Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
stewarty b
24 Feb 21 18:48
| Topic/replies: 29,176 | Blogger: stewarty b's blog
each year then come over and make the atmosphere superb. Not this year sadly but do you put a few bob aside for the meeting? I normally do but this is a strange year for me. The money I've set aside I'm lumping on one beast. If it wins, half the winnings will be distributed accordingly  on the rest of the meeting. Anybody got a strategy for next month?
Pause Switch to Standard View Serious question re: Cheltenham. The...
Show More
Report mrcombustible February 24, 2021 8:29 PM GMT
I am sending my Cheltenham money to the Sandy Barclay memorial fund.
Report layingisthewayforward February 24, 2021 8:36 PM GMT
I'll be punting the same as normal, the money I'll save on tickets, travel, accommodation, beer, good etc will just stay in my account.
Report stewarty b February 24, 2021 8:37 PM GMT
I hope it's shared amongst the stable staff.
Report stewarty b February 24, 2021 8:38 PM GMT
*that was to mr com..
Report sageform February 24, 2021 8:40 PM GMT
I don't commit any more money to Cheltenham than any other meeting and since the Irish horses win so many races and I don't really have a clue about Irish form, I bet less than I used to. There are a few exceptions like Honeysuckle who is a big favourite of mine and I will have a decent bet in which ever race she contests. Otherwise you have to pick one or two out of 8-10 Irish runners in the handicaps knowing that they know which one will win (not the favourite) but I don't.
Report stewarty b February 24, 2021 8:45 PM GMT
Been a thorn in the side for a while now sageform. The Irish seem to be 'lightly weighted' in our handicaps. It's just a matter of picking them out.
Report robo February 24, 2021 10:43 PM GMT
It’s more like fully loaded than lightly weighted
Report sageform February 25, 2021 7:57 AM GMT
But who apart from Mullins, Elliott, M O'Leary and JP McMannus know which ones are primed for the day? If a trainer has one horse entered and it has a realistic chance, you know that it is trying, but if they have 5 you have no chance.
Report jimnast February 25, 2021 8:06 AM GMT
sageform do you really believe oleary knows which ones are primed for the day ?
Report sageform February 25, 2021 8:19 AM GMT
If he or his brother don't know then why do they still have horses in training? I accept that he may not know about his runners every day but he is
a big fan of Cheltenham and always turns up himself. There will always be horses that surprise even the trainers and if I was them I would have 2 or 3 primed for each handicap and back them all. Prize money and prestige are the priority of course. I always considered that the entry fee was a 100/1 bet on your horse so why risk any more at 5-10/1 unless you were very confident of winning?
Report jimnast February 25, 2021 8:23 AM GMT
no idea
Report robo February 25, 2021 8:27 AM GMT
Sageform , the o Leary’s won’t know anything more than a normal joe soap . Michael is only into it as a bit of a hobby and his brother Eddie wouldn’t know if he was in Cheltenham or catterick . If you gave him 50 potatoes for his dinner , he’d eat them all , the guy wouldn’t know if he was full or not . As for him knowing what’s going to win , I’d say that’s rather fanciful
Report jimnast February 25, 2021 8:48 AM GMT
if you gave him 50 potatoes for his dinner he eat them all LaughLaughLaugh
Report workrider February 25, 2021 9:21 AM GMT
Sageform, surely a misprint on your behalf when you said if you knew it was trying . Everything is Trying at Cheltenham even the stable cat...Laugh
Report Manoleeds February 25, 2021 9:37 AM GMT

Feb 25, 2021 -- 3:21AM, workrider wrote:

Sageform, surely a misprint on your behalf when you said if you knew it was trying . Everything is Trying at Cheltenham even the stable cat...

Matt Chapman will be very trying.

Report Storm Alert February 25, 2021 9:56 AM GMT
My strategy will remain the same. My largest bets will be on a few G1 races. This year the Queen Mum,Stayers Hurdle and Gold Cup with slightly smaller bets on the Ryanair Air and Champion Hurdle. If anything else stands out nearer the day might bet similar size otherwise bets will be about a 10th of the size in other non graded races races. I have a few ante post bets but often not worth bothering with nowadays, although I have permed three doubles in the three races I mentioned first. I have a nice enhanced double on the Champion Hurdle and Stayers Hurdle.

I have always kept good records of Cheltenham/Aintree and know which races to steer clear of. It's amazing how many short priced favourites are obvious candidates to get beat where as others are obvious winners. Quevega was a standing dish I used to lump onto to setup the the whole meeting for years. The Ryanair (Cathcart) has always been good to me. Sometimes in the big handicap's it is worth backing half a dozen bigger prices on the Betfair Exchange. I've managed huge prices winners on the Coral Cup and was only a short head away from picking up 2k on Wicklow Brave (if only Patrick Mullins had moved to the rail when he had a chance).

We sometimes stay in Ross-On-Wye or Tewkesbury or I have an open house. This year I reckon not travelling or meeting up with mates will save me £500 plus. Ironically I think I will quite enjoy a quieter Cheltenham for a change as plenty of time to get into the racing.
Report kavvie February 25, 2021 9:58 AM GMT
funny about eddie and the brother.. not far from the truth too!!
Report HGS February 25, 2021 10:40 AM GMT
If you gave him 50 potatoes for his dinner , he’d eat them all , the guy wouldn’t know if he was full or not .

LaughLaugh
Report stewarty b February 25, 2021 11:01 AM GMT
I said I was lumping on one beast but due to the Champion Hurdle betting being slightly more open I just may manage day two and onwards.

