Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
mrcombustible
22 Feb 21 15:00
| Topic/replies: 2,951 | Blogger: mrcombustible's blog
As part of Step 3, no earlier than 17 May, the government will look to continue easing limits on seeing friends and family wherever possible, allowing people to decide on the appropriate level of risk for their circumstances.

This means that most legal restrictions on meeting others outdoors will be lifted - although gatherings of over 30 people will remain illegal. Indoors, the Rule of 6 or 2 households will apply - we will keep under review whether it is safe to increase this.

As soon as possible and by no later than Step 3, we will also update the advice on social distancing between friends and family, including hugging. But until this point, people should continue to keep their distance from anyone not in their household or support bubble.

Most businesses in all but the highest risk sectors will be able to reopen. In all sectors, COVID-Secure guidance will remain in place and businesses may not cater for groups bigger than the legal limits. Indoor hospitality will reopen - and as in Step 2, venues will not have to serve a substantial meal with alcoholic drinks; nor will there be a curfew. Customers will, however, have to order, eat and drink while seated.

Other indoor locations to open up in Step 3 include indoor entertainment venues such as cinemas and children’s play areas; the rest of the accommodation sector, including hotels, hostels and B&Bs; and indoor adult group sports and exercise classes. The government will also allow some larger performances and sporting events in indoor venues with a capacity of 1,000 people or half-full (whichever is a lower number), and in outdoor venues with a capacity of 4,000 people or half-full (whichever is a lower number). In the largest outdoor seated venues, where crowds can be spread out, up to 10,000 people will be able to attend (or a quarter-full, whichever is lower).

Up to 30 people will be able to attend weddings, receptions and wakes, as well as funerals. This limit will also apply to other types of significant life events including bar mitzvahs and christenings.
Pause Switch to Standard View Some crowds return to racing on May 17th
Show More
Report hulk23 February 22, 2021 4:04 PM GMT
basketball courts opening back up the end of march.  think that's the one we were all waiting for ...
Report onlooker February 22, 2021 4:06 PM GMT
EH?  .... How do you deduce that?

"although gatherings of over 30 people will remain illegl."

"Up to 30 people will be able to attend weddings, receptions and wakes, as well as funerals. This limit will also apply to other types of significant life"
Report mrcombustible February 22, 2021 4:16 PM GMT
The government will also allow some larger performances and sporting events in indoor venues with a capacity of 1,000 people or half-full (whichever is a lower number), and in outdoor venues with a capacity of 4,000 people or half-full (whichever is a lower number). In the largest outdoor seated venues, where crowds can be spread out, up to 10,000 people will be able to attend (or a quarter-full, whichever is lower).
Report ribero1 February 22, 2021 4:18 PM GMT
Our cup truly runneth over.
Report elise February 22, 2021 4:20 PM GMT
dates will be dependent on getting through the earlier eases of restrictions without seeing a rise in covid amongst other things,i wouldn't even trust them to know which end they sh1t out of
Report ribero1 February 22, 2021 4:29 PM GMT
Basically we are going to get what we got eventually last summer,until the country rises against this it will continue and that's not going to happen while furlough continues.
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! February 22, 2021 4:33 PM GMT
June 21 full social contacts
1 week after R Ascot

Looks like Windsor will be the first fixture without limits

Grin
Report ribero1 February 22, 2021 4:38 PM GMT
Without limits?! absolutely no chance.
Report morpteh mackem February 22, 2021 4:44 PM GMT
bookies open 12th april 2 days after grand national, could not have gn on the monday ?Grin
Report carrot1960 February 22, 2021 4:46 PM GMT
So you can meet your family including grandkids at the racecourse but you not allowed to vis1t them at their home , unbelievable.
Report TheGoddess February 22, 2021 4:47 PM GMT
Why don't the BHA put the GN back to 19/4/21 - seems sensible to me
Report Fashion Fever February 22, 2021 4:59 PM GMT
bet fred is going mad missing the national in the shops
Report ronnie rails February 22, 2021 5:00 PM GMT
The goddess

good result for the firms if the punter wants a bet on the gn they will open an online account,
just what the firms want sad to say.

