Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
robo
04 Mar 21 14:22
| Topic/replies: 1,513 | Blogger: robo's blog
They are two dreadful riders in all fairness , it’s no wonder nobody else puts them up except their father .
Pause Switch to Standard View Jamie and Joshua Moore
Show More
Report FELTFAIR March 4, 2021 3:45 PM GMT
In the last 14 days Josh Moore has ridden for x4 different trainers and Jamie Moore x7 different trainers.
Report robo March 4, 2021 3:48 PM GMT
In the last 2 days Jamie has thrown away 2 races and josh has thrown away one .
Report foxy top March 4, 2021 3:51 PM GMT
to be fair, he put you right about not getting rides for other trainers and you didn't have an answer so deflected !
Report robo March 4, 2021 4:04 PM GMT
Joshua has got 4 rides in total from every trainer combined in Britain since the 11th February . Maybe feltfairs stat is slightly misleading , but how am I surprised
Report FELTFAIR March 4, 2021 4:26 PM GMT
Straight from the Racing Post website.
Report robo March 4, 2021 6:02 PM GMT
Funny how they only go back 2 weeks , if it was 4 weeks then it would be the same number of rides .
Report blackbarn March 4, 2021 6:12 PM GMT
"it’s no wonder nobody else puts them up except their father"

Joshua Moore has ridden 48 times for 16 trainers, other than GLM, this NH season.  23% of his rides this season are for trainers other than his father.

Are those stats misleading enough for you, Robo??
Report elise March 4, 2021 6:14 PM GMT
Funny how they only go back 2 weeks ... when it shows the last 14 days it tends to do that
Report robo March 4, 2021 6:26 PM GMT
Elise , you cretin , people only use sites which will best suit their argument . It would have been easy to get the results for further back if necessary.
23 % is a pretty paltry percentage black barn , and 48 rides is an even more damning statistic . Thanks for providing the evidence that nobody really uses the useless basstard . Do you know how many hurdles he’s knocked down this season ?, or any idea how many races he’s fired away ?
Report elise March 4, 2021 6:28 PM GMT
i suppose it could have confused you further if it had said fortnight ....
Report blackbarn March 4, 2021 6:37 PM GMT
LaughLaughLaugh  That paltry percentage represents 16 trainers more than your "nobody".
Report robo March 4, 2021 8:50 PM GMT
Blackbarn , 48 outside rides is nobody you absolute scrote .
Report blackbarn March 4, 2021 9:55 PM GMT
Clutching at straws then, RoboLaughLaugh and now reverting to abuse - Why not be a big boy and just admit you made a silly and flawed post.

You said "nobody else puts them up except their father"

The facts state that in Joshua's case 16 "else's" put him up this season 48 times (23% of his total rides).

You can argue he is not very good, and even say that he is "dreadful". These terms are simply a matter of opinion to which you are entitled. You, though backed up your opinion with fluent statistical nonsense.

Cue more abuse presumably.
Report GEORGE.B March 4, 2021 10:04 PM GMT
robo, out of interest, did you read the article about the Moores recently?
Report GEORGE.B March 4, 2021 10:06 PM GMT
* in the RP
Report stewarty b March 4, 2021 10:23 PM GMT
GEORGE,  do you have a link please?
Report onlooker March 4, 2021 10:28 PM GMT
How many more, are there of these Moores.

Mind you - Some of them will soon start be named Queally's - after the new Son-in-Law has settled in.
Report blackbarn March 4, 2021 10:31 PM GMT
Stewarty - I think this is the one George meant. Not sure it will come up ok as from the RP Members only bit..............

https://www.racingpost.com/news/members/cheltenham-countdown/jamies-been-through-a-lot-which-is-why-goshen-at-wincanton-was-so-emotional/475310
Report GEORGE.B March 4, 2021 10:39 PM GMT
stewy, can you access it?

Thanks, blackbarn.
Report stewarty b March 4, 2021 10:42 PM GMT
Thanks blackburn/GEORGE, sadly it's members only. I would like to have read that.
Report GEORGE.B March 4, 2021 10:44 PM GMT
in a nutshell:

The despair of what happened to Goshen faded into insignificance given what happened next.

