Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
skiptoomaloumacari
21 Feb 21 17:06
| Topic/replies: 1,689 | Blogger: skiptoomaloumacari's blog
sad news .........remember him winning the Ebor on Dakota..........

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 79
By:
RothmanMike
When: 21 Feb 21 17:15
Very sad.
No2 at Henry’s , and rode loads of good ones.
By:
onlooker
When: 21 Feb 21 17:19
At the time - He was bigger news and potential as an Apprentice, than the likes of Dettori.

Walked into the job with Noel Murless - all went well for a while - and then ..... will forever remain a mystery - especially now that he has passed on.
By:
sparrow
When: 21 Feb 21 17:22
One of the top jockeys in the 60s with the top job too at Noel Murless's yard. R.I.P. Sandy.
By:
the dealer
When: 21 Feb 21 17:24
Sad news RIP
By:
sparrow
When: 21 Feb 21 17:25
From The Free Library.

HE was the boy wonder who rocketed to stardom in a truly golden era for the sport of Kings.

And, though Sandy Barclay may not have an Ayr Gold Cup tucked into his big-race portfolio, there aren't many major Flat prizes that eluded his grasp during a glittering career in the saddle.

Crowned champion apprentice in 1966 as a 17-year-old while with Harry Whiteman at Cree Lodge, the Ayrshire lad was head- hunted for the post of stable jockey to legendary Sir Noel Murless the following season and it was a partnership that proved to be almost invincible over the next few campaigns.

Brushing aside retained Warren Place pilots Lester Piggott and George Moore, Barclay became the darling of the racing world when capturing one big race after another in 1968.

The year began with victory aboard Caergwrie in the 1000 Guineas and the season also yielded a massive Group 1 hat-trick for Jim Joel's Royal Palace in the Coronation Cup, Eclipse and King George V1 and Queen Elizabeth Stakes followed by a win for The Queen on Hopeful Venture in the Grand Prix de Saint Cloud.

One of the few reverses Barclay suffered came when he had Derby glory snatched from under his nose as Piggott produced one of his famously powerful Epsom rides on Sir Ivor to touch off hapless Connaught by a length and a half.

A remarkable season ended with Barclay runner-up to Piggott in the jockeys' championship. But though his tally of 116 saw him 23 winners adrift of the `Long Fellow', it was still a magnificent haul from a youngster who had been relatively unheard of 12 months earlier.
By:
RothmanMike
When: 21 Feb 21 17:26
Top team then with likes of Piggot and the unforgettable George Moore.
By:
second again
When: 21 Feb 21 17:27
R.I.P.Sandy.
By:
RothmanMike
When: 21 Feb 21 17:33
With owners like Jim Joel,Lord Howard de Walden, C A B St George, Carlo D’Alessio, Daniel Wildensrein, how could you fail.
My favourite racehorse ever, owned by H J Joel, trained by Noel Murless, and ridden by George Moore.
By:
RothmanMike
When: 21 Feb 21 17:33
Royal Palace, of course.
By:
Andrew.in.Sweden
When: 21 Feb 21 17:36
RIP
By:
sparrow
When: 21 Feb 21 17:37
Rothman...Brigust posted on here that Royal Palace had actually been given a lower rating than Excelebration by Timeform.
By:
RothmanMike
When: 21 Feb 21 17:50
Ok but Royal Palace beat Taj Dewan in the Guineas, on three legs so probably slowed it down a tad.
By:
sparrow
When: 21 Feb 21 17:54
Royal Palace was a great favourite of mine too Rothman and that rating difference with Excelebration was a joke.
By:
posy
When: 21 Feb 21 17:54
Royal Palace was also a favourite of mine. I was at Sandown when he won the Eclipse , one of the greatest races I’ve ever seen.
Remember Barclay very well ;arrived on the scene like a shooting star and fizzled out soon afterwards . Can’t recall why he left Warren Place ; at the back of my mind wonder if it was a weight problem.
By:
stewarty b
When: 21 Feb 21 17:56
onlooker21 Feb 21 19:19Joined: 18 Feb 03 | Topic/replies: 35,365 | Blogger: onlooker's blog
At the time - He was bigger news and potential as an Apprentice, than the likes of Dettori.

Walked into the job with Noel Murless - all went well for a while - and then ..... will forever remain a mystery - especially now that he has passed on.

I know exactly the mystery as some on course books on here will. That's as much as I can say due to forum rules.
By:
RothmanMike
When: 21 Feb 21 18:02
Pictures of George Moore on Royal Palace are like gold dust.
Only rode over here for a year or so, and was forced to return to Australia very suddenly.
Remember at the time, rumour had it that Piggot’s men had got to him as he replaced him,and was now winning everything.
By:
posy
When: 21 Feb 21 18:25
I thought Moore left because the doping/fixing gang threatened his family if he didn't cooperate. First I've heard of Lester being involved .
By:
posy
When: 21 Feb 21 18:39
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enGB760GB761&sxsrf=ALeKk03u3Jsqz5XrG0kdvcu2w-uMtY0DEQ%3A1613936312673&ei=uLYyYMvTKLqo1fAP2t6P8AM&q=1968+eclipse+stakes&oq=1968+eclipse&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAEYADIECCMQJzIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB46CggjELADEMkDECc6FAgAELADEIoDELcDENQDEOUCEIsDOhEIABCwAxCKAxC3AxDlAhCLAzoCCAA6BggAEAcQHjoHCAAQhwIQFDoCCC46BQgAEMkDOggIABAIEA0QHlCBGFi8TmCvWWgBcAJ4AIABkQGIAfEGkgEDOS4xmAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpesgBCrgBAsABAQ&sclient=gws-wiz