hope you are well

regards

Ronnie.
Report Manoleeds February 22, 2021 5:01 PM GMT
Go to a race meeting muzzled up all day ? No thanks.
Report Fashion Fever February 22, 2021 5:03 PM GMT
must be like watching paint dry going racing no bookies and no bar
Report workrider February 22, 2021 5:14 PM GMT
I think its important to take the positive out of this , yesterday nobody had a idea of what was going to happen now that plans have emerged some are griping already. At least you have set dates to look forward to and if people keep to the rules things can only get better . I have a Son getting married in a few days and only 8 people are allowed attend ,but the positive thing is the road to recovery is opening up.
Report Manoleeds February 22, 2021 5:16 PM GMT
Don't think it has been suggested racecourses will be open without bookies and bars, has it? If so other than teetotal in running players who is going to go?
Report skiptoomaloumacari February 22, 2021 5:24 PM GMT
There were bookies and bars in December.........
Report dambuster February 22, 2021 5:29 PM GMT
Why do you need a Bar open at a racecourse,?.
I like a drink as much as anyone, but i'd rather go racing on a Saturday afternoon without the
Plastic gangsters who get bevvied up for a tear up and spoil it for everyone else.
Report ribero1 February 22, 2021 5:32 PM GMT
Unfortunately if bars were not allowed to open at racecourses there would soon be no racecourses to go to.
Report Manoleeds February 22, 2021 5:43 PM GMT

Feb 22, 2021 -- 11:29AM, dambuster wrote:

Why do you need a Bar open at a racecourse,?. I like a drink as much as anyone, but i'd rather go racing on a Saturday afternoon without the Plastic gangsters who get bevvied up for a tear up and spoil it for everyone else.

I am reminded of the probably made up story attributed to several famous persons about a  US visa application "Do you intend the undermine the Constitution of the United States of America" reply "Sole purpose of visit". Saturday afternoon without a few bevvies prior to a tear up (never heard that expression before)-what else are Saturdays for?

Report swiftynifty February 22, 2021 6:22 PM GMT
Chester's plans up in smoke.
Report CROPSICK February 22, 2021 6:23 PM GMT
Great idea Goddess, putting it back one week wont do any harm at all
Report sparrow February 22, 2021 6:23 PM GMT
I never bother with the bookies or the bar when I go racing.
Report ItsMeSwaddle February 22, 2021 6:30 PM GMT

Feb 22, 2021 -- 10:59AM, Fashion Fever wrote:

bet fred is going mad missing the national in the shops

F him.

Report jimnast February 22, 2021 8:52 PM GMT
yes good idea the goddess and whilst there at it hopefully they can put royal ascot back a week also.
Report ronnie rails February 22, 2021 9:34 PM GMT
Jimnast

do you think we will get a couple of  pilot  days before

hope you are well

regards

Ronnie.
Report jimnast February 22, 2021 9:59 PM GMT
i would hope so ronnie but to be honest the one thing these last 12 months have taught me is we are all just guessing.i thought when the vaccine came out i was 1.01 to be having a few drinks and a lovely afternoons racing musidora day.

hope your well to ronnie
Report Gordon63 February 23, 2021 9:35 AM GMT
Morning Workrider - hope the big day goes well. As you know I've been known to partake of a few beers before and during racing (as vast majority of my bets already placed beforehand) but I'd happily head off to Hamilton with the Temperance Society (albeit for a limited period!) just to be racing again..
Report workrider February 23, 2021 9:38 AM GMT
LaughLaugh Gordon, doubt theres any chance of that happening. Thanks for the good wishes for my Son.
Report layingisthewayforward February 23, 2021 9:47 AM GMT
So on the 12th April we can go and sit inside and get a haircut or sit outside in a beer garden but we have to wait another 5 weeks before we can stand outside and watch some horses run around a track. Ridiculous.
Report robo February 23, 2021 9:52 AM GMT
There isn’t many hairdressers with 5000 people in them , or beer gardens for that matter .
Report truehoncho February 23, 2021 9:53 AM GMT
5 weeks if you are lucky. The hysteria that exists guarantees nothing. Remember Doncaster.
Report EricShunn February 23, 2021 10:02 AM GMT
TheGoddess22 Feb 21 17:47Joined: 18 Mar 14 | Topic/replies: 1,525 | Blogger: TheGoddess's blog
Why don't the BHA put the GN back to 19/4/21 - seems sensible to me

