Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Wesdag
25 Nov 20 17:30
| Topic/replies: 16,341 | Blogger: Wesdag's blog
has died according to reports.
Show More
Report sparrow November 25, 2020 4:37 PM GMT
Diego Maradona has died at the age of 60 after suffering a cardiac arrest, according to multiple reports.

The football legend had a heart attack at his home just two weeks after leaving hospital where he underwent surgery on a blot clot in his brain.

Maradona, regarded as one of the greatest footballers of all time, helped Argentina win the World Cup in 1986, the pinnacle of an illustrious career.

He played club football for Boca Juniors, Napoli and Barcelona among others and was adored by millions for his brilliant skills.

Maradona was responsible for the infamous 'Hand of God' that eliminated England from the 1986 tournament.
Report sparrow November 25, 2020 4:38 PM GMT
he Argentine news outlet Clarin broke the news on Wednesday afternoon UK time, describing the news of Maradona's passing as having a 'worldwide impact'.

Soon, tributes were pouring in from all over the world of football.

Maradona left hospital on November 11 just eight days after being admitted for emergency brain surgery.

The iconic former Argentinian footballer was driven away from the private Olivos Clinic just before 6pm on Wednesday as hundreds of fans of photographers tried to get a glimpse of him.

Maradona was hospitalised the previous week and had to have an emergency operation to remove a blood clot from his brain.

Argentinian TV reporters travelling on motorbikes filmed the ambulance carrying him leaving before following the vehicle to transmit every inch of his journey.

His lawyer, Matias Morlahas said that the 60-year-old would continue to receive treatment for alcohol dependency.

Maradona was expected to stay in a house near his older daughters.

Maradona, who won the World Cup with Argentina in 1986 and was the coach of Gimnasia y Esgrima in his home country, had been admitted to hospital on several occasions since his retirement. He almost died of cocaine-induced heart failure in 2000 and underwent years of rehabilitation.

Maradona, who was well known for having a wild lifestyle during and after his playing days, had a gastric bypass operation to lose weight in 2005 and was once more hospitalised two years later for alcohol-induced hepatitis.

He also fell ill at the last World Cup in Russia, where he was filmed passing out in an executive box when Argentina took on and beat Nigeria in Group D.
Report ashleigh November 25, 2020 4:40 PM GMT
heart attack aged 60.
should be remembered as a great footballer and not the hand of god and drug abuse. rip.
Report Wesdag November 25, 2020 4:48 PM GMT
the hand of god bollocks never crosses my mind when i think of maradona - a truly magnificent footballer
Report smirnoff2therescue November 25, 2020 4:49 PM GMT
despite the hand of God - wow now there was a player in his pomp

R.I.P. Diego SadSadSad
Report sixtwosix November 25, 2020 4:50 PM GMT
Wow ....has to be the greatest player in my lifetime , only saw the tail end of Pele's career.

His performances in the 86 World Cup have not been bettered in my opinion.

RIP Diego
Report Wesdag November 25, 2020 4:52 PM GMT
The documentary film Diego Maradona is well worth a watch to see how great he was.
Report sixtwosix November 25, 2020 4:54 PM GMT
As for the 'hand of god' goal(which I have signed by Shilts)....it was irrelevant.

Sir Bobby was very negative and only when we were 2 nil down did we stop playing as if already beaten.
Report tobermory November 25, 2020 5:04 PM GMT
^
that's true, playing not to lose. The 1st half was very dull.

Barnes was put on at 0-2 and the Argentina defence could not get near him
Report 11kv November 25, 2020 5:11 PM GMT
Best player ever to grace the turf imo,saw him in the flesh at Ossies testimonial pure genius..
Report Wesdag November 25, 2020 5:12 PM GMT
^ same here, 1986 just before the world cup
Report geoff m November 25, 2020 5:20 PM GMT
Legend of the game. Fabulous player.