The finish of the 1968 Eclipse
By:
stewarty b
When: 21 Feb 21 18:42
I notice not one old time on course bookie has paid tribute. I'll say no more..
By:
stewarty b
When: 21 Feb 21 18:44
*They know..
By:
workrider
When: 21 Feb 21 18:55
Only barely remember him , I remember him been brokenhearted as Sir Ivor grabbed him near the line, I don't think he ever fully recovered...RIP..
By:
stewarty b
When: 21 Feb 21 18:58
If people knew the truth there would be no RIP's. (nap)
By:
stewarty b
When: 21 Feb 21 19:29
Not one on course bookie...
By:
salmon spray
When: 21 Feb 21 21:47
You can't libel the dead stewarty. So either say something or shut up.
R.I.P Sandy.
By:
acey deucy
When: 21 Feb 21 22:23
Bad form stew.
By:
Andrew.in.Sweden
When: 22 Feb 21 05:15
One of the few reverses Barclay suffered came when he had Derby glory snatched from under his nose as Piggott produced one of his famously powerful Epsom rides on Sir Ivor to touch off hapless Connaught by a length and a half.

A remarkable season ended with Barclay runner-up to Piggott in the jockeys' championship. But though his tally of 116 saw him 23 winners adrift of the `Long Fellow', it was still a magnificent haul from a youngster who had been relatively unheard of 12 months earlier.

However, in October he lost his job with Murless after coming second in the Princess Royal Stakes on odds-on favourite Parmelia.

The trainer said in his biography: "Sandy Barclay appeared just not to have the mentality to make the grade. Perhaps I was a bit hard on him, but he was always turning up late for work and sometimes not coming at all. Then, when he rode a very bad race on Parmelia, I got bloody annoyed and sacked him."

But a lucrative deal was almost immediately secured in France where he was offered a huge annual retainer to ride for Chantilly trainer Francois Boutin.

In a two and half year stint across the Channel he rode more than 150 winners before he became disillusioned and returned to the UK. He suffered a badly broken leg in 1977.

A five-year spell in India saw him win several sub-continent Classics including the Indian Derby and he married Miranda shortly after coming back home in 1983. He finally called it quits in 1990 after a roller-coaster riding career that spanned 26 years.

RIP
By:
posy
When: 22 Feb 21 08:28
Very interesting Andrew though i'd have liked to read what Murless went on to write.
Perhaps SB had too much success too young
By:
paulo47
When: 22 Feb 21 08:44
Yep was at Sandown too in 1968 , backed Sir Ivor (3rd ) and Frankie's dad Lianfranco was second .
By:
paulo47
When: 22 Feb 21 08:46
gianfranco
By:
Andrew.in.Sweden
When: 22 Feb 21 09:07
Posy

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/9780002162968/Guvnor-Biography-Sir-Noel-Murless-0002162962/plp

I tend to agree, a bit like young footballers that attain celebrity status and trappings of success before they are fully grown these days.
He was certainly a decent jockey, that's without question and in an era of some decent ones.
Petulant ? Thought he was invincible ? Who knows and i'm not here to critique him.
One thing i will say is, i doubt he was involved in anything 'iffy' as has been intimated, but i can't be 100% sure of course.
By:
GEORGE.B
When: 22 Feb 21 09:14
R.I.P Sandy

I can't find a link to the 1970 Princess Royal Stakes, it would be interesting to see what exactly provoked Sir Noel's ire.

I haven't a clue what stewy is referring to, but came across this story about a big bet at Lanark racecourse, however there is no suggestion that anything dodgy went on.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12041117.nice-wee-day-at-the-lanark-races-but-by-crikey-the-horse-laugh-was-on-me/
By:
ged
When: 22 Feb 21 09:22
I was at Ascot that day, but I have no memory of the Parmelia race. The only race I remember is Cawston's Pride running away from the field in the Cornwallis.
By:
penzance
When: 22 Feb 21 09:24
some woman asked about him on a forum,seemed
to think he had a drink/drugs problem.
RIP.
By:
GEORGE.B
When: 22 Feb 21 09:28
Cheers, ged. I wonder what the form comments said (if there were any).
By:
Andrew.in.Sweden
When: 22 Feb 21 09:39
George

I think the article is erroneous in places.

Scottish Sinbad never won the Coronation Cup as stated.

In 1964 Relko won it and Sandy Barclay didn't become a jockey unti 1965. He won it in 1968 on Royal Palace.
By:
ged
When: 22 Feb 21 09:44
Scottish Sinbad ran in the Lanark Silver Bell in 1968, but was ridden by Geoff Oldroyd. Barclay was at Sandown that day. The horse had won its previous race, but it was a Brighton handicap, ridden by Ron Hutchinson.
By:
GEORGE.B
When: 22 Feb 21 09:47
Thanks Andrew, I did wonder about the date and whether it was a bit early for Barclay.

I'll have to get my fact checkers on the case before posting such articles in future!
By:
GEORGE.B
When: 22 Feb 21 09:50
Thanks for correcting the article, ged.
By:
Andrew.in.Sweden
When: 22 Feb 21 09:58
No worries George. I was curious simply because i haven't heard anything iffy about Sandy Barclay.

From 1967 (Wiki)

Derby also-ran Scottish Sinbad who won a handicap at the same Newcastle meeting where Wolver Hollow was victorious and Queen Anne Stakes runner up Arenaria who was in receipt of ten pounds.

Scottish Sinbad made the running but was closely tracked by Wolver Hollow under a motionless Edward Hide who sent his mount home inside the final furlong to win by a length and a half with Arenaria a further two lengths behind.

Well done GED.
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com