Make sure the BHA get this message. They are unlikely to think of this by themselves.
Report robo February 23, 2021 10:03 AM GMT
What’s your son doing workrider ?, is he getting married ? . If he is then it’s the right time to do it , in fact weddings should be private affairs from now on , the lockdowns have shown that a wedding is a wedding , no need for having 200 people at them , most of which don’t even want to be there . The people involved do their thing , they have little or no expense and the guests don’t have to get a present , new clothes , maybe pay for a hotel , and finally have to endure the torture of being at one
Report MaxED February 23, 2021 10:19 AM GMT
Be nice to get back on course and have a proper bet every time i go online i only get offered 17 pence worth
Report workrider February 23, 2021 10:27 AM GMT
Make sure the BHA get this message. They are unlikely to think of this by themselves. Brilliant Eric...Laugh
Report Gordon63 February 23, 2021 2:45 PM GMT
delaying GN sounds good but can't see the govt going for it - imagine that the first weekend after some (!) restrictions eased, queues outside betting shops, staff trying desperately to keep numbers inside within limits 10-20 people, etc etc would the negative publicity really be worth it? I'd guess that at least 50% of people planning a bet on the GN have an online/mobile account...similarly chester are chasing the wrong horse with their 5000 dream
Report ItsMeSwaddle February 23, 2021 3:03 PM GMT

Feb 23, 2021 -- 3:47AM, layingisthewayforward wrote:

So on the 12th April we can go and sit inside and get a haircut or sit outside in a beer garden but we have to wait another 5 weeks before we can stand outside and watch some horses run around a track. Ridiculous.

This my thinking too. This news wasn’t positive

Report Fashion Fever February 23, 2021 3:20 PM GMT
would push it week towards punchestown another potential problem
Report isleham February 23, 2021 3:46 PM GMT
English trainers frightened to go to Ireland nowadays and Aintree not such a priority for the Irish with National runners very unlikely to run at Punchestown
Report BennyBinion1 February 23, 2021 4:24 PM GMT
Matt Hancock today warns easing lockdown could be slower than PMs timeline...

Give the public a small crumb of hope and bit of excitement.

Then quickly take it away
Report slickster February 23, 2021 4:30 PM GMT
There will be no crumbs thrown from this particular table for a long long time.
Report onlooker February 23, 2021 4:36 PM GMT
Gordon63 23 Feb 21 15:45 

delaying GN sounds good but can't see the govt going for it - imagine that the first weekend after some (!) restrictions eased, queues outside betting shops, staff trying desperately to keep numbers inside within limits 10-20 people, etc etc would the negative publicity really be worth it? I'd guess that at least 50% of people planning a bet on the GN have an online/mobile account...similarly chester are chasing the wrong horse with their 5000 dream
------------------

Excellent Point - Gordon
Report The Knight February 23, 2021 10:33 PM GMT
It is good news and it is important to remember that the government cannot keep on locking us down for long, long periods. Economy and public won't stand it again.

So, if the vaccine works as it seems to be doing so far we should be OK, but not without some bumps along the way and some media hysteria.

But if the vaccine fails because of mutations etc, then going racing will be the least of our worries because the government will surely have to let the virus rip. Herd immunity through mass infection will mean nature doing the trick. But in that scenario we will have an atrocious two years when any normal activity will be hugely eclipsed by illness and death.

Also, are the racetracks - Chester this time - ever going to learn?

Start with SMALL crowds and work up incrementally. Not only safer but the non-racing public will scream blue murder at a meeting with 5000 but will lose interest while tracks move from, say, 500, to 1000, to 1500 and so on. Yet, Chester, 5k all sitting down in a tent. What were they thinking?
Report onlooker February 24, 2021 1:32 AM GMT
^    "What were they thinking?"
---------

£  $  £
Report jimnast February 24, 2021 6:08 PM GMT
leeds and reading festivals are planing to go ahead as normal .
Report duffy February 24, 2021 6:11 PM GMT
what could possibly go wrong, after all, all those 80/90 year old pub going ravers have all been vaccinated, so they will all be ok to packs out the bars and streets in 6 weeks or so no problemGrin
Report mrcombustible February 24, 2021 7:46 PM GMT
Crowds closer to racecourse return as Chester eyes May meeting for trial run

1 of 1
By Scott Burton
UPDATED 7:32PM, FEB 24 2021

Chester could step forward to stage sizeable crowd trials before the government's May 17 target for the reopening of sports stadia, with the track's executive submitting a plan to the relevant authorities for up to 5,000 spectators on each of the three days of its prestigious May meeting.

While step three of the government's roadmap for taking England out of lockdown does not kick in until two weeks after its fixture, the course already has lateral flow testing kits on order and a plan in place that could be used in conjunction with the work group tasked with plotting the return of large-scale sporting and cultural events.

As teams at racecourse groups and independents in England continue to digest the details of prime minister Boris Johnson's plans, Goodwood has emerged as another venue ready to hold test events, despite suffering the disappointment of having racing's first crowd pilot cancelled at less than 24 hours' notice last summer.

