Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
workrider
30 Jan 21 11:27
| Topic/replies: 31,512 | Blogger: workrider's blog
When pronunciation was as easy as one two three, and you didn't need a map to find out were the player was from. Terrible pitches ,heavy ball ,flying tackles hardly any bookings . Football at its best .
Pause Switch to Standard View Big Match Revisited ...
Show More
Report jimnast January 30, 2021 11:35 AM GMT
missed it today workrider who was it ?
Report Deptford January 30, 2021 11:43 AM GMT
Arsenal Stoke, Ipswich Leicester Carlisle Everton, superb.
Report workrider January 30, 2021 11:45 AM GMT
Arsenal v Stoke Frank Stapleton made his debut 1975 , Arsenal near the bottom of the table and in real trouble ended 1-1. Jeff Hurst playing for Stoke I didn't know that . Other games Carlisle beating Everton 3-0  Leic and Ipswich played a 1-1 draw .As usual the pitches were like a swamp...The football brilliant how those guys played such good football in those terrible conditions is beyond me...
Report sparrow January 30, 2021 11:49 AM GMT
Geoff Hurst and Alan Ball on opposite sides in that Arsenal v Stoke match.
Report workrider January 30, 2021 11:50 AM GMT
Yes sparrow was Hudson also on the Stoke side that day.
Report sparrow January 30, 2021 11:52 AM GMT
I only watched a little so wouldn't have noticed all of the players.
Report workrider January 30, 2021 11:53 AM GMT
Jimnast don't know if I told you this , myself and Paddy Roche played on the same team at school boy level ,well Frank Stapleton was a couple of years behind us in the same club...
Report Deptford January 30, 2021 12:02 PM GMT
I went to junior and second school with Dave Mehmet!!!!
Report jimnast January 30, 2021 12:05 PM GMT
i didnt know that workrider ,i saw him play many times in the mid 70s,

deptford was it the season carlisle lead the league for a time ?

sparrow you watch all that overseas racing ,by accident i watched a race in dubai the other day what a performance by one ridden by frankie.
Report workrider January 30, 2021 12:06 PM GMT
Ah but did you play football with him, and btw who is he...Laugh
Report Deptford January 30, 2021 12:07 PM GMT
It was Jim, large crowd there, work, he was too good, played for Millwall, believe it or not!!
Report elisjohn January 30, 2021 12:13 PM GMT
was at anfield when paddy roache made his utd debut in a 3-1 win for liverpool, cracking match, souness scored a screamer,( i think it was his debut)
Report sparrow January 30, 2021 12:16 PM GMT
jimnast....I only really watch the American racing on a regular basis.
Report elisjohn January 30, 2021 12:18 PM GMT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bd_qcHv0t0
Report workrider January 30, 2021 12:21 PM GMT
Lovely story about Frank, many considered him a bit of a meanie at the club, he went away to Arsenal,one day he returned to our club who used to have a fund raiser and often players from English clubs would play in Ringsend Park during the season's break though it was very much frond on . I don't think Frank played that day but after going back to the pub for a few drinks he put something in our Manager's pocket saying  thanks for everything have a drink on me, it turned out to be a  check for a huge amount of money .
Report jimnast January 30, 2021 12:26 PM GMT
elisjohn around that time he was letting 3 in each week.

