Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
skiptoomaloumacari
21 Feb 21 19:06
| Topic/replies: 48,672 | Blogger: skiptoomaloumacari's blog
sad news .........remember him winning the Ebor on Dakota..........
Pause Switch to Standard View Sandy Barclay ........r.i.p
Show More
Report RothmanMike February 21, 2021 6:15 PM GMT
Very sad.
No2 at Henry’s , and rode loads of good ones.
Report onlooker February 21, 2021 6:19 PM GMT
At the time - He was bigger news and potential as an Apprentice, than the likes of Dettori.

Walked into the job with Noel Murless - all went well for a while - and then ..... will forever remain a mystery - especially now that he has passed on.
Report sparrow February 21, 2021 6:22 PM GMT
One of the top jockeys in the 60s with the top job too at Noel Murless's yard. R.I.P. Sandy.
Report the dealer February 21, 2021 6:24 PM GMT
Sad news RIP
Report sparrow February 21, 2021 6:25 PM GMT
From The Free Library.

HE was the boy wonder who rocketed to stardom in a truly golden era for the sport of Kings.

And, though Sandy Barclay may not have an Ayr Gold Cup tucked into his big-race portfolio, there aren't many major Flat prizes that eluded his grasp during a glittering career in the saddle.

Crowned champion apprentice in 1966 as a 17-year-old while with Harry Whiteman at Cree Lodge, the Ayrshire lad was head- hunted for the post of stable jockey to legendary Sir Noel Murless the following season and it was a partnership that proved to be almost invincible over the next few campaigns.

Brushing aside retained Warren Place pilots Lester Piggott and George Moore, Barclay became the darling of the racing world when capturing one big race after another in 1968.

The year began with victory aboard Caergwrie in the 1000 Guineas and the season also yielded a massive Group 1 hat-trick for Jim Joel's Royal Palace in the Coronation Cup, Eclipse and King George V1 and Queen Elizabeth Stakes followed by a win for The Queen on Hopeful Venture in the Grand Prix de Saint Cloud.

One of the few reverses Barclay suffered came when he had Derby glory snatched from under his nose as Piggott produced one of his famously powerful Epsom rides on Sir Ivor to touch off hapless Connaught by a length and a half.

A remarkable season ended with Barclay runner-up to Piggott in the jockeys' championship. But though his tally of 116 saw him 23 winners adrift of the `Long Fellow', it was still a magnificent haul from a youngster who had been relatively unheard of 12 months earlier.
Report RothmanMike February 21, 2021 6:26 PM GMT
Top team then with likes of Piggot and the unforgettable George Moore.
Report second again February 21, 2021 6:27 PM GMT
R.I.P.Sandy.
Report RothmanMike February 21, 2021 6:33 PM GMT
With owners like Jim Joel,Lord Howard de Walden, C A B St George, Carlo D’Alessio, Daniel Wildensrein, how could you fail.
My favourite racehorse ever, owned by H J Joel, trained by Noel Murless, and ridden by George Moore.
Report RothmanMike February 21, 2021 6:33 PM GMT
Royal Palace, of course.
Report Andrew.in.Sweden February 21, 2021 6:36 PM GMT
RIP
Report sparrow February 21, 2021 6:37 PM GMT
Rothman...Brigust posted on here that Royal Palace had actually been given a lower rating than Excelebration by Timeform.
Report RothmanMike February 21, 2021 6:50 PM GMT
Ok but Royal Palace beat Taj Dewan in the Guineas, on three legs so probably slowed it down a tad.
Report sparrow February 21, 2021 6:54 PM GMT
Royal Palace was a great favourite of mine too Rothman and that rating difference with Excelebration was a joke.
Report posy February 21, 2021 6:54 PM GMT
Royal Palace was also a favourite of mine. I was at Sandown when he won the Eclipse , one of the greatest races I’ve ever seen.
Remember Barclay very well ;arrived on the scene like a shooting star and fizzled out soon afterwards . Can’t recall why he left Warren Place ; at the back of my mind wonder if it was a weight problem.
Report stewarty b February 21, 2021 6:56 PM GMT
onlooker21 Feb 21 19:19Joined: 18 Feb 03 | Topic/replies: 35,365 | Blogger: onlooker's blog
At the time - He was bigger news and potential as an Apprentice, than the likes of Dettori.

Walked into the job with Noel Murless - all went well for a while - and then ..... will forever remain a mystery - especially now that he has passed on.

I know exactly the mystery as some on course books on here will. That's as much as I can say due to forum rules.
Report RothmanMike February 21, 2021 7:02 PM GMT
Pictures of George Moore on Royal Palace are like gold dust.
Only rode over here for a year or so, and was forced to return to Australia very suddenly.
Remember at the time, rumour had it that Piggot’s men had got to him as he replaced him,and was now winning everything.
Report posy February 21, 2021 7:25 PM GMT
I thought Moore left because the doping/fixing gang threatened his family if he didn't cooperate. First I've heard of Lester being involved .
Report posy February 21, 2021 7:39 PM GMT
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enGB760GB761&sxsrf=ALeKk03u3Jsqz5XrG0kdvcu2w-uMtY0DEQ%3A1613936312673&ei=uLYyYMvTKLqo1fAP2t6P8AM&q=1968+eclipse+stakes&oq=1968+eclipse&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAEYADIECCMQJzIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB46CggjELADEMkDECc6FAgAELADEIoDELcDENQDEOUCEIsDOhEIABCwAxCKAxC3AxDlAhCLAzoCCAA6BggAEAcQHjoHCAAQhwIQFDoCCC46BQgAEMkDOggIABAIEA0QHlCBGFi8TmCvWWgBcAJ4AIABkQGIAfEGkgEDOS4xmAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpesgBCrgBAsABAQ&sclient=gws-wiz

The finish of the 1968 Eclipse
Report stewarty b February 21, 2021 7:42 PM GMT
I notice not one old time on course bookie has paid tribute. I'll say no more..
Report stewarty b February 21, 2021 7:44 PM GMT
*They know..
Report workrider February 21, 2021 7:55 PM GMT
Only barely remember him , I remember him been brokenhearted as Sir Ivor grabbed him near the line, I don't think he ever fully recovered...RIP..
Report stewarty b February 21, 2021 7:58 PM GMT
If people knew the truth there would be no RIP's. (nap)
Report stewarty b February 21, 2021 8:29 PM GMT
Not one on course bookie...
Report salmon spray February 21, 2021 10:47 PM GMT
You can't libel the dead stewarty. So either say something or shut up.
R.I.P Sandy.
Report acey deucy February 21, 2021 11:23 PM GMT
Bad form stew.
Report Andrew.in.Sweden February 22, 2021 6:15 AM GMT
One of the few reverses Barclay suffered came when he had Derby glory snatched from under his nose as Piggott produced one of his famously powerful Epsom rides on Sir Ivor to touch off hapless Connaught by a length and a half.

A remarkable season ended with Barclay runner-up to Piggott in the jockeys' championship. But though his tally of 116 saw him 23 winners adrift of the `Long Fellow', it was still a magnificent haul from a youngster who had been relatively unheard of 12 months earlier.

However, in October he lost his job with Murless after coming second in the Princess Royal Stakes on odds-on favourite Parmelia.

The trainer said in his biography: "Sandy Barclay appeared just not to have the mentality to make the grade. Perhaps I was a bit hard on him, but he was always turning up late for work and sometimes not coming at all. Then, when he rode a very bad race on Parmelia, I got bloody annoyed and sacked him."

But a lucrative deal was almost immediately secured in France where he was offered a huge annual retainer to ride for Chantilly trainer Francois Boutin.

In a two and half year stint across the Channel he rode more than 150 winners before he became disillusioned and returned to the UK. He suffered a badly broken leg in 1977.

A five-year spell in India saw him win several sub-continent Classics including the Indian Derby and he married Miranda shortly after coming back home in 1983. He finally called it quits in 1990 after a roller-coaster riding career that spanned 26 years.

