Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Newmarket-spurs
21 Oct 20 01:57
| Topic/replies: 211 | Blogger: Newmarket-spurs's blog
Just noticed that tomorrow his one ride is in a £2k bumper at Fontwell. He rarely gets many rides these days and they are generally 50/1 shots for small trainers at small tracks.... Its quite incredible how far he has slipped down the pecking order because I'm not really sure why? He is a good jockey, I never thought he was in the elite class but certainly should be riding more/better winners than he currently is..

A lot of press about Hollie Doyles first GP1 winner. It may surprise many that TQ has ridden 25! No idea how many top class races he has ridden in and also was placed in. Must be hard to go from coach to 1st class & back to coach again. Thoughts?
Pause Switch to Standard View Tom Queally 25 Group 1 winners!
Show More
Report onlooker October 21, 2020 2:18 AM BST
Well - 10 of those Group 1s were on FRANKEL.

All  appears to have been downhill  since he 'declined' to appear in the Henry Cecil tribute documentary ... for some unknown reason.

It certainly has not done him any favours.
Report Ramruma October 21, 2020 3:02 AM BST
To be unkind, it makes you wonder how many more Group 1's HRAC might have had with a better jockey (and look how Gosden has dominated since signing up with even an ageing Frankie Dettori); would Frankel have won a Derby with a pilot who could relax him?

To be kinder, it does show how jockeys are unfairly at the whim of fashion. Not just Queally: JoGo mainly rides rags these days, for instance, though at least she still gets rides.
https://www.racingpost.com/profile/jockey/92801/josephine-gordon

It is hard. At a personal level, of course one feels sorry for those whose careers are in decline. At a professional level, there is a big gap between those right at the top and the rest, and why should connections want to settle for second best, let alone second rate? Against that, how many connections can even tell?
Report portmanpark October 21, 2020 7:52 AM BST
thought he had retired....did he not get caught drink driver...blamed it on sleep walking.....or have i just made that up
Report Ramruma October 21, 2020 8:29 AM BST
Sleep-walking drink-driving was six years ago.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-30088748
Report sixtwosix October 21, 2020 8:49 AM BST
Might not be at the peak of his career ......but he rode what some believe is the greatest ever flat racehorse ......

No one else will ever know it felt on Guineas day .
Report sageform October 21, 2020 9:58 AM BST
Ability is only part of the story with a jockey. Some owners and trainers can be easily offended by a careless remark or broken promise. I have no idea if that is the case for Queally but it has happened to many other jockeys down the years. Sir Henry Cecil employed some rather surprising stable jockeys, Richard Quinn, Willie Ryan and Kieren Fallon for instance, who were not always popular with other trainers.
Report Storm Alert October 21, 2020 10:01 AM BST
onlooker - All appears to have been downhill  since he 'declined' to appear in the Henry Cecil tribute documentary ... for some unknown reason. It certainly has not done him any favours.

My understanding is he wanted Channel4 to pay him appearance money and they refused so declined to contribute. Documentary was quite good but disgraceful they did not even acknowledge him or name check him even once as afar as I can remember. Obviously he had to be shown riding Frankel and I think some of the rides were interesting and warranted comment (200og, St James's Palace & Qipco Champion).

I also would not have him in elite class but he gave Frankel some great rides and was unbeaten in all fourteen races and was the only jockey to ride Frankel in a race. He was also excellent when interviewed and handled tricky interviews especially well after Sir Henry's sad passing.
Report Newmarket-spurs October 21, 2020 10:35 AM BST
Ramruna - you make an excellent point about fashion. There always a few jockeys each season who seem to be in 'fashion'... they suddenly start getting better rides, thus riding more winners in high profile races and it sort of snowballs upwards. Right now its Hollie Doyle & Tom Marquand... Time will tell how long they will continue rising and stay at the top level. Not so long ago it was Josephine Gordon as someone mentioned & I'm sure many others can be named.

As for Queally I do think he was over promoted to Cecils no.1 & certainly very lucky to catch the Cecil renaissance with Frankel & Midday etc. I still feel sorry for him though despite the fact that I've never forgiven him for screwing up a second Breeders Cup on Midday when he managed to finish 2nd through poor race riding. (I had a massive bet on her)
Report cloone river October 21, 2020 11:45 AM BST
Maybe he is happy what he is doing at the moment?He may also be financially secure for the rest of his life.Best of luck to him.
Report dpm October 21, 2020 11:56 AM BST
I would imagine he has one nomination per year to Frankel, that must be worth 125K, so he may now just pick and choose who, what and where to ride.
Report sparrow October 21, 2020 11:56 AM BST
No matter wat anyone else thinks he was good enough for Henry Cecil and also for Barney Curley to entrust massive bets on his horses. Some will say they were steering jobs but it wasn't them risking the money.
Report sparrow October 21, 2020 11:57 AM BST
*what
Report 3 valleys October 21, 2020 12:15 PM BST
Sageform has it right easy for a jockey to offend ,a current example is SDS whose book of rides in my opinion doesn't reflect the true nature of his ability and has moved around a bit
Report 3 valleys October 21, 2020 12:23 PM BST
Back to OPs observation since lockdown finished 155 rides and 11 winners - 3 rides for NTD and 1 winner @16/1, to give idea of prices 70 of those rides have been at prices greater than 18/1
Report 3 valleys October 21, 2020 12:26 PM BST
This for Queally obvs.(SDS 459 rides since racing resumed - 72 winners)
Report cloone river October 21, 2020 12:54 PM BST
I think it is two nomination a year to Frankel.Not a bad years work.
Report tips October 21, 2020 1:04 PM BST
if he was riding one I fancied it would not put me off
Report Tiger Tiger October 21, 2020 1:21 PM BST
TQ has a minimum weight of 8-11 which does not help his cause. He does of course now have a NH licence and rode his first winner over the stick in June, more to come perhaps?
Report gemini01 October 21, 2020 1:33 PM BST
The queen would have rode Frankel and Midday ffs, Queally is a mong of a jockey, he was poxed beyond belief to find Henry Cecil when he had top claas horses in his care, and as for Barney Curleys horses, who had 2 and 3 stone in hand when off, that hardly warrants calling him a good jockey.
Great/Good Jockeys are rare enough to find, but to categorize Queally in any part of the great or good is an insult imo...
Report sparrow October 21, 2020 1:40 PM BST
I had to look up the word "mong" and a disgusting word to use about the man.

