Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Gaze733
18 Oct 20 11:51
| Topic/replies: 1,716 | Blogger: Gaze733's blog
You get double the win rate but around a quarter of the odds.

E.g. you can hit 20% with 9/1 shots to win or 40% at 2/1 to place, the former is 100% roi, and the latter only 20%. That's why people who bet their favs and second favs each way are ridiculous. If you don't trust it to win, don't back it. The exceptions are 15/1 shots and above.
Pause Switch to Standard View Why place betting sucks
Show More
Report tyred October 18, 2020 11:08 AM BST
no wonder you need tipsters to tell you what to back and lay.
Report Gaze733 October 18, 2020 1:13 PM BST
I don't you idiot. I'm better than tipsters, but I don't know everything about every horse, so why not add some good free tipsters to my portfolio?

Point still stands, place betting is for scaredy cats. So what if your horse doesn't win? Just bet on the next race.
Report Rico-Dangleflaps October 18, 2020 1:22 PM BST
gaze = charlie cairoli
Report 11kv October 18, 2020 1:26 PM BST
"So what if your horse doesn't win? Just bet on the next race."

From the Big Mart bible.
Report hulk23 October 18, 2020 1:26 PM BST
had to google him to find out who charlie cairoli is (was) ...
Report The Management October 18, 2020 1:39 PM BST
Their is a thyme and a plaice for plaice betting and the saym for each-weigh betting.

Each-weigh and Plaice only can be some of the shrewdestest and bestest valoo bets u can ever strike if yu understand the thyme and the plaice - they can alsow be the mostest muggiester and pourest valoo bets you can strike if u dont understand aboot the wright thyme and Plaice.
Report Gaze733 October 18, 2020 1:45 PM BST
Place betting is being results oriented, but if you're betting value you don't need the winner right now.
Report BULLET TOOTH TONY October 18, 2020 1:53 PM BST
There are many horses that I have backed to win that have finished 2nd, ,3rd or 4th and after the event I have thought I should've, could've and would've had I known the result before hand...............Each market has a relevance, the key is playing right to your % chance of success.

To stick to one market or another is the biggest mistake in betting, but to discredit a market is a bigger problem and u should give up if you cant see where it would a relevance to make a winning investment.
Report BULLET TOOTH TONY October 18, 2020 1:53 PM BST
There are many horses that I have backed to win that have finished 2nd, ,3rd or 4th and after the event I have thought I should've, could've and would've had I known the result before hand...............Each market has a relevance, the key is playing right to your % chance of success.

To stick to one market or another is the biggest mistake in betting, but to discredit a market is a bigger problem and u should give up if you cant see where it would a relevance to make a winning investment.
Report sparrow October 18, 2020 1:53 PM BST
Place only markets = 3 and 4 winners per race.
Report Rico-Dangleflaps October 18, 2020 1:53 PM BST
gaze,the epitome of a spice user.
Report stewarts rise October 18, 2020 2:10 PM BST
BTT even posts EW.
Report BULLET TOOTH TONY October 18, 2020 2:10 PM BST
GAZE - 14.57 Kempton - 7 Runners - 4TBP market - How would you price up Daring Malatrix to be in the first 4, given that you must find 4 to finish in front or expect the horse to fall for it not to be a winning bet............how would you price the ROI on this please, if you make it Enticing enough for me, can you become my bookie
Report geoff m October 18, 2020 2:16 PM BST
What evidence do you have to suggest you get double the win rate?? and not 2.3 or 3 or more??
Report Gaze733 October 18, 2020 2:26 PM BST
Because that's how it works. I've never seen anyone triple the win rate by making place bets. Either the horse runs as you expect or it fails. Even an odds on fav can finish last of 8. Just look at Time voyage @1.6, finished 5th.

Also, think about the big gambles. Either the info is good and the horse that steams from 20 to 3 bolts home by 6 lengths or it finishes second last because it runs like a 20/1 shot.
Report Brian October 18, 2020 2:38 PM BST
You've missed your vocation Gaze, you should have been a statistician.
Report The Management October 18, 2020 2:40 PM BST
Fishing Fred Shirley - NOBODY is this stupid!

You are giving Gays everywhere a bad name imo
Report tyred October 18, 2020 2:44 PM BST
he is too stoopid to know how to fish !
Report The Management October 18, 2020 2:52 PM BST
The sheer volume of threads would indicate that you may be correct tyred.
Report Larabrown October 18, 2020 4:56 PM BST
The OP is a good example of why most punters lose.
Report Hayden October 18, 2020 5:37 PM BST
Punters who don't know why they need bookmakers as well as the exchange for betting opportunities will definitely be far too one dimensional in their approach , so consequently will be letting smart opportunities pass them by on a daily basis.
Report geoff m October 18, 2020 5:38 PM BST
geoff m18 Oct 20 14:16Joined: 23 Feb 03 | Topic/replies: 16,340 | Blogger: geoff m's blog
What evidence do you have to suggest you get double the win rate?? and not 2.3 or 3 or more??

Gaze733
Gaze73318 Oct 20 14:26Joined: 15 Mar 12 | Topic/replies: 1,479 | Blogger: Gaze733's blog
Because that's how it works. I've never seen anyone triple the win rate by making place bets. Either the horse runs as you expect or it fails. Even an odds on fav can finish last of 8. Just look at Time voyage @1.6, finished 5th.

Also, think about the big gambles. Either the info is good and the horse that steams from 20 to 3 bolts home by 6 lengths or it finishes second last because it runs like a 20/1 shot.

So NONE then.
Report jamee1 October 18, 2020 8:05 PM BST
If this was true then you could just back the favs to win and lay them to place. You would be quids in! (Disclaimer: you won't be quids in).
Report Rico-Dangleflaps October 18, 2020 8:34 PM BST
the only cistern that workd flushes ya dough down the karzi..
Report Gaze733 October 18, 2020 9:26 PM BST
Alright you clowns, if you think place betting is so great, why bet in the win market at all? After all, it's the same profits, except with a higher variance, right? Go on, bet on favs to place and win 80% of bets @1.5.
Report jamee1 October 18, 2020 10:27 PM BST

Oct 18, 2020 -- 10:26PM, Gaze733 wrote:

Alright you clowns, if you think place betting is so great, why bet in the win market at all? After all, it's the same profits, except with a higher variance, right? Go on, bet on favs to place and win 80% of bets @1.5.

The win market books are usually just above 100%. The 2-place market books are just above 200%, 3-place 300% and 4-place 400%. Over time based on random backing you will return roughly the same % whether you bet in only the win or place markets.

Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com