Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
geoff m
09 Dec 20 15:08
| Topic/replies: 17,226 | Blogger: geoff m's blog
"If he had ridden normally, there is every reason to think that World Trip would have improved her placing and finished fourth. Instead he rode in a way that brings racing into disrepute.

"In the light of these factors and the facts of the case generally, the panel decided that a suspension of 56 days was warranted."

If every jock was suspended for 56 days for failing to improve their position by 1 place we wouldnt have a sport in 2021
Pause Switch to Standard View Callum Mckinnes suspension World Trip
Show More
Report shoodacoodadidnt December 9, 2020 4:19 PM GMT
Completely agree. What a pointless witch-hunt and says everything about the racing authorities - completely pointed in the wrong direction - get your priorities right - go get top jockeys who fail to ride out for a place every five minutes without a word uttered - what a ridiculous situation. All you need to do is watch a few videos and compare the VIGOUR in various rides in the closing stages to see the triers vs the "saving for another day" rides. Having this slapped all over the RP makes me so angry. I imagine this is intended to show the seriousness of the authorities in stamping out non-trying. For anyone who understands the sport, it just makes them look completely stupid. Sad
Report Poppydog. December 9, 2020 4:31 PM GMT
Betfair SP = 570/1 !!

BHA love smashing into these minnows.

Poor lad has had 15 rides since January.
Video to me shows horse was shaken up at the 5th and was giving it cracks with the whip, coming to the home turn, trying to keep it's momentum.
Report tony6499 December 9, 2020 4:31 PM GMT
Another case of cracking down on a small fish whilst the whales are left alone. The day a big name jockey gets done like this will be the day pigs fly
Report Whippin Piccadilly December 9, 2020 4:31 PM GMT
The horse jumped slowly at a few hurdles and the young lad gave it a few taps of the whip and pushed it along at times. What more did they want to see?

Completely agree with your post Shooda
Report sparrow December 9, 2020 4:32 PM GMT
How has this happened as I posted the results of an enquiry on this matter last month.

"The jockey Callum McKinnes has been given an eight-week suspension under the non-trier rules for a ride described as “absurd” by a disciplinary panel. The 23-year-old said he had panicked when World Trip made “a gargling noise” on the run-in and hung off a true line on her way to finishing fifth in a Hereford novice hurdle last month, but admitted he had lied to the raceday stewards in claiming that a series of erratic movements he made in the saddle were just part of his normal riding style".
Report sparrow December 9, 2020 4:34 PM GMT
Apologies as it's the same story I posted about last month. I submitted the report in full.
Report Poppydog. December 9, 2020 4:38 PM GMT
I reckon so, Sparrow.

It's just that it is the major headline in the online R.Post today for some reason.
Report Whippin Piccadilly December 9, 2020 4:39 PM GMT
What's really "absurd" is throwing the book at a young, inexperienced jockey who was riding a 150/1 shot who jumped slowly at most of its hurdles. Anyone got the names of those on the disciplinary panel?
Report sparrow December 9, 2020 4:41 PM GMT
Talking Horses: jockey gets eight-week ban over 'absurd' World Trip ride.   The Guardian Newspaper.

The jockey Callum McKinnes has been given an eight-week suspension under the non-trier rules for a ride described as “absurd” by a disciplinary panel. The 23-year-old said he had panicked when World Trip made “a gargling noise” on the run-in and hung off a true line on her way to finishing fifth in a Hereford novice hurdle last month, but admitted he had lied to the raceday stewards in claiming that a series of erratic movements he made in the saddle were just part of his normal riding style.

“After the last hurdle in particular, we can only describe some of his actions as absurd,” said Tim Charlton QC, who chaired the panel. McKinnes’s riding had been criticised at length by the British Horseracing Authority’s barrister, Louis Weston, who said over replays of the closing stages: “He starts to make erratic movements with his arms, out of rhythm with the horse. What is he doing?

“He’s jiggling, dancing about. His horse reacts badly to it, for obvious reasons. That is no way to ride a racehorse. And then, as soon as he gets to the line, he rides normally again.”

McKinnes, an inexperienced jockey after only 81 rides, said World Trip made a noise as if having a breathing problem, but said he did not want to pull her up because he felt she was still responding. The panel accepted that part of his evidence in light of a vet’s report saying she had a breathing operation days after the race but was less impressed by his claim that she hung to one side, finding “minimal” evidence in the footage.

“It doesn’t look like my normal riding style,” McKinnes conceded, “but I’ve never been in this situation before, a horse hanging with me and making a noise. You could almost say I panicked a little bit.”

To Weston’s question, “Have you ever seen anyone ride like that before on a racecourse?” the jockey replied that he hadn’t. The barrister pressed on: “Your elbows are coming out like you’re wassailing, what possible purpose is that serving? We see normal-ish riding and then suddenly bounce, bounce, bounce. What are you doing with your head?”

“I’m nodding,” McKinnes replied.

