Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
foxy top
01 Mar 21 14:27
| Topic/replies: 9,685 | Blogger: foxy top's blog
he just sat on it, in France they eat them.
Pause Switch to Standard View get a grip please, he did not KILL...
Show More
Report workrider March 1, 2021 2:29 PM GMT
Foxy Top, a very good point but the hounds on here smell blood . Someone wants him closed down otherwise why release a photo now that they obviously had for years
Report jmdc March 1, 2021 2:34 PM GMT
I thought the horse Morgan died in 2019 wr?
Report hulk23 March 1, 2021 2:36 PM GMT
foxy has set the benchmark for cruelty at killing.  anything below that is acceptable.
Report xmoneyx March 1, 2021 2:37 PM GMT
imagine sitting on your grandad after funeral before burial
Report foxy top March 1, 2021 2:38 PM GMT
not really, it was distasteful but cruel, really ?!
Report yer ma March 1, 2021 2:38 PM GMT
Most people eat cows but farmers do not sit on dead cows grinning.  You can argue about the proportionate punishment but excusing behaviour with silly comparisons is stupid.
Report ALIEN SEX FIEND March 1, 2021 2:38 PM GMT
Bait
Report hello :-) March 1, 2021 2:39 PM GMT
foxy top 01 Mar 21 15:27 
he just sat on it, in France they eat them.

"it" was a very recently deceased horse , no matter your take on racing or animals its life was worth a lot more than to be used as a sofa to pose for pictures
Report layingisthewayforward March 1, 2021 2:39 PM GMT
Although he's had a shocker i have to agree that peoples reactions are over the top.
Report foxy top March 1, 2021 2:40 PM GMT
xmoneyx

I never had the chance, what was it like for you ?!
Report differentdrum March 1, 2021 2:40 PM GMT
Idiot thread.
Report workrider March 1, 2021 2:40 PM GMT
Hulk what exactly do you consider to be cruel about that photo just asking .
Report differentdrum March 1, 2021 2:41 PM GMT
If you can't work that out for yourself I would give up.
Report 1st time poster March 1, 2021 2:41 PM GMT
peoples reactions over the top
possible at least 4 fancied horses not least odds on fav next arkle not been at chelt

biggest story in racing in 20 years
Report foxy top March 1, 2021 2:43 PM GMT
hello :-)

it was waiting to be buried, they sit on live horses so why not dead ones ?!
Report hello :-) March 1, 2021 2:44 PM GMT
theres totally nothing wrong with the pic workrider if you dont care about the passing of one of your own
Report yer ma March 1, 2021 2:44 PM GMT
You obvs know your stuff in the industry WR - its not cruel to the animal but if you follow the narrative (which I do) that his staff love their horses then the lad/lass who did this horse and was probably riding it out a few mins ago....I'd say thats a pretty cruel/callous thing to do.   Personally I think the worse punishment here should be taken by owners - they'll decide if was just a massive prck on this one occasion or more generally.  O'leary's world view isn't the same as most peoples
Report WHOKNOWSTHEBOWLER March 1, 2021 2:45 PM GMT
Unfortunately , people within racing have no perception or understanding of the outside world , because they are on a 24 hour 7 day a week treadmill. Elliot's explanation hasn't helped him one bit. I was distracted by a phonecall" . If he was distracted by a phonecall he would not have been pulling a v-sign/peace sign and posing for the camera. He would have been concentrating on the phone call.
Elliot has always come over as a bit of an uneducated slob, bordering on cha. No surprise the O'Leary's are standing by him, but no way Cheveley Park will keep there horses with him , especially when this is all over the news and tabloid press tomorrow.
Report hello :-) March 1, 2021 2:46 PM GMT
probably out of respect foxy
Report EVILROYSLADE March 1, 2021 2:47 PM GMT
Typical of the society we live in today. They will be hanging GE upside down in the centre of town next, so that imbeciles with pink hair can flog him with twigs! He wasn't exactly stood with his foot on the poor horse with a rifle in his hand, posing for the photoshoot!
Report layingisthewayforward March 1, 2021 2:48 PM GMT
User1st time poster • March 1, 2021 2:41 PM GMT
peoples reactions over the top
possible at least 4 fancied horses not least odds on fav next arkle not been at chelt

biggest story in racing in 20 years.

