Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
ronnie rails
01 Apr 21 13:51
| Topic/replies: 2,570 | Blogger: ronnie rails's blog
at this years ebor a few of the old style bookies will be allowed to use there old syle joints, all we need is  the chalk man the old guy shouting who wants the last book and suntanned Harold with his white gloves and we all will be happy.

have a nice day
regards

Ronnie
Pause Switch to Standard View A bit of York nostalgia
Show More
Report Rigsby April 1, 2021 3:17 PM BST
Ebor festival never been same for me since Prince Monalulu stopped going. Last time I was at York was when Frankel won - will never ever forget it. Remember The Hat and the others. Racing, like life, so much changed. But I suppose each generation says that.
Report geoff m April 1, 2021 4:00 PM BST
Rigsby01 Apr 21 14:17Joined: 01 May 03 | Topic/replies: 149 | Blogger: Rigsby's blog
. Last time I was at York was when Frankel won

Me 2 Rigsby. Took the daughter and grandaughter (9month old) to witness something special. My best ever day @ the races.
Report geoff m April 1, 2021 4:08 PM BST
Rigsby:
Ironically the 1st time I ever went was Magnet Cup day 1974/5 ish  think Bruce Hobbs and 1st and 2nd with Jolly Good and Chil The Kite.

There was a large guy in a suit "tipster" (allegedley from Newmarket) with large cards spread out on the floor and 1 of em was a black and white print of Prince Monolulu.
Report N-east Correspondent April 1, 2021 4:15 PM BST
Loved the Ebor meeting, used to go regularly back in early 80s, Sharpo, Glint of Gold et al

would love to go back but this year appears out of reach atm, getting out of scotland might happen next year
Report Rigsby April 1, 2021 5:24 PM BST
Talking about Magnet Gold Cup day, can someone tell me year Pat Murphy won Coral Sprint on Magnet day and name of horse. I think early 90's. I won a comp in Yorkshire Post to be a guest of John Smiths in their box in County Stand. Another day to remember.
Report driver2 April 1, 2021 5:42 PM BST
The last time I went to York racecourse I learned to walk, I was 1 year old. I'd love to go again.
Report shoodacoodadidnt April 1, 2021 5:48 PM BST
Last time I went to York it was on a stag do. Rained so hard the meeting was abandoned. Jesalu.
Report onlooker April 1, 2021 6:06 PM BST
N-east Correspondent 01 Apr 21 15:15 

would love to go back but this year appears out of reach atm, getting out of scotland might happen next year
------------------

I thought Scotland - were trying to - 'get out of England' ... N-e C  Happy
Report N-east Correspondent April 1, 2021 6:12 PM BST
dont believe everything you hear onlooker - fwiw I love going down south (ooh missus), been plenty of places and quite a few courses and had a warm welcome

that said when the sun shines nothing beats Scotland especially the highlands and islands truly magnificent
Report G Hall April 1, 2021 6:13 PM BST
Nice one Ronnie you hooked a few I'd say
Report onlooker April 1, 2021 6:19 PM BST
Rigsby - Not the Coral Sprint Cup - isn't that run at Haydock?

Coral Sprint Trophy - But that  is run at the York October meeting

Websters Green Label Handicap  - was the Magnet Cup day race ...

Sir Joey  (USA) 5/1J  Steve Drowne5   Pat Murphy   5-9-8
Report G Hall April 1, 2021 6:36 PM BST
I had a decent bet for me at the time in the 1984 John Smiths Magnet Cup on Straight Man I think Dick Herns but not sure. I have been looking for footage of the race, but can't find any, are there any suggestions.
Report ronnie rails April 1, 2021 7:26 PM BST
G Hall
never try ever to reel people in fell for it myself, the guy who posted it on another site I used to bet with his grandad at York.
Richard you got me.

hope you are all well

Ronnie.
Report geoff m April 1, 2021 7:34 PM BST
Strange that 1 G.Hall no footage. You would have thought it would have been part of the ITV 7 and therefore somewhere online you would be able to locate.
Cant remember that 1 Straight Man had to look it up.
Ridden by a true great in Steve Cauthen. imagine he probably made all ??

W.Hern had a number of Magnet CUp Winners  I can recall Bedtime/Bold Pirate and i think Town and COuntry ,but Straight Man was a mystery.
Report Rigsby April 1, 2021 7:39 PM BST
@onlooker
I have found the Sir Joey result, but at that time the horse was trained by RJ Holder. My memory plays tricks, but I think the Coral Sprint used to be on MGC day and sometime later Coral created their own day in October and the big sprint moved to that meeting. My memory also recalls a much bigger price than 5/1, because I woke up on the cricket fields an hour after the last race and hadn't been mugged which was a big relief, and definitely PG Murphy, but as I said my memory plays tricks.
Report Lee Ho Fooks April 1, 2021 7:45 PM BST
Apologies for putting a downer on thread. York's The first day of the York meeting 1975 was when I went to see the mighty Grundy in the flesh for the first (& only) time. I'd been been told it was catching pigeons before it had ever run & I'd followed it throughout its career and finally got to see it on this day. Nothing wagered on the race (no point at those odds) but I felt physically sick as I watched it trail in 4th in the B & H Gold Cup.
Report Rigsby April 1, 2021 7:46 PM BST
@Ronnie
"Richard you got me"
If you meant me, the tic tac guy was known as Harold the Hat.Your mate Ribero would have known him
Report G Hall April 1, 2021 7:57 PM BST
Cheers Geoff I was on the train from Glasgow central to Euston and had the sporting life and weekender and handicap book with me it was on the Thursday before, so had lots of time to study. Great days.... I think
Report ronnie rails April 1, 2021 7:58 PM BST
Rigsby

did Harold end up running a pub in Wakefield.

hope you are well

regards

Ronnie.
Report Rigsby April 1, 2021 8:07 PM BST
Could well have done 'cos he lived in that area to the best of my knowledge
Report Rigsby April 1, 2021 9:53 PM BST
@ onlooker
My apologies, you are correct.
Charlie Brooks had a runner in the MGC and neither he nor the owner were there. My mate was best mates with Charlies’ representative, and we went in the paddock as owners (another big plus for the day).
Seeing the Sir Joey result led me to the MGC card for that year (1994) and confirmed your answer that I was there then.
The wonders of Google
Thank you – high praise

Interestingly, Joe Fanning rode @  7 – 7 in that year’s MGC

@GHall
When I went to the Ebor as a kid with my Dad we went on a steam train called “The Waverley” which to the best of my knowledge went Edinburgh to London via York. The train journey was a big event as a kid, as was the whole day in York.
Report ringlets April 2, 2021 2:48 AM BST
Ronnie.

Harold did run a pub in Crofton,which is just on the edge of Wakefield.Apparantly he was also the Chef
Report ronnie rails April 2, 2021 10:54 AM BST
Ringlets

thank you

the ex bookie from a string of beads did me up like a kipper,
before you ask don't be sorry bet with -----

hope you are well
have a nice Easter

Ronnie.
Report clayfield1 April 2, 2021 12:31 PM BST
Morrey?
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit