Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
onlooker
31 Jul 20 12:46
| Topic/replies: 38,045 | Blogger: onlooker's blog
Spectators 'no longer allowed to attend UK pilot sports events'

Dan Roan

BBC Sports editor

The prime minister is set to announce that fans will no longer be permitted to attend the sporting pilot events allowing limited numbers of spectators at Goodwood, the Crucible and the Oval in coming days.

It comes after evidence that the infection rate has risen across the country.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 195
By:
kemo sabe
When: 31 Jul 20 12:52
dooomed we are all doomed
By:
elisjohn
When: 31 Jul 20 12:55
weve got a complete nutter of a pm, and i voted for himCry
By:
driver2
What a useless, dithering, prime minister we've got. Thank god he wasn't around in 1940, we'd have all been Germans!
By:
differentdrum
Good.

Things have sounded pretty ominous for the last week or so.

Personally, I don't think we locked down quick enough and then we opened up (much) too soon. We should have made sure we were as near enough completely on top of things as possible before heading in that direction. Someone like Boris who is so obviously all for personal freedoms was the last person we needed leading the campaign. There was never enough belief that the British public would do the 'right thing' for long enough. It shouldn't be a desperate hardship to give things like a holiday once a while.
By:
kemo sabe
When: 31 Jul 20 12:59
dont mention the war
By:
layingisthewayforward
When: 31 Jul 20 12:59
FFS I was going to Edgbaston on Sunday to watch some cricket in the sunshine Cry
By:
howard
When: 31 Jul 20 13:01
how many are dying ?
By:
Kriskin
When: 31 Jul 20 13:03

Jul 31, 2020 -- 12:55PM, elisjohn wrote:

weve got a complete nutter of a pm, and i voted for him

Why are u blaming the PM for?  Too many people are NOT following the guidelines throughout the country.  Do u want him to police everyone.

By:
howard
When: 31 Jul 20 13:04
Millions of deaths in Sweden ?
By:
driver2
When: 31 Jul 20 13:08
Yes Kriskin, people can't be left to their own devices, there are too many idiots in the world
By:
layingisthewayforward
When: 31 Jul 20 13:09
Howard, there hasn't been a million deaths across the globe, what are you waffling about?
By:
truehoncho
When: 31 Jul 20 13:10
We have to bear in mind where we are now compared to where people said we would be in May. Many people thought racing wouldn't start again until August and pubs would  be shut until after xmas. This is just a couple of weeks political manoeuvring, we will be far further forward in a months time. These trials will be delayed for 2 or 3 weeks at the most.
By:
flatcap
When: 31 Jul 20 13:11
5000 deaths in Sweden at last count i believe
By:
Alices
When: 31 Jul 20 13:20
Onlooker. Spot on.
By:
The Knight
When: 31 Jul 20 13:23
onlooker. You are totally correct. It really is madness in the UK.

Nobody willing to point the finger more at exactly where the new infections are coming from and why in case they are ripped to pieces in the media.

The tail is so wagging the dog in this country.

A bit of me actually hopes that the increased rates of infection largely in tightly populated BAME areas finally opens up a debate about how ethnic minorities need to be more respectful of the culture of the country they are in. And that applies across the board and even to those born here, in some cases at least.

On the other hand, though, it is a little difficult to imagine how we are going to re-introduce any crowds to sports events until we have a vaccine now. If every time we ease off restrictions there is an uptick in cases that means the brakes need to go on, we will never get to the point where crowds can return. Well, not until a vaccine is widely available.

I keep saying it but to include racecourse in the COVID legislation for sports stadia was a dreadful mistake. They should have been classified as racecourses so that the minimum number of people who often attend midweek could at be accomodated back, and even used as testing events for bigger numbers.

We should be going from the bottom up, not the top down and treating different events separately. 350 midweek at a small country track is very different from 75k at Old Trafford for a Premier Lge game.
By:
howard
When: 31 Jul 20 13:26
Many less deaths in Sweden than UK  with no lockdown. I know the difference in population. But there are more unfit/obese in UK.
By:
differentdrum
When: 31 Jul 20 13:26
According to Hislop it's 'devastating news'. Sorry but thousands of people dying is actually devastating news.

Most people watching at home wouldn't care tuppence if there is a crowd or not. The sport doesn't need a crowd to produce a product. It is not like human team sports like football.
By:
truehoncho
When: 31 Jul 20 13:27
We should be going from the bottom up, not the top down and treating different events separately. 350 midweek at a small country track is very different from 75k at Old Trafford for a Premier Lge game. ---  I think that is an excellent point. Start small and 5000 should have been 500.
By:
the old nanny ;-)
When: 31 Jul 20 13:30
50000 Dead 5 million facing financial disaster , keep locking down
By:
baracoudafan
When: 31 Jul 20 13:33
Any racists should get In the bin:

In Trafford, a mostly-affluent part of Greater Manchester, health officials said younger middle-class residents were behind the recent rise in cases – not the south Asian community.

Eleanor Roaf, Trafford council’s director of public health, said about 57% of the new cases were people aged 25 or below and included those in its wealthiest suburbs, Altrincham and Hale, where footballers and actors live.

“It’s spread across Trafford. It’s not concentrated at all in our more deprived areas,” she told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme.

“My real concern is perhaps the messaging. Definitely the harms from Covid are concentrated in the more deprived areas but in fact anyone can get it and we really need to make sure that people living in wealthier areas aren’t complacent because that’s the biggest risk.