Im talking about people's reactions to what elliot has done, specifically those calling for a lifetime ban.

The horses you've mentioned will be running at Cheltenham.
Report foxy top March 1, 2021 2:48 PM GMT
Prince Andrew didn't get as much coverage on here as this has, way over the top.
Report hulk23 March 1, 2021 2:50 PM GMT
He wasn't exactly stood with his foot on the poor horse with a rifle in his hand, posing for the photoshoot!

if he had been, guarantee there would still be some on here defending him ...
Report sparrow March 1, 2021 2:50 PM GMT
Prince Andrew Laugh
Report 1st time poster March 1, 2021 2:50 PM GMT
racing been hoisted by its own petard here
absolutely brain dead to try and convince /lie to people that a derby fav at AOB get,s treated the same as some 13 yr old selling plater at a yard in yorkshire/lanc for example
which is what they want you to believe,better to fess up and in like every other form of live theirs good owners/trainers etc and bad ones,
and if you dont you get judged by the bad apples as been the norm
Report layingisthewayforward March 1, 2021 2:51 PM GMT
Biggest racing story for 20 years, behave yourself ffs.
Report WHOKNOWSTHEBOWLER March 1, 2021 2:52 PM GMT
No one is saying he did kill the horse. I think you need to "get a grip" Foxy, if you can't see the greater implications of this , you may be better off commenting on Gaelic Netball.
Report Ghetto Joe March 1, 2021 2:52 PM GMT
I'm sure if he'd have held his hands up and apologised people might be more forgiving but looks like he's employed Cummings as his PR man with his lame excuse

""I was standing over the horse waiting to help with the removal of the body, in the course of which, to my memory I received a call and, without thinking, I sat down to take it. Hearing a shout from one of my team, I gestured to wait until I was finished."

Most A&E departments get more convincing stories removing foreign objects out of people's backsides I'd imagine.
Report sageform March 1, 2021 2:58 PM GMT
Apologies if you are squeamish but the knacker would have put a chain round its legs or neck and winched it into the van. We don't want pictures of that on social media either.
Report foxy top March 1, 2021 2:59 PM GMT
WHOKNOWSTHEBOWLER

no, people like you should get a grip,

YES IT WAS A DISTASTEFUL thing to do but that's all it is,

he did not kill the horse or mistreat it, just mistreated your feelings !
Report workrider March 1, 2021 3:05 PM GMT
Exactly Foxy , its a feelings thing , must feel they have to express them and rightly so if they are offended as I was by the photo ,it was not nice but to get into a possible hanging offence style thread that's seen on here is way over the top. Nobody is condoning him sitting on a dead horse .
Report Vince_Bluett March 1, 2021 3:21 PM GMT
"He did not kill the horse or mistreat it"

Says who? The person who claimed he accidentally sat down on the horse, accidently smiled for the camera and inadvertently made a "Give us two minutes" sign look like a "peace" sign?

Some people think the horse looks to have been in a poor condition just before death.
Report workrider March 1, 2021 3:24 PM GMT
Vince , I'd get that deleted right away , no matter what you think of him hinting that he might have been compliant in the horses death is inviting libel...
Report foxy top March 1, 2021 3:24 PM GMT
Vince_Bluett

quick, get on Twitter and raise your concerns, I am sure they'd be knocking on the door asking you for your insight !
Report jimjoelsdog March 1, 2021 3:27 PM GMT
Regarding the eating of horse meat, do you not think that if Gordon wasn't so fond of potatoes there would be enough room on his plate for a 5 or six slices of sofa?
Report workrider March 1, 2021 3:32 PM GMT
jim, I'm sure he wouldn't get a look in if You were at the table...Laugh
Report Vince_Bluett March 1, 2021 3:34 PM GMT

Mar 1, 2021 -- 9:24AM, foxy top wrote:

Vince_Bluettquick, get on Twitter and raise your concerns, I am sure they'd be knocking on the door asking you for your insight !

I'm not claiming to have any insight. I'm just questioning whether you can be 100% certain that somebody is telling the truth about one matter if you have doubts about whether they were telling the truth about another matter.

