Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
StillLearning
19 Aug 20 17:09
| Topic/replies: 9,775 | Blogger: StillLearning's blog
got Carlisle pencilled in for 9th November

any chance you reckon?
Pause Switch to Standard View any news on when spectators will be...
Show More
Report ashleigh August 19, 2020 4:15 PM BST
possibly the st leger meeting.
Report Willie Shafter. August 19, 2020 4:18 PM BST
slim to non this yr imo.
Report San Quentin August 19, 2020 4:40 PM BST
Hoping for Christmas at Kempton. But not hopeful.
Report Whippin Piccadilly August 19, 2020 4:41 PM BST
Wide of the mark there, Willie IMO. 300 fans were permitted to attend the final 2 days of the of the snooker. Some courses will be allowing a limited no. of racegoers to attend before the end of the year. My guess would be end of Oct/early Nov.
Report isleham August 19, 2020 4:48 PM BST
the slowness of progress indicates members only for quite awhile..imo crazy
Report Willie Shafter. August 19, 2020 5:20 PM BST
covid warnings are still appearing frequently..
Report mrcombustible August 19, 2020 5:30 PM BST
I hear that owners without runners on the day will be the next people admitted
Report The Knight August 20, 2020 2:01 AM BST
I suspect our government is running scared about allowing people back to racecourses because of the fuss with Cheltenham, back in March.

I also suspect that nobody in government understands the different types of racegoer. It is pretty obvious that tracks could now be admitting a limited number of spectators to quiet midweek meetings. In fact, any limit would probably not even be reached at a lot of tracks.

Trouble is, government seems to think that 'going racing' is a big jolly-up with drinking a major factor. Hence, they are scared stiff of the latter.

I further suspect football is also playing a part in this. I voted for them (only because the alternative was even worse) but Boris and his anti-euro mates are desperate not to upset those in areas that unexpectedly voted them in - especially in the working class parts of the north.

Hence, by opening pubs and, initially, allowing package holidays (too soon IMO) they thought they were giving their new found (but only temporary) working class pals what they want. It was misjudged and comes as a result of government trying to govern by worrying about who they might upset rather than just doing things properly and with common sense.

God forbid, though, the perceived upper class nature of horse racing be catered for! A really daft situation and I do not understand why the RCA are not all over this. I still think that we will see a return to the tracks for the public between Oct 1st and Oct 31st but this wait with no news is tortuous.

Lastly, why do we need pilot trials now anyway? With owners able to take five others surely we are already trialling limited crowds.

The trial at Goodwood which was postponed sounded like a farce with people forced to stay one side of the stands or the other! If we are not careful, any eventual return to the tracks for genuine racing fans will be 'trial by jobsworths' anyway. Sad to say. I can already picture one or two of the security personnel who man racecourses in normal times salivating at the thought of stopping people doing this and that etc!
Report TheAnorak August 20, 2020 7:42 AM BST
I'm very cynical about these 'crowd trials'. With all the limitations they impose in terms of health checks, masks, restricted areas, social distancing, giving out names and addresses, what exactly is this a 'trial' of, because it bears no resemblance to going racing as you and I (and thousands of others) understand that term. So what will the trial prove, except that racecourse managers are just as capable of putting up barriers and signs as any other business.

By what criteria would such a trial be judged a success, and what further relaxation would that success allow. There's a clear risk that any acceptance of these rules (protocols makes them sound more official but less threatening) becomes the norm for the foreseeable future. Would that mean crowd size limits that would kill the likes of Ascot and Cheltenham? Just today, there's a report suggesting football crowds will be restricted to 30% of ground capacity.

