Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
jimnast
04 Mar 21 17:21
| Topic/replies: 9,618 | Blogger: jimnast's blog
if there was in running betting back in the 80s which of these two would have hit 1.01 during the race ?

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 73
By:
jimnast
When: 04 Mar 21 17:22
hit 1.01 first that is
By:
elise
When: 04 Mar 21 17:25
shergar, to an account in an office in nottingham
By:
sixtwosix
When: 04 Mar 21 17:25
and would they have hit 1.01 quicker than the winner of the dreadful 2020 renewal.
By:
jimnast
When: 04 Mar 21 17:30
i had already forgotten that one 626
By:
sixtwosix
When: 04 Mar 21 17:32
I would presume Slip Anchor , he was favourite , a confirmed front runner and his race was over before Shergar even made his move.
By:
sixtwosix
When: 04 Mar 21 17:33
Wouldn't you have loved to see the in - running betting on the 73 Grand National ...I know I would.
By:
jimnast
When: 04 Mar 21 17:34
shergar was also favourite and was sent on coming around tattenham corner poor old  john matthias on glint of gold thought he had won the derby until he saw shergar pulling up.
By:
jimnast
When: 04 Mar 21 17:36
funny i asked last night what price would el gran senor have gone in the derby,regarding the 73 national i would say 1.03 possibly 1.02
By:
sixtwosix
When: 04 Mar 21 17:39
He was indeed favourite ....but Slip Anchor's race was over by Tattenham Corner ,they never got close.
By:
sparrow
When: 04 Mar 21 17:40
What price would Mister Baileys have been in 1994 when it was 10 clear rounding Tattenham Corner?
By:
jimnast
When: 04 Mar 21 17:41
yes thats true i should think the shergar backers got a slight thrill where the slip anchor one didnt.
By:
elise
When: 04 Mar 21 17:43
i have no idea jim, i just wanted to do the drone thing, sorry
By:
jimnast
When: 04 Mar 21 17:44
great question sparrow i would say less than 4/1 although he looked a doubtful stayer in the dante
By:
jimnast
When: 04 Mar 21 17:45
i am droned out along with covid and you know who elise no need to be sorry Wink
By:
elise
When: 04 Mar 21 17:48
lol, aye, funnily enough i saw the shegar race for the first time in years on that itv4 greatest racehorses thing that keeps getting a repeat, just seemed so long ago
By:
jimnast
When: 04 Mar 21 17:59
it was so long ago even the world was young thenSad
By:
posy
When: 04 Mar 21 18:42
Shergar’s Derby doesn’t seem that long ago to me. I was there and it was unpleasantly hot and crowded however Shergar’s performance was almost unbelievable . I remember the Derby’s from the 60s and 70s but Shergar’s is the one that really stands out. It was an Eclipse moment.
By:
jimnast
When: 04 Mar 21 18:44
i was also there posy what has always stood out in my memory that day was he was applauded down to the start i have only ever seen that twice in flat racing the other been the 2012 champion stakes very happy days Happy
By:
sparrow
When: 04 Mar 21 18:48
"Today is the day to bet like men" said Richard Baerlein in his Guardian column in which he had advised readers months before to get on at 25/1. I still miss reading that column.
By:
sparrow
When: 04 Mar 21 18:49
"Now is the time to bet like men," is one of the most celebrated lines in the recent history of English sports writing. Simple, direct, brave, it came from the pen of the sadly departed Richard Baerlein, the Observer's racing correspondent for many years. Baerlein penned it the Sunday before the 1981 derby, then still run on a Wednesday - Shergar's derby.

Baerlein loved the horse from the start and backed it and backed it, in print and with bookmakers. And on the Sunday before a derby, when racing writers have to put their credibility on the line, Baerlein backed Shergar again. The horse may have gone off at odds-on but Baerlein had so much wagered ante-post that he made a large fortune. He named his house Shergar.
By:
jimnast
When: 04 Mar 21 18:51
remember it like yesterday sparrow he was the best racing journo for the big days,i think shergar went of around 4/5 there was evens and 11/10 on course.
By:
sparrow
When: 04 Mar 21 18:53
The best of my lifetime, jimnast.
By:
jimnast
When: 04 Mar 21 19:03
to be honest i could not think of any other i looked forward to reading since.
By:
windsor knot
When: 04 Mar 21 19:05
great memories of both . my best mate at the time had the biggest bet of his life on slip anchor and we watched it on tv together . he could not believe what he was seeing,  cauthen doing that . he won so much the local corals could not pay him out . lovely. re ; shergar . i was at ascot for the king george . went to the paddock . even with my useless paddock judge eyes i too could not believe what i was seeing . a small , narrow little thing . looked like he was from my local riding school . unbelievable to think he destroyed a deby field .
By:
jimnast
When: 04 Mar 21 19:08
do you remember the stoute 2yo filly that day at ascot windsor went of shorter than shergar.
By:
sparrow
When: 04 Mar 21 19:11
I did mean Baerlein as the best of my lifetime as Sea Bird 11 was comfortably the best horse I ever saw.
By:
jimnast
When: 04 Mar 21 19:13
i knew what you meant sparrow ,sea bird to early for me the first great flat horses i saw was troy/kris
By:
windsor knot
When: 04 Mar 21 19:16
jimnast , remind me . i bet it was a chievely house job .
By:
WhiteHatJon
When: 04 Mar 21 19:20
There are 3 pictures/paintings hanging in my house, they are Shergar, Coombs Ditch and Frankel.

Just my own personal view of one's favourite horses.
By:
jimnast
When: 04 Mar 21 19:21
not cheveley she was called circus ring
By:
jimnast
When: 04 Mar 21 19:22
a good selection whitehat
By:
windsor knot
When: 04 Mar 21 19:23
thanks jimnast . lovely day out that was !i'll have another guess , mcalpine tartan ?
By:
sixtwosix
When: 04 Mar 21 19:24
Pictures you say :

One Man (biggest print)
Dickinson Famous Five.
Ardross
24 Gold Cup winners on cards in a frame.
Frankel
and
a Schweppes calendar from my extensive collection ....currently showing Alverton and Tied Cottage at the the last in the Gold Cup of 1979.
By:
jimnast
When: 04 Mar 21 19:25
green and brown check

my memory of that day was as a wet behind the ears northerner the find the lady mob got me on the way back to the station.
By:
windsor knot
When: 04 Mar 21 19:31
well done jimnast , mugged when its only about 100 yrds to the station ! ...i just recall coming home to the north on a train from reading which took hours and most of it was sat on the floor . good old british rail days , warm lager in the buffet !..god , its a dream nowadays .
By:
posy
When: 04 Mar 21 19:33
I got stung by the find the lady mob outside Catford dogs when I was 16/17 ;learned a lesson ,never tried it again although I was tempted !

Back to Shergar ;imagine the pressure on young Walter.
By:
jimnast
When: 04 Mar 21 19:34
the old carriages were great,

the find the lady mob are still at it at the royal meeting all those years on.
By:
jimnast
When: 04 Mar 21 19:36
posy stoute gave him a little telling of for patting him down the neck inside the final furlong when the rest of the field were approaching tattenham corner.
By:
posy
When: 04 Mar 21 19:39
Shouldn't think Walter was too worried ! All credit to Michael for giving him the ride;can't remember, but assume there was a lot of speculation as to whether he would get the ride.
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com