Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
grayhawk
26 Nov 20 16:53
| Topic/replies: 27,874 | Blogger: grayhawk's blog
The most dangerous in the UK? ....catches any amount of horses out after coming thundering down that hill at speed ..... off hand can only think of Cheltenhams 2nd last that comes close...
Pause Switch to Standard View Is the 2nd last hurdle at Taunton...
Show More
Report wondersobright November 26, 2020 3:57 PM GMT
you often see steep landings on the chase track in the straight as well, especially 3 out
Report wondersobright November 26, 2020 3:58 PM GMT
I do enjoy the racing around taunton though
Report screaming from beneaththewaves November 26, 2020 4:13 PM GMT
It's right down in a dip. The telly doesn't really capture how sunken that area is - it's so low down that you can't even see it from most places in the stands.

I wonder whether it's like a sump - the point where all the rain drains into - and the landing ground may suffer as a consequence. Look at how Ask Henry only stumbled and fell after the flight, in the second race.

Just guessing, though.
Report grayhawk November 26, 2020 4:40 PM GMT
Yep Wonderso third last fence is tricky as well...

Could be screaming ....haven't yet been to the course but you do get some idea of it when they show the head on.
Report loper November 26, 2020 5:05 PM GMT
THe problem the Taunton groundstaff have is where to position the 2nd last hurdle. Personally, I'm not sure they can have the luxury of two flights in the home straight. But then there is a requirement for a minimum number of flights per mile and I'm not sure where else on the track they have room for an additional hurdle.

As Screaming has posted, the dip is a serious one. Positioning the hurdle on the down slope well before the last hurdle is the ideal spot in terms of distances, but encourages tired horses, who are invariably leaning on their forehand, to dive at the flight and with the slope going away from them they have nowhere to land safely. Positioning the flight on the up slope takes it too close to the last flight. Invariably it sits at the bottom of the dip. This is also problematic as the horses are still on their forehand due to their downhill momentum and find the up slope on the landing side coming up before they can get their landing gear down.

Has always been a problem that has yet to find a solution.
Report Gaze733 November 26, 2020 5:09 PM GMT
Try laying leaders below 1.1 before that hurdle.
Report ItsMeSwaddle November 26, 2020 5:12 PM GMT
Is absolutely loads of room after the last.

Obviously cant have it near the path 1/2F out or dead level with the last chase fence but could hit two in nearer the stands.

2nd last moved on 50-100 yards
Last moved the same.
Report ItsMeSwaddle November 26, 2020 5:13 PM GMT
Fit*
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com