Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
workrider
30 Jan 21 11:27
| Topic/replies: 31,731 | Blogger: workrider's blog
When pronunciation was as easy as one two three, and you didn't need a map to find out were the player was from. Terrible pitches ,heavy ball ,flying tackles hardly any bookings . Football at its best .

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 95
By:
jimnast
When: 30 Jan 21 11:35
missed it today workrider who was it ?
By:
Deptford
When: 30 Jan 21 11:43
Arsenal Stoke, Ipswich Leicester Carlisle Everton, superb.
By:
workrider
When: 30 Jan 21 11:45
Arsenal v Stoke Frank Stapleton made his debut 1975 , Arsenal near the bottom of the table and in real trouble ended 1-1. Jeff Hurst playing for Stoke I didn't know that . Other games Carlisle beating Everton 3-0  Leic and Ipswich played a 1-1 draw .As usual the pitches were like a swamp...The football brilliant how those guys played such good football in those terrible conditions is beyond me...
By:
sparrow
When: 30 Jan 21 11:49
Geoff Hurst and Alan Ball on opposite sides in that Arsenal v Stoke match.
By:
workrider
When: 30 Jan 21 11:50
Yes sparrow was Hudson also on the Stoke side that day.
By:
sparrow
When: 30 Jan 21 11:52
I only watched a little so wouldn't have noticed all of the players.
By:
workrider
When: 30 Jan 21 11:53
Jimnast don't know if I told you this , myself and Paddy Roche played on the same team at school boy level ,well Frank Stapleton was a couple of years behind us in the same club...
By:
Deptford
When: 30 Jan 21 12:02
I went to junior and second school with Dave Mehmet!!!!
By:
jimnast
When: 30 Jan 21 12:05
i didnt know that workrider ,i saw him play many times in the mid 70s,

deptford was it the season carlisle lead the league for a time ?

sparrow you watch all that overseas racing ,by accident i watched a race in dubai the other day what a performance by one ridden by frankie.
By:
workrider
When: 30 Jan 21 12:06
Ah but did you play football with him, and btw who is he...Laugh
By:
Deptford
When: 30 Jan 21 12:07
It was Jim, large crowd there, work, he was too good, played for Millwall, believe it or not!!
By:
elisjohn
When: 30 Jan 21 12:13
was at anfield when paddy roache made his utd debut in a 3-1 win for liverpool, cracking match, souness scored a screamer,( i think it was his debut)
By:
sparrow
When: 30 Jan 21 12:16
jimnast....I only really watch the American racing on a regular basis.
By:
elisjohn
When: 30 Jan 21 12:18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bd_qcHv0t0
By:
workrider
When: 30 Jan 21 12:21
Lovely story about Frank, many considered him a bit of a meanie at the club, he went away to Arsenal,one day he returned to our club who used to have a fund raiser and often players from English clubs would play in Ringsend Park during the season's break though it was very much frond on . I don't think Frank played that day but after going back to the pub for a few drinks he put something in our Manager's pocket saying  thanks for everything have a drink on me, it turned out to be a  check for a huge amount of money .
By:
jimnast
When: 30 Jan 21 12:26
elisjohn around that time he was letting 3 in each week.

ok sparrow i thought you liked all the overseas stuff.
By:
stewarts rise
When: 30 Jan 21 12:27
Can you imagine any player talking to the presenter now as forthrightly as Charlie George did to Brian Moore, saying he needed a transfer as manager wouldn't pick him without agents telling players not to speak about it, a great competitive league where every team had stat quality players, Stoke ha a forward line of Conroy, Hudson, Hurst and Greenhoff, they'd be sitting in the stands for Man City now, proper players who wanted to play, not like Micah Richards who got paid a fortune to do nothing at Villa.
By:
workrider
When: 30 Jan 21 12:33
Thanks Ellsjohn I really enjoyed that , Paddy wasn't at fault for any of the goals I'm glad to say...
By:
elisjohn
When: 30 Jan 21 12:44
yes stewarts, that stoke team including banks , was a below average 1st div  team , doesnt it prove what a fantastic high standard the league was then, compared to now
By:
jimnast
When: 30 Jan 21 12:45
george eastham
By:
workrider
When: 30 Jan 21 12:58
Conroy was outstanding for Stoke that day at Highbury...
By:
mesi
When: 30 Jan 21 13:10
One of the best programs of the week,really look forward to it.Why are the pitches much better now,is it just down to the groundsman
By:
CROPSICK
When: 30 Jan 21 13:17
love it, proper football and really top class questioning by Brain Moore.
By:
workrider
When: 30 Jan 21 13:22
Mesi, horticulture has come a long way in 45 years...
By:
jimnast
When: 30 Jan 21 13:25
its certainly a much better programme than the one than proceeds it.
By:
stewarts rise
When: 30 Jan 21 13:28
Wales v Belgium 2016 afterwards, what a great game from Wales, most of their players hardly play now
By:
the wire
When: 30 Jan 21 14:07
Charlie George's comment after watching the old footage of Arsenal's win at Palace struck me.  He said that he thought he was on the bench that day but he was cheering their goals.  Until I read Eamon Dunphy's 'It's only a game' I had never considered that the players who had not been picked might want their team to get beat and whoever had taken their place in the team should have a nightmare.
By:
workrider
When: 30 Jan 21 14:20
Charlie was a confident young lad back in the day , hand on heart do i think he was cheering them on when they scored, the answer is no. A rye smile maybe but a cheer no way. He was a smashing player and my Father thought he was brilliant, he used to bring me to see Len can't think of his second name but he won a Lonsdale belt and had a pub on Islington high street . My Dad loved his Arsenal...
By:
jimnast
When: 30 Jan 21 14:31
len harvey workrider ?
By:
jimnast
When: 30 Jan 21 14:33
charlie george probably the most famous celebration when scoring in the cup final.
By:
workrider
When: 30 Jan 21 14:45
Yes Jimnast well done, he was fairly old or appeared to be to this whipper snapper , him and my Dad got on great, sadly my Father dropped dead around the corner near the Angel tube station...
By:
jimnast
When: 30 Jan 21 14:47
he was champion in the 30s ,did you live in london for a time then ?
By:
workrider
When: 30 Jan 21 14:54
Tottenham for 7 years...
By:
jimnast
When: 30 Jan 21 15:18
its a great city workrider
By:
jimnast
When: 30 Jan 21 15:19
i remember the first time i met you at fontwell you had been to watch spurs the night before.
By:
hunt lunt and cunningham
When: 30 Jan 21 15:25
Charlie George did that celebration first against Man City away earlier that season
By:
workrider
When: 30 Jan 21 15:33
Thats right Jimnast , my team Shamrock Rovers drew Spurs in Europe , I couldn't believe it when we drew them and thought I'd died and gone to heaven when we went 1-0 up Laugh .Both my Sons were with me that night a truly magical night, if you get a chance and have a look on Youtube the night Rovers came to London. Harry Kane made his debut against us for Spurs in Dublin...As an aside I didn't back a winner that day at Fontwell...
By:
jimnast
When: 30 Jan 21 15:46
i am sure harry kane will have fond memories of that night he made his debut.

never knew that hunt just presumed it was a one off.
By:
jimnast
When: 30 Jan 21 15:48
what area of ireland do the kennerdy brothers come from workrider they have very distinctive accents.
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com