Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
irishone
03 Mar 21 19:20
| Topic/replies: 46,134 | Blogger: irishone's blog
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/mar/06/sheikh-mohammeds-disgrace-may-begin-end-of-his-horse-racing-love-affair

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 26
By:
irishone
When: 03 Mar 21 19:22
Sheikh Mohammed's disgrace may begin end of his racing love affair
The BHA wouldn’t dare subject the Sheikh to its ‘fit and proper’ person test but he would be far from certain to pass

Princess Haya and Sheikh Mohammed pictured at Royal Ascot.
Greg Wood
Fri 6 Mar 2020
When the British Horseracing Authority drew up its “fit and proper” criteria for prospective racehorse owners it is likely the regulators had gangsters and money-launderers in mind, not foreign heads of state. Nonetheless, in the light of Thursday’s finding by a family court judge that Sheikh Mohammed arranged the abduction and imprisonment of two of his daughters, the implications of point 9(c) in the section headed “Honesty and Integrity” are difficult to avoid.

“The criteria to which the authority will have regard in assessing honesty and integrity,” it says, “include … whether the applicant has been the subject of any adverse finding by a judge in any civil proceedings”. An earlier passage relating to criminal convictions says that “particular consideration will be given to offences of dishonesty, fraud, and those relating to sexual conduct, violence, animal welfare and health and safety”.

Calls for Sheikh Mohammed to face justice over family abduction

Sir Andrew McFarlane’s finding, in a case brought by Sheikh Mohammed’s former wife, Princess Haya, was in a civil court and thus based on the balance of probabilities rather than the stricter criminal test of being beyond reasonable doubt. As things stand right now, however, it seems reasonable to suggest that if the BHA objectively applied its “fit and proper” test to a man who has invested a lot more money into racing and bloodstock than anyone in history, he would be far from certain to pass.

It will not do that, of course. It would not dare. The indecent haste with which Mahmood al-Zarooni was ejected from racing seven years ago, without any meaningful investigation of the concerted doping operation at Godolphin’s Moulton Paddocks stable in Newmarket, suggests much about the regulator’s reluctance to cause offence to the sport’s biggest benefactor. It is an understandable reluctance, too. No individual is bigger than racing itself, so they say – but Sheikh Mohammed comes mighty close.

The scale of Sheikh Mohammed’s investment in the turf since the filly Hatta gave him his first success as an owner at Brighton in June 1977 is beyond description, calculation or even imagination. He is to Newmarket what Nissan is to Sunderland: its biggest employer, both directly and indirectly, and of paramount importance to the local economy.
By:
irishone
When: 03 Mar 21 19:23
Feck me a proper criminal
By:
irishone
When: 03 Mar 21 19:24
A year to the day

Why are his horses still running in the U K ?
By:
workrider
When: 03 Mar 21 19:27
Surely now Gordon will be on to his Solicitors showing them that and arguing how can they possible ban him and not MO...
By:
ZEALOT
When: 04 Mar 21 08:59
I know there has been nothing in the racing post about the shake no but wouldn’t you think the owner of the newspaper would demand it was properly investigated ???

