Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
16 Nov 20 13:55
| Topic/replies: 13,220 | Blogger: screaming from beneaththewaves's blog
Could only happen when they've banned racegoers.
Pause Switch to Standard View It's Plumpton in November, it's not...
Show More
Report sageform November 16, 2020 1:20 PM GMT
Black Kalanisi ran in a very strong chase at Stratford and is my only fancy on the card.
Report sageform November 16, 2020 1:27 PM GMT
That will do for today apart from Flat White at 2.30 Leicester.
Report stridingedge November 16, 2020 1:27 PM GMT
WD Sage
Report sageform November 16, 2020 1:41 PM GMT
Happygolucky who won the Stratford race runs at Fakenham tomorrow.
Report FOYLESWAR November 16, 2020 1:43 PM GMT
17 degrees on wednesday ..............
Report seaside November 16, 2020 1:58 PM GMT
You never used to go when you went racing.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves November 16, 2020 2:27 PM GMT
That's funny. One of the clearest memories I have from thirty years ago is standing on the platform at Plumpton station one Friday afternoon with Fremantle, and looking through the next day's decs at Worcester in the Argus.

"You getting the 10.37 from Paddington tomorrow?" I asked.

"No," he replied gloomily. "Getting married tomorrow."

But if you say so, I must have imagined it. Particularly as it wasn't raining that day either. But then again, that was August.

I do remember walking back alongside the home straight to the station after Unsinkable Boxer had hosed up at evens. I think I was not just the only person on the track who hadn't backed it - I'd also lumped on Rod Simpson's horse to beat it. To beat Unsinkable Boxer!

It was definitely raining that day.Sad
Report loper November 16, 2020 4:35 PM GMT
If the next train through wasn't stopping at Plumpton then I was often commandeered by Mr Freemantle to chauffeur him to Wivelsfield station to catch the said train.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves November 16, 2020 4:54 PM GMT
I noticed it was stopping all right today, when there were no spectators allowed.
Report Oldgit1 November 16, 2020 5:49 PM GMT
The rain all goes to Fontwell nowadays.
April 2007 there was about 7" of snow on a Sunday so I was sure that Plumpton would be off the next day but it all cleared over night apart from on the Downs.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves November 16, 2020 6:21 PM GMT
The Headmaster14 Nov 17 17:23Joined: 14 Nov 01 | Topic/replies: 3,860 | Blogger: The Headmaster's blog
It never rains at Plumpton these are all lies, kids - don't listen to these grumpy old men they just want the bar to themselves.
Rate reply:
| reportblock user
foxy
foxy14 Nov 17 17:31Joined: 26 Dec 00 | Topic/replies: 11,940 | Blogger: foxy's blog
your right headmaster i remember been at the easter fixture around 10 years ago it snowed instead.

https://community.betfair.com/horse_racing/go/thread/view/94102/30960225/unsinkable-boxer?post_id=553093359#553093359
Report sageform November 17, 2020 9:03 AM GMT
Only been to Plumpton once. My family owned a horse that managed to win an Amateur handicap hurdle ridden by Jim Wilson and the trainer decided to run it in the Don Butchers Trophy under a 10lb penalty! We were beaten in a photo by a Josh Gifford horse and the handicapper never forgave him. It was a very long way from Gloucestershire in those days (pre motorways apart from M4 from Maidenhead to Chiswick).
Report blackbarn November 17, 2020 9:33 AM GMT
Sageform - re the Don Butchers Trophy.   Could that have been as long ago as 1971??   I ask only because I was there that day with my Uncle Jack, he'd had a tip (From Ryan Price's stable!!) that the old boy Elan was nailed on for that race. I have no idea how much he won but he collected from three separate bookies and it took a while to collect. I was 18 and think I had a pound on!!.  Cant remember the price, someone will?  I think it was ridden by the late Doug Barrott.
Report blackbarn November 17, 2020 9:42 AM GMT
A Plumpton trivia question for you oldies - Honey End won the 1968 Kingston Chase.  Which more famous horse was second in that race.
Report sageform November 17, 2020 9:55 AM GMT
Not that long ago, more like 1975. I am ashamed to say that the name of the horse escapes me this morning but it will come back to me soon. It was trained by Paddy Cowley in the Prestbury yard from which Four Ten won the Gold Cup when trained by John Roberts. I'm sure someone will find it.
Report sageform November 17, 2020 10:04 AM GMT
Not sure about that one! I was in the US in 1968 but remember Honey End. Josh used to ride it as I recall. My other fond memory of Plumpton that was mentioned yesterday was when Voy por Ustedes won a novice chase there before collecting a big bonus for winning the Arkle. I remember watching the Plumpton win on TV and thinking "I have never seen a horse jump that well round there" and promptly backed it for the Arkle at 80/1. I met Barry Simpson (Ogden's manager) a few days later and told him it would win the Arkle and we had a laugh about it at Cheltenham when it did. I was going racing 3 or 4 days a week at that time but never went back to Plumpton.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com