Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
jimnast
04 Mar 21 17:21
| Topic/replies: 9,472 | Blogger: jimnast's blog
if there was in running betting back in the 80s which of these two would have hit 1.01 during the race ?
Pause Switch to Standard View shergar or slip anchor ?
Show More
Report jimnast March 4, 2021 6:22 PM GMT
hit 1.01 first that is
Report elise March 4, 2021 6:25 PM GMT
shergar, to an account in an office in nottingham
Report sixtwosix March 4, 2021 6:25 PM GMT
and would they have hit 1.01 quicker than the winner of the dreadful 2020 renewal.
Report jimnast March 4, 2021 6:30 PM GMT
i had already forgotten that one 626
Report sixtwosix March 4, 2021 6:32 PM GMT
I would presume Slip Anchor , he was favourite , a confirmed front runner and his race was over before Shergar even made his move.
Report sixtwosix March 4, 2021 6:33 PM GMT
Wouldn't you have loved to see the in - running betting on the 73 Grand National ...I know I would.
Report jimnast March 4, 2021 6:34 PM GMT
shergar was also favourite and was sent on coming around tattenham corner poor old  john matthias on glint of gold thought he had won the derby until he saw shergar pulling up.
Report jimnast March 4, 2021 6:36 PM GMT
funny i asked last night what price would el gran senor have gone in the derby,regarding the 73 national i would say 1.03 possibly 1.02
Report sixtwosix March 4, 2021 6:39 PM GMT
He was indeed favourite ....but Slip Anchor's race was over by Tattenham Corner ,they never got close.
Report sparrow March 4, 2021 6:40 PM GMT
What price would Mister Baileys have been in 1994 when it was 10 clear rounding Tattenham Corner?
Report jimnast March 4, 2021 6:41 PM GMT
yes thats true i should think the shergar backers got a slight thrill where the slip anchor one didnt.
Report elise March 4, 2021 6:43 PM GMT
i have no idea jim, i just wanted to do the drone thing, sorry
Report jimnast March 4, 2021 6:44 PM GMT
great question sparrow i would say less than 4/1 although he looked a doubtful stayer in the dante
Report jimnast March 4, 2021 6:45 PM GMT
i am droned out along with covid and you know who elise no need to be sorry Wink
Report elise March 4, 2021 6:48 PM GMT
lol, aye, funnily enough i saw the shegar race for the first time in years on that itv4 greatest racehorses thing that keeps getting a repeat, just seemed so long ago
Report jimnast March 4, 2021 6:59 PM GMT
it was so long ago even the world was young thenSad
Report posy March 4, 2021 7:42 PM GMT
Shergar’s Derby doesn’t seem that long ago to me. I was there and it was unpleasantly hot and crowded however Shergar’s performance was almost unbelievable . I remember the Derby’s from the 60s and 70s but Shergar’s is the one that really stands out. It was an Eclipse moment.
Report jimnast March 4, 2021 7:44 PM GMT
i was also there posy what has always stood out in my memory that day was he was applauded down to the start i have only ever seen that twice in flat racing the other been the 2012 champion stakes very happy days Happy
Report sparrow March 4, 2021 7:48 PM GMT
"Today is the day to bet like men" said Richard Baerlein in his Guardian column in which he had advised readers months before to get on at 25/1. I still miss reading that column.
Report sparrow March 4, 2021 7:49 PM GMT
"Now is the time to bet like men," is one of the most celebrated lines in the recent history of English sports writing. Simple, direct, brave, it came from the pen of the sadly departed Richard Baerlein, the Observer's racing correspondent for many years. Baerlein penned it the Sunday before the 1981 derby, then still run on a Wednesday - Shergar's derby.

Baerlein loved the horse from the start and backed it and backed it, in print and with bookmakers. And on the Sunday before a derby, when racing writers have to put their credibility on the line, Baerlein backed Shergar again. The horse may have gone off at odds-on but Baerlein had so much wagered ante-post that he made a large fortune. He named his house Shergar.
Report jimnast March 4, 2021 7:51 PM GMT
remember it like yesterday sparrow he was the best racing journo for the big days,i think shergar went of around 4/5 there was evens and 11/10 on course.
Report sparrow March 4, 2021 7:53 PM GMT
The best of my lifetime, jimnast.
Report jimnast March 4, 2021 8:03 PM GMT
to be honest i could not think of any other i looked forward to reading since.
Report windsor knot March 4, 2021 8:05 PM GMT
great memories of both . my best mate at the time had the biggest bet of his life on slip anchor and we watched it on tv together . he could not believe what he was seeing,  cauthen doing that . he won so much the local corals could not pay him out . lovely. re ; shergar . i was at ascot for the king george . went to the paddock . even with my useless paddock judge eyes i too could not believe what i was seeing . a small , narrow little thing . looked like he was from my local riding school . unbelievable to think he destroyed a deby field .
Report jimnast March 4, 2021 8:08 PM GMT
do you remember the stoute 2yo filly that day at ascot windsor went of shorter than shergar.
Report sparrow March 4, 2021 8:11 PM GMT
I did mean Baerlein as the best of my lifetime as Sea Bird 11 was comfortably the best horse I ever saw.
Report jimnast March 4, 2021 8:13 PM GMT
i knew what you meant sparrow ,sea bird to early for me the first great flat horses i saw was troy/kris
Report windsor knot March 4, 2021 8:16 PM GMT
jimnast , remind me . i bet it was a chievely house job .
Report WhiteHatJon March 4, 2021 8:20 PM GMT
There are 3 pictures/paintings hanging in my house, they are Shergar, Coombs Ditch and Frankel.

