Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Wesdag
25 Nov 20 17:30
| Topic/replies: 16,590 | Blogger: Wesdag's blog
has died according to reports.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 52
By:
sparrow
When: 25 Nov 20 17:37
Diego Maradona has died at the age of 60 after suffering a cardiac arrest, according to multiple reports.

The football legend had a heart attack at his home just two weeks after leaving hospital where he underwent surgery on a blot clot in his brain.

Maradona, regarded as one of the greatest footballers of all time, helped Argentina win the World Cup in 1986, the pinnacle of an illustrious career.

He played club football for Boca Juniors, Napoli and Barcelona among others and was adored by millions for his brilliant skills.

Maradona was responsible for the infamous 'Hand of God' that eliminated England from the 1986 tournament.
By:
sparrow
When: 25 Nov 20 17:38
he Argentine news outlet Clarin broke the news on Wednesday afternoon UK time, describing the news of Maradona's passing as having a 'worldwide impact'.

Soon, tributes were pouring in from all over the world of football.

Maradona left hospital on November 11 just eight days after being admitted for emergency brain surgery.

The iconic former Argentinian footballer was driven away from the private Olivos Clinic just before 6pm on Wednesday as hundreds of fans of photographers tried to get a glimpse of him.

Maradona was hospitalised the previous week and had to have an emergency operation to remove a blood clot from his brain.

Argentinian TV reporters travelling on motorbikes filmed the ambulance carrying him leaving before following the vehicle to transmit every inch of his journey.

His lawyer, Matias Morlahas said that the 60-year-old would continue to receive treatment for alcohol dependency.

Maradona was expected to stay in a house near his older daughters.

Maradona, who won the World Cup with Argentina in 1986 and was the coach of Gimnasia y Esgrima in his home country, had been admitted to hospital on several occasions since his retirement. He almost died of cocaine-induced heart failure in 2000 and underwent years of rehabilitation.

Maradona, who was well known for having a wild lifestyle during and after his playing days, had a gastric bypass operation to lose weight in 2005 and was once more hospitalised two years later for alcohol-induced hepatitis.

He also fell ill at the last World Cup in Russia, where he was filmed passing out in an executive box when Argentina took on and beat Nigeria in Group D.
By:
ashleigh
When: 25 Nov 20 17:40
heart attack aged 60.
should be remembered as a great footballer and not the hand of god and drug abuse. rip.
By:
Wesdag
When: 25 Nov 20 17:48
the hand of god bollocks never crosses my mind when i think of maradona - a truly magnificent footballer
By:
smirnoff2therescue
When: 25 Nov 20 17:49
despite the hand of God - wow now there was a player in his pomp

R.I.P. Diego SadSadSad
By:
sixtwosix
When: 25 Nov 20 17:50
Wow ....has to be the greatest player in my lifetime , only saw the tail end of Pele's career.

His performances in the 86 World Cup have not been bettered in my opinion.

RIP Diego
By:
Wesdag
When: 25 Nov 20 17:52
The documentary film Diego Maradona is well worth a watch to see how great he was.
By:
sixtwosix
When: 25 Nov 20 17:54
As for the 'hand of god' goal(which I have signed by Shilts)....it was irrelevant.

Sir Bobby was very negative and only when we were 2 nil down did we stop playing as if already beaten.
By:
tobermory
When: 25 Nov 20 18:04
^
that's true, playing not to lose. The 1st half was very dull.

Barnes was put on at 0-2 and the Argentina defence could not get near him
By:
11kv
When: 25 Nov 20 18:11
Best player ever to grace the turf imo,saw him in the flesh at Ossies testimonial pure genius..
By:
Wesdag
When: 25 Nov 20 18:12
^ same here, 1986 just before the world cup
By:
geoff m
When: 25 Nov 20 18:20
Legend of the game. Fabulous player.

