Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
workrider
14 Aug 20 16:45
| Topic/replies: 31,727 | Blogger: workrider's blog
Published by the Sporting Chronicle, just had a look on ebay and some are in poor condition , if anyone on here has one to spare I will buy it off them , Nostalgia kicking in I guess .I used to buy it every week and spent many a night burning the midnight oil, loved the systems page and convinced myself the Holy Grail was in those pages...

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 66
By:
workrider
When: 15 Aug 20 01:14
I was hoping one of the old timers might have one tucked away they no longer want and would sell it...
By:
second again
When: 15 Aug 20 06:59
I bought it for years,but threw it away every week.I remember some readers would save the form pull outs and make a form book.
By:
know all
When: 15 Aug 20 08:07
split second speed ratings ken hussey was years ahead with his timings , plenty tried to match it but it was never the same when he died,it was a must buy every week.
I wonder what he would make of todays timings that make speed ratings irrelevant when every day the courses move the rails and then publish the guess of how many yards they have added to the race. speed ratings used to be the starting point but no longer relevant in the majority of races imo
By:
The Pies
When: 15 Aug 20 08:43
My real interest with racing started with the launch of the Weekender in 1983 (I think) but I quickly graduated to the RHB because I found the results more detailed, expecially liked the analysis. As mentioned I kept all the results pull outs to create my own form book. Going back to the Weekender I did like the reports by Icarus from the meetings he had been to in the week which I recall were all southern based.

