Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
ashleigh
13 Sep 20 13:36
| Topic/replies: 15,407 | Blogger: ashleigh's blog
sue barker leaving after 24 years, matt dwason and phil tufnell also leaving.
no new presenter/team captains yet announced,
who will the bbc choose?
my guess,
chair, clare balding
possible captains, alex scott,ian wright,denise lewis, jermaine janus, alan shearer.
Pause Switch to Standard View question of sport- all change
Show More
Report sixtwosix September 17, 2020 2:19 PM BST
Viewing figures will plummet like they did with Top Gear.

They can abuse their power to install their liberal ,  loathing attitudes from their secure mansions but ......they cannot make us watch it.

As mentioned they tried it with Top Gear.
Viewer figures plummeted and they could either kill it or get presenters is a similar style to previous.

I wish Boris would cancel the license and make it subscription .
Report duncan idaho September 17, 2020 2:20 PM BST
Newmarket-spurs  15 Sep 20 12:46

More woke nonsense from the BBC

Thought i'd make a list of the woke nonsense one night last week...white blokes presenting Pointless and House of Games, Michael Portillo on a train, athletics, a doc about music in the Blitz and an episode of Dad’s Army.

embarrassing, mate Blush
Report Wesdag September 17, 2020 2:32 PM BST
Would anyone notice if this show was scrapped?

Has been a pile of sh!t for years.
Report jamesdean September 17, 2020 3:13 PM BST
It's a new generation now and she is that generation.

Take colour and gender out of it and tbf the bc would be hard pressed to find anyone better for the job
Report lead on September 17, 2020 3:25 PM BST
It's light entertainment anyway,isn't it....based around sport but it'll probably become less so....maybe the three simple tools could do a rival showSilly
Report Wesdag September 17, 2020 3:29 PM BST
*sh!te entertainment
Report Wesdag September 17, 2020 3:30 PM BST
@DefundBBC - Twitter
Report 1830 September 17, 2020 4:28 PM BST
https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1336721/Alex-Scott-A-Question-of-...
Report onlooker September 17, 2020 5:58 PM BST
possible captains, alex scott,ian wright,denise lewis, jermaine janus, alan shearer.
-------------

Knowing the BBC  - You probably got the middle 3 correct.

No prizes for guessing the connection.
Report saddo September 17, 2020 6:06 PM BST
Women getting shivved nowadays in the top jobs market. 3 boxes ticked with the new host, brilliant stuff from the beeb.
Report betting_masta September 17, 2020 6:16 PM BST
this is all going too far now. on soccer special the other day there were two pundits, both were bl&ck. are they not embarrassed? they're only getting the job because of the colour of their skin. that's racism!
Report saddo September 18, 2020 1:05 PM BST
I think you'll find they call it 'positive action' these days. They dropped the term 'positive discrimination' long ago because it sounded...........well, discriminatory.
Report Wesdag September 18, 2020 1:33 PM BST
Sue only had this gig for nearly a quarter of a century.

No jobs for life at BBC shocker.
Report saddo September 18, 2020 2:05 PM BST
Fair chance of being replaced if you are a white hetero at BBC, no shock at all.
Report jamesdean September 18, 2020 2:29 PM BST
There is no doubt the BBC are trying to be more diverse across the board, it's not a secret and wouldn't disagree they are maybe going too far at times.

However, what price the vast majority of people complaining about AS getting the job don't watch or haven't watched Question of sport for years?
Plus on this occasion solely (QOS) it's hard to say AS isn't there on merit. She's done the educational work for presenting, has played for her country over
100 times and seems decent in front of the camera. Seems a perfect fit for me, who would be better? Sue Barker into her 80's?