Jamie's wife, who's in her mid-30s, was diagnosed with breast cancer, for which she has undergone surgery and chemo.

When she was halfway through the chemo course, Jamie broke his back in a fall at Fontwell. So they were both in hospital, and they've got three kids to worry about. Luckily they had family to help out.

So robo is entitled to his opinion, but I doubt they've been worrying too much about outside rides.
Report stewarty b March 4, 2021 10:44 PM GMT
*blackbarn.....doh..
Report stewarty b March 4, 2021 10:48 PM GMT
Thanks for that GEORGE. It was that my thinking without reading the article that would Cue Card ever have won the Gold Cup without the 'help' of Brennan'..
Report Oldgit1 March 4, 2021 11:17 PM GMT
Blackbarn
"Stewarty - I think this is the one George meant. Not sure it will come up ok as from the RP Members only bit..............

https://www.racingpost.com/news/members/cheltenham-countdown/jamies-been-through-a-lot-which-is-why-goshen-at-wincanton-was-so-emotional/475310"

Can you copy and paste it for us non subscribers.
Report GEORGE.B March 4, 2021 11:28 PM GMT
Oldgit, I read it in the paper version on Monday. Hopefully some kind soul who has access may be able to post it for you.
Report Cash Is King March 4, 2021 11:51 PM GMT
'Jamie's been through a lot, which is why Goshen at Wincanton was so emotional'

Lewis Porteous talks to the father-and-son team on the Champion Hurdle trail

There is no disguising the irresistible appeal of a good horse at Gary Moore's Cisswood Stables in West Sussex. The doughty trainer has more than 100 equine athletes to prepare for action yet there is only one anyone wants to talk about at present.

In almost 30 years training, Moore has handled plenty of talented individuals, but he is not shy to tell you that Goshen is something altogether different, a rare talent who in a relatively short space of time has captured the imagination in a way so few manage in an entire career.

There is of course more to this story than just an exceptional second-season hurdler. For as much as Goshen's natural talent sets him apart from the crowd, it was his last-flight mishap with the Triumph Hurdle at his mercy at last season's Cheltenham Festival that brought him significant notoriety.

Fortunately for Gary, his son Jamie, who wound up on the turf rather than on Goshen's back at the landing side of that last hurdle, and his sporting owner Steven Packham, there is plenty to keep that unwanted memory at bay thanks to a devastating return to form at Wincanton just over a week ago – a winning performance that has elevated Goshen to the upper echelons of the Unibet Champion Hurdle betting and sent his trainer's mobile into overdrive.

"My phone hasn't stopped pinging and ringing since Wincanton and I couldn't believe it," says Moore, 64, whose inbox is at capacity with congratulatory messages. "People like to see a good horse, don't they? Steve, who owns him, is a great guy. He's a big builder in Brighton and knows a lot of people and that would have a lot to do with the horse's popularity too."

It was not hard for Goshen's vast fan club to get excited about his performance in the Kingwell Hurdle, which was as brutal as it was beautiful to witness. Such a powerful galloper, he effectively had the race in safe keeping from before the second-last and anyone who kept an eye on him after he had crossed the line 22 lengths in front of the talented Song For Someone in second will have seen he was in no hurry to halt his relentless stampede.

"What pleased me most was that he did it without having to be asked, he just ran," says his trainer. "He was so well on Monday morning after the race and that told me he didn't have a hard race – he came out of it unbelievably well. Seeing him now compared to back in the summer, he's blossoming and just seems better mentally."   

Still only five, Goshen's best days are undoubtedly ahead of him but in the context of this year and the Champion Hurdle, Wincanton was make or break. 

Beaten twice on the Flat in the autumn, expected comebacks in the Elite Hurdle, Coral Hurdle and the Fighting Fifth all fell through.
Instead he headed to Cheltenham in December for his first start over jumps for nine months in the International Hurdle, with his huge reputation ensuring he was sent off the 6-4 favourite.

"It was a complete joke," says Moore of the performance that saw Goshen trail home last of ten. "They'd taken the first two hurdles out, so you're running three-quarters of a mile before you jump anything. We were holding him up, which was a crazy thing to do in my mind.