The problem is that none of this has been discussed, as the courses are all too excited with being allowed to stage a 'trial' - they don't seem to be considering what it means for the long term. It all seems a very ,very long way away from turning up at the gate on the day, paying for admission and then having no further contact with officialdom.
Report mrcombustible August 20, 2020 7:57 AM BST
About 100 owners at Fontwell on Tuesday, lots of security people to enforce the rules.All people on the racing side of the track wearing unnecessary masks in the open air.Two bookmakers and tote terminals doing little if any business. Pay bar contactless only.
One way systems everywhere, not an enjoyable experience.
As other posters have said these trials are pointless
Report GAZO August 20, 2020 7:59 AM BST
cheltenham could be in big trouble even if members only are allowed to attend meetings this year,i imagine lots of people go to cheltenham races and not actually see a horse and if they start watching it in a pub with all their friends it wont be long before they see  its pretty much the same as what they pay £30 to £40 each to do at the races
Report The Pies August 20, 2020 8:06 AM BST
Agree Anorak, I won't be going racing when it does return unless there is complete freedom of movement. I can accept closure of indoor areas but not outside.

Government approach to sport seems at odds with other easing of restrictions, hopefully a more nuanced approach will emerge quickly which will see quieter midweek meetings reopening.
Report artful dodger August 20, 2020 8:13 AM BST
Deauville over the weekend very busy, lots of people enjoying a day out at the races, some wearing masks, some not, not a covid virus to be seen anywhere!!!
Report the wire August 20, 2020 9:01 AM BST
Spectators allowed at some non-league football grounds from this Saturday. Reduced capacity but should be enough to accommodate their usual crowds.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves August 20, 2020 9:54 AM BST
There's way more votes in keeping the facemask w@nkers happy than racegoers.
Report layingisthewayforward August 20, 2020 9:54 AM BST
I have tickets for the Arc and was extremely confident I'd be there but starting to get nervous now. Just let us back on a racecourse FFS
Report The Knight August 20, 2020 10:50 AM BST
Anorak, agree with most of what you say. But the tracks being excited about staging trials doesn't ring true. I fear it is the opposite.

I fear that the tracks are all sitting there, with one or two exceptions, hoping another track will do it so they can avoid the expense and trouble.

Hence, with few tracks willing to stage these really daft trials I wonder of racing will miss out on the 'pilot events' - though what and where they are going to be seems to be a long time coming.

I also fear that tracks may not actually want racegoers for the rest of 2020. It would not surprise me if tracks had revised their 2020 budgets to show no racegoer income for the rest of the year - I know Arena Racing have. Hence, to have to accomodate racegoers with all the bio-secure measures would be too much of a disruption to their figures. I do hope I am wrong but the way corporate accounting is done today is sometimes just plain daft.

Lastly, it worried me yesterday to see Edinburgh abandon their trial for next week because 'nobody in government got back to them'. What that means is nobody in government wanted to stand up a take a decision! This has the potential to be a right mess.

Easy to lockdown in big dramatic gestures but bl**dy hard to come out of it again.
Report Willie Shafter. August 20, 2020 11:04 AM BST
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8646411/Germany-records-highest-number-
coronavirus-cases-April.html?ito=social-facebook&fbclid=IwAR3JRkI2ba7CD-
0BXWJeOtqGllexDZGHbYq_i18H5Q-n7IHPaE3KtUcxn0I&fbclid=IwAR3SUhCQj-
s4et1NX3gxnE99Gky22QWVGMmVWS0WiML0JxbnSP2RLPisELE
Report truehoncho August 20, 2020 11:05 AM BST
Easy to lockdown in big dramatic gestures but bl**dy hard to come out of it again--- You have hit the nail on the head there Knight.
Report TheAnorak August 20, 2020 11:52 AM BST
Presumably in the case of Musselburgh, 'nobody in government', would refer to the devolved administration run by Wee Krankie, not the Westminster shambles.

I thought Goodwood seemed pretty keen, although perhaps that was just for public consumption. But the cancellation highlighted the risk of letting the government set the agenda, giving them the power to shut everything down again at 24hrs notice.
Report The Knight August 20, 2020 12:31 PM BST
Anorak. Yes, it may well have been Sturgeon and her mates. I think in itself, though, this lack of response from Wee Krankie (very good) may have demonstrated what much of this whole carry on has become.