Not a fan of Gary Linekar at all but tend to agree with him that if you are complaining about this instance solely then maybe there is another reason
for it
Report jamesdean September 18, 2020 2:35 PM BST
The pendulum may have swung too far when BAME were getting jobs to tick boxes, which is still rife, but it has maybe swung a bit back
the other way when no one that is BAME can get on job on tv without it being lazily labeled as box ticking
Report par September 18, 2020 2:37 PM BST
it's a joke. pc gone mad.
Report Wesdag September 18, 2020 2:38 PM BST
correct james
Report jamesdean September 18, 2020 2:39 PM BST
Have you tried cc cleaner, par?  Wink
Report Wesdag September 18, 2020 2:39 PM BST
not sure what sue ever brought to the table - & for 24 years ffs!!
Report par September 18, 2020 2:42 PM BST
i had to think about that one james , lol
Report tyred September 18, 2020 5:00 PM BST
a nice bunch of whities covertly telling each other how awful it is to have blacks/minorities on their telly, enjoy patting each other on the back.
Report duffy September 18, 2020 5:08 PM BST
Is Alex Scott the only black person available though? would be my question!!

You'd think so!!!
Report Wesdag September 18, 2020 5:14 PM BST

Sep 18, 2020 -- 5:00PM, tyred wrote:

a nice bunch of whities covertly telling each other how awful it is to have blacks/minorities on their telly, enjoy patting each other on the back.

Been seething ever since the Black & Minstrel Show got canned.

Cry

Report Wesdag September 18, 2020 5:16 PM BST
* Black & White Minstrel Show
Report jamesdean September 18, 2020 5:16 PM BST
Maybe she's getting all these jobs because those that employ her actually think she's good at what she does?
Report duffy September 18, 2020 5:36 PM BST
I doubt it
Report jamesdean September 18, 2020 5:41 PM BST
Why?

What is it you don't like about her duffy or think she's not qualified enough for these jobs she is getting?
Report tyred September 18, 2020 5:44 PM BST
wrong shdae (nap)
Report duffy September 18, 2020 5:55 PM BST
We should be asking ourselves if she is that good she warrants appointing for all these new jobs she's landed.

Is the pool of talent that small? I don't think so, you then must conclude that she is being awarded these jobs for something other that her talent and in so doing it actually damages the cause.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves September 18, 2020 5:57 PM BST
I had never heard of Alex Scott before this, and have no idea how suited she is for the role. But her problem is going to be the same one everyone not 100% straight and white now faces: she has no way of knowing whether she got the job on merit or for quota reasons.

Positive discrimination is great up to the point of ensuring there's at least one role model out there for others of similar background to aspire to. But when it becomes a numbers game, categorizing people by artificial identiities, it makes life impossible for anyone in one of those minority categories.
Report duffy September 18, 2020 5:58 PM BST
Actually my point but far more eloquently putGrin
Report jamesdean September 18, 2020 6:00 PM BST
That's not 'her problem' screaming though is it?

Surely it is the ones complaining that has the problem
Report Wesdag September 18, 2020 6:04 PM BST
The irony is that the same ones moaning about Alex would've been moaning about Sue 24 years ago.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves September 18, 2020 6:04 PM BST
Everyone knows Makhaya Ntini wasn't worth his place in the S African cricket team when he first arrived, but given that opportunity he made the most of it, and his one example has inspired a production line of black S African fast bowlers. Great.

But since then it's become a matter of government quotas, rather than just one-off inspirational role models, and you've got a situation where even someone as brilliant as Kagiso Rabada says he's never sure whether he's in the side on merit or because of his colour.
Report duffy September 18, 2020 6:08 PM BST
Wesdag 18 Sep 20 18:04 
The irony is that the same ones moaning about Alex would've been moaning about Sue 24 years ago.

Good, so we can thankfully take the question of racism off the table.
Report Wesdag September 18, 2020 6:09 PM BST
Sexism then, racism now.
Report jamesdean September 18, 2020 6:10 PM BST
100% if people are getting jobs to tick boxes then that is a problem and not right but by your own admission you haven't even heard
of her but suggest her getting the job is some kind of problem.