ok sparrow i thought you liked all the overseas stuff.
Report stewarts rise January 30, 2021 12:27 PM GMT
Can you imagine any player talking to the presenter now as forthrightly as Charlie George did to Brian Moore, saying he needed a transfer as manager wouldn't pick him without agents telling players not to speak about it, a great competitive league where every team had stat quality players, Stoke ha a forward line of Conroy, Hudson, Hurst and Greenhoff, they'd be sitting in the stands for Man City now, proper players who wanted to play, not like Micah Richards who got paid a fortune to do nothing at Villa.
Report workrider January 30, 2021 12:33 PM GMT
Thanks Ellsjohn I really enjoyed that , Paddy wasn't at fault for any of the goals I'm glad to say...
Report elisjohn January 30, 2021 12:44 PM GMT
yes stewarts, that stoke team including banks , was a below average 1st div  team , doesnt it prove what a fantastic high standard the league was then, compared to now
Report jimnast January 30, 2021 12:45 PM GMT
george eastham
Report workrider January 30, 2021 12:58 PM GMT
Conroy was outstanding for Stoke that day at Highbury...
Report mesi January 30, 2021 1:10 PM GMT
One of the best programs of the week,really look forward to it.Why are the pitches much better now,is it just down to the groundsman
Report CROPSICK January 30, 2021 1:17 PM GMT
love it, proper football and really top class questioning by Brain Moore.
Report workrider January 30, 2021 1:22 PM GMT
Mesi, horticulture has come a long way in 45 years...
Report jimnast January 30, 2021 1:25 PM GMT
its certainly a much better programme than the one than proceeds it.
Report stewarts rise January 30, 2021 1:28 PM GMT
Wales v Belgium 2016 afterwards, what a great game from Wales, most of their players hardly play now
Report the wire January 30, 2021 2:07 PM GMT
Charlie George's comment after watching the old footage of Arsenal's win at Palace struck me.  He said that he thought he was on the bench that day but he was cheering their goals.  Until I read Eamon Dunphy's 'It's only a game' I had never considered that the players who had not been picked might want their team to get beat and whoever had taken their place in the team should have a nightmare.
Report workrider January 30, 2021 2:20 PM GMT
Charlie was a confident young lad back in the day , hand on heart do i think he was cheering them on when they scored, the answer is no. A rye smile maybe but a cheer no way. He was a smashing player and my Father thought he was brilliant, he used to bring me to see Len can't think of his second name but he won a Lonsdale belt and had a pub on Islington high street . My Dad loved his Arsenal...
Report jimnast January 30, 2021 2:31 PM GMT
len harvey workrider ?
Report jimnast January 30, 2021 2:33 PM GMT
charlie george probably the most famous celebration when scoring in the cup final.
Report workrider January 30, 2021 2:45 PM GMT
Yes Jimnast well done, he was fairly old or appeared to be to this whipper snapper , him and my Dad got on great, sadly my Father dropped dead around the corner near the Angel tube station...
Report jimnast January 30, 2021 2:47 PM GMT
he was champion in the 30s ,did you live in london for a time then ?
Report workrider January 30, 2021 2:54 PM GMT
Tottenham for 7 years...
Report jimnast January 30, 2021 3:18 PM GMT
its a great city workrider
Report jimnast January 30, 2021 3:19 PM GMT
i remember the first time i met you at fontwell you had been to watch spurs the night before.
Report hunt lunt and cunningham January 30, 2021 3:25 PM GMT
Charlie George did that celebration first against Man City away earlier that season
Report workrider January 30, 2021 3:33 PM GMT
Thats right Jimnast , my team Shamrock Rovers drew Spurs in Europe , I couldn't believe it when we drew them and thought I'd died and gone to heaven when we went 1-0 up Laugh .Both my Sons were with me that night a truly magical night, if you get a chance and have a look on Youtube the night Rovers came to London. Harry Kane made his debut against us for Spurs in Dublin...As an aside I didn't back a winner that day at Fontwell...
Report jimnast January 30, 2021 3:46 PM GMT
i am sure harry kane will have fond memories of that night he made his debut.

never knew that hunt just presumed it was a one off.
Report jimnast January 30, 2021 3:48 PM GMT
what area of ireland do the kennerdy brothers come from workrider they have very distinctive accents.
Report workrider January 30, 2021 3:51 PM GMT
Amazingly Ronaldo also made his debut for Real Madrid against us , they beat us 1-0 Benzema scored...
Report jimnast January 30, 2021 3:53 PM GMT
that is amazing i am compiling a quiz tonight those two are going in as a single question.
Report jimnast January 30, 2021 3:53 PM GMT
just to be clear which ronaldo ?
Report workrider January 30, 2021 3:56 PM GMT
The one that played for Man Utd...
Report jimnast January 30, 2021 3:57 PM GMT
i thought so
Report workrider January 30, 2021 3:57 PM GMT
Nobody ever gets the answer , I have asked that question many times .
Report jimnast January 30, 2021 4:00 PM GMT
an important factor about doing a quiz is people remember some of the questions that they found interesting and that is one,whilst there are some good football people in it i doubt they would get that.
Report workrider January 30, 2021 4:06 PM GMT
I'd be interested to know if anyone does get it , if they do check their phones..Laugh
Report jimnast January 30, 2021 4:13 PM GMT
i will let you know,did you see my question about jack and paddy kennedy ?
Report workrider January 30, 2021 4:17 PM GMT
No what was it..
Report jimnast January 30, 2021 4:24 PM GMT
which area are they from there accents are very strong
Report SeeMoreBusiness January 30, 2021 4:29 PM GMT
I went to that Carlisle v Everton game. Took about a month on the train from Lime Street. Unbelievably Everton (with a rubbish team) nearly won the League that year. They finished 3 points behind Derby (who, famously) won it when they were by a swimming pool in Spain. Carlisle were putrid for most of the season but did the double over Everton, including an amazing 3-2 win at Goodison in December. Everyone was spanking them at the time. Had we beaten them twice, as many did, we'd have been champions. As you gazed out of the stand Brunton Park you could see sheep grazing on meadows! Quite a culture shock from Goodison.
Report stewarts rise January 30, 2021 4:30 PM GMT
Had no idea WBA V FULHAM live on BBC now.
Report jimnast January 30, 2021 4:36 PM GMT
the old punter alex bird had a big touch on derby that season seemore
Report workrider January 30, 2021 4:37 PM GMT
Kerry..
Report jimnast January 30, 2021 4:44 PM GMT
thanks workrider
Report SeeMoreBusiness January 30, 2021 5:06 PM GMT
I became a (temporary) Derby fan at the end of that season Jimnast. They pipped Liverpool! I still lived in Liverpool then , though at Uni in Brum in term time, and the (funny/decent) stick the two sets of fans gave each other was too much to bear sometimes. Great fun but I remember crying a few season earlier when The Dogs beat us 2-1 at Old Trafford in the semi final of the cup. I was 14 at the time.
Report jimnast January 30, 2021 5:26 PM GMT
that would be the game alan ball scored early on,arsenal won the double,i remember getting beat at norwich in a league cup semi final in 75 and do you know i have only just forgiven them.