RIP
Report posy February 22, 2021 9:28 AM GMT
Very interesting Andrew though i'd have liked to read what Murless went on to write.
Perhaps SB had too much success too young
Report paulo47 February 22, 2021 9:44 AM GMT
Yep was at Sandown too in 1968 , backed Sir Ivor (3rd ) and Frankie's dad Lianfranco was second .
Report paulo47 February 22, 2021 9:46 AM GMT
gianfranco
Report Andrew.in.Sweden February 22, 2021 10:07 AM GMT
Posy

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/9780002162968/Guvnor-Biography-Sir-Noel-Murless-0002162962/plp

I tend to agree, a bit like young footballers that attain celebrity status and trappings of success before they are fully grown these days.
He was certainly a decent jockey, that's without question and in an era of some decent ones.
Petulant ? Thought he was invincible ? Who knows and i'm not here to critique him.
One thing i will say is, i doubt he was involved in anything 'iffy' as has been intimated, but i can't be 100% sure of course.
Report GEORGE.B February 22, 2021 10:14 AM GMT
R.I.P Sandy

I can't find a link to the 1970 Princess Royal Stakes, it would be interesting to see what exactly provoked Sir Noel's ire.

I haven't a clue what stewy is referring to, but came across this story about a big bet at Lanark racecourse, however there is no suggestion that anything dodgy went on.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12041117.nice-wee-day-at-the-lanark-races-but-by-crikey-the-horse-laugh-was-on-me/
Report ged February 22, 2021 10:22 AM GMT
I was at Ascot that day, but I have no memory of the Parmelia race. The only race I remember is Cawston's Pride running away from the field in the Cornwallis.
Report penzance February 22, 2021 10:24 AM GMT
some woman asked about him on a forum,seemed
to think he had a drink/drugs problem.
RIP.
Report GEORGE.B February 22, 2021 10:28 AM GMT
Cheers, ged. I wonder what the form comments said (if there were any).
Report Andrew.in.Sweden February 22, 2021 10:39 AM GMT
George

I think the article is erroneous in places.

Scottish Sinbad never won the Coronation Cup as stated.

In 1964 Relko won it and Sandy Barclay didn't become a jockey unti 1965. He won it in 1968 on Royal Palace.
Report ged February 22, 2021 10:44 AM GMT
Scottish Sinbad ran in the Lanark Silver Bell in 1968, but was ridden by Geoff Oldroyd. Barclay was at Sandown that day. The horse had won its previous race, but it was a Brighton handicap, ridden by Ron Hutchinson.
Report GEORGE.B February 22, 2021 10:47 AM GMT
Thanks Andrew, I did wonder about the date and whether it was a bit early for Barclay.

I'll have to get my fact checkers on the case before posting such articles in future!
Report GEORGE.B February 22, 2021 10:50 AM GMT
Thanks for correcting the article, ged.
Report Andrew.in.Sweden February 22, 2021 10:58 AM GMT
No worries George. I was curious simply because i haven't heard anything iffy about Sandy Barclay.

From 1967 (Wiki)

Derby also-ran Scottish Sinbad who won a handicap at the same Newcastle meeting where Wolver Hollow was victorious and Queen Anne Stakes runner up Arenaria who was in receipt of ten pounds.

Scottish Sinbad made the running but was closely tracked by Wolver Hollow under a motionless Edward Hide who sent his mount home inside the final furlong to win by a length and a half with Arenaria a further two lengths behind.

Well done GED.
Report GEORGE.B February 22, 2021 11:07 AM GMT
Anyway, whatever stewy is referring to, his post would suggest it occurred in the 1970s.
Report ged February 22, 2021 11:07 AM GMT
Scottish Sinbad was owned by Sandy Struthers (is that the wire he's crossing?). He was ridden by Val Fatgoater in Royal Palace's Derby, Barclay rode Helluvafella. Both went off at 200/1.
Report posy February 22, 2021 11:19 AM GMT
George might be worth searching for it under a different name.

The event was established in 1946 and was originally called the Princess Royal Stakes. It was named after the Princess Royal at that time, Princess Mary. For a period it took place in September,[1] and it later moved to October.

The current system of race grading was introduced in 1971, and the Princess Royal Stakes subsequently held Group 3 status.

The race was run at Newmarket in 2000, after being called off at Ascot due to a security alert.[2] It was switched to Ascot's late September fixture in 2004. It took place at Newmarket again in 2005, as its usual home was closed for redevelopment. It reverted to October in 2007.