In a speech earlier this month Krankie said she hoped to see a re-introduction of crowds to sports arenas in Scotland from September 14th.

Two things to note from that. 1/ She just has to be different from Boris who had said October 1st 2/ She could not possibly have Mussellburgh getting to the party early next week.

I fear much of the messing about now will be based on the pi**ing contest between various heads of this and heads of that. There will be trade-offs galore and, at the moment, it seems that teachers have got the upperhand - they certainly do the most moaning.

Why there has to be a relationship between the little darlings going back to school and 300 people going racing on a cold autumn afternoon in the fresh air, I do not know.

Moving on, despite Mr Shafter trying to scaremonger about the rise in cases (that will happen as things open up), France does not seem to be blaming people going to the tracks for its increase in infections. And nor should it.

The whole thing is a mess and tailor made for the jobsworths of the UK to thrive at all levels.

Lastly, yes Goodwood were keen on their trial but they ended up wasting money on it and so I fear other tracks do not want to go down the same road.

I will say it again. Why do we need 'trials'? We are already having them with owners allowed to take up to six guests. Perhaps, though, the government believe owners are still all upper class gentry who are immune to the infections the scummy rest of us carry!
Report TheAnorak August 20, 2020 12:54 PM BST
I owe my niece who lives with her family in Scotland, for the name 'Wee Krankie'.

The key 'jobsworth' racing has to deal with is a real life Nigel, the Minister for Sport. Background, Christ Church College Oxford, MBA in the States, worked for Arthur Anderson, Deloitte and Google before becoming an MP. Seems a safe bet that he's never been seen down by the last fence at Fontwell!
Report truehoncho August 20, 2020 2:07 PM BST
They have to keep you believing that their disastrous and unnecessary destruction of the economy was in your best interests so horse racing and other sports are the scapegoats for their policies. Most of the economy is up and running and the infection rate is just something to scare you with. As you say there is no need for trials (political nonsense) just allow limited numbers at small meeting and go from there.
Report howard August 20, 2020 2:12 PM BST
Deaths and serious hospital cases are nothing like they were. Plenty of the old and pre-virus unhealthy are already dead. There is another agenda. Control. The vaccine might do plenty of damage though.
Report layingisthewayforward August 20, 2020 2:18 PM BST
There is absolutely no reason why crowds shouldn't be allowed back on racecourses ( limited number obvs)
Report workrider August 20, 2020 2:22 PM BST
Looks as if the Knavesmire is a good spot for watching the racing...Plenty of people on site as well...
Report DOUBLED August 20, 2020 3:43 PM BST
Don't panic... The BHA are sure to sort this out LaughLaugh
Report ekbalko August 20, 2020 3:53 PM BST
Tbf workrider we are social distancing well
Report Willie Shafter. August 20, 2020 4:34 PM BST
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8646425/Could-Wigan-freed
-lockdown-Andy-Burnham-says-clear-measures-worked.html?ito=social-facebook&fbclid=IwAR03m68t2mgGiw2ebmjg0Qds9S2haBNrHyqS9T2
gONMhMD2sLB9mCVZmJAc

gettin worserer...
Report Normanston Rangers August 20, 2020 6:59 PM BST
Why have the tracks not included members with owners in this 2 week trial.
Report isleham August 20, 2020 9:23 PM BST
Just read my football team are having a crowd of 450 people (must not exceed 15% of ground capacity) for a pre season friendly next Tuesday so why can't racecourses do similar
Report isleham August 20, 2020 9:42 PM BST
apologies Wire for repeating your earlier post..just didn't see it
Report Willie Shafter. August 21, 2020 5:54 PM BST
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8651115/
Coronavirus-Households-Oldham-Blackburn-banned-meeting.html
Report Facts August 21, 2020 6:38 PM BST

artful dodger 20 Aug 20 08:13 
Deauville over the weekend very busy, lots of people enjoying a day out at the races, some wearing masks, some not, not a covid virus to be seen anywhere!!
!