77 semi final at maine road you were robbed of a trip to wembly.
Report SeeMoreBusiness January 30, 2021 5:45 PM GMT
oh jimnast.I feel your pain. Yes Ball scored after 6 or 7 mins and we were set fair. Alun Evans and John Toshack.  We never recovered from that defeat and the team split up fairly soon afterwards.   Yes, Brian Hamilton. Clive Thomas disallowed his winning goal. He was prevented ( I think) from reffing an Everton game at Goodison for years. When he did come to us he was booed by the entire ground for 3 or 4 minutes when he came on the pitch. Everton kicked off, lobbed the ball into the box, their centre half brushed our forward and he gave a penalty. The most d1shonest ref there ever was and the only man I ever heard my dad use the word "f**king" about.
Report jimnast January 30, 2021 6:02 PM GMT
he disallowed a world cup goal he blew the whistle after a player rose in the air from a corner as the ball came of his head he blew the ball then hit the net ,i think it was sweeden against brazil
Report SeeMoreBusiness January 30, 2021 7:13 PM GMT
and that was the incident that caused my dad's incendiary reaction!! What fun it is to recall these things. the convention than, and still now I think, is to allow an end to a set piece before blowing the whistle. But that arrogant sob. Blimey Jimnast we could have a good yack about footy in those days if we met. As we would no doubt about the nags. Do you go? South, North? Be fun to have a gargle if we ever get back. Good luck chap
Report jimnast January 30, 2021 7:20 PM GMT
what an amazing coincidence that is.

i go racing everywhere both in the uk and ireland ,i dont go to goodwood or salisbury anymore but anywhere else yes distance does not bother me,it would be good to have a yack ,and we will of course be back,good luck to you also.
Report jimnast January 30, 2021 7:24 PM GMT
just one more thing as i am doing a quiz tonight ,i did see everton in a cup final at old trafford it was an fantastic game for a neutral i am sure you will know which game.