Report foxy top March 1, 2021 3:39 PM GMT
that's the beauty of internet nowadays, you don't need my input, you can be judge, jury and executioner all in one by yourself, and that includes every one who uses Twitter and suchlike !
Report stewarts rise March 1, 2021 3:58 PM GMT
I tend to agree with Foxy and Workrider, although this picture is in very bad taste and deeply regrettable, there is nothing to suggest the horse had been mistreated or abused in any way.
Unfortunately the comments made by a lot of people on here are doing the animal rights activists job for them.
I was looking through Colin Tizard website/blog the other day and looked at the reviews, all of them were positive, how well horses were looked after, get the best of everything, loved by the staff etc.
There was just one negative post, saying horses were treated dreadfully etc, I knew before looking that it would be from an animal rights campaigner, and surely enough clicking on her Facebook page there she was with her name and picture and underneath Animal Rights Activist.
Elliott has made an error of judgement, a mistake, don't let them ruin our sport over it.
Report duffy March 1, 2021 4:02 PM GMT
stew,

Your points about the Animal rights activists are correct and that is why your last sentence should have been directed at Elliott himself for doing it and not the people disgusted by it.
Report impossible123 March 1, 2021 4:04 PM GMT
A temporary holiday from racecourses eg a probable ban to Cheltenham, Aintree and Punchestown and a thorough investigation of his stable; seek views from staff and owners.

It was bad, but the horse was already dead. I've seen worse inflicted on horses at the racecourses and media.
Report workrider March 1, 2021 4:13 PM GMT
Well said Impossible and a fair point..
Report greenteethnarrabacktroutmoy March 1, 2021 4:14 PM GMT
greenteethnarrabacktroutmoy 01 Mar 21 17:04 
when he arose from the said horse it would have had chains wrapped around its legs and dragged away and disposed of..no dignity wotsoever..man sits on it and worlds erupted.

saddam,gaddafi,hitler..all ridiculed and disrespected when dead..where was the respect?
Report foxy top March 1, 2021 4:15 PM GMT
wrong account ?!
Report impossible123 March 1, 2021 4:22 PM GMT
Thank goodness emojis were absent. Or was there no mobile phones then? This photo does not reflect well on the owner/user of the mobile it was taken. Very late, and sour grapes aplenty. I hope there was no financial proposition attached prior to release.
Report workrider March 1, 2021 4:26 PM GMT
It will be interesting to see who gave permission for them to be published ,and who took them plus its obvious why they were put on media so near Cheltenham...
Report ease March 1, 2021 4:33 PM GMT
Good point foxy. He didn't kill the horse, wasn't cruel to the horse,it was dead. He's made a stupid mistake and brought racing into disrepute, and yes the photo is repulsive, but the lynch mob  go way over the top whilst happily tucking into their mass produced supermarket meat, for which animals suffer terribly in their millions.
Report N-east Correspondent March 1, 2021 5:04 PM GMT
not everyone ease, havent eaten meat for about 35 years, still have the odd fish supper here and there, normally after pints lol
cut back heavily on dairy produce as there is so many good substitute products around these days
dont miss it and certainly wouldnt go back to my carnivorous youth - just a personal choice nothing more nothing less

however i do get your point to a certain extent re factory farming and abbatoirs
Report truehoncho March 1, 2021 5:10 PM GMT
I think it's about the damage that image does to the sport. It's not really a welfare issue and I'm not sure how much can be done. One thing is for sure, it will be a big piece of ammunition for horse race critics and animal welfare people to fire at the sport for a long time to come. For that reason it needs a firm response.
Report Tiger Tiger March 1, 2021 5:12 PM GMT
They haven't managed to stop the Appleby Horse Fair as yet, now there is a place where real cruelty to animals occurs. Where are the animal rights lot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjmgMLr1zwU
Report truehoncho March 1, 2021 5:17 PM GMT
I agree Tiger. But racing needs to hold itself to a higher standard. A lot of people make a lot of money out of racing and it's image is important. Appleby fair has less to lose.
Report Tiger Tiger March 1, 2021 5:31 PM GMT
I agree truehoncho, the problem these days is that everyone is self righteous and wants to appear to be whiter than white, the incident was disgraceful and punishment will be forthcoming, but it should be taken for what it is and nothing more, the holier than thou brigade should not get their way and have the incident exaggerated and the punishment greater than what it should be.
Report truehoncho March 1, 2021 5:33 PM GMT
I couldn't agree more.
Report 1st time poster March 1, 2021 5:33 PM GMT
its a racing forum full of different opinion,s if you dont like it,you no what to do
Report foxy top March 1, 2021 5:34 PM GMT
true and racing has in the past and will do in future but this case is far from those and has been blown out of all proportion,