When you look at her credentials for the role, there is no problem, she's there on merit. The problem lies with those who don't think she deserves to
be there for different reasons or reckon that is is only box ticking without doing their research on her
Report screaming from beneaththewaves September 18, 2020 6:10 PM BST
Well, it is her problem, james. You only have to read this thread. And we're not only her audience, but her employers too, via the licence fee. And because of overt diversity targets within the BBC, we're entitled to speculate whether she got the post on her merits or not.

Without those targets, we'd simply revert to good old-fashioned slagging her off on her merits, the way we do everyone on the telly.
Report duffy September 18, 2020 6:12 PM BST
The problem is when someone disagrees with her appointment and they are automatically accused, or suggested to be racist, its happened here in the last few posts and that's disappointing.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves September 18, 2020 6:15 PM BST
The BBC is to increase diversity by investing £100m of its TV budget over a three year period to produce "diverse and inclusive content".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53135022

Did she get the job on merit or on account of a £100 million bung? There's no way of knowing, and it does her no good at all in the long run. It just puts a target on her.
Report Wesdag September 18, 2020 6:15 PM BST
All of a sudden special qualities are required to present this sack of sh!t of a show.

How odd.
Report jamesdean September 18, 2020 6:15 PM BST
Alex Scott won't worry about what people are saying on a betting forum, screaming.

She and those around her will know themselves she's good enough for the job. It's pure ignorance to suggest otherwise.

You are entitled to speculate ofc but I'm sure if you researched her you'd be hard pushed to suggest she wasn't there on merit

Well duffy, I've asked you why you don't think she should have the job yet you have failed to answer
Report Wesdag September 18, 2020 6:18 PM BST
You've hit the nail on the head james.

Screaming knows nothing about her but he knows enough...

Confused
Report jamesdean September 18, 2020 6:30 PM BST
When they have a valid reason as to why she isn't good enough for the job then it's fair enough, wes

When they just 'it is a joke' or 'she doesn't deserve the job' etc with no explanation the alarm bells start to ring
Some just don't like her but can't quite put their finger on the reason Sad

btw the show is bollocks these days anyway!!
Report Wesdag September 18, 2020 6:33 PM BST
agreed
Report saddo September 18, 2020 6:34 PM BST
From a study by CDN (creative diversity network)

The CDN found that “BAME [Black and Minority Ethnic] on-screen representation” is 23 per cent — far above the BAME share of the British general population, estimated at 14 per cent.

Gay people also get far more on-screen roles than their proportional representation in broader British society would suggest, accounting for 10.7 per cent, 10.5 per cent, 13.1 per cent, an astonishing 18.1 per cent, and 7.6 per cent of on-screen contributions at the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, and Sky, respectively, despite making up just 6.4 per cent of the general population.

Gay people were similarly overrepresented off-screen, accounting for 14.7 per cent, 14.1 per cent, 16.1 per cent, 12.5 per cent, and 10.4 per cent of off-screen jobs at the same five broadcasters.

This is not about levelling the field, it is way beyond that. There is a purpose to it and people are entitled to ask what the purpose is.
Report jamesdean September 18, 2020 6:40 PM BST
I would have thought more Gay people try to get into tv/show biz than straight %wise
The stats will probably show more Gays in hair dressing as well than straight people %wise, shock horror

As said though, if it is purely box ticking then that clearly isn't right

Seeing this thread was about QOS and AS...Can anyone give a reason why Alex Scott was not good enough to get the QOS role or undeserving?
Report screaming from beneaththewaves September 18, 2020 6:41 PM BST
OK. I haven't watched the programme since the days of David Coleman, and once I reached about nine years old I found I'd grown out of it. There's only so many times you can laugh at Emlyn Hughes trying to identify Brendan Foster from his nostrils.

So the bar for being talented enough for the presenter's gig isn't a very high one imo, and I genuinely have no doubt that Alex Scott is up to the task, given a pulse and a functioning autocue.

And I take jamesdean's word that she's a lot better than that, on the basis I have a lot of respect for jamesdeadn's opinions on other things. So why then does the BBC have to spend £100 million of my and your money on pushing for opportunities for her and others when she's evidently good enough anyway? Absolutely no one imagines that someone is going to be discriminated against on the basis of colour and gender in the public sector in 2020. So why give others ammunition for resentment? It must backfire on Scott to some etent.
Report sixtwosix September 18, 2020 6:43 PM BST
At least they  are not going for a famous ex sports person again.
Report jamesdean September 18, 2020 6:43 PM BST
I have a lot of respect for jamesdeadn's opinions on other things.

FFS screaming, there's some things best kept quiet on here!!
Report screaming from beneaththewaves September 18, 2020 6:44 PM BST
I mean, assuming she has greater ambitions one day, it 's not going to help her that her previous employer had to find someone to spend a diversity budget on. The QoS gig will just have a big asterisk next to it.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves September 18, 2020 6:47 PM BST
Arguing about steward's Enquiries, arguing with Wazza, moaning about BLV - jamesdean is always my go-to poster.
Report Wesdag September 18, 2020 6:54 PM BST
So why then does the BBC have to spend £100 million of my and your money on pushing for opportunities for her and others when she's evidently good enough anyway?

Because the senior management is not very diverse but incredibly woke.

This is a virtue signal to show how tolerant & wonderful they are.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves September 18, 2020 7:04 PM BST
It's almost as if they want someone of Alex Scott's colour to know that she needs to be grateful to them.
Report LoyalHoncho September 18, 2020 7:07 PM BST
I like that sixtwosix.  Very subtle and not picked up on by many.  Grin
Report jamesdean September 18, 2020 7:09 PM BST

Sep 18, 2020 -- 6:47PM, screaming from beneaththewaves wrote:

Arguing about steward's Enquiries, arguing with Wazza, moaning about BLV - jamesdean is always my go-to poster.

Grin

Report sixtwosix September 18, 2020 7:13 PM BST
Cool
Report Steamship September 19, 2020 12:01 AM BST
Good luck to the new team at QOS, I think they will need it.
I have not watched it since the 90s but from what I understand it never has a regular slot on BBC 1. I don't see how young people are all of a sudden going to start watching, meanwhile it's loyal base will have lost the cosy familiarity of the show.
Report betting_masta September 19, 2020 1:55 AM BST
let's see how well she does when she has to read, that's all i'm saying on the matter.
Report duffy September 19, 2020 5:06 AM BST

That was my first post on the subject so I clearly haven't got a problem with her colour, my question is simply in asking whether she is so far ahead of the field that she deserves to land all these jobs????

The percentages must say that there are several people from all ethnicities better qualified for the job.
Report 1830 September 19, 2020 1:33 PM BST
If its all about  Diversity, why isnt there any Chinese people on the TV Presenting.
You might get few on a Cooking Programmes (is that not stereotyping).
As for Alex Scott,decent to look at.
What else does she offer?
Presenting skills, average at best.
Has she worked her way up over a long priod of time, has she fck.
Was she world class in her football career and a household name?. Its womens football for fcks sake its shyyte and only the BBC and Chairmen Mao admirers  think it matters.
Shes been very lucky so far and had a lot of work out of the BBC for these attributes.
If she gets th QOS job she will be very,very lucky and 50% of the reason she will have got the job will be because of her colour, 40% because shes Female 10% because of her talent.
If shes getting paid £25000 a year fair enough, I will accept that, however if shes getting anything more than this which she probably will do then its one of  the reasons the BBC needs to fck off and cease to exist as we know it (not funded by License payers).
Report duncan idaho September 19, 2020 2:05 PM BST
duffy  19 Sep 20 05:06

That was my first post on the subject so I clearly haven't got a problem with her colour, my question is simply in asking whether she is so far ahead of the field that she deserves to land all these jobs????

The percentages must say that there are several people from all ethnicities better qualified for the job.

Name three
Report betting_masta September 19, 2020 2:14 PM BST
1) Bert kwok
2) nancy lam
3) jackie chan

and that's just the chínks
Report Makybe_Diva September 19, 2020 2:52 PM BST
I like Alex Scott and she’s great at presenting The One Show with the other Alex.

But I won’t be watching A Question of Sport again after the sacking of Sue Barker and her team captains. I’m bl**dy furious about it Angry
Report duffy September 19, 2020 3:08 PM BST
Kate Abdu who's disappeared from Sky sports but has a vast experience in sport presenting in the states and here is more qualified.

Ade Adepitan who has been presenting for years after being a sportsman himself, also a great role model through succeeding after contracting polio as a child...more qualified.

Sam Quek, Olympic gold medalist who has since successfully turned to TV and Radio....more qualified.
Report Ramruma September 19, 2020 3:12 PM BST
I gave up on QoS decades ago *because* Sue Barker got the job.

Barker always struck me as adequate rather than brilliant, and if Alex Scott is to be the new Sue Barker, that's fine (or fine-ish) by me. Most presenters can do the job. It's not hard. She has to read out the questions and then read out the answers. How hard can it be?
Report duffy September 19, 2020 3:23 PM BST
I gave up on it when it ceased to be a sporting quiz show and became a slapstick comedy show
Report duncan idaho September 19, 2020 3:25 PM BST
99% of population never heard of Abdu

Adepitan lacks sense of fun without which show is dead, so less qualified

Quek would have similarly strong credentials to Scott, tho i would def disagree she's more qualified
Report duffy September 19, 2020 3:41 PM BST
99% of the population had never heard of Scott until she appeared on our screens for the first time and besides all the people who've heard of Abdu are the only ones who watch QoS anyhow.

Adepitan seems a cheery enough fellow to me.Cool
Report duncan idaho September 19, 2020 3:49 PM BST
just done quick Twitter poll

Best Qualified for QoS?

Abdu 3%

Scott 97%

i rest my case Mischief
Report jamesdean September 19, 2020 3:56 PM BST
Kate Abdu....Ade Adepitan....Sam Quek   Laugh
Report Wesdag September 19, 2020 3:58 PM BST
Abdu? Only ever seen her on Sky Sports News - not exactly a mainstream channel.

Sam Quek more qualified? Don't even think she's been presenting as long as Alex.
Report Wesdag September 19, 2020 3:59 PM BST
Laughable james, talk about scrapping the barrel for an alternative.
Report jamesdean September 19, 2020 4:13 PM BST
Better that than admit she has the job on merit, wes Crazy
Report carrot1960 September 19, 2020 4:19 PM BST
None of three presenters "LEFT" they were fired
Report Wesdag September 19, 2020 4:30 PM BST
So what?

There should be no jobs for life @ BBC.
Report driver2 September 19, 2020 4:34 PM BST
betting_masta

betting_masta
17 Sep 20 18:16
| Topic/replies: 12,820 | Blogger: betting_masta's blog
this is all going too far now. on soccer special the other day there were two pundits, both were bl&ck. are they not embarrassed? they're only getting the job because of the colour of their skin. that's racism!

You took the words out of my mouth, I was thinking exactly the same thing. Gone are the days when someone got a job because they were the most competent. Now it depends on colour and gender.
Report Wesdag September 19, 2020 4:36 PM BST
#SexNotGender

Are you a trans activist?
Report LoyalHoncho September 19, 2020 4:47 PM BST
Instead of dumb and dumber it would be dour and dourer.  I like both of them but what adverts they are for charisma bypasses!
Playing each other on a park would have been worth seeing.  Who would have got who first?
Somehow I feel a wind-up with this post.  Laugh
Report duffy September 19, 2020 4:48 PM BST
Wesdag 19 Sep 20 15:59 
Laughable james, talk about scrapping the barrel for an alternative.