Ha ha ha ha ha ..... the hand that feeds you and all that .  That Bruce Millington always like a pop at someone . Has he mentioned anything ? Ha ha
By:
salmon spray
When: 04 Mar 21 09:08
What will the BHA do if Mo decides to appoint Gordon as one of his private trainers ?
By:
brigust1
When: 04 Mar 21 09:28
You are a clown Irish. This wasn't a criminal court. Haya signed up to a marriage with Mo, then, when she had taken him for all the goodies she could lay her hands on she first started screwing around with her bodyguard and then started claiming what a terrible life she was having. Classy individual. Now she wants all she can get. Get real f f s.
By:
brigust1
When: 04 Mar 21 09:34
I prefer to look at the billions he has invested in our sport and racing in general. There is no doubt it would not be like it is today without his investment. There is always the risk, with very wealthy men, that others will try to get some of what he has got, and in doing so throw mud at the hand that feeds them, it has always been the same throughout history.
By:
Daryl Revok
When: 04 Mar 21 09:40
How much cash do you have to pump into UK racing before you get to kidnap people?
By:
xaar
When: 04 Mar 21 09:47
nobody seems to know but the olde shake had another child years ago a man, who was acting up and shamed the family he returned to dubai and has never been seen again, well that too and many many any different cases, but as long as the English are getting them lovely green notes nobody will say nothing.
By:
saddo
When: 04 Mar 21 09:49
Does he spend nowt in Eire, France and other nations?
By:
dave1357
When: 04 Mar 21 09:53
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism
By:
xaar
When: 04 Mar 21 10:25
thats lovely dave.
By:
saddo
When: 04 Mar 21 10:32
Are you lobbying the Irish and French racing authorities about Mo, or did you just want to get some anti English bile up?
By:
casemoney
When: 04 Mar 21 10:47
Any news on to days CO-VID figures IRISH ?
By:
xaar
When: 04 Mar 21 10:57
saddo England gets 99% of the shakes money its not an anti-English thing, but you sure do have an anti-Irish sentiment when anything goes against you guys
By:
unbiased
When: 04 Mar 21 11:48
Why do some posters suffer the illusion that our racing wouldn't manage without his patronage?
We had a strong racing industry before his arrival on the scene,and would have a strong racing industry if he had to pull out,which,for my part,I would like to see happen.
  Obviously some yards would be hard hit,but that is the same in any business that is top heavy on one customer.
And yes I have been an owner,not flat,just NH,which wouldn't suffer at all if this business comes to a head.Interesting situation!
By:
saddo
When: 04 Mar 21 12:04
xarr, I have no anti Irish sentiment whatsoever myself. I actually don't mind people being anti English, as long as they don't take the piss and live in England.
By:
A_T
When: 04 Mar 21 12:15
Surely now Gordon will be on to his Solicitors showing them that and arguing how can they possible ban him and not MO...

whataboutisms don't usually go down well in court
By:
workrider
When: 05 Mar 21 08:31
Joined: 07 Dec 01 | Topic/replies: 12,304 | Blogger: brigust1's blog
I prefer to look at the billions he has invested in our sport and racing in general. There is no doubt it would not be like it is today without his investment.
Surely the statement of the year so far, ahem, have you seen the State of British racing recently Brigust. All those £3,000 to the winner races and Mo looking to scoop the pot out of the mouths of the starving trainers with his runners everywhere.
By:
HistoricWarwick
When: 05 Mar 21 10:30
There is definitely too much British racing yielding uncompetitive fayre, with small fields for small pots. However, it would be far worse if it wasn't for arabian investment.  In fact there would be hardly any of it at all.

However, re your argument about fit and proper.  In one corner you have a head of state of a middle eastern country with authoritarian rules and governance incomparable to our own and  with no unequivocal evidence that he has or is doing anything illegal. In fact he could argue that he is not answerable to anyone!

In the other corner is a horse racing trainer posing for a picture on a dead racehorse.
By:
impossible123
When: 05 Mar 21 10:45
Anyone who thinks Sheikh Mohammed cares about the horse racing in the UK is barmy, at the very least. Sheikh Mohammed only cares about himself and the equine "privilege" he could solicit eg to rub shoulder with the Queen, to exhibit his wealth. Sheikh Mohammed cannot care less about all the other owners (not even Coolmore). A narcissist never does.

But could he buy prestige and respect throughout the industry? No, possibly the BHA and definitely the Racing Post the non-essential industry daily toilet-roll.

Wealth does not buy respect or success.
By:
HistoricWarwick
When: 05 Mar 21 10:53
I think it is all about the horse - rubbing shoulders with the Queen means nothing. He may well be a narcissist through Western eyes but, looking at Dubai he could also be called a visionary by others.
By:
impossible123
When: 05 Mar 21 11:13
I think Sheikh Mohammed wants to be respected and will buy respect, if he could, only with no question asked manner; Dubai is a success because of the investment "concessions" offered to foreigners at present. How long for? The rest of the Middle East would not have a clue how as they've never have to work - the no status immigrant workers do all the heavy lifting.

But, would the foreigners live in Dubai for good? Absolutely not.
By:
Facts
When: 05 Mar 21 11:35
brigust1

I think you're getting confused between his wife/ marriage and kidnapping of his daughters.
By:
truehoncho
When: 05 Mar 21 12:16
Wealth does not buy respect or success.  ---  I think you'll find it does. Especially when you pay the wages of umpteen families and support a sport the way Shk Mo does. Every year he puts money into the sport and his operation is far from profitable (or ever will be). The BHA (as dumb as they are) will never be that dumb as to risk the livelyhoods of so many people and their sport. His motivation is his business but the money he spends is a godsend to many people.
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com