France seeing significant spikes in new cases
Report screaming from beneaththewaves August 21, 2020 6:55 PM BST
They're wearing masks all day. Of course they're making themselves ill. What do you expect? Stupid gits.
Report sixtwosix August 21, 2020 7:10 PM BST
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8651115/
Coronavirus-Households-Oldham-Blackburn-banned-meeting.html

My village in Oldham has zero ,yes zero new cases in the last two weeks.
Who would think that political correctness and walking on egg shells would be more important that dealing with a pandemic.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves August 21, 2020 7:36 PM BST
Keep clapping. Keep clapping.
Report hulk23 August 21, 2020 7:37 PM BST
go down your local high street tomorrow, be packed with shoppers.  this is acceptable as they are helping the struggling retail outlets.  if it's ok to walk around town shopping all day it's surely ok for a limited number to walk around a racecourse. 

it's probably safer.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves August 21, 2020 7:43 PM BST
Yes. But they're all silent and miserable in their masks.

Racegoers laugh and smile, and that's completely unacceptable.
Report truehoncho August 21, 2020 7:47 PM BST
unfortunately Hulk its too late for 7000 M&S workers. If it keeps going this way it will be racing jobs next.
Report ribero1 August 21, 2020 7:59 PM BST
Been at York this week,very relaxed in general,however the trainers and staff stay in the parade ring and all have masks on and they watch the race on a screen above us so when you look at the parade ring and they're all fixed on the screen with their masks on its like something from a bloody horror film.
Report glentoby August 21, 2020 8:07 PM BST
Buried anyone yet screaming or found any connection to anyone you may have killed? Simply asking?
Report glentoby August 21, 2020 8:11 PM BST
Anorak,you sound more implausible by the post,if you desire attention to the extent you appear to why not stick to Social Media for celebs or should I say celibates?Sad
Report ronnie rails August 21, 2020 8:15 PM BST
ribero

hope you enjoyed it as you said it was not about the money,
have you been invited back in October
you said business on weds was poor p worked in a town centre shop last week and took less bets than you did on wednesday.
have a good day tomorrow sad to say I wont be there.

have a good evening
Ronnie
Report Manoleeds August 22, 2020 9:26 AM BST
Ronnie -are the staff attempting to police muzzles? Choice 1 -sit at home and watch on TV, choice 2 watch in pub -or choice 3 go to betting shop hmm. Sadly as not as an owner go to course is not an option for me.
Report ronnie rails August 22, 2020 9:39 AM BST
Manoleeds
glad to say the customers have been fine regarding  the masks.
the sad thing is the shops are desperate were quiet before lockdown and are a lot worse
plenty of silver money early on, but the shops have NO RACE TO RACE CUSTOMERS.
have a good day
regards
Ronnie.
Report FatPunt August 22, 2020 11:38 AM BST
Wanted to go Cheltenham on the 24th October but it's looking more unlikely as every day passes. In my honest opinion, I can't see any form of mass gatherings being permitted for the foreseeable future. If there are any form of restrictions like restricted numbers attending or face masks to be worn at all times, I think would enjoy myself more watching the coverage on television. Also with the R rate increasing above 1, it wouldn't be the wisest decision to attend anyway.
Report Dotchinite August 22, 2020 11:51 AM BST
By the time crowds are allowed again probably half of the courses will no longer exist.
Report mrcombustible August 22, 2020 12:57 PM BST
The R number is bollix, no one knows what it is. You would need to test 100% of the population at the same time to get an accurate R.

Most new cases are amongst the young.

Hospital deaths are minimal.

Open the racecourses immediately
Report truehoncho August 22, 2020 2:01 PM BST
I agree with you Mr Combustible. Unfortunately common sense has flown and its all politics now.
Report mrcombustible August 22, 2020 9:03 PM BST
At the beginning, when beds were full and deaths common, doctors were still trying to understand the best treatment for coronavirus. “In March, if you came in and had trouble breathing, you’d be put straight on a ventilator,” says Alison Pittard, dean of the Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine.