take care
Report SeeMoreBusiness January 30, 2021 7:51 PM GMT
Everton v Villa. League Cup. 2nd replay. 3-2 .We equalised in the last minute and Chris Nichol scored in extra time from my mum's front room. I went to all of those games. 1st replay was at Hillsborough. I hitched from Brum with no hope of getting back. Still on the road at about 3 am. That went to extra time too. I was nuts on the game then. I am a member of Sandown, Epsom, Goodwood, Cheltenham and Newmarket. Let me know when you go. You'll easily recognise me. The plug ugly guy with a panama hat and a glass of fizz, or a cap and glass of hot whisky!
Report flukes January 31, 2021 12:07 AM GMT
Big Match Revisited is a great watch; no pundits, analysts or co-commentators, just Brian Moore as solo commentator. Think of the cost savings to the viewer today if Sky and BT got rid of all the hot air merchants they employ to fill airtime. Today it was Arsenal v Stoke, hardly a blade of grass in sight and Brian relayed that Arsenal were missing John Radford as he had a cold Grin
Report adamski January 31, 2021 8:11 AM GMT
It's like a breath of fresh air compared to the dross we're served up with today. What a great free kick for Carlisle's second goal, Dai Davies never saw it Happy
Report workrider January 31, 2021 1:47 PM GMT
Adamski, do you remember that famous free kick from a Coventry player that used to grace the Match of the Day intro.
Report jimnast January 31, 2021 1:54 PM GMT
ernie hunt and willie carr against everton ,shortly afterwards it was outlawed.
Report ged January 31, 2021 1:56 PM GMT
my cousin was playing for Coventry that day.
Report stewarts rise January 31, 2021 2:00 PM GMT
Who was that ged?
Report jimnast January 31, 2021 2:01 PM GMT
anybody remember what they called the move ?
Report ged January 31, 2021 2:02 PM GMT
John O'Rourke - he was one of their main strikers, though he was just a distraction for that play.
Report stewarts rise January 31, 2021 2:10 PM GMT
Do you know what else was a first for that goal?
Report stewarts rise January 31, 2021 2:12 PM GMT
The,donkey kick wasn't it jimnast.
Report stewarts rise January 31, 2021 2:13 PM GMT
Can't recall JohnO'Rourke at all unfortunately ged, did he play much for them?
Report jimnast January 31, 2021 2:14 PM GMT
thats correct stewarts
Report stewarts rise January 31, 2021 2:15 PM GMT
Must say I've never seen a donkey do that!
Report jimnast January 31, 2021 2:16 PM GMT
i think even everton fans would agree one of the most entertaining things ever seen in english football the ruling bodies could not get it banned quick enough,move on almost 50 years the ruling bodies still doing there best to spoil the game.
Report stewarts rise January 31, 2021 2:17 PM GMT
Ernie Hunt was a character, always seemed to have a beer belly but was a good player, think he became a window cleaner after he packed up
Report stewarts rise January 31, 2021 2:19 PM GMT
Hunt said they first tried it in a friendly against Blackpool but he volleyed it into the clock!
Report jimnast January 31, 2021 2:20 PM GMT
most of the players back then had jobs like that even when they were playing to boost there wages,cant imagine this lot up a ladder.
Report ged January 31, 2021 2:23 PM GMT
stewarts - he struggled a bit in Div 1, though he did score 17 goals for them. He scored more on the way up for Luton, Middlesboro and Ipswich. Still holds the goals per game record at Luton, even though Malcolm Macdonald played there after him.
Report stewarts rise January 31, 2021 2:29 PM GMT
Sounds like he had a decent career ged, fair play to him.
Report jimnast January 31, 2021 2:31 PM GMT
ged was souness at middlesboro with him ?
Report stewarts rise January 31, 2021 2:33 PM GMT
Remember a journalist in a write up of a match describing Ernie Hunt patrolling the midfield like a Bald, overweight Chicago cop patrolling his neibourhood. Rather unfair as was a good player in his own right.
Report ged January 31, 2021 2:35 PM GMT
jimnast - no, he helped get them promotion from Div 3 to Div 2 (got a hat-trick in the last game of the season - against Ron Atkinson at half-back - Ron at the end of his career - much too slow to coipe with John), then left them half-way through the next season.
Report jimnast January 31, 2021 2:35 PM GMT
stewarts the journo would be in big trouble if he dared say that about a premier league footballer now.
Report jimnast January 31, 2021 2:37 PM GMT
thanks ged i should think ron had some face on him at the final whistle that day.
Report workrider January 31, 2021 2:44 PM GMT
Jimnast did anyone get the Rovers question right last night ?
Report stewarts rise January 31, 2021 2:49 PM GMT
Can't find the question workrider?
Report jimnast January 31, 2021 2:49 PM GMT
no workrider but they liked the question and will go to work tomorrow and ask others,which is what you want from a quiz.
Report workrider January 31, 2021 3:03 PM GMT
Told ya, a great question.
Report jimnast January 31, 2021 3:35 PM GMT
it must have been a bit of a culture shook for ronaldo marching out at shamrock rovers.
Report workrider January 31, 2021 4:00 PM GMT
Why ? it was the opening game at our new Stadium , I'd say he's played in worse places , Old Trafford springs to mind..Laugh
Report jimnast January 31, 2021 4:04 PM GMT
LaughLaugh
Report adamski January 31, 2021 5:28 PM GMT
Remember it well workrider. Presumably it was outlawed because of 2 touches jimnast? If you look at West Ham v Wolves in 1974 on youtube Trevor Brooking flicks one up in the air but only with 1 foot for Frank Lampard to half volley home for West Ham's 3rd.
The Good Old Days Grin
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com