But still canna forgive him .
Report 11kv November 25, 2020 5:22 PM GMT

Spurs v Inter
Report glentoby November 25, 2020 5:30 PM GMT
Wasn't one of the greatest footballers........he was the greatest.
Report harry callaghan November 25, 2020 5:32 PM GMT
Arguably the most skilful player of all time...people will always talk of his World Cup achievements but to watch him play at Barcelona was some of the best stuff you will ever see on a football field. A true master of his profession
Report isleham November 25, 2020 5:33 PM GMT
pele, di stefano, puskas ??
Report 11kv November 25, 2020 5:33 PM GMT
Different times different player....
Report glentoby November 25, 2020 5:35 PM GMT
I had the privelege to play "Keepy Upy" with him before the game between Cagliari and Napoli in the semi final of the Coppa Italia and have never seen a solo performance by any player to match him,before or since and probably never will.
Report jimnast November 25, 2020 5:40 PM GMT
15 years to the day since george best died
Report geoff m November 25, 2020 5:45 PM GMT
time flies Jimnast would have guessed 9 or 10.
Report pablo-fanque November 25, 2020 5:45 PM GMT
I had the privelege to play "Keepy Upy" with him before the game between Cagliari and Napoli in the semi final of the Coppa Italia and have never seen a solo performance by any player to match him,before or since and probably never will

got a photo of that GT ?
Report sparrow November 25, 2020 5:47 PM GMT
Best of all time normally means the years that the poster can recall. Very few people will select great players of years before they were born.
Report jimnast November 25, 2020 5:51 PM GMT
it does indeed geoff whats even worse is the older you get the quicker it flies Sad
Report glentoby November 25, 2020 5:51 PM GMT
I don,t Pablo although probably a few taken,myself and half a dozen Carabinieri Officers messing around.
Report dustybin November 25, 2020 5:52 PM GMT
Wesdag • November 25, 2020 4:48 PM GMT
the hand of god bollocks never crosses my mind when i think of maradona - a truly magnificent footballer

Fckin does me
1. Cheat
2. Off his tits
£. Great Player
Report dustybin November 25, 2020 5:52 PM GMT
Report jamesdean November 25, 2020 5:57 PM GMT

Nov 25, 2020 -- 6:35PM, glentoby wrote:

I had the privelege to play "Keepy Upy" with him before the game between Cagliari and Napoli in the semi final of the Coppa Italia and have never seen a solo performance by any player to match him,before or since and probably never will.

Is it true, maradona asked you for your autograph that day, glentoby?

Report sparrow November 25, 2020 5:58 PM GMT
Laugh
Report glentoby November 25, 2020 6:01 PM GMT
All I could add to what I said would be that he would pass the ball to the Napoli defenders and by the time they received the pass he would be in Cagliari's half waiting for a return,it was thus throughout the game and he never stopped despite it being a fairly run of the mill competition for Napoli.
Report glentoby November 25, 2020 6:02 PM GMT
Facts seem to breed envy?Sad
Report jamesdean November 25, 2020 6:04 PM GMT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7ZjU-6iSwk
Report jamesdean November 25, 2020 6:12 PM GMT
Maradona doing keepie ups before kick off against bayern munich  1989 uefa cup
Report jamesdean November 25, 2020 6:15 PM GMT
Practicing the moves he learnt from glen the previous week in Cagliari

Laugh

only messing glen, great stuff if true
Report glentoby November 25, 2020 6:17 PM GMT
There may well exist photos of the Cagliari game but not inside the stadium,we were in a metal wire cage with only Diego and us about an hour before kick off,maybe a photo will come to light now?
Report dustybin November 25, 2020 6:21 PM GMT
Could you imagine Diago going off like that before a league match in England during the 80's?

As soon as the whistle blew KO 10 outfield players would have slid straight through him putting pins in his legs.
Report glentoby November 25, 2020 6:22 PM GMT
Btw Jamesdean,around that time I was playing in the middle of Cagliari against the Carabinieri on a clay/shingle pitch when someone booted the ball over the fence surround.One of the Carabinieri was laughing fit to drop until he realised the alarm going off was HIS car and the ball had landed on and cracked his windscreen.

Posted about this over a decade ago,without mentioning Diego Armando btw.
Report mecca November 25, 2020 7:00 PM GMT
If I had had a kickabout with some Italian coppers and Diego Maradona in the '80s......... I would've only told folk about the coppers as well ....