it's a distasteful picture printed by someone with a grudge,

had it been put up by Elliott himself, then the uproar would be more understandable !
Report impossible123 March 1, 2021 5:39 PM GMT
"had it been put up by Elliot himself, then the uproar would be more understandable"

If so, even the worst effects of Covid could not match the hiding from the public. Elliot would have been lynched and quartered, possibly fed to the sharks (human kind). Or put in a metal cage in the Sahara Desert and sundry like a plum.
Report truehoncho March 1, 2021 5:46 PM GMT
If I am to be honest, I think it's the beginning of the end for him as a trainer. It doesn't really matter what the BHA or Ireland do I doubt he will be getting many new high profile owners going forward. CP will probably go away quietly and Gigginstown have said they are reducing numbers.
Report foxy top March 1, 2021 5:46 PM GMT
yeah but it still is just a photo of sitting on a dead horse,

now if he had a smoking gun in one hand and a Cuban cigar in his mouth while saluting Heil Hitler then ...
Report Facts March 1, 2021 5:54 PM GMT
"..........I tend to agree with Foxy and Workrider, although this picture is in very bad taste and deeply regrettable, there is nothing to suggest the horse had been mistreated or abused in any way........"

I beg to differ. I think sitting on a dead horse, posing for a photo grinning and giving a peace sign is abuse.
Utterly disrespectful to any animal. Have we really to have total disregard for any animal that was once fed, watered and cared for. Probably loved too by the stable staff who looked after it, groomed it and rode it in work.
And it belongs to the person who bought it. So the stupid pose by Elliot was lacking in any sympathy or empathy with
those who knew the horse.
Report sageform March 1, 2021 5:56 PM GMT
nothing more cruel than keeping dogs in high rise flats imo.
Report foxy top March 1, 2021 5:58 PM GMT
yes it was terrible etc etc but for people to call for him to quit training ?!

the cancel culture is alive and thriving !
Report elise March 1, 2021 5:59 PM GMT
nothing more cruel than keeping dogs in high rise flats imo. ... popping them out of the window to go for a walk?
Report truehoncho March 1, 2021 6:02 PM GMT
I think you may be right Facts. I started off the day pretty much along the lines of Sageform. However as it has gone on the amount of media condemnation from just about everyone leaves him in a tough position. As I said earlier it's not the punishment he will get that will be the biggest problem, it's getting owners to put horses with him in future.
Report 1st time poster March 1, 2021 6:09 PM GMT
just shows the morons jumping on a cancel culture strap line,slogan didnt excist when photo took place and every comment today would have stood 4 years ago,
Report sageform March 1, 2021 6:09 PM GMT
I don't think that losing owners is worse than 20 years in jail though true. I can see which way the wind is blowing though. Its a bit like Black Lives Matter (which they do) where nobody dares to stop plastering it across the TV picture of every football match. No sense of proportion.
Report truehoncho March 1, 2021 6:22 PM GMT
I know Sageform. I just get a feeling that it will be owners that will be his biggest problem from now on. All the big owners these days love their moment on the telly and being 2 minute celebs. I'm not sure they would want to be associated with the drubbing he is getting in media (which may well get regurgitated over the years).
Report duffy March 1, 2021 6:24 PM GMT
Nothing to do with being holier than thou for me in condemning it, I'm far from holier than thou.

I'm already content to accept the deaths of horses on the race track even though that in my heart of hearts I think it's cruel, because I love the game, love betting on it so much I chuck my principals in the bin.

I used to say to people who would condemn it by saying, "they love it", they are treated like kings", but I always thought to myself, if you could explain to a horse the risks involved, how many would say, thanks but no thanks?