Just looking at my bookshelf and I've found 'How to Win At Racing" a 1987 Raceform publication. Inside of that there's a cutting from the Weekender by Icarus from 1985 called 'Paddock Pointers' and a Timeform News with an article by Colin Russell on 'Race Reading for Timeform'.
By:
scrabbler
When: 15 Aug 20 10:04
In the 1960s my Dad used to get the weekly handicap book and also the Racing and Football Outlook. Although he kept the form inserts, he did buy the Form Book Update for some big meetings like Royal Ascot, Goodwood and the St.Leger. As a young lad I was intrigued by all the ads from people selling "sure fire" tips and "inside information". Anyone remember the Dawson System ?
By:
kemo sabe
When: 15 Aug 20 10:15
this post did make me smile and then think how long ago was that ,,    lots of tipsters of course with weekend letters from folks like fineform , it painted a different world for me when i was a teenager , the letters page was always a read and re read for me ,    maybe thats why i like the forum so much ?
By:
clacton
When: 15 Aug 20 10:26
Does anyone remember 'Masons Time Test'  Must be 1950's.
The 2 year old Handicap I always found interesting. They dont do one nowdays.
I dont think the weekly publications now are anywhere as good as the old ones.
By:
kemo sabe
When: 15 Aug 20 10:33
im just trying to remember the names ,,, kevin blake comes to mind ,  there were quite a few with military sounding names like the colonel , the major , never called the corporal or the squaddie    most from if memory serves brighton area or  lewes, their tips came neatly folded with typed addresses ,  i do have fond memories of them but of course we only remember the winners dont we ,
yes i do remember the dawsom system ads but never bought them ,
By:
scrabbler
When: 15 Aug 20 10:47
I'm not sure which publication was involved, but I recall columns under the bylines Master Herbert and Figaro. In the 1960s fixed odds football coupons were a very popular form of gambling. I can remember local collectors of these visiting our house. Another visitor was the local bookie's runner collecting bets and occasionally paying out !  After well over 50 years I can still remember my Dad's nom-de-plume used with the bookie.
By:
kemo sabe
When: 15 Aug 20 11:03
nom de plume ,  now yr going back and board markers who were paid beer money ,  but gave  a few less abled in life a purpose ,,,  big jimmy  for one , walking up the road he was slow and cumersome yet with his mgic marker or originally chalk he as soon as he was on the podium came to life ,   the local church could not hold the people at his funeral ,  lots outside and even more as he was taken to the cemetary ,   they even needed extra bearers , next time at the cathedral i shall light a candle and im sure as he didnt have a bad bone in his body hes resting in peace ,
By:
portmanpark
When: 15 Aug 20 11:04
dawson system??....anyone remeber that....always on the 3rd page every week
By:
portmanpark
When: 15 Aug 20 11:05
remember*
By:
portmanpark
When: 15 Aug 20 11:06
sorry scrabbler...missed your post
By:
kemo sabe
When: 15 Aug 20 11:08
clive holt was the fine form  , guy ,  his well produced book , was it called winners back winners i would read and re read , i always though of him every morning going to the village newsagents very early to get his milk and the sporting life , then studying endlessly ,,  ive no idea of course if he did , but it was for me a nice picture in my mind
By:
portmanpark
When: 15 Aug 20 11:12
i remember sending off for one tipster who advertised a saturday double.....when i recieved the letter it was the name of about a dozen horses...always remember only one won at odds on.......intriqued to see what his advert would be.....he had the odds on winner  and a one of his placed horses as his saturday doulble
By:
portmanpark
When: 15 Aug 20 11:15
borrowed fineform off my mate...it was rubbish....points for how they run last time out and points for C|D.....complete garbage
By:
kemo sabe
When: 15 Aug 20 11:22
of course it was all rubbish just like it is now ,,,  my stuff more than most of course ,  yet it was for me at least a tiny window into another world ,     , i liked the plots the intruige the dodgy characters , the colour ,   its never left me really ,,  but i have to say that the shut down made me far more reflective of what i want from the game ,, for the last ten years im not sure its as much fun but at least the changes i made make me win a few quid ,  but i wdnt say it was as much fun
By:
kemo sabe
When: 15 Aug 20 11:22
of course it was all rubbish just like it is now ,,,  my stuff more than most of course ,  yet it was for me at least a tiny window into another world ,     , i liked the plots the intruige the dodgy characters , the colour ,   its never left me really ,,  but i have to say that the shut down made me far more reflective of what i want from the game ,, for the last ten years im not sure its as much fun but at least the changes i made make me win a few quid ,  but i wdnt say it was as much fun
By:
portmanpark
When: 15 Aug 20 11:34
read the book...he said do the ratings...then ignore them and study form
By:
kemo sabe
When: 15 Aug 20 12:01
or like most on here do none of that pick horses cos they like the name or guess ,
By:
dukeofpuke
When: 15 Aug 20 12:18
I bought the fineform book and actually followed it for the flat season 1990 to £100 win and was over £5000 up and and thought i had discovered the 'grail' but it didnt work for the NH season and the next years flat so moved on to timeform 50 to follow and was backing them at £10 win £5 ew and also some saturday accas and got Sibton Abbey in the Hennessy at ep of 100-1 in 1992 i remember a saturday lucky 31 got the 1st 4 last 1 was backed into fav but 2nd would of been 1000,s but got back about 600

Going back to fineform 1990 i got a steady stream of winners Knight of Mercy 14-1,Eradicate 12-1 and loads of others and if anyone interested i can post the rest up for that season
By:
Davros
When: 15 Aug 20 12:51
I also owned that book and remember thinking the pages too shiny to wipe my bum with.
By:
portmanpark
When: 15 Aug 20 13:12
my mate worked in the same factory he was praying the book would come back before our summer holiday...always the day before the king george....when i got back to work i asked had it arrived....yes he said more"s the pity
By:
portmanpark
When: 15 Aug 20 13:14
funny thing he has given gambling....his wife give him an ultimatum...her or the gambling.he had a real problem gambling though to be fair it was mainly roulette machines
By:
portmanpark
When: 15 Aug 20 13:16
given up * gambling
By:
workrider
When: 15 Aug 20 16:13
I saw there was about 20 replies and thought ,it must be someone offering to sell a copy but low and behold no such luck. I must say I enjoyed reading to replies , The Pies I have that book, the wife bought it for me as a birthday present and it was magical, I can still see me putting my asterick's alongside each horse...
By:
MJK
When: 15 Aug 20 16:34
WR you might find this interesting

http://www.informracing.com/van-der-wheil/
By:
screaming from beneaththewaves
When: 15 Aug 20 16:35
By:
When: 15 Aug 20 16:44
Twenty-nine years ago next week.