Scraping the barrel, have you seen the jobs Abdu has hadCrazy

Anyway about time you boys moved on to the next cause, there must be a bit of plastic being dropped in the wrong place somewhere I'm sure Devil
Report LoyalHoncho September 19, 2020 4:51 PM BST
Cancel it yourself - I have.  They can fine me as much as they want ( if they catch me - I rarely if ever use BBC now ) but I now refuse to pay a licence fee.  Point blank.
Report Wesdag September 19, 2020 5:03 PM BST
What jobs duffy?
Report duffy September 19, 2020 5:06 PM BST
Look it up Wes
Report Wesdag September 19, 2020 5:09 PM BST
Can't have been up to much if I (like many others I suspect) hardly know the woman let alone know what she's done.
Report duffy September 19, 2020 5:12 PM BST
Abdu out qualifies Scott for the job, it's prem v vauxhall conference really...the point about her not being as high profile on our screens is valid.
Report Wesdag September 19, 2020 5:20 PM BST
Geez, this pile of sh!t show, QOS, isn't something requiring a NASA scientist.

Light entertainment with some sport chucked in.
Report duffy September 19, 2020 5:26 PM BST
Ahh right then, now we've established that Abdo out qualifies her and that the "qualification" required for the job doesn't revolve around ones CV what other reason do you think Scott has qualified on?
Report Wesdag September 19, 2020 5:37 PM BST
You are over thinking it duffy.
Report elise September 19, 2020 5:38 PM BST
re these well known tv presenters, i thought her name was abdo not abdu?
Report Wesdag September 19, 2020 5:39 PM BST
yet duffy knows her very well Laugh
Report duffy September 19, 2020 5:48 PM BST
Wes,

I do think that you may have unconsciously slighted Scott somewhat with your dumbing down of the role and your previous assertion that she'd be suitable for the job!!

It betrayed a somewhat out of date female stereotypeSilly
Report Wesdag September 19, 2020 5:51 PM BST
The show is a pile of sh!t regardless of the sex/race/sexuality of the presenter.

Beggars belief that people are that bothered about who presents it.

Should've been scrapped years ago.
Report elise September 19, 2020 5:54 PM BST
can i throw something in, slightly off the subject but it wouldn't surprise me ..... assume there's an unwritten rule re how the bbc want panel shows/presenter mix to reflect the population rather than it be purely on ability - if the anchor/team leaders of a show are not white/male, it makes their task of putting guests onto the show much easier because they've already fulfilled the unwritten criteria and cannot be criticised, it also gives them a bigger pool of guests and allows them to focus on who's in the news/popular rather than what colour/sexual persuasion /sex they are
Report elise September 19, 2020 5:56 PM BST
the short version of that is they are being sexist/racist etc in selecting the hosts so they can have anyone they like on each week
Report duffy September 19, 2020 6:01 PM BST
Anyway, enough now, my whole issue on here was that Scott is getting all the gigs, whether the people I mentioned are more qualified or not is neither here or there the point is...some people out there must be but aren't getting a look in because like it or not, she has become the poster girl for the current (very worthy) issues.

Consequently she could actually be profiting from a process that we're all supposed to be fighting.

Of course if you question it, it's immediately remarked that you hold that view because she is the wrong shade or you're asked, what don't you like about her with a Dr. Evil imoji attached!!!
Report Wesdag September 19, 2020 6:08 PM BST
Obvs she's the flavour of the month right now.

Was Clare Balding a few years ago.

Look at that pr!ck Rylan - he's everywhere.
Report elisjohn September 19, 2020 6:10 PM BST
what about getting the lovely welshman , gareth thomas  on it, ticks most of bbc boxes
Report duffy September 19, 2020 6:14 PM BST
Actually, Scott...I mean Alex, is growing on me
Report LoyalHoncho September 21, 2020 2:59 AM BST
I agree Wesdag.  Haven't watched it for years.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com