report LoyalHoncho April 10, 2021 6:16 PM BST
I agree too but s hit happens.  Ask Dick Francis, ask Dick Pitman, ask Ruby Walsh, etc:  AP reminds us all the time that as well as riding 4,000 winners he also rode 10,000 losers.  No-one EVER gets it right all of the time.  She is a brilliant jockey, no doubt about that at all and anyone who knocks her on one error is basically just bitter about the attention her brilliance is getting.
Report jinxy April 10, 2021 6:52 PM BST
loyalHoncho .... you are on the wrong forum Confused
Report A_T April 10, 2021 7:31 PM BST
given that NH is supposed to be the most physically demanding of the codes it's strange she's the first real top jockey to be a woman. wonder why there haven't been any before?
Report dukeofpuke April 10, 2021 9:27 PM BST
Maybe women of child bearing age who want to start a family dont fancy falling off a horse getting trampled on and therefore losing that chance
Report stewarty b April 10, 2021 9:33 PM BST
ImSoLuckyLucky!
Date Joined: 31 Dec 04
Add contact | Send message
10 Apr 21 16:28Joined: 31 Dec 04 | Topic/replies: 10,226 | Blogger: ImSoLuckyLucky!'s blog
DAME

Actually

In all seriousness on has to ask oneself who as more talent. Blackmore or Geldof...
Laugh
Report stewarty b April 10, 2021 9:36 PM BST
Tat smiley ended up in the wrong place.
Report TheBetterBettor April 11, 2021 12:09 AM BST
They've done it AGAIN......

Report Ibrahima Sonko April 11, 2021 12:17 AM BST
For those who decided to look beyond Rachael Blackmore in the Randox Grand National, thinking she surely could not top what she achieved at Cheltenham — it was time to rip up their tickets.

As much as Blackmore does not like talking about the barriers she is currently smashing down in National Hunt racing, they simply cannot be ignored.

Many thought that being crowned leading jockey at the pre-eminent Festival in the Cotswolds had to be the ceiling of an incredible season, but at Aintree there was even more to come.

As soon as it became apparent a few weeks ago that Minella Times — trained by her close ally Henry de Bromhead — was going to be her National mount, his price began to collapse.

Sent off a well-fancied 11-1 chance, there was no doubt who carried the ‘housewives’ favourite’ tag into the race this year.

Just about the only thing Blackmore got wrong at Cheltenham, though, was her choice of what to ride in the Gold Cup when she plumped for A Plus Tard over another Minella, Minella Indo.

Just as happened last month, De Bromhead runners finished first and second in the big race — but there was surely a penny or two for Blackmore’s thoughts at the second-last when she looked across and saw Aidan Coleman travelling ominously well on Balko Des Flos.

Blackmore had been unseated from the 2018 Ryanair winner in the cross-country chase at Cheltenham — and despite his 100-1 odds, she told everyone who would listen that he would outrun those.

She even got that right.

Thankfully for her, and no doubt the organisers, she was nonetheless on the right one this time as Minella Times stayed on powerfully to win by six and a half lengths.

“I am so lucky to be riding these horses for Henry. This is so massive. I had such a beautiful passage around,” said Blackmore.

“Minella Times jumped fantastically and didn’t miss a beat anywhere. I couldn’t believe it, jumping the second-last — I don’t know, it’s just incredible.

“When I hit the rail and I heard I was four lengths in front, I knew he was going to gallop to the line, but we all know what can happen on the run-in here. When I crossed the line, I don’t know how I felt — it’s incredible.”

She added: “This is the Aintree Grand National. I’m completely blown away.

“I’m so lucky to be riding these horses for Henry de Bromhead. He trained a one-two there, which is incredible. That can’t be forgotten in the whole scheme of things.

“It’s great to win it in these colours, too. It’s always a privilege to ride for JP McManus, and to win it for him is unbelievable. They’ve had a tough year, so hopefully this can make things a little easier.

“This is a massive deal for me personally, not the fact I’m a female. The thing that hit me when I crossed the line was that I’d won the National, not that I’m the first female to win the National. I’m just delighted.”

While Blackmore will quite rightly take the plaudits for creating more history, a word or few are due for De Bromhead’s achievements this season as well.

He has saddled the first two home in the Grand National and Gold Cup, as well as winning the Champion Hurdle with Honeysuckle and the Champion Chase with Put The Kettle On.

There is just one more frontier for Blackmore to cross. She is currently 10 winners behind Paul Townend in the race to be Ireland’s champion jockey — with her rival and current title-holder on the sidelines for an indefinite period following a foot injury.

Should she reel him in and become champion, surely any talk of her gender will be set aside for good.

Sir Anthony McCoy certainly knows a thing or two about being champion — and winning the National, partnering Don’t Push It in the same colours in 2010.

McCoy is still closely attached to McManus and he heaped praise on Blackmore and her achievements, saying: “Look it’s a brilliant thing for horse racing that she’s won. She’s an amazing rider and she proved that at Cheltenham, but to win the biggest horse race in the world is great for the sport.

“It’s great for her, but it’s brilliant for the sport as well. It gives every young girl hope of winning the biggest race in the world and winning any race for that matter — she can do it all.

“It’s a brilliant achievement and JP will be delighted. To win this race is very special and for her to do it on one of his horses is
great.”
Report undertaker April 11, 2021 2:27 AM BST
My wife and I had several picks in the National each and didn't get one in the first 6 between us, but we were roaring Rachael home like we'd backed her horse to win thousands. I was wiping tears off my face afterwards, and the interview she gave was just brilliant.

The number of young girls who must have seen that and are now dreaming about a career in racing should not be underestimated either. I actually feel quite positive about the sport's future now.
Report xmoneyx April 11, 2021 11:22 AM BST
she's irish

would never accept a royal damehood
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk April 11, 2021 11:25 AM BST
We need a racy photo-shoot. See what she is made of.
Report sageform April 11, 2021 12:07 PM BST
The main reason why it has taken so long for women to make it as professional riders is the lack of support from owners and trainers. That has changed radically in the last 5 years. It was not just doubts about ability but was more to do with not wanting to be responsible for a serious injury. Same with driving racing cars, joining the army and many other walks of life.
Report differentdrum April 11, 2021 12:17 PM BST
I think it would be dangerous if people start reading too much into a woman winning the Grand National. She was a top jump jockey before yesterday and chances are she is a one-off. I don't see much coming along behind. Yes, Doyle has made an impact on the Flat, but in a relative sense I would have Blackmore well ahead.

The thing I like most is her keep it simple style. You will very rarely see her out the back. For good reason.
Report MC Roller April 12, 2021 8:45 PM BST
I just watched the race again, focusing on the winner. Superb, hardly touched a twig, it was like watching a top class veteran, she made it look effortless.
Report Facts April 12, 2021 9:07 PM BST
ng-cuckoo-monk    11 Apr 21 10:25 
We need a racy photo-shoot. See what she is made of.

Idiot.
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk April 12, 2021 9:15 PM BST
Too easy.
Knew it would be someone like you.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com