“Altrincham, Hale, have been some of our hotspots in Trafford, so the messaging I’m wanting to get out is [that] absolutely anyone can get it.”
By:
truehoncho
Many less deaths in Sweden than UK  with no lockdown. I know the difference in population. But there are more unfit/obese in UK. The death rate is actually less in Sweden. There is no arguing with that its just  a fact. I for one have never beleived the lock down was effective. We should have put our resources into protecting the vulnerable. The upteen billions we gave away in furlough would have been better spent on the vulnerable and we would still have a 1/2 decent economy.
By:
know all
it looks like some religions are flouting corona we are not allowed to say which ones but its affecting us all i can see a backlash coming unless they get in line
By:
StewB
When: 31 Jul 20 13:34
Still far too early to bring back crowds. The right decision
By:
truehoncho
When: 31 Jul 20 13:37
Still far too early to bring back crowds. The right decision I don't agree. The infection rate is a red herring. Providing the vulnerable are protected the virus is not an issue for the vast majority. In fact the quicker we get it the quicker we have anti bodies to it.
By:
EastLower Gooner
When: 31 Jul 20 13:39
This isn’t going away innit...

I mean until everyone receives a cure then it’s just going to keep rearing it’s ugly head.
By:
wondersobright
When: 31 Jul 20 13:40
there is no pandemic, no excess mortality in the UK for weeks

check public health england for the facts if you aren't aware of them

and yet government is still fkin interfering with our everyday lives
when are people gunna wise up to this & make a stand
By:
artful dodger
When: 31 Jul 20 13:41
1st June all sports back on behind closed doors. That's ALL sports, one size fits all but one size doesn't fit all. A race meeting with 10,000 in attendance is vastly different to Anfield and Old Trafford with 60,000 frenzied fans baying for blood. Did we have a spike the other day from 1000 people attending the county cricket match? The ministers in charge haven't a clue about reality...the spikes we have that have resulted in yet another clanger by the government are in Leicester.......Bradford......Oldham......Blackburn.....Kirklees.....you don't have to be Einstein to work out the common denominator, instead of another unnecessary lockdown why not just quarantine the infected culprits and let the rest of us get back to normal.....a lot of sane and sensible postings on here today...
By:
wondersobright
When: 31 Jul 20 13:43

Jul 31, 2020 -- 1:37PM, truehoncho wrote:

Still far too early to bring back crowds. The right decision I don't agree. The infection rate is a red herring. Providing the vulnerable are protected the virus is not an issue for the vast majority. In fact the quicker we get it the quicker we have anti bodies to it.

infection rate on the rise is a red herring, absolutely
more testing = more cases

if you test lots of people, then you'll get a lot of positive tests for presence of a coronavirus
same would have happened in 2019, and 2018, and 2017, and 2016 etc etc

the only numbers that matters are the deaths & the excess mortality figures
and we know they are fine

so get on with your everyday lives & make a stand about government ffs

By:
StewB
When: 31 Jul 20 13:44
No Pandemic ? Then why are so many people dying of it, what else are they dying from ?
And the people that have thevirus ?
I have heard a few people say this, The same people that said 9/11 never happened
Maybe England didn't win the World Cup in 1966 too ? Plain
By:
dustybin
When: 31 Jul 20 13:45
Keep sporting events locked down ta
Good work de Pfeffel ya bumbling tit
By:
wondersobright
When: 31 Jul 20 13:45
StewB • July 31, 2020 1:44 PM BST
No Pandemic ? Then why are so many people dying of it, what else are they dying from

they're not though
there hasn't been excess mortality in the summer
no excess mortality = no pandemic
understand?
By:
kansas
When: 31 Jul 20 13:46
The infection rate spike that has caused these measures is an increase in cases from 1:4000 in some parts of the North to 1:3500.

Absolute ****show
By:
pumphol.
When: 31 Jul 20 13:46
StewB 31 Jul 20 13:44 
Maybe England didn't win the World Cup in 1966 too ?

They didn't, West Ham did Silly
By:
wondersobright
When: 31 Jul 20 13:47

Jul 31, 2020 -- 1:46PM, kansas wrote:

The infection rate spike that has caused these measures is an increase in cases from 1:4000 in some parts of the North to 1:3500.Absolute ****show

agree

By:
StewB
When: 31 Jul 20 13:51
pumphol.

I was expecting someone to say that Laugh
By:
truehoncho
When: 31 Jul 20 13:55
I don't understand why people just don't look at the annual flu surveillance data from PHE. If you compare the flu season with this coronovirus outbreak the data is almost identical. The only difference is that this outbreak has lasted slightly longer (compare the graph) as we flattened the curve through lockdown. Sweden's data gives an identical profile as the flu season because they didn't lock down. I think we have totally over reacted and the deaths that will result from this will never be highlighted. As far as any excess deaths through March, April and May I think that 10's of millions of people being isolated from their families and many services (including health) may well have something to do with that.
By:
StewB
When: 31 Jul 20 13:56
People "In tears" that work behind the scenes are the postponement of tomorrows crowds !!
INCREDIBLE !! ppl are dying yet some ppl are upset in tears cos crowds are banned !!!  CryCry
By:
roggrain
When: 31 Jul 20 14:07
So what happens if the Virus is eradicated, when next winter the flu comes back to kill 20 to 30,000 people?

Will a lockdown be imposed? If not ,why not? This Government hasn't a clue about anything outside of it's own little

Ivory tower world. They are totally incompetent and were warned every winter year after year about the potential

consequences of a pandemic by experts in the NHS and did nothing whatsoever to prepare. They are a disgrace!
By:
hello :-)
When: 31 Jul 20 14:09
well done boris and the rest of the gov

UK neither healthy regarding economy or virus as we approach winter
Page 1 of 5  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML