Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
sparrow
21 Sep 20 08:46
| Topic/replies: 35,642 | Blogger: sparrow's blog
Talking Horses: Sting in tail for Dreal Deal team after amazing win

Potential racing fans are put off by outcomes that essentially pulp the form book like Saturday’s remarkable gamble

Chris Cook
@claimsfive
Mon 21 Sep 2020 00.01 BS

Never mind Nahaarr finishing the Ayr Gold Cup like he had been fired from a cannon, the most jaw-dropping race of the weekend was at Navan on Saturday, when Dreal Deal sailed past a bunch of handicap hurdlers as if he had joined in at halfway.

This was a horse who had shown no real promise in seven previous hurdle races, yet he had been backed as if such an effort was expected, from an opening 20-1 down to 6-4.

His performance was the more remarkable because he all but fell at the first flight, losing all momentum and quite a bit of ground, ballooned most of his hurdles thereafter and went widest of all. Yet, at one of the stiffest tracks in Ireland, those problems seemed to have taken no toll whatever as he cantered six lengths clear on the run-in. “We are chuffed,” said his owner/trainer, Ronan McNally, to the Racing Post.

But the mood had changed when McNally spoke to me on Sunday, by which time he says the handicapper had told him how much higher Dreal Deal will now be in the ratings. “He’s going up by 19lb because of this whole storm on social media,” McNally said. “That’s nearly like the horse winning four races.

“What’s the chance of him going and winning off 19lb higher now? His chances have vastly decreased. The media were saying: ‘Oh, he’s won with four stone in hand,’ but they were just saying it flippantly. They were laughing. And then everyone on social media kicked off, big gamble this, big gamble that.

“It’s near impossible, 19lb, Jesus. There’s £6,000 made [in prize money] and now I’m on a hiding to nothing.

“Everyone thinks you have this big gamble landed and you have all this money, that’s totally inaccurate. I’m very frustrated about the whole situation.”

McNally, who says there was sickness in his yard when Dreal Deal ran poorly in the past, backed him on Saturday but insists his winnings will hardly make a dent in the horse’s £50,000 purchase price. He is not, he adds, a big-time gambler and prize money is the income source on which he relies.

“I’m no different to any man, if I think my horse is going to run well, I’ll have a few quid on, that’s what most people in racing do. But if I thought I could run my operation through gambling, I’d be out of business in two days. You have to try and win prize money, jeepers creepers.”

The matter has been passed to Irish racing’s referrals committee for further investigation, so we will see if that process brings any further light. Personally, I reckon Dreal Deal has got off pretty lightly with a 19lb rise. As the Post’s analyst, David Jennings, noted: “He won with at least a stone in hand, possibly two, maybe even more.”

McNally’s operation is a small one but it is only just over a year since his name came up in similar circumstances, when the well-backed The Jam Man won easily at Southwell, having been beaten 98 lengths on his previous start. The trainer also felt that was explicable, mentioning sickness in his stable as explaining the horse’s previous form, and protested when the stewards interviewed him three times during the course of the day, saying it made him feel “like a criminal”, although no action was taken against him.
Quick Guide
Pause Switch to Standard View Sting in tail for Dreal Deal team...
Show More
Report hulk23 September 21, 2020 9:25 AM BST
It’s near impossible, 19lb, Jesus

doubled my steak for next time when i read that, thanks Ronan ...
Report impossible123 September 21, 2020 7:48 PM BST
20/1 to 6/4? How it that possible? Try putting £20 on a 5/1, and instant reply will be bet referred to trader. Next sp only. The bookies are making a mountain out of a mole hill. They are bleating again!
Report Rico-Dangleflaps September 21, 2020 9:04 PM BST
very plausible ronan,,unfortunately noones buying it..
Report ambush September 21, 2020 10:24 PM BST
if one was cynical enough one could believe that poor ronan  sounded more like the owner of the horse than the trainer.to me he falls into the mushroom owner
syndrome(feed them **** and keep them in the dark).it sounds like he was only getting on when everyone in the know was already on .
Report ambush September 21, 2020 10:24 PM BST
sh1T
Report Rico-Dangleflaps September 21, 2020 10:43 PM BST
he pulled a job..yes we'd all like to have been part of it..but basically took the p!$$ out of the authorities..

face the consequences.
Report betting_masta September 21, 2020 10:55 PM BST
why no mention of kayley woolaccot today? winners at 66/1 and 25/1. should she not be being lambasted for not backing her horses and making more than the prize money? or being investigated for sudden improvement? Or is she not getting any criticism because she's british and female  and we only criticise Irish male trainers?
Report Whippin Piccadilly September 21, 2020 11:18 PM BST
As the Post’s analyst, David Jennings, noted: “He won with at least a stone in hand, possibly two, maybe even more.”

Connections couldn't have found a more weaker race. Sure, they ran the horse on the flat over inadequate trip before placing him in a more suitable race, but there's no law against that. The 2nd is now a 19th raced maiden and was pulled up LTO and the 3rd was btn over a 100L when last seen. Of course, you will get plenty of mug punters on SM crying about it, the sort who follow tipsters and back short priced favourites all the time. I've seen worse, including this season with a horse being allowed to go off too fast over an inadequate trip, then being anchored out the back before being pulled up over hurdles.
Report windsor knot September 22, 2020 7:32 AM BST
what an insulting piece of journalism from jennings .regardless of the supposed size of the gamble ( and the trainer's rather  spirited defence speech )  you don't have to be a ' mug punter ' to seriously question the improvement of form in this case . and as for ' mugs ' following tipsters , he is presumably on the payroll of a daily full of them so he is on rather thin ice there . the fact that he has ' seen worse ' is irrelevant.
Report GAZO September 22, 2020 7:45 AM BST
can he really be the trainer because he must be totally stupid if he thinks there are not going to be questions asked and as for going up 19lb,he must still have extel
Report sageform September 22, 2020 9:04 AM BST
As I said in an earlier post, why are only "improvers" that are heavily backed considered to be unfair while those that are unbacked (or were they) like the Woollacott pair not? Perhaps the only "crime" that the Irish trainer committed was his ignorance of how to get money on without attracting attention. How many £2-4 bets on here would it take to reduce the price significantly? If you got a total of £50 on at say 65 (or better still stick it all on at Betfair SP), you could clear £3500 with few questions asked.
Report GAZO September 22, 2020 9:28 AM BST
outsiders win and most times with no obvious reason thats why the price is so big but when horses get backed in with no obvious reason and improve massively you have to think something is not right,its like frankel in his prime drifting out to 33-1 and finishing down the field,it happens horses can have a off day but the price would suggest some people knew he was going to have a off day
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com