This was what, in frantic Zoom calls to Italy and China, they had been told was the best approach. The learning curve since then has been steep.

These days, Dr Pittard and her colleagues are more careful about who is put on ventilators, lest invasive treatment causes more problems. They also have a drug, dexamethasone, that can significantly improve survival among those who do reach ventilators.

It would be easy to claim that we are seeing the results of this. In Britain, even as recorded cases rise, deaths are not following. In the western world daily deaths and death rates are falling.

But Dr Pittard is not prepared to take credit on behalf of her colleagues. “Yes, the way we manage patients has changed,” she says. “But I don’t think that has had much impact on mortality.” Some statisticians have argued that the effect is an illusion, created by more testing. She disagrees, at least to the extent that more tests explain everything. “Something does appear to have changed. We don’t know for certain what that is at the moment.”

She has a theory though. It may not be that the disease has altered, or that treatment has. It could simply be that the people getting it have. “I think the group of people who are being infected is different now,” she says. One explanation, favoured by Dr Pittard, is that the virus has already claimed the lives of those most at risk.

“I think the more susceptible people have got the virus and been sick with it,” she said. “Now the people who are getting it respond in a different way.”

Another, not necessarily mutually exclusive, suggestion was put forward this week by Takeshi Kasai, a senior World Health Organisation official.

Covid-19, a disease of the old, is becoming an infection of the young. “People in their twenties, thirties and forties are driving the spread,” he said. “The epidemic is changing.”

In Britain, as the number of Covid-19 patients on ventilators continues to drop, from more than 3,000 to 70, infection rates have risen by 35 per cent among the under-44s. In Australia, the Philippines and Japan, more than half of new infections are now in the young.

In continental Europe too, where rising cases have not been matched by rising deaths, it seems like we are seeing a breaking of this year’s fragile social contract — that the young, who do not get sick, are increasingly refusing to suffer on behalf of the old, who do.

That is, arguably, fine, provided it continues to spread only among the young. The problem is, says Richard Grewelle from Stanford University, that if Europe looks across the Atlantic it will see that this does not happen. “When public spaces reopened in May and June, young adults were more likely to be seen socialising than older adults,” he said. This could be seen most clearly in Florida where, a bit after what would traditionally have been spring break, there was a spike in cases among those in their early twenties.

It did not stay there for long. “These individuals came in contact with older relatives and friends, which has driven the subsequent increase in deaths [now up two to three times since the daily lows in June]. Similar features are probably true in some European countries,” he said. If he is correct, then we would expect to see first a shift in the population getting infected then, a fortnight later, a rise in deaths.

With coronavirus, however, there is always another theory. Paul Tambyah, president-elect of the International Society of Infectious Diseases, said that an increasingly common mutation in the coronavirus may be making it less deadly. It is a truism of virology that viruses, which have no interest in killing their host, evolve to be increasingly benign. They fade into the background to the point where they become a “common cold”. Is this what we are seeing?

It is not impossible but, other scientists said, it is unlikely. Brendan Wren, from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, said: “It would be offering false hope to suppose it is weakening yet.” He did offer yet another explanation for why the disease’s apparent severity could be diminishing. It could be that what is key is not who it infects, but how.

“With hand hygiene and social distancing, the infectious dose would be lower,” he said. Instead of sitting next to someone on the bus and breathing in exhaled air for 15 minutes, we catch the virus as a glancing blow — and, like a glancing blow, can fight it off better.

As ever with the pandemic, simple questions have a complex answer — normally several. But if there is one lesson most virologists do agree on, it is that countries have not yet gone wrong when they have prepared for the worst.

This is why Dr Pittard hopes that the idea the virus is weakening, or health services are getting stronger, does not take hold. “I wouldn’t want the public to be lulled into a false sense of security.”

THE TIMES
Report The Knight August 22, 2020 9:35 PM BST
I would bet that government now regrets touting that R figure. It really has to be taken in context of the percentage of the population currently infected. If you have 1,000 people from 5,000 population infected and an R of 1 you have an issue. But nothing like as much with 1,000 infected out of 2 million.