Just my own personal view of one's favourite horses.
Report jimnast March 4, 2021 8:21 PM GMT
not cheveley she was called circus ring
Report jimnast March 4, 2021 8:22 PM GMT
a good selection whitehat
Report windsor knot March 4, 2021 8:23 PM GMT
thanks jimnast . lovely day out that was !i'll have another guess , mcalpine tartan ?
Report sixtwosix March 4, 2021 8:24 PM GMT
Pictures you say :

One Man (biggest print)
Dickinson Famous Five.
Ardross
24 Gold Cup winners on cards in a frame.
Frankel
and
a Schweppes calendar from my extensive collection ....currently showing Alverton and Tied Cottage at the the last in the Gold Cup of 1979.
Report jimnast March 4, 2021 8:25 PM GMT
green and brown check

my memory of that day was as a wet behind the ears northerner the find the lady mob got me on the way back to the station.
Report windsor knot March 4, 2021 8:31 PM GMT
well done jimnast , mugged when its only about 100 yrds to the station ! ...i just recall coming home to the north on a train from reading which took hours and most of it was sat on the floor . good old british rail days , warm lager in the buffet !..god , its a dream nowadays .
Report posy March 4, 2021 8:33 PM GMT
I got stung by the find the lady mob outside Catford dogs when I was 16/17 ;learned a lesson ,never tried it again although I was tempted !

Back to Shergar ;imagine the pressure on young Walter.
Report jimnast March 4, 2021 8:34 PM GMT
the old carriages were great,

the find the lady mob are still at it at the royal meeting all those years on.
Report jimnast March 4, 2021 8:36 PM GMT
posy stoute gave him a little telling of for patting him down the neck inside the final furlong when the rest of the field were approaching tattenham corner.
Report posy March 4, 2021 8:39 PM GMT
Shouldn't think Walter was too worried ! All credit to Michael for giving him the ride;can't remember, but assume there was a lot of speculation as to whether he would get the ride.
Report jimnast March 4, 2021 8:41 PM GMT
i was 20 when they got me posy and as many 20 year olds didnt mind a punch up but that day i thought anything could happen here if i kicked of.
Report windsor knot March 4, 2021 8:43 PM GMT
legend was walter got a jaguar 5.2 litre xjs after winning the derby on shergar . he was 18 , 19 / apparently crashed it within weeks , written off .
Report jimnast March 4, 2021 8:43 PM GMT
oh yes posy many thought walter was to young,i liked him always did,he use to stay at the same hotel as me for the 2 york meetings nice lad,such a shameSad
Report jimnast March 4, 2021 8:46 PM GMT
i remember my first arc was 81 and walter rode marwell to win the prix de labbye after timing on a big scale but it paid for the weekend.

yes windsor i think the legend is true
Report posy March 4, 2021 8:47 PM GMT
Wise move jimnast ;you'd have had half a dozen of them on to you if you'd kicked off !

I remember feeling totally gutted on my walk home .
Report sparrow March 4, 2021 8:49 PM GMT
Loved it when he won the Arc on All Along although I hadn't had a bet myself.
Report windsor knot March 4, 2021 8:51 PM GMT
all along . finished last in the arc the year before i think !
Report WhiteHatJon March 4, 2021 8:54 PM GMT
Thank you Jimnast,

Others in contention would be, Ravage Again, Dancing Brave and Sea Pigeon, but there are only so many walls I can get away with !