This month Chester's chief executive Richard Thomas made public the course's ambition to employ mass testing once crowds were allowed back to racecourses, and on Wednesday he said the timing of the government's phased ending of lockdown provided no obvious barrier to aiming for its three-day fixture which starts on  May 5.

Racegoers could return to Chester ahead of the May 17 target date set by the government if the course is given the go-ahead to stage pilot events
Racegoers could return to Chester ahead of the May 17 target date set by the government if the course is given the go-ahead to stage pilot events
Edward Whitaker
He said: "We've got the plan in place for what would have been a trial event anyway, so we are speaking again to our local authority and with the Sports Technology and Innovation Group [Stig] to see whether the three days of the May meeting would be a sensible trial with perhaps four or five thousand people.

"Then we wait for clarity whether the events from then onwards are limited to four thousand or ten thousand people, depending on the stadia the government is talking about, before reopening properly in the middle of June hopefully.

"There are three stages with the test events, the limited capacity events and then whatever we feel will happen from the middle of June onwards."

While Stig has been examining technological solutions for making major sports venues Covid-secure since last September, on Monday the government announced an event research programme tasked with navigating a path for sports and cultural gatherings set to resume after June 21, with pilot events scheduled to begin in April at the earliest.

"With our plan in place we'd hope that could be looked upon favourably," said Thomas. "It's ready to go and we have the tests ordered, so if they need us to do it we can do it and it would probably lend itself quite well.

"We're crossing our fingers but I think the key to all of these things is knowing enough time in advance so that you can make it happen, and being sure that it will happen."

Thomas said that tickets for non-test events from late May onwards would be on sale in two weeks, but offered a word of caution, one probably shared by his colleagues at other courses.

"As other places have found, having pilots or test events and then having the rug pulled at the 11th hour is hugely costly," said Thomas. "To get a large racecourse ready to go racing and tickets put on sale, it means bringing everyone back from furlough.

"The cost implications for racecourses to ready themselves for a season of crowds – with the whole process of ticketing and hospitality, temporary facilities and the like – are significant."

Thomas added: "We'll have to make that move with the knowledge there is a risk involved that, if the timetable slips, it could cost significant sums. And none of us is in a position at the moment to lose even more money."

Should the pace of vaccination and decline in hospitalisations from Covid-19 stay on track in the way envisaged, Goodwood is in position to be early beneficiaries of both the May 17 return of limited crowds and the end to most restrictions on June 21.

"The main point is this has to be good news," said Goodwood managing director of sport Adam Waterworth. "In the past we've been waiting for this sort of clear roadmap and, for completely understandable reasons, we haven't always had that clarity. Sitting through the statement, I can't see how it could have been any better. The headlines are really positive and let's remember that."

Waterworth added: "It means we will get a crowd of some sort into our meeting at the end of May and we're going to get a bigger crowd than we were thinking into Glorious [Goodwood], although I'm not sure how big just yet. Whether back to normal means back to normal, we'll see."

Despite the heartbreak and cost of last year's cancelled pilot, Waterworth believes Goodwood could again step forward as a potential host for a pilot event.

"I think if we were approached it would be really hard not to [say yes]," said Waterworth. "We all need to do our bit and anything I can do that will help ensure we are in a better position come the end of July to stage Glorious Goodwood, I'll do it.

"We got our fingers burned last time and it took a while for us to get over it. If I'm entirely honest I'm still not sure I am over it. But if there is a chance for us to play a part in making sure we get a crowd back to Glorious, then we're going to do whatever we can. I think any of us would."
Report ian merseyside February 24, 2021 8:02 PM GMT
It will be great if it happens, but it is always "jam tomorrow" and there are far too many caveats for me.  Call me a hoax/conspiracy believer if you like, but my guess is that this all depends if the big pharma companies have made enough money out of this before letting us out again. If enough people don't accept the jab, then they will look to play this out a bit longer until their pockets are full.
Report ribero1 February 24, 2021 8:52 PM GMT
Lateral flow tests sound a whole lotta fun!
Report stewarty b February 25, 2021 4:00 AM GMT
So, if the vaccine works as it seems to be doing so far we should be OK,

It looks very promising so far...if you agree to be vaccinated..
Report isleham February 25, 2021 7:55 AM GMT
In my area of Surrey the take up in all groups has been well in excess of 90% but of course very few BAME members to deflate the figures
Report jimnast February 25, 2021 8:03 AM GMT
i had mine yesterday at the ethiad there were more people there having vaccines than there are on european nights,
Report Gordon63 February 25, 2021 4:54 PM GMT
no change in GN date - 100% the correct decision, for once!!
Report jimnast February 25, 2021 5:10 PM GMT
agreed gordon
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com