So, the R figure is being misunderstood and latched on to by the media. It should not be.

As for opening racecourses, well this has become a class / political issue. This government is absolutely desperate to be seen to pleasing their new found, and will prove to be short-lived, voters in working class areas.

Hence, give them their pubs, their foreign holidays (good move that!) etc. But there is one final thing the government cannot yet give their new found mates and that is attendance at football. So, they can hardly open racetracks before football grounds for fear of appearing to favour the upper classes. It is a totally stupid way to run the country.

Not opening racetracks is now plain daft. Most midweek attendances could be easily controlled and would almost all consist of older people who would have no interest in flouting Covid-safe rules - like the young enjoy doing in pubs and the like.

Having said all that, there might just be a more sinister reason there is a foot dragging about opening tracks. Today, Nick Rust - and I will be pleased to see the back of his inability to think beyond what he appears to look like on social media - said next year's fixture list might be more geared towards the emergency one of this summer - IE longer cards and less meetings.

I cannot think of a better way to turn off regular racegoers - and possibly corporate ones as well - with that model. But the tracks love the idea because they keep the media money while cutting right down on expenses. Hence, I do hope racing is not heading towards a model where on course attendance doesn't matter most of the time.

If it is, we might be seeing the ground work done right now by delaying racegoers coming back in the hope they lose interest and give it up. I hope I am wrong, but money is the be all and end all in the UK nowadays. Thus, government might well being lent upon by certain vested interests in racing.

Lastly, Nick Luck also said that most jockeys much preferred the longer cards and less meetings. Talk about the tail wagging the dog! All my years in IT I much preferred evening shifts to the long grind of nights but I could hardly tell my various employers to change it for my convenience.

Nobody is forced to be a jockey, and no jockey has to drive around quite so much as they do (learn to live within their means if they don't earn enough). So, sorry to say, the jockeys interests should come behind that of those who pay to attend tracks! And we do no want marathon cards stretching across 4 hours or more - well I don't anyway and it is long odds on I am not alone.

Latest rant ends.
Report isleham August 22, 2020 11:39 PM BST
latest covid patients admitted to hospitals are 97 with 72 in total on ventilators
and daily deaths in single figures every day but still the scientists want to shut
down the country again (thats 66 million of us) because of some spurious R rate.
this really is getting ridiculous and more so everyday so lets get back to the racecourses
Report GAZO August 23, 2020 8:20 AM BST
i prefer the longer meetings and if you dont you can go home after six races if you want
Report mrcombustible August 23, 2020 10:56 AM BST
I could tolerate 9 races if there was a 25 minute gap between races.

This new norm of 35 minutes is ridiculous like Wolves today
Report truehoncho August 23, 2020 12:25 PM BST
Knight you are right. The R number is mickey mouse. They cannot possibly know what it is until everyone has been tested. Maybe the idea of less meetings and more races is to justify track closures? I can see the likes of Carlisle being sacrificed as long as the Jockey Club keep all the races.
Report GAZO August 23, 2020 12:32 PM BST
from reading on the racingpost site Goodwood has sent out begging letters to members,so we can expect some closures once this is over
Report mrcombustible August 23, 2020 12:50 PM BST
Goodwood sent the members a bottle of Champagne then a few days later the begging letter.