Lovely thread ?
Report jimnast March 4, 2021 9:02 PM GMT
ravage again whitehat i am afraid i dont recall that horse dancing brave would be in my top 5 favourite flat horses sea pigeon would be in my top one nh horses.
Report sixtwosix March 4, 2021 9:05 PM GMT
Having just read a book on Sea Pigeon and the number of Chester Cup , Pitman's Derby  and others he ran in .....he was way beyond a NH horse......can't see Epantante , Istabraq and co ever getting close to his achievements.
Report elise March 4, 2021 9:05 PM GMT
the dog?
Report elise March 4, 2021 9:06 PM GMT
to white^^
Report jimnast March 4, 2021 9:08 PM GMT
you forgot the ebor 626 anybody who could produce footage of that race would become very wealthy.
Report elise March 4, 2021 9:09 PM GMT
i rem a dog called ravage again that ran up a long winning run, i saw it at hall green i think at some point during that spell
Report sixtwosix March 4, 2021 9:09 PM GMT
I know he won the Ebor , but only ran in it once ... 5 Chester Cups I think .
Report posy March 4, 2021 9:37 PM GMT
I was living in Hong Kong the year Sea Pigeon won the CH....phoned Playboy Bookmakers with whom I had an account and they plugged me into the commentary. There were I think 6 of us crowded around the phone listening having had a Cheltenham dinner and listened to Owen Brannigan singing Blaydon Races at top volume. Happy days.
Report jimnast March 4, 2021 9:40 PM GMT
brilliant posy just brilliant what on earth did the locals think about the blaydon races and i bet you all joined in.
Report posy March 4, 2021 9:48 PM GMT
I'm embarrassed to think about the noise we made in the block and it was repeated on the following two nights too . In those days the locals just had to put up with it.
Report jimnast March 4, 2021 9:52 PM GMT
i should hope they did nothing should interfere with enjoyment of cheltenham,i have never been at home for cheltenham so my neighbours might have to put up with me this year.
Report WhiteHatJon March 5, 2021 9:36 AM GMT
Ravage Again was indeed a greyhound jimnast.

He ran at my local track Swindon to break a racord of consecutives sprint wins I think, I remember having 8 tenners on it and when it missed the break I was breathless, it was amazing how it still won and that is why it gets into my top 5/6.

I was at Ascot on Frankel's last run and also bet the 5 on that day when it missed the break and still won.

Happy days.
Report jimnast March 5, 2021 9:47 AM GMT
my local track has now closed belle vue back in the 80s scarlouge champ ran there the crowd was amazing people came from all over to see him and to cheer him in,just like that day at ascot you refer to.

happy days as you sayHappy
Report WhiteHatJon March 5, 2021 9:55 AM GMT
I remember being in that bar just outside Ascot on Frankel's last run when the message came out the horse might not run because of the ground. The beer fell flat and the gang I was with with fell to the ground thinking we may not see the great horse run.

Every one knows how the story finished, one of my greatest days out.

Great memories.
Report jimnast March 5, 2021 10:00 AM GMT
connections made the decision to run because they were aware of what it meant to everybody to see him live one more time,i know the bar you mean its a restaurant also now,i have never been in before racing as it looks to busy but was in there the saturday night frankie rode his 7 winners back then it was a 2 day meeting so we would stay over,it was a late and great night.
Report penzance March 5, 2021 10:44 AM GMT
top fred,jimnast.
Report jimnast March 5, 2021 10:48 AM GMT
thanks penzance i thought the time had come for horse racing on the horse racing forum.
Report foxy top March 5, 2021 11:44 AM GMT
for sixtosix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-rtZvofLPs
Report Andrew.in.Sweden March 5, 2021 6:00 PM GMT
Posted on here before

I will never forget Slip Anchor.

I thought he was a good thing for the Derby (Dick Whitford of the Sporting life thought it would win by 5L) but i was living/working in Amsterdam/Schiphol at the time so obviously it was difficult to get a bet on, no bookies there, no postal account or internet and i couldn't call home and ask family members to loan me that much for a bet so in the words of Balldrick i hit on a cunning plan (in advance).

I took a flight to Heathrow in the morning, placed £400 at 9/4 in Lads, Baker Street, had lunch, then a return flight in the afternoon. My wife (now an ex) didn't know anything of this, i simply went to work as usual in her mind. A couple of my mates were in on it just in case she called me at work, but she didn't.

If she had found out i would have been gelded twice, once for not telling her and the next for betting £400 on a horse race.

Some may think it was deceitful (up to a point they would be correct) but perhaps punters would understand my predicament, specially considering i thought it was a good thing and 9/4 as well. My ex knew i liked a bet but thought it was the odd 20 and many times it was in those days, so can you imagine me waking up in the morning and telling her i was going to take a day off work, fly to London, bet £400 on a horse race, have lunch and fly back several hours later ............. oh and have a nice day. Laugh

I didn't even know the result until I got home and heard it on the radio.

Apologies for the after-timing, but a true story (and no i can't post my bet).
Report jimnast March 5, 2021 6:10 PM GMT
can you remember the horse who was alongside him in the market andrew ?
Report Andrew.in.Sweden March 5, 2021 6:23 PM GMT
Jimnast,

If you had asked me the day after the race, i would probably have known, but no way today (without Google of course).
Report jimnast March 5, 2021 6:27 PM GMT
won the 2000 guineas
Report Andrew.in.Sweden March 5, 2021 6:33 PM GMT
I googled after you mentioned it (Shadeed) and i wouldn't have been any uwe in a pub quiz on this one.

Ran poorly, so bad in fact Michael Stoute was called before the stewards to explain it. Shocked
Report Andrew.in.Sweden March 5, 2021 6:34 PM GMT
any use in a pub quiz
Report posy March 5, 2021 6:37 PM GMT
That's a cracking story Andrew...did she ever find out ?
Report Andrew.in.Sweden March 5, 2021 6:41 PM GMT
Posy

Never ..... so my 'wedding tackle' stayed intact Laugh
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com