Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
These 66 comments are related to the topic:
Handicap Book .

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 66
By:
Ramruma
When: 16 Aug 20 05:16
TBA -- I'd always assumed they were commission agents, a posh and old-fashioned name for putter-onners.
By:
lead on
When: 16 Aug 20 05:26
Used to buy "Weekend Special"??......I think it was a RFO publication..on sale at bookstalls...late 70's/early 80's I think..nothing all that special about it if I remember right,just a list of selections and a little reasoning
By:
workrider
When: 16 Aug 20 12:23
onlooker, get up into that loft right now! Laugh..I love the I.F. and even now when i can't go racing it lifts my spirits , I'll send you this weeks in exchange for a H/book...I know the editor Leo who was also a student in the I.N.S..
Themightymac, thanks for the heads up re the U.K. papers , but its sitting reading the paper that matters to me,i'm old school...
By:
screaming from beneaththewaves
When: 16 Aug 20 15:17
Dodger McCartney, on spotting a punter in the Tote Credit office at Worcester consulting Chaseform Note Book:

"You want to hide that. If you have an accident, and they find that thing on you, they'll lock you up in the bin!"

"I'm sorry?"

"It's all written by a blind woman who never goes racing, you know."

Which was a bit unfair on Mary Truman: she didn't write the whole thing, and she never missed a meeting at Newton Abbot or Devon & Exeter.
By:
workrider
When: 16 Aug 20 15:26
Dodger was some punter from what I've heard , killed on way home from the races I believe....
By:
Arklearkle
When: 16 Aug 20 15:57
Workrider I may be able to come up with a copy for you but it wont be in the next month or so. From what period are you looking for - I dont have any of when it was in book form. I threw many out when i was moving house about twenty five years ago
By:
workrider
When: 16 Aug 20 16:16
Around the 70s would be brilliant Arklearkle, thanks very much .I will pay you for it...
By:
screaming from beneaththewaves
When: 16 Aug 20 17:11
Dodger was the great survivor of the Ring, even through the grim years of the 4% tax. He was a natural comedian too, and he loved being Dodger - the character everyone on every jumps track in England and Wales knew or wanted to know.

He popped up in a couple of articles Brough Scott wrote for the Sunday Times in the early '80s - one an interview with the man at his base on the S Wales border, and another where Scott took the race train to Folkestone one day in the depths of winter, and Dodger was there, of course, full of optimism - "this is our year!"

You can read them in On and Off the Rails - The Best of Brough Scott (1984). A terrific book.
By:
Oldgit1
When: 16 Aug 20 17:16
Another one I used to buy was the Racehorse a 4 page paper with masses of information.
They had a Best Bet of the Week that used do well. I was at Kempton one weekday when it was an unraced horse in the last race, possibly a 2yo. It opened at around 33's so seemed a no hoper so I left to get to the station before the rush. I could hear the commentary as I went and it won.  I think it was called Persian something
By:
onlooker
When: 16 Aug 20 17:56
Yes - Facts - I subscribed to the Note-Books, too  - and agree ... they gave you a further dimension

It was the forerunner of what is now described as ANALYSIS under the Results in Racing Post

I deliberately bought an old copy off ebay a couple of years ago - Just to get ONE Race Result from a year before I regularly subscribed.

it was a race when I was 19 years old - when I was getting £16 per week as a Credit Office Settler and Phone bet taker (including Saturday's off course)

It was paid -  'in my hand' .... 'Tax Paid' etc  ("but never tell anybody") said the Jewish Bookmaker that I worked for - and if ever anybody asks where you work ... "tell them Alexander's Employment Agency".

No doubt another scam - whereby the staff for the Bookies were being 'hired' from the "Employment Agency" .... BOTH owned by the Bookmaker, of course. Happy

Back to the race - as I said - I was getting £16 per week ... and I had a £5 Each-Way on a horse ...

like earning £800 per week nowadays ... and having £250 Each-Way on a horse.

The horse WON at 20/1.... £125 Winnings!

I got the train home after work - and then, instead of catching the bus ... Jumped into a Taxi home - for a couple of quid.

I felt like a millionaire.  Happy
By:
Arklearkle
When: 16 Aug 20 17:56
Workrider I could not be certain I've one from then but if I have you're more than welcome to it. I'll check the jungle (attic) and let you know but have quite a bit on for the next few weeks and will let you know then.
By:
saxon farm
When: 16 Aug 20 18:48
A pleasing tale!
Thanks onlooker.
By:
onlooker
When: 16 Aug 20 19:00
Cheers - saxon - It certainly was one of those days/races which I will never  forget - in every detail, too ... including listening to the Extel commentary ... but without being able to shout out.  SadGrin
-------------

*  I have a funny tale  for tomorrow - too few people around to appreciate it on a Sunday evening.