The annual member  I know has no intention of bailing out the Earl of March who owns a large chunk of West Sussex
Report truehoncho August 23, 2020 1:11 PM BST
What did this begging letter contain?
Report mrcombustible August 23, 2020 5:24 PM BST
The begging letter asked you not to look for a refund on 2020 sub despite no racing. In return you get your name on a plaque or something similar
Report SeeMoreBusiness August 23, 2020 6:33 PM BST
Interestingly, Newmarket have advertised on their website that the meetings up to, but not including, the Cambridgeshire meeting, are behind closed doors. Just a ray of hope. Not telling fibs either (relating to an earlier post on another thread which was regarded by a Forum contributor, completely incorrectly, as being dishonest).
Report windsor knot August 23, 2020 10:49 PM BST
went to york yesterday , watched the ebor from next to the starting stalls . desperate i know but i love the city too ....interesting that the members and sponsors  seats were all set up with stickers to ensure social distancing . maybe planning for october ? much as i want to get back i don't want to go racing in a straightjacket . ironically , racecourse empty but city packed . little distancing going on . we are still paying for cheltenham are we not ?
Report ekbalko August 23, 2020 10:55 PM BST
The date for the opening up was October 1st and I haven`t heard anything different since.
Report SeeMoreBusiness August 23, 2020 11:07 PM BST
I think Newmarket, along with Doncaster, are in the running for a  "trial" meeting. As Goodwood was.
Report SeeMoreBusiness August 23, 2020 11:12 PM BST
good for you Windsor. I think we are simply the most obvious target for the illogicality of the present system. God knows why racing and golf can't welcome spectators.  But I fear, as a post above remarks, that we will take our place behind footy
Report Fashion Fever August 24, 2020 12:06 AM BST
ceserwitch  day hq good to go
Report The Knight August 24, 2020 12:45 PM BST
seemorebusiness...My reply on another thread about Cheltenham was correct - although I didn't mean to imply you were being dishonest.

On Sunday morning I spoke on the phone to a Cheltenham annual member who I have known for years. He has had no invite to a Zoom call and no indication of the balloting you spoke about. So, it seems either your information was incorrect or Cheltenham are being selective with which annual members they impart information to. Now, don't get me wrong, it could be the latter in today's mad age but it makes even less sense if that is what they are doing.

As for Goodwood, are they bonkers? If they had offered a 10% discount for each of the next 5 years then they may have had more takers - or if had asked to be gifted 50% of the 2020 fee. But a straight forward bit of begging for such a wealthy estate shows little in the way of sense - or, and I hope it isn't, sheer desperation.
Report The Knight August 24, 2020 12:55 PM BST
And why not 10 race cards, or more, but with 20 minute intervals? It would be harder for the staff with the horses but not the end of the world.

On two occasions at Southwell in recent years, there has been a delay because both ambulances were off track. When they returned, 6 races were completed with 15 minute intervals before the light went (pre-floodlight days). Most punters preferred the short intervals. So, perhaps there is a way forward.

And yes, the poster who said those of us who don't want longer cards could leave early (or arrive late come to that) is correct. But, believe me, racecourse attendances will noticeably reduce if we are handed 10 race cards or more stretching across 4 hours!

And so will corporate attendances because most of my long experience in the corporate world suggests the favoured way of guests is that they go into work first and do 2 or 3 hours graft before leaving for the tracks. Longer cards will put an end to that, as the will start so early.

Longer cards of up to 8 races is bearable, but not 10 or more and to adopt such would be very short-sighted of the racecourses.
Report ItsMeSwaddle August 24, 2020 2:49 PM BST
Wouldnt be surprised to see Newcastle Southwell Kempton and Lingfield start to run dual cards.

8 NH and then 8 on the AW

Less racedays more races have to make economic sense to me.
Report ItsMeSwaddle August 24, 2020 2:50 PM BST
Not Lingfield no floodlights but get the point*
Report punts August 26, 2020 3:08 PM BST
NEW: Horseracing granted approval to host pilot events with spectators.

Our first event will take place @DoncasterRaces for the St Leger Festival from Wednesday 9th September.