"For a week or so after that race the Champion Hurdle dream was over because he was beaten at the top of the hill. Whether he wasn't right that day or it was just the way it turned out, it wasn't ideal.

"After that there were no more races because everything was frozen or waterlogged off. We've not had a clear run at anything and even the other day at Wincanton I was worried and couldn't have been confident until he did what he did. I wanted to see it with my own eyes."

It takes some prising out of his trainer but it was between Goshen's disappointing comeback and his return to form in the Kingwell that Moore snr showed what an exceptional horseman he is. He literally took matters into his own hands, taking Goshen 'off piste' to ensure he was in the right place in both body and mind for his comeback.

"I rode him out a little bit, especially when we had the freeze-up," he says. "I just went on a tour around the countryside to give him a change of scenery. He's a great ride so I didn't mind doing it! You couldn't gallop so I had to compensate and make sure he'd done plenty of work without galloping and I just went off on my own with him. I do things like that when I need to do it."

Rather than the manner of Goshen's comeback performance, it was the fact that he was able to give his son Jamie, who was in the saddle, a reason to be positive that meant most to him.     

"Wincanton was emotional for more than one reason," says the trainer. "Not just to see the horse get back on track but to see Jamie get back on track with the horse as well. Deep down I think Cheltenham hurt Jamie more than a lot of people realise and to see them back doing what they do best was why it was emotional.

"Jamie has gone through a lot. There have been other things in his life that people don't know about, with Cheltenham the first nail in the coffin if you like."

If you think your own year has been challenging, listening to the past 12 months of Jamie's life is a lesson in perspective. Quite simply, you would not wish on your worst enemy what he and his wife Lucie have faced.

After hitting the ground in the Triumph last March, the rider inadvertently took a right old kicking as he fell under the hooves of Goshen, but it was nothing compared to the low blow that followed when Lucie was diagnosed with breast cancer.

"She's been phenomenal," says the 36-year-old. "I've been with Lucie since I was 15 and it's the hardest thing I've had to deal with – it broke me.

"That thing at Cheltenham happened and then all of a sudden we had this. Because of Covid things actually worked out well. Normally, she'd have had to wait 90 days but they got it done in two weeks because people weren't going to hospitals. They took the lump out quickly and the lymph nodes and luckily it hadn't spread."

An energy-sapping combination of chemotherapy and radiotherapy followed for his wife, but it is heartwarming to hear from her husband that the treatment has been a success.

"I wouldn't wish it on anyone and just hope to God it will never come back," says Jamie. "It's been very tough for the kids but they've been resilient and hopefully it's all coming good now."

Their nightmare year does not end there, as right in the middle of Lucie's treatment Jamie took a fall at Fontwell from which he did not get up.

"I was lying on the floor and every time I took a breath my sternum was clicking so I knew that was broken and I also knew I'd broken my back. Not for long, maybe for 30 seconds, I had pins and needles everywhere and that scared the life out of me."

As he lay helpless on the turf on August 18, all he could think about was his wife and their three kids Lola, Roxy and Kenny, aged nine, seven and four. His first correspondence with the medics was a plea to take him to the hospital closest to his home so he could ease the burden on his loved ones.

"I knew Lucie was having chemo that day and I just wanted to make sure I went to Brighton hospital," he says. "Chemo treatment is worse than any broken back and lying on the deck the biggest thing that worried me was my kids hearing that both their mum and dad are in hospital today.

"You don't want to do that but luckily Ryan, Hayley and Josh organised it all and picked the kids up straight away. That was a massive help but it was a bad day."

How he returned to race-riding less than three months later is beyond comprehension, but with two metal rods inserted into his back for support he was safe to continue his career.

"I was always coming back," says the hard-as-nails rider when asked if he contemplated calling it quits. "I didn't want to go out on an injury. The doctor said it was going to be 12 weeks but I was doing press-ups after 12 days and riding out after four weeks."