*  I will be putting it on the  - 'Leopardstown or Lepertown'  Thread.
By:
Hayden
When: 16 Aug 20 19:06
Did some business with the Handicap Book myself , does anyone remember an advert on either page 3 or page 5 about 3 inches high .

Simply said " Send me £1 " with a few contact options underneath.

Over £29,000 received over a period of advertising time with the donors having no clue as to what they were getting for their £1

Not much in the way of rules or proofing around then so anything was game within reason.
By:
workrider
When: 16 Aug 20 19:59
Thanks again Arklearkle, any issue will do.
By:
mrcombustible
When: 16 Aug 20 21:19
Leo Powell editor Irish Field, brother Brendan Powell
By:
kemo sabe
When: 17 Aug 20 09:10
i have to say this thread does indeed reach the parts others cant reach ,   its a melange of good humour , stories and information for anyone with an interest in racing and  its people , 

it makes me ashamed ok only slightly at the drivel i post on here ,   i hope it continues for a while yet , i like the idea of folk falling through the ceiling in searching for a paper from 1980 and emerging with it waved in the air like , Souness and the FA cup
By:
top2rated
When: 17 Aug 20 09:21
workrider will be eternally grateful, Arklearkle!

By:
kemo sabe
When: 17 Aug 20 09:28
now that is very very funny , im impressed credit where its due ,  no one was hurt in the making of this picture i hope
By:
workrider
When: 17 Aug 20 11:03
Top2rated....LaughLaughLaugh
By:
jumper3
When: 17 Aug 20 14:06
I too bought the Clive Holt books when they came out. While his CD 11 system did bring in winners, it always struggled to make a profit, everytime I tried to follow it. If I remember correctly though, it wasn't too bad in finding placed horses in quality handicaps and at pleasing odds. A mate of mine use to form his placepot picks around the Clive Holt system and had some luck following these in the top quality handicaps of the time, late 80s if I remember correctly.
By:
steerforth
When: 17 Aug 20 15:32
The Clive Holt book (Become a successful punter with fineform as your guide) was a watershed for me. The ad was so tempting and week after week I would tell myself - ignore it, dont be a sucker, until I eventually caved and risked it. Yes the formula applied without thought was, (and still is) nonsense,it was a hook for the sale, but the book was a roadmap to the right way to approach betting on horses. Before reading it I was a doubles and trebles punter, the odd nice return, masking inevitable ongoing failure. After reading it, I never went back to that again. It's easy to forget that all the best literature on how to bet came later, and while I'd like to think the likes of Mark Coton, Nick Mordin, Andy Beyer and most especially, Alan Potts, would have put me right eventually, that little red book with the shiny pages still has a special place on my shelves. I'm not and never will be a professional punter, but the pleasure of trying to think and act like one has kept me happy for years, all thanks to that first step.
By:
onlooker
When: 17 Aug 20 16:51
top2rated 17 Aug 20 09:21 

workrider will be eternally grateful, Arklearkle!

-------------

Brilliant - GrinHappy  -  How that has  not happened at my house beggars belief.

I have more stuff in the Loft than in the rooms underneath.
By:
stewarts rise
When: 17 Aug 20 17:16
That picture reminds me of when i was about 13/14, my dad was in hospital and i was at home on my own. I was on my way to catch the bus to school(Grammar of course) when along came my mate who was a bit of a bully at that age. "Your old mans in hospital isn't he, give us the keys to your house i'm on the wag today". Handed keys over saying don't go upstairs, as i'd hidden the money dad had left under the floorboards and hadn't put the boards back. Came back home to find  a big hole in the ceiling which he'd put through with his foot, luckily he never found the money! Had to get my neighbour to come and plaster it back up and reapply some woodchip paper to cover it up, never told my dad a thing!Grin
By:
workrider
When: 17 Aug 20 17:19
I hope it wont deter you onlooker...Laugh..Now up them stairs...
By:
stewarts rise
When: 17 Aug 20 17:21
Sorry workrider binned all mine about 10/12 years ago, had hundreds, but the loft would have come crashing down again if i'd kept them.
By:
workrider
When: 17 Aug 20 17:24
Laugh Stewarts , no problem mate...
Page 2 of 2  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo