Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
ashleigh
26 Jul 20 11:52
| Topic/replies: 18,730 | Blogger: ashleigh's blog
and card payment only. bookmakers split between each enclosure.
who would want the gig.Sad

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 91
By:
adge
When: 26 Jul 20 13:12
1 rails , 2 tatts and 1 silver
none allowed in front of the stand...except the silver by the small 3 furlong car park
By:
mrcombustible
When: 26 Jul 20 13:28
Pathetic
By:
democrat
When: 26 Jul 20 13:30
Does anybody know if the bookmakers are being paid to attend ? If not their attendance is most laudable given the limitations that apply. Card only ? That could be interesting if individuals turn up intending to bet with cash only - the bookmakers will be in for some fun explaining the straitjacket conditions in which they have been instructed to work. Presumably all retail outlets at Goodwood will exclusively be accepting debit cards. If this is the first step towards the resumption of racing in terms of 'normal unrestricted' crowd and bookmaker numbers then indeed it is a very small one. Here's hoping the second step is more meritorious.
By:
dave d
When: 26 Jul 20 13:36
alan ..will the positions in tatts be offered down the line ,,ie starting with pick one being asked first etc etc
By:
the.mad.dog.man
When: 26 Jul 20 13:36
how do they pay the wining punters
By:
stewarty b
When: 26 Jul 20 13:39
Paying by card is just not feasible.
By:
ashleigh
When: 26 Jul 20 13:40
is it right adge, bookmakers on course can take 8 cash bets in the time it takes to process 1 card bet.
card bets the norm, will not be welcome by bookies.
By:
wondersobright
When: 26 Jul 20 13:41
card only yet by law they are required to provide a paper receipt if requested, and of course the punter needs their docket

completely farcical situation
By:
adge
When: 26 Jul 20 14:03
dave d ...yes , list seniority has been used with number 1 being given first refusable
rails...one [ unconfirmed ] but number 2 would attend.
tatts...number 1 yes..2,3 and 4 refused re no cash but 5 believed a yes
silver..number 1 refused but 2 a yes

mad dog....any winning bet must be paid back to the card
ashleigh..that's about right but the pay back takes a good deal longer
By:
dave d
When: 26 Jul 20 14:13
cheers alan as a northern ring worker looking in i know its a start but highly debatable what good can be gleaned ...firmi work for already uses card facility and at best its a service not the future by any means ....lets see what happens anyways ..good luck and thnks x
By:
penzance
When: 26 Jul 20 14:22
win or lose the fun of racing IS betting
in cash and being paid out in cash.
By:
TheAnorak
When: 26 Jul 20 14:30
Not to mention the fact that anybody placing bets with two or three different books during a meeting, is highly likely to find the bank's automatic fraud software putting a stop on their card.
By:
Ramruma
When: 26 Jul 20 14:32
Card limit on contactless is £45. Above that needs keypad, and having dozens of punters use the same keypad is more dangerous than handling cash I'd have thought.
By:
democrat
When: 26 Jul 20 14:44
A very fair point Penzance although those that want to bet electronically also need to be catered for. The imponderable is why the bookmakers are being limited to one method of payment. The thought of being totally dependent, with no contingency ie cash bets, on a debit card reader- not always the most reliable of devices - is unthinkable. I am very hopeful that nothing untoward occurs and the day proves most successful but the pitfalls should not be ignored.
By:
ekbalko
When: 26 Jul 20 15:19
Just as easy to do it on your phone.
By:
fredlyn
When: 26 Jul 20 15:36
not much better on here - taking 45 mins to settle wins
By:
1st time poster
When: 26 Jul 20 15:36
as theyve spent every second in every day for 10 years saying its impossible to make the game pay ,now moaning that more of them arnt allowed to give their money away to the public, Laugh,
By:
adge
When: 26 Jul 20 16:04
much closer to 20 years but the gripe this time is no cash betting allowed
By:
democrat
When: 26 Jul 20 16:07
When you do your Sainsburys shop tomorrow adge tell them they are out of order taking cash !!! LaughLaugh
By:
ronnie rails
When: 26 Jul 20 16:08
good luck to the on course books regarding cashless, since the shops have reopened the biggest nightmare without any doubt is a punter not getting a bet on as the length of time it takes a  que of card punters  to get the bets prosed and get ready for card declined as the punter says I think I have pressed the wrong button.
have a good day
regards
Ronnie.
By:
REGIT
When: 26 Jul 20 18:32
Would have thought they could have paid out in cash.Could have got the books to keep cash seperate for a week before betting.Pretty sure virus only lasts 72 hours.Would speed it up a lot.If it remains no cash there’s no point in going.
By:
REGIT
When: 26 Jul 20 18:32
Would have thought they could have paid out in cash.Could have got the books to keep cash seperate for a week before betting.Pretty sure virus only lasts 72 hours.Would speed it up a lot.If it remains no cash there’s no point in going.
By:
TheNorfolkMafia
When: 26 Jul 20 18:51
Cashless betting!

The final nail in the on-course bookmakers coffin!

Totally unworkable!
By:
impossible123
When: 26 Jul 20 19:20
Can contact-less be used for bets £30 and below? Anymore a prepayment token bought well before the race perhaps. Otherwise a nightmare if a card is refused or customer keyed in wrong pin.
By:
1st time poster
When: 26 Jul 20 19:58
zero evidence of anyone anywhere in the world catching virus through transmission of virus through a hard surface,almost been entirely discounted by scientists as a form of transmission,
if it were possible like saLISBURY you,d think there,d be 1000,s of scientists worldwide in supermarkets,park benches etc collectinmg tonnes of the virus, not a grain of the virus been found worldwide left on a hard surface
By:
icantbelieveyousaidthat
When: 26 Jul 20 20:26
Not to mention the potential impact on an individual having multiple betting transactions on his bank statement.
By:
democrat
When: 26 Jul 20 20:34
I am prepared o be corrected but I think there is not one positive comment on this thread regarding the modus operandi proposed for Goodwood. The precipice of August 1st is not far away but never mind  it is only a trial and lessons will be learnt. Whoops
By:
Fashion Fever
When: 26 Jul 20 