The picture on his phone of the scar that tracks his spine down the length of his back is not for the faint-hearted but it is a damn sight easier to look at than the one of the scan showing his displaced T5 vertebrae, which at the time had gone through the cartilage and was resting far too snugly against his spinal cord, just millimetres away from causing irreversible damage. It feels almost flippant to say knowing he suffered a broken back for the second time in his career, but this is one injury that could have been so much worse.

With the couple back in good health and hoping to move into a new four-bedroom home which is currently under construction at Cisswood, things are thankfully looking decidedly more upbeat than they were six months ago.

Considering how things first started to unravel for the rider at the festival last March, back at Cheltenham 12 months later seems as good a place as any to put a nightmare year to bed for once and for all.

Jamie knows victory on Goshen in the Champion Hurdle can not change the past but it might just make it a little easier to live with.

"The Triumph is always there," he admits. "I feel stupid for what happened but it was off a long stride and he came. I was coming back down on him and it just would have been a mistake at the last, and then he's got his too legs stuck together and it was that bit that threw me forward.

"It was unlucky but I created the problem by firing him too long and I think that was telling me: this is the year you're going to have, and after that everything happened.

"I fell off a horse at Cheltenham and then your wife gets breast cancer, it's not comparable.

"I'm gutted to have missed out on a Grade 1 for Dad, Steve and the horse. I don't think I'll ever get over it completely because it did piss me off that much but it's done and you've got to deal with it and try to move on."

While the festival is not the be-all and end-all for the Moores, there is undoubtedly a shared confidence between father and son before the March 16 showdown.

"No-one believes in him more than me," says Gary. "It killed me when he got beat at Cheltenham the first time because he's a freak. I don't mind if he gets beat fair and square in a Champion Hurdle but I've never seen a horse win like he does. I've never trained one as good as he is.

"He just keeps running and gets more and more powerful – the way he wins his races is just different class really." 

Goshen might have won on the Flat but one thing they agree on is that it is stamina rather than speed that is his deadliest weapon.

Jamie explains: "He's not got a turn of foot but you can kick him in the belly as far out as you want and it doesn't matter. He's unique and his level of capacity is phenomenal – he just keeps running and running."

Considering taking on the likes of Honeysuckle, Epatante and Silver Streak at the festival, he continues: "Obviously it's the Champion Hurdle and it's going to be a hell of a lot different but genuinely, if he runs the race like every other time he's been right, nothing is really worrying me. I've got every bit of respect for the opposition but there's so much belief in the horse just from riding him.

"I certainly believe he can win it but I haven't actually let myself think it because I don't want to get cocky. I've no doubt he has the ability to."

Gary on Jamie . . .
"Jamie is quite a sensitive person. He was in bits at Cheltenham last March and half-blamed himself for it, so we've got to put that past us and move on.

"We've a lot of nice horses here but I think the main reason he came back from his injury was Goshen, and seeing Goshen do well for Jamie is massively important to me.

"It was a horrendous accident at Fontwell and if he'd said to me that's it, it would not have surprised me because that's twice he's broken his back and he doesn't need another fall like that.

"Jamie plays a big part here and I'd definitely like to see him and Josh running the place one day – I just hope they give me a job!" 

Jamie on Gary . . .
"I admire him and my mum, they've both done brilliant and are incredibly tough people. Dad's a proper horseman and sees things in horses. He ripped up the training book with Goshen and did what he thought was right for the horse.

"He doesn't just do it with Goshen, though, all his horses get the same attention and if you went and followed him around the yard for an hour you'd barely keep up with him.

"There are some horses I've seen him win with and I just think, 'How on earth have you won a race with that?'

"He doesn't blow his own trumpet but he's very good at what he does and is the hardest bloke I've ever seen in my life. He's granite."
Report stratfordman March 5, 2021 12:24 AM GMT
Also I think you'll find that both are not really interested in chasing rides as both are very hands on at the Dad's stable and very involved in training etc.
Report stewarty b March 5, 2021 12:25 AM GMT
Many thanks for that write up Cash Is King.
Report blackbarn March 5, 2021 3:08 PM GMT
System working well. Send more money!!  Just the two outside rides today for Josh.   On a serious note, that was a good ride on Editeur Du Gite. !
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com