(twitter.com/TheRCA)
Report ashleigh August 26, 2020 3:12 PM BST
confirmed a pilot crowd for the st leger meeting,warwick sept 21st, and the cambridgeshire meeting.
does not say how many will be let in or for how many days.
Report ian merseyside August 26, 2020 3:45 PM BST
This could all go tits up again if a few people start coughing in Doncaster.  It all seems too slow to me and the powers that be don't realise that this is becoming urgent.  Some venues are going to go bust soon, unless the government are planning a financial bale out.  Maybe Rishi's magic money tree still has some spare cash?!
Report scrabbler August 26, 2020 3:51 PM BST
Can someone say how many days racing Donny has lost in the last 12 months ? I can think of at least three. Perhaps not the best choice of track for a trial.
Report SeeMoreBusiness August 26, 2020 4:01 PM BST
scrabbler, we'll know we're doomed if they are called off with waterlogging in early September. Mind you, I'm so pessimistic about the whole thing I can see it happening. I should be ok for Newmarket at the end of the month. Joined for the first time as an annula member and haven't taken the badge out the envelope yet!
Report ashleigh August 26, 2020 4:08 PM BST
crowd for day 1 of donny max 3,640, other 3 days 6202. you would hope more bookmakers will be allowed on course.
Report scrabbler August 26, 2020 4:32 PM BST
Seemore, they lost a recent meeting due to problems with the electricity supply in the area !
Report adge August 26, 2020 7:39 PM BST
doncaster only have 900 members..not surprised really though
Report SeeMoreBusiness August 26, 2020 8:14 PM BST
seemed low to me adge. easier to separate them though. Zones again, just like Goodwood. Not satisfactory but needs must. Hopefully a little more freedom of movement come Newmarket. God knows, if we can't move around their , there is no hope for a raesonable "experience" for ages. Spring at the earliest
Report SeeMoreBusiness August 26, 2020 8:15 PM BST
First "their" should be "there"!
Report windsor knot August 26, 2020 9:18 PM BST
i don't want to sound ungrateful here because i have banged on about people back racing ...but looking at donny's website and presuming maybe york october follows suit , it does not sound like the racecourse experience i want . i just don't get the severe restrictions on movement . on saturday , ebor day , the course was empty . i was swimming in a hotel pool 300yrds away with people i didn't know and shared changing rooms , no mask required .....none of it makes sense .
Report SeeMoreBusiness August 26, 2020 9:25 PM BST
spot on windsor. But what to do?
Report ribero1 August 27, 2020 9:18 AM BST
Agree Windsor,get that we've got to start somewhere but it hardly sounds like much fun as it looks as though they're going to tell you when you can arrive and when you've go to leave too and no doubt stay in the zone all day,i guess like many other businesses they have to be seen to do the right thing and we are obviously a long way off any sort of normality unfortunately.
Report truehoncho August 27, 2020 10:02 AM BST
Unfortunately I agree with you Windsor. Maybe they should have fewer people and less restrictions? The only reason that we are a long way from normality is because there is no challenge to anything that is imposed.
Report adge August 27, 2020 1:53 PM BST
i'm leaning towards giving it a miss.
i will be going down though on all four days but more likely with the car near the 3 furlong marker.
doncaster manager yesterday on sky racing said there could be fifty bookmakers in attendance, made me smile
Report GAZO August 27, 2020 2:12 PM BST
what do they mean by zone ?,is it you stay in tatts and members or are they being split into smaller area's
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk August 27, 2020 2:17 PM BST
will people be allowed to play inrunning at the tracks on their machines?
Report adge August 27, 2020 3:11 PM BST
another word for a zone is a fenced pen...you can't move out of your fixed pen all day. some pens will be in members , some in the silver ring , some in the cenre of the course , some in tatts.
as long as your machine is a phone  , yes jumping
Report truehoncho August 27, 2020 3:13 PM BST
another word for a zone is a fenced pen.  Laugh
Report TheAnorak August 27, 2020 3:22 PM BST
Adge,

Potential there for a TV show - Doncaster security staff taking it in turns steering punters into their allocated pen and getting marks out of ten for bad language, jobsworth quotient, etc.

One Man and his Hi-Vis Jacket.
Report GAZO August 27, 2020 3:27 PM BST
that could be better viewing than the racing
Report ekbalko August 27, 2020 4:04 PM BST
I thought it would be better trialling a small midweek meeting.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com