mong1
/mɒŋ/
nounoffensive•British
noun: mong; plural noun: mongs

a person who is stupid or who has learning difficulties.
Report onlooker October 21, 2020 2:00 PM BST
Meanwhile - Weaver continues to 'bull' them all up - as if every single one of them is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Talk about 'the Goalkeepers Union'.
Report sageform October 21, 2020 2:03 PM BST
I happen to think that SDS is too hard on young horses. He is riding to win which is commendable but when a promising horse deteriorates after he has ridden it to a hard fought win, he could be to blame.
Report Newmarket-spurs October 21, 2020 3:15 PM BST
Some really good points. I didnt know about the Frankel nominations. I guess he is doing ok then financially but driving 5hrs for one ride at 50/1 on a cold wet monday is a still a big come down from Breeders Cups in sunny California & Royal Ascot Gp 1s...
The more I look at it the more I think he'll win the 5.30 at Fontwell! haha Princess Ruby whose grandfather is Old Vic! Its in the stars....
Report chipbutty October 21, 2020 3:27 PM BST
Spread betting on Gemini's IQ  20-25, I'd be a seller.

Queally a more than competent jockey and if the horse is good enough will win the majority of the time, like most jockey's really. He gave Frankel one or two questionable rides, the St James being the standout, but I think he just knew he was on a freak that was unbeatable.
Report sixtwosix October 21, 2020 3:32 PM BST
Sir Henry and the prince trusted him with the most valuable of mounts ....says it all.
Report Newmarket-spurs October 21, 2020 3:36 PM BST
chipbutty - His ride in the St James just didnt make any logical sense... If you know you're on the best horse you dont have to try anything extreme to beat the others. He went off like a scolded cat and was hanging on at the end. Also I was there at the 2000 Guineas and I felt it was a terrible ride again. Frankel won by 6L but the closers were gaining rapidly and he didnt need to go so fast so early. Any other horse and he would've lost. To me losing on the best horse is the worst crime that Jocks make.... Atzeni & Moore do it a lot.
Report sixtwosix October 21, 2020 3:38 PM BST
Also I was there at the 2000 Guineas and I felt it was a terrible ride again.

LaughLaughLaugh
Report sparrow October 21, 2020 3:40 PM BST
We also need to bear in mind that the 2000 guineas field apart from Frankel was very poor and I don't think any of them won another race.
Report penzance October 21, 2020 3:42 PM BST
bad rides or not his record on Frankel is and
always will be 100%.
Report chipbutty October 21, 2020 3:43 PM BST
I agree Newmarket, those are the two questionable rides I was talking about, I just think that he and Henry knew before the rest of us that they had something out of the ordinary and Queally felt he was unbeatable however he rode him.

He nearly found out the hard way in the St James that even if a horse has 2 stone in hand you can still get them beat. I think he decided after that he didn't have to send him lengths clear too early and risk giving him a harder race than he needed to.
Report Tiger Tiger October 21, 2020 3:48 PM BST
ffs, good job he didn't get beat eh?
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk October 21, 2020 3:56 PM BST
If Queally decided beforehand to run the Guineas like a sprint race then you are deluded. Why have a pacemaker? Fact is he couldn't do eff all about it
He was a passenger.
Why didn't he bolt out over a mile after that race?
Report chipbutty October 21, 2020 3:56 PM BST
To be clear Tiger my take on it is this, He rode the horse 14 times, gave it 12 perfect rides and 2 which I believe were questionable. By this I mean that if he'd have continued to ride him this way, he would have bottomed that horse out by giving him much harder races than he needed to.

He learned from this and never did it again after the St James and that is testament to him being a good jockey. You may dismiss others comment as being stupid, but not every winning ride is a good one and not every losing ride is a bad one.

The bottom line is Queally is a more than competent jockey that would have loads more winners if he rode more fancied horses.
Report Tiger Tiger October 21, 2020 4:04 PM BST
Good post chipbutty Cool
Report Newmarket-spurs October 21, 2020 5:11 PM BST
Chipbutty - thank you for your reply. Yes completely agree. The 2000 Guineas really was a terrible ride. The commentator at Newmarket said he had gone off too fast and the fractional times back that up. Around me in the Grandstand everyone was in complete agreement that this was a superhorse as he had done something remarkable despite the ride/tactics employed on the day. If you look at the Royal Ascot win then that is how he should've been ridden.

Queally overall though did a good job and handled the pressure well.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com