Elliott is eroding away some of the excuses I used to rely upon in order to feel better about it, and if that's me imagine what it's done for the real anti mob.
Report impossible123 March 1, 2021 6:29 PM GMT
Has any trainer or owner of a horse here or elsewhere been caught mistreating their horses eg leaving them in a field to fend for themselves; insufficient feeding; no medical attention; etc? If so, what punishment did they get? Ban from training or owning another horse?
Report truehoncho March 1, 2021 6:32 PM GMT
I don't think that has anything to do with it now. It's all about the media circus.
Report Old Brigade March 1, 2021 6:33 PM GMT
Agree. All about woke political correctness. Don't let the facts get in the way of the anti racing bandwagon.
Report hello :-) March 1, 2021 6:35 PM GMT
there is no way back really , he may continue to train but his attitude to his horses is obvious and will follow him

this is now the image associated with gordon elliot racing forever

and anyone with horse with him must see past it , many wont because they are not daft

you either care about your animals or you dont , its not something you forget about for a few minutes

ffs the mans smiling and posing right after one of his horses has died , even if he wasnt sitting on the horse it would still be a unnaceptable image tbh
Report 1st time poster March 1, 2021 6:36 PM GMT
you really dont believe this has anything to do with political correctness do you,if so your a moron
htf can it be political correctness when not a single person including GE has attempted to defend the photoi
Report glentoby March 1, 2021 6:37 PM GMT
Howard Johnson springs to mind re cruelty impossible,cannot be compared though,Elliott was not cruel,just stupid!!!
Report WHOKNOWSTHEBOWLER March 1, 2021 7:33 PM GMT
Foxy = Tool, brain dead!
Report p loiner rhino March 2, 2021 9:28 AM GMT
I guess he will lose his licence for 2 years and his assistant will take over , the real damage will be if owners decide to take their horses away , i guess most will not as they probably have a good relationship with him but cheveley Park i imagine will take theirs away for reputation purposes .
Report p loiner rhino March 2, 2021 9:31 AM GMT
i also guess he will give up his licence in the short term so he can run his festival horses from his own base under someone elses name
Report 1st time poster March 2, 2021 9:46 AM GMT
what if the assistant was taking the photo,you dont seriously think someone in a junior position took that photo
Report p loiner rhino March 2, 2021 9:51 AM GMT
does not matter if they do not find out , plus whoever took could be the person to disclose it , one way or another someone from the stable will take over the licence
Report sageform March 2, 2021 11:12 AM GMT
The person who took and posted the picture should definitely be banned for life from working in racing. He or she is the person who has brought racing into disrepute.
Report geoff m March 2, 2021 11:52 AM GMT
does an assistant trainer have to have passed all training modules to be in a position of??
a) being an assistant
b) taking over
Report Racingqueen March 2, 2021 11:55 AM GMT
imagine sitting on your grandad after funeral before burial

He'd probably have a chuckle
Report elise March 2, 2021 11:57 AM GMT
not if buried at sea like mine
Report p loiner rhino March 2, 2021 12:03 PM GMT

Mar 2, 2021 -- 5:52AM, geoff m wrote:

does an assistant trainer have to have passed all training modules to be in a position of??a) being an assistantb) taking over

Yes i think so on both accounts

Report lord skywalker March 2, 2021 12:42 PM GMT
grinning and a victory sign while sitting on the horse is disrespecful to say the least but a long ban and a big fine should suffice
Report Jb23 March 2, 2021 2:18 PM GMT
If the horse which Charles Byrnes drugged fell and lost its life, or caused another horse to lose theirs. Would there be anywhere near this degree of a witch hunt? I sense not.

The photo is horrendous, yes. But let's keep a vague amount perspective of Elliott's wrongdoings in comparison to others when it comes to the welfare of horses

Davy Russell upper cut a horse on TV!
Report 1st time poster March 2, 2021 2:38 PM GMT
for the whataboutery,s
the pointn your missing the same people who want action now wanted stronger action against osin,byrne,russell etc but at the time you were to bust using some other whataboutery to absolve osin,russel,byrne,sheik mo etc
its a never ending hamster,s wheel of whataboutery to excuse the latest faux pax
Report elise March 2, 2021 2:40 PM GMT
i read it as he is saying keep it in perspective
Report elise March 2, 2021 2:41 PM GMT
and i agree
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com