But still canna forgive him .
By:
11kv
When: 25 Nov 20 18:22

Spurs v Inter
By:
glentoby
When: 25 Nov 20 18:30
Wasn't one of the greatest footballers........he was the greatest.
By:
harry callaghan
When: 25 Nov 20 18:32
Arguably the most skilful player of all time...people will always talk of his World Cup achievements but to watch him play at Barcelona was some of the best stuff you will ever see on a football field. A true master of his profession
By:
isleham
When: 25 Nov 20 18:33
pele, di stefano, puskas ??
By:
11kv
When: 25 Nov 20 18:33
Different times different player....
By:
glentoby
When: 25 Nov 20 18:35
I had the privelege to play "Keepy Upy" with him before the game between Cagliari and Napoli in the semi final of the Coppa Italia and have never seen a solo performance by any player to match him,before or since and probably never will.
By:
jimnast
When: 25 Nov 20 18:40
15 years to the day since george best died
By:
geoff m
When: 25 Nov 20 18:45
time flies Jimnast would have guessed 9 or 10.
By:
pablo-fanque
When: 25 Nov 20 18:45
I had the privelege to play "Keepy Upy" with him before the game between Cagliari and Napoli in the semi final of the Coppa Italia and have never seen a solo performance by any player to match him,before or since and probably never will

got a photo of that GT ?
By:
sparrow
When: 25 Nov 20 18:47
Best of all time normally means the years that the poster can recall. Very few people will select great players of years before they were born.
By:
jimnast
When: 25 Nov 20 18:51
it does indeed geoff whats even worse is the older you get the quicker it flies Sad
By:
glentoby
When: 25 Nov 20 18:51
I don,t Pablo although probably a few taken,myself and half a dozen Carabinieri Officers messing around.
By:
dustybin
When: 25 Nov 20 18:52
Wesdag • November 25, 2020 4:48 PM GMT
the hand of god bollocks never crosses my mind when i think of maradona - a truly magnificent footballer

Fckin does me
1. Cheat
2. Off his tits
£. Great Player
By:
dustybin
When: 25 Nov 20 18:52
By:
jamesdean
When: 25 Nov 20 18:57

Nov 25, 2020 -- 6:35PM, glentoby wrote:

I had the privelege to play "Keepy Upy" with him before the game between Cagliari and Napoli in the semi final of the Coppa Italia and have never seen a solo performance by any player to match him,before or since and probably never will.

Is it true, maradona asked you for your autograph that day, glentoby?

By:
sparrow
When: 25 Nov 20 18:58
Laugh
By:
glentoby
When: 25 Nov 20 19:01
All I could add to what I said would be that he would pass the ball to the Napoli defenders and by the time they received the pass he would be in Cagliari's half waiting for a return,it was thus throughout the game and he never stopped despite it being a fairly run of the mill competition for Napoli.
By:
glentoby
When: 25 Nov 20 19:02
Facts seem to breed envy?Sad
By:
jamesdean
When: 25 Nov 20 19:04
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7ZjU-6iSwk
By:
jamesdean
When: 25 Nov 20 19:12
Maradona doing keepie ups before kick off against bayern munich  1989 uefa cup
By:
jamesdean
When: 25 Nov 20 19:15
Practicing the moves he learnt from glen the previous week in Cagliari

Laugh

only messing glen, great stuff if true
By:
glentoby
When: 25 Nov 20 19:17
There may well exist photos of the Cagliari game but not inside the stadium,we were in a metal wire cage with only Diego and us about an hour before kick off,maybe a photo will come to light now?
By:
dustybin
When: 25 Nov 20 19:21
Could you imagine Diago going off like that before a league match in England during the 80's?

As soon as the whistle blew KO 10 outfield players would have slid straight through him putting pins in his legs.
By:
glentoby
When: 25 Nov 20 19:22
Btw Jamesdean,around that time I was playing in the middle of Cagliari against the Carabinieri on a clay/shingle pitch when someone booted the ball over the fence surround.One of the Carabinieri was laughing fit to drop until he realised the alarm going off was HIS car and the ball had landed on and cracked his windscreen.

Posted about this over a decade ago,without mentioning Diego Armando btw.
By:
mecca
When: 25 Nov 20 20:00
If I had had a kickabout with some Italian coppers and Diego Maradona in the '80s......... I would've only told folk about the coppers as well ....

Only kidding ,pal... fair play to you
By:
jamesdean
When: 25 Nov 20 20:00
Plenty tried in Italy and Spain dusty, most cdnt get close enough to him to do any damage. He was on the end of some horror tackles though

Mustve been some day, glen. There's no doubt video footage somewhere
By:
sparrow
When: 25 Nov 20 20:05
jamesdean 25 Nov 20 20:00 
Plenty tried in Italy and Spain dusty, most cdnt get close enough to him to do any damage. He was on the end of some horror tackles though

You should have seen Pele kicked out of the 66 World Cup as well.
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com