Only kidding ,pal... fair play to you
Report jamesdean November 25, 2020 7:00 PM GMT
Plenty tried in Italy and Spain dusty, most cdnt get close enough to him to do any damage. He was on the end of some horror tackles though

Mustve been some day, glen. There's no doubt video footage somewhere
Report sparrow November 25, 2020 7:05 PM GMT
jamesdean 25 Nov 20 20:00 
Plenty tried in Italy and Spain dusty, most cdnt get close enough to him to do any damage. He was on the end of some horror tackles though

You should have seen Pele kicked out of the 66 World Cup as well.
Report glentoby November 25, 2020 7:09 PM GMT
I hope so James,it would be something to look back on.Canvassing friends still alive to see if anyone has anything.What I can tell you is that it was the first match I ever took my daughter to see and the stadium was hardly filled,after the game we went to Zum Loweneck bar in Quartu and everyone seemed exited by how well Cagliari had performed.

Met a colleague at the bar and ordered a couple of Sambuca (long before the UK ever heard of it)Dieter the owner put in the coffee beans and lit the contents.My colleague was so busy discussing the game he raised the still flaming glass to drink and it literally melted his lips.
Report harry callaghan November 25, 2020 8:08 PM GMT
Tribute on sky tonight at 10
Report Movewiththetimes November 25, 2020 10:57 PM GMT
RIP to pure talent but never got the 1986 goal was voted goal of the century, only England could let him run 60 yards without a tackle, imagine Franz beckenbauer not putting a tackle in or Bobby Moore.
Report smirnoff2therescue November 25, 2020 11:35 PM GMT
Diego doc mentioned earlier on here is pn More4 about 1-1.30 am and then  no doubt on catchup thereafter - well worth a watch just to see how mad he and his life was in Naples

Also heard a clip from Lineker earlier on this evening when he played a half a game with him in a rest of world team and him talking about his obscene skills - on walking out to start the game Maradonna played keepy up all way to centre circle - nowt obscene about that but then he peoceeded to belt the ball some 30 yds up in the air and when it came back down proceeded to belt it straight back up in air anutha 13 times b4 losing control- Lineker said he had seen nothing like it and when he got back to Barca all the players had various attempts to carry off this skill and best anyone cud do was 3 attempts b4 failing miserably .

Loadsa England fans will never forgive him but if shoe had been on other foot whoeva had done it for us wuda been lauded for getting away with it

Atrue great whatever his flaws and no one can ever take that away from him
Report tobermory November 26, 2020 6:22 AM GMT
he peoceeded to belt the ball some 30 yds up in the air and when it came back down proceeded to belt it straight back up in air anutha 13 times b4 losing control

I read about that years ago. Platini was there for that ROW game (1987) and he tried it and could only do 2.
Report dustybin November 26, 2020 8:30 AM GMT
A scotch icon died yesterday...sorry about that.

Scotland got further pain ahead...not sorry.
Report Wesdag November 28, 2020 11:32 AM GMT
Diego Maradona film documentary on CH4 9.30 tonight.

An absorbing watch.
Report jamesdean November 28, 2020 11:52 AM GMT
he peoceeded to belt the ball some 30 yds up in the air and when it came back down proceeded to belt it straight back up in air anutha 13 times b4 losing control

There's footage of him doing this with a TENNIS ball from just a few years back

heres some footage of him jugging a golf ball and rubix cube in his later years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uhS2qX5-xQ
Report jamesdean November 28, 2020 11:54 AM GMT
In fact it was a fking GOLF ball as well, watch link from 45 seconds in...he does keepy ups with a golf ball high in the air off the back of his heel Laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uhS2qX5-xQ
Report jamesdean November 28, 2020 11:55 AM GMT
30 secs in
Report Wesdag November 28, 2020 12:37 PM GMT
Crazy skills.

Ah, but what about that handball the seethers will continue to bleat?

Cry
Report jamesdean November 28, 2020 12:58 PM GMT
VAR wdve let the handball stand Devil
Report Wesdag November 28, 2020 1:03 PM GMT
Laugh
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com