If I have no luck on day one I'll just stick an EW ticket on the next three days.
Report stewarty b February 25, 2021 11:04 AM GMT
Storm Alert, I don't want a name but do you fancy one strongly in the Gold Cup?
Report sageform February 25, 2021 11:15 AM GMT
workrider, no it was not a misprint. Do you seriously think that if an owner has 4 in race they are all there to do their best? Some are there to make the pace, some to interfere with the main opposition and only one or two to win the race. It is team sport for the big battalions. I don't agree with coupling horses as the French do but I can see their point.
Report glentoby February 25, 2021 11:21 AM GMT
Hi stew,looking forward to Chelt and the only strategy is to find as many winners as possible without betting in every race,avoiding the shorties other than laying them.

This year though I have a feeling the placepot pools could be stronger than usual from casual online punters joining in more.The pool is always good anyway and the divis can be very good so if my hunch is right we would be betting against plenty that really have little idea of the meeting,always a big advantage if you put some effort in,the rewards can be worthwhile.
Report stewarty b February 25, 2021 11:29 AM GMT
Hi there Toby. Never gave the placepot much thought tbh but I think I'll risk 64 notes each day perming them. As you say the pool is always good but no guarantee of a big dividend as you know. But get rid of two or three FAV's and it could pay tidy.
Report workrider February 25, 2021 12:58 PM GMT
Sageform , I find that comment hard to comprehend , I would agree if it was at a small meeting , but every horse has been a easy BEFORE Cheltenham to Protect its handicap mark to enable it to get into a race, or if trying to get into one they have been exposed shall we say. Those small trainers want to WIN at Cheltenham not be bit players . It and Aintree are the two meetings a year where I'd say Every horse is trying...
Report jimnast February 25, 2021 1:07 PM GMT
amazing sageform you have surprised me today.
Report glentoby February 25, 2021 1:09 PM GMT
Hi Jimnast,are you in the team compy or are you a free agent? Would be happy for you to join our rag tag outfit if you can?
Report jimnast February 25, 2021 1:52 PM GMT
hello glen i have joined up with the ew thieves but thanks for the offer,hope your well,
Report kavvie February 25, 2021 1:59 PM GMT
sageform its not like apob with pacemakers etc. if jp say has 4 in a handicap in aintree or cheltenham most are trained by different trainers and have their own plan for the race.. lots off times well backed jp ones have been beaten by rags belonging to himself.its not robotically pre planned.
Report glentoby February 25, 2021 2:00 PM GMT
No worries Jimnast,their gain imo,doing ok at the mo,hope you are well also,looking forward to Celt?
Report glentoby February 25, 2021 2:01 PM GMT
Chelt!!!
Report jimnast February 25, 2021 2:10 PM GMT
yes really looking forward to it glen,but sad not to be going as i have missed only 5 days since 1980 and only 1 since 1990,but at least its on and we will all get to see some very good horses,some of which may end up great horses.
Report second again February 25, 2021 2:22 PM GMT
Most horses are trying at Cheltenham but there will be a few getting there prep race for Liverpool.
Report liberator of the oppressed February 25, 2021 2:45 PM GMT
My strategy is to stay alive for the week nothing like it try and think about my liver I bet like a demon that week and sometimes from minute meeting previous year ends concentrate on four key races champion hurdle then arkle followed by gold cup and champion chase this year also had an interest in mares largely because love benie then started to back honeysuckle all in doubles and trebles then to safeguard that started to load on concert anticipation others might not get there might go off Evs and the biggie is envoi in marsh once knew where was going or thought knew where was going. Champion hurdle epetante and goshen think was 12/1 with sky just after last year then shiskin 4/1 for enough to make my knees wobble had few quid on mullins is a two horse race to offset bit then al boum for a good wodge and enough on envoi to drink pom pom for remainder year. thought about trading however another year older who knows is jugular or nothing I'll struggle to watch envoi. Usually have a good first day if can pick up in champion hurdle and arkle can then go a bit mad. That is my betting stategy. Start off year with aussie open always joko to pay for Xmas he has done alright then focus on chelters and then ascot and love aidan's horse in the oaks. I'll back same Cheltenham horses every week 20 or 30 or 40 pound doubles or trebles start to mount up sadly reflected in who can get on with. Messed up bit last year with Hazel in the foxhunters had a 25/1 winner going onto it soon mounts up.
Report stewarty b February 25, 2021 2:48 PM GMT
Good write up loto.
Report liberator of the oppressed February 25, 2021 4:15 PM GMT
Thanks stew greatest week of the year biggest strain to the ticker I backed Might Bite went round town having bits and bobs on 12/1 one only let me have £50 on begins with L then thought was a lot dosh but hey ho watched race start off it went clear three or four out thought too much cannot watch this was still in front looking good I'll switch off and on when finished lots shouting it had won none done the dosh anyway did it had won was  massively happy watched replay couldn't coped with that had friend in grandstand he had much more on than me i had enough on he thought would get beat but that is life you have to be philosophical that is was makes racing so exceptional the horses the atmosphere the crowds and people and the betting and the beer just so good that's what we are missing. When I was younger i maxed me acrd out on Istabraq sure was same year had nose bleed morning race that was worrying couldn't watch that either.
Report stewarty b February 25, 2021 4:21 PM GMT
Nice one loto! I have 4x15 cans of draught Guinness in my cellar. Sadly I can't have any mate's round but if things go well on the first day I'll polish them off!
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com