Nothing really changes - both the front-page tips came second.

(Sporting Chronicle H'cap Book became the Raceform H'cap Book, then Raceform Update (I think).)
By:
Wannawin.
When: 15 Aug 20 19:42
I have a copy of the Dawson System book.
By:
When: 15 Aug 20 19:51

Tony Peach's letters/systems page from that issue. Again, nothing changes in 29 years - even back then they couldn't make it pay/ the game was gone/ what's he talking about/ this is the worst season ever, and so on.
By:
themightymac
When: 15 Aug 20 19:55
workrider there are many online to view on British Newspaper Archives website for a modest fee.

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results?basicsearch=sporting%20chronicle%20handicap%20book&retrievecountrycounts=false
By:
When: 15 Aug 20 20:00
Anyone know what became of TBA of Hove, who sponsored the Prize letters?

I never used them, but apparently they operated systems for punters - favs ridden by Pat Eddery when there wasn't an R in the month, that sort of thing. Must have been a licence to print money.
By:
onlooker
When: 15 Aug 20 20:08
screaming.

From memory - the TBA - was 'Track Betting Agency' ...

- and not, of course, the far more reputable  - Thoroughbred Breeders Association.  Happy

The fact that they were based in Hove - rather told you all that you needed to know.
By:
Oldgit1
When: 15 Aug 20 20:42
I first bought it at the bookstall in Kings Cross station the night before Never Say Die's Derby win in 1954. It was an eye opener for me and changed my way of betting. Reflections on Running highlighted many future winners and the one on market movers also pointed to future winners. The systems page was also good with ongoing discussions that I often took part in were often ongoing after months and some conning scum like Race Expert tried to trade on the Four Day System. I stopped buying it when so much became available in the racing Post.
Never say Die was an expression my landlady was always using and she asked me to put a pound EW on it for her.
I used to correspond with racing Journalist Roger Standing who often wrote for it. His last E-Mail to me before he died suddenly in 2002 referred to a horse called Invitation his sister owned that said "right at the bottom of the handicap, with a 5lb claimer!"
The claimer was a lad called Ryan Moore. It did not win. By that time Roger was retired and lived in Switzerland and owned a company in England called Endless Fine Art.
By:
Oldgit1
When: 15 Aug 20 20:48
" http://www.informracing.com/van-der-wheil/ "
The vab der Wheil system was written in a way that could be interpreted in many ways. I never really felt it deserved the attention it got,
By:
workrider
When: 15 Aug 20 22:38
Thanks MJK I already know about that site, its really to just get my hands on the paper and read it ,like old times if you know what i mean, reading the Irish Field atm , its now 3e 90c I first bought it when it was 1/3d still magical...
By:
onlooker
When: 15 Aug 20 23:21
I see the Irish Field is 150 years old this year.

It is, and always has been, an excellent, if not exceptional, publication.

I have always kept the copies that I bought whenever I have been to Ireland
------------------

workrider  -

I have, in my fairly immense collection, a few years/seasons of the Sporting Chronicle Handicap Book 'Pull-Out' weekly Results Sections all  Sellotaped together - Pritt had not been invented then - into an Annual Form Book... that I actually used for around 3 consecutive  years, until I could afford to subscribe to the, far more manageable, Weekly Loose-Leaf Form Book.

Sadly, for you, I did not retain the copies of the weekly paper itself - apart from perhaps/probably a few copies that will be buried somewhere deep in the Loft....

-  along with several hundred, if not more, copies of The Sporting Life from the mid/late 1980s.
By:
Facts
When: 16 Aug 20 03:18
For years I used to subscribe weekly to the Raceform Note Book.
Flat season was red plastic folder with laces to thread through the latest result pages with comments. White paper , which was replaced with the permanent pink pages which came the following week.
National Hunt, was a green folder with buff yellow pages.
Brilliant publications.
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com