“Why are you nodding?”

“I’m not sure,” responded the jockey, seeming increasingly beleaguered. He described his riding in the race as “this weird style which, I’m not sure where it came from”.

The BHA also pursued a case, unsuccessfully, against World Trip’s trainer, Olly Murphy, but did not offer detail on what motive Murphy might have for wishing the horse to be so ridden. The trainer’s barrister, Graeme McPherson QC, argued there had been no handicapping advantage, as the jockey had reported World Trip’s breathing problem to officials upon dismounting and as a result the handicapper would ignore the Hereford run.

Murphy told the panel he was at the time making a habit of stressing to his younger jockeys that they must push each mount to the line, following a case at Huntingdon where he and the rider Fergus Gregory were punished for what was ruled to be a “schooling” ride given to Rock On Tommy. The trainer insisted he should not have been found in breach that day, but had decided it “wasn’t worth” the trouble of an appeal. The panel decided that on this occasion he was not in breach of any of the rules.

As Murphy watched the Hereford race from his Warwickshire stable, he was represented at the track by his racing manager, Camilla Cotton, who attracted criticism from Weston for misleading the raceday stewards. She agreed she had told them she was happy with the ride and had failed to dissent when asked if that was how McKinnes normally rode.

Before the panel, Cotton accepted that in fact McKinnes’s riding had “totally gone to pot” after the final hurdle. Explaining her evidence on the day, she said: “I found myself in a very awkward position. I work with him on a day to day basis. We’re friends. We travelled to the races together. I should have been truthful.”

Murphy said he would continue to use McKinnes after the jockey completes his suspension. “It was a situation Callum found himself in from the back of the last. He’s got no experience and it was just one of those mistakes that he’s made through having no experience. He is very, very upset.”
Report shoodacoodadidnt December 9, 2020 4:50 PM GMT
Yes, we saw it the first time Sparrow AND commented then too. Even more absurd that the RP are choosing to make it front page headlines today. How about going and asking someone why the 6/5 shot in the 4.20 at Kempton is "out with the washing" ..... I believe a few more punters got their finger burned there than the not in first 4 150/1 shot! Of course, these 'authorities' are really determined to protect punters ..... NOT. I wonder what their priorities REALLY are.
Report Whippin Piccadilly December 9, 2020 4:50 PM GMT
Just googled Tim Charlton QC.....on the Sherry and Brandy, morning, noon & night (NAP)
Report shoodacoodadidnt December 9, 2020 4:59 PM GMT
Timothy Charlton QC
Previously a commercial practitioner with an interest in sports law. A long-time member of the Disciplinary Panel with a comprehensive knowledge of racing and betting.
Report knot in wood December 9, 2020 10:06 PM GMT
Jonjo O'neill was picked up for a alleged non trier last week, i would imagine this will be front page news next week.
Report chavman December 9, 2020 11:07 PM GMT
disgrace.

words escape me.
Report Sergeant Cecil December 9, 2020 11:27 PM GMT

Dec 9, 2020 -- 10:31AM, Poppydog. wrote:

Betfair SP = 570/1 !!BHA love smashing into these minnows.Poor lad has had 15 rides since January. Video to me shows horse was shaken up at the 5th and was giving it cracks with the whip, coming to the home turn, trying to keep it's momentum.

Totally agree, and Murphy cleared of everything. So is the inference that the jockey has pulled a 570/1 shot? For whose benefit?

Report mrcombustible December 10, 2020 7:48 AM GMT
Tim Charlton is ok, he has been on the panel since the Fallon days.

McPherson should not be allowed to appear at these enquiries as there is a clear conflict of interest. I seem to remember he was pulled in over the running of one of his horses and got lenient treatment
Report leif December 13, 2020 1:04 AM GMT
Entered up 1.55 Southwell. Wind- op and tongue tie applied / If it runs well at least connections can say say they facilitated the horse's improved breathing capacity,  tied the tongue down (jockey?) and hoped for the best . worth a squeak at around 40/1 just for sh1ts and giggles.
Report geoff m December 13, 2020 2:00 PM GMT
hcap mark sorted anyway.
Report Poppydog. December 13, 2020 2:09 PM GMT
An almost identical run at Southwell today.

Wonder if David England will get hit with a massive ban?

Out the back, passed a few knackered rage coming to the home turn. Looked very awkward mustering a tiring gallop in the Southwell mud....
... made no further progress in the last 2 furlongs. Finished tired.
Report Poppydog. December 13, 2020 2:11 PM GMT
* knackered rags

(Watching the replay, it is scary how identical the two runs are.... positioning, headway, slow finish)
Report Poppydog. December 13, 2020 2:16 PM GMT
Wow

21st Oct - C4 Novice Hurdle - out the back, passed a few stragglers, finished 5th of 11 beaten 39 Lengths 

13th Dec - C4 Novice Hurdle - out the back, passed a few stragglers, finished 6th of 11 beaten 38 Lengths
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com