The event was promoted to Group 2 level, transferred to Newmarket and renamed the Pride Stakes in 2008.[3] It was named after Pride, a recent winner of the Champion Stakes. From this point it was staged during the venue's Champions' Meeting in mid-October. The title "Princess Royal Stakes" was assigned to a different race at Ascot, an event previously called the Harvest Stakes. The Pride Stakes had a purse of £100,000 in 2010.[4]
Report GEORGE.B February 22, 2021 11:38 AM GMT
Cheers posy, I've had a look under Harvest Stakes, but no joy either.

I fear any footage (if it ever existed) of the race has gone forever, and I can't even say that the race is now only in the memories of the people who were there on the day and are still alive, as ged has said he has no memory of the race and he was there on the day!

The race can actually be regarded as a significant racing historical document, because it would seem that whatever went wrong in the race for Parmelia, it effectively ended Barclay's career at the top level in Britain.
Report sparrow February 22, 2021 11:41 AM GMT
Val ****er was one I had completely forgotten about.

https://sites.google.com/site/allsoppfredjockey/****ter-val
Report sparrow February 22, 2021 11:42 AM GMT
Wste of time trying to post that name and link.
Report sparrow February 22, 2021 11:44 AM GMT
*** OWNER Sandy Struthers had a very good horse in the sixties called Mount Athos which was placed in the Derby. Was it trained by Nigel Angus as a two-year-old?

J Mackie, Kilmarnock Mount Athos was trained by John Dunlop when chasing home Sir Ivor and Connaught in the high-class 1968 Derby. He was trained at Cree Lodge by Harry Whiteman as a two-year-old and scored under Val ****ter at 10-1 on his debut at Ayr before following up at Newcastle. He lost his next two races and was transferred to Dunlop. Apart from his Epsom third, Mount Athos easily won the Gordon Stakes at Glorious Goodwood and the Princess of Wales's Stakes at Newmarket before flopping in the St Leger. He had started off in the Spring winning handicaps at Nottingham and Newcastle so perhaps he was feeling the effects of a long, arduous seaso
Report ged February 22, 2021 12:12 PM GMT
Mount Athos was the year-younger half-brother to Scottish Sinbad. The mare (Rosie Wings) also produced John Splendid, who won an Ayr Gold Cup.
Report Movewiththetimes February 22, 2021 12:17 PM GMT
RIP- 1970 Eclipse Stakes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxuZzKFXeL8
Report posy February 22, 2021 12:44 PM GMT
Just been rereading Roger Mortimer's opinion of the 1968 Derby.

" That final furlong provided one of the most thrilling and spectacular Derby episodes within living memory and can never be forgotten by those who had the good luck to be there to see it".

" Entering the final furlong it really looked as if Connaught , a maiden, could not be beaten......."

" In a matter of seconds a turn of speed that had to be seen to be believed had swept him past Connaught who certainly did not falter in the closing stages of the struggle....."

Whilst SB only had a short time at Warren Place he was involved in at least two truly historic races.
Report posy February 22, 2021 1:10 PM GMT
Andrew many thanks for the link;have ordered a copy.
Report workrider February 22, 2021 1:16 PM GMT
I was at Baldoyle when Nor made his debut , I think he got beat .
Report Andrew.in.Sweden February 22, 2021 1:22 PM GMT
Posy

YW. I looked for the cheaper copy. On Amazon, one guy wanted 162 euros for a hardback. Shocked

Happy reading.
Report jonmh. February 22, 2021 1:27 PM GMT
RIP
Report posy February 22, 2021 1:38 PM GMT
abebooks ..cost me £16 (inc postage)
Report stewarty b February 23, 2021 2:29 PM GMT
stewarty b
Date Joined: 02 Aug 02
Add contact | Send message
21 Feb 21 19:56Joined: 02 Aug 02 | Topic/replies: 27,576 | Blogger: stewarty b's blog
onlooker21 Feb 21 19:19Joined: 18 Feb 03 | Topic/replies: 35,365 | Blogger: onlooker's blog

Does nobody wonder why Murless got shot of him? For a jockey who had so much talent it makes one wonder. And it will remain a mystery ......to most.
Report salmon spray February 23, 2021 2:37 PM GMT
Well you may something I don't stewarty but I remember the period well and there was some surprise when a very young jockey got the biggest job in GB,though I agree he was seen as one of the better apprentices of the 60s. I think it's arguable that he wasn't quite good enough compared to Piggott and George Moore who were his immediate predecessors in the job. His relative lack of success over a long period in the north later in his career may bear that out.
Report salmon spray February 23, 2021 2:37 PM GMT
*know something
Report stewarty b February 23, 2021 2:51 PM GMT
ss it had nothing to do with his riding ability.
Report stewarty b February 23, 2021 6:25 PM GMT
He spent several years riding in India before returning home in 1983, and scored his 518th and last British victory in 1988.

