Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
sageform
30 Dec 20 13:06
| Topic/replies: 19,981 | Blogger: sageform's blog
I was surprised to see that Cheltenham has been abandoned for Friday already. One of the best drained tracks in the country. Are they avoiding damage to the course this close to March?
Pause Switch to Standard View Cheltenham off
Show More
Report longbridge December 30, 2020 12:30 PM GMT
https://community.betfair.com/horse_racing/go/thread/view/94102/31682491/che...
Report sixtwosix December 30, 2020 12:51 PM GMT
Saw they were inspecting 2 days early.......not exactly promising.
Report sageform December 30, 2020 1:09 PM GMT
True reg but it would not be the first time a track has been protected like that. This meeting could have been in doubt but I suppose it was easier to call it off than spend more money on preparations.
Report geoff m December 30, 2020 1:26 PM GMT
Sage. I dont reckon it drains 1/2 as well as it used to 5 plus years ago. Whether it has gradually silted up over time dont know.
Report loper December 30, 2020 1:57 PM GMT
Its the ultimate undulating course. It can be firm and soft on different parts of the course on the same day.

The 2nd last is one of the lowest parts of the course. The water from further up the hill all meanders down to that area specifically.
Report parispike December 30, 2020 2:03 PM GMT
I imagine in normal times with the prospect of a 35000 crowd the decision would not have been made quite so early.....
Report jimnast December 30, 2020 2:43 PM GMT
reg its only a one day fixture at the end of january

when this fixture was called of through rain in 2012 they made an early call possibly not 3 days in advance seem to think it was 2 days.
Report Cash Is King December 30, 2020 6:21 PM GMT
The drainage system works too well (as perverse as that may sound in light of this particular abandonment).

Claisse insists on watering both old and new courses during the summer and autumn months because he’s always striving to achieve “safe jumping ground”. As a consequence of the huge volume of water that is applied, particularly to the old course, the water table is always high and it doesn’t take a lot of rain to turn the going very soft or heavy.

On this occasion Cheltenham are unlucky in that a huge volume of rain has fallen in a relatively short space of time on the rain softened new course.
Report parispike December 30, 2020 7:16 PM GMT
As a Cheltenham resident who regularly walks the outside of the course I can confirm that Mr Claisse is an habitual waterer!
Report Fashion Fever December 30, 2020 8:44 PM GMT
shocking they cant rearrange the meeting for next week

would be an afternoon escape for most of us in these times
Report know all December 30, 2020 9:16 PM GMT
if they were allowed a full house of spectators that would be on guaranteed, staff on double time just no worth it
Report ekbalko December 31, 2020 11:54 AM GMT
Cheltenham is in tier 4 so owners can`t go. The staff costs would be minimal if it was on midweek.
Report acey deucy December 31, 2020 2:15 PM GMT
About the only thing i was looking forward to on New Years Day...I dont know what do do now.Sad
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com