Why did nobody take up the services of this genius instead of moving to India? He definitely had the talent??
Report penzance February 23, 2021 6:26 PM GMT
thought he got a good offer from France?
Report stewarty b February 23, 2021 6:28 PM GMT
I notice Piggott never put up any tribute. He may have been hard of hearing but he knew what was going on..
Report G Hall February 23, 2021 6:59 PM GMT
A bit like jamie spencer getting the ballydoyle gig
Report sparrow February 23, 2021 7:16 PM GMT
Sandy was a damn sight better than Spencer.
Report G Hall February 23, 2021 7:24 PM GMT
Well so was frank
Report stewarty b February 23, 2021 7:27 PM GMT
Spencer still gets rides....in the UK. He didn't have to go to India.. Every picture tells a story..
Report sparrow February 23, 2021 7:55 PM GMT
stewarty.....Did you know he went to France from here first?

Barclay's time at Warren Place was short-lived and at the end of the 1970 season he was replaced by Geoff Lewis. But a lucrative deal was almost immediately secured in France where he was offered a huge annual retainer to ride for Chantilly trainer Francois Boutin.

In a two and half year stint across the Channel he rode more than 150 winners before he became disillusioned and returned to the UK. He didn't cut much ice as a freelance and his career sunk to an all- time low when he suffered a badly broken leg in 1977.

A five-year spell in India saw him win several sub-continent Classics including the Indian Derby and he married Miranda shortly after coming back home in 1983. He finally called it quits in 1990 after a roller-coaster riding career that spanned 26 years.
Report sparrow February 23, 2021 7:58 PM GMT
You keep talking about India yet somehow fail to mention his 150 winners in France whilst on a lucrative retainer.
Report stewarty b February 23, 2021 8:01 PM GMT
And why did he have to move to France sparrow? btw no RIP's from old school on course bookies here..
Report stewarty b February 23, 2021 8:04 PM GMT
You keep talking about India

Can't think of another 'top class' jockey who had to move to India. Do you?
Report sparrow February 23, 2021 8:05 PM GMT
The answer to your question is in my above post and as for on course bookmakers I have no idea what you are talking about but maybe you recall the 60s better than myself.
Report sparrow February 23, 2021 8:07 PM GMT
I think you have some sort of grudge against this person but only you will know the answer to that one.
Report penzance February 23, 2021 8:10 PM GMT
he came back to England again,then went to India,
it seems.Went there from choice,after getting
injured.Thats what I read.
Report stewarty b February 23, 2021 8:16 PM GMT
sparrow
Date Joined: 20 Jul 02
Add contact | Send message
23 Feb 21 21:07Joined: 20 Jul 02 | Topic/replies: 37,756 | Blogger: sparrow's blog
I think you have some sort of grudge against this person but only you will know the answer to that one.

Grudge? If you knew the truth you wouldn't be backing him up. Like I said, no old time on course books paying their respect. Doesn't that strike you as strange?
Report stewarty b February 23, 2021 8:22 PM GMT
Non gambling related but what I can say from several bookmakers....he was a ban un.
Report sparrow February 23, 2021 8:23 PM GMT
Well you obviously think you know something that I don't so there's not much point in my saying anymore then.
Report stewarty b February 23, 2021 8:30 PM GMT
Well there is one thing...Murless said he wasn't dedicated and the final straw was when he got beat on an odds on chance in his biography. You sack a jockey for finishing second on an odds chance? I think not. Murless couldn't tell the truth.
Report stewarty b February 23, 2021 8:32 PM GMT
At Newmarket, word soon spreads..
Report GEORGE.B February 23, 2021 9:11 PM GMT
I've had a good look through the archives and found three posts referring to what stewy might be referring to, and two of them were made by stewy himself!

The other post is more revealing, though if accurate surely more would know about it?
Report stewarty b February 23, 2021 9:37 PM GMT
It was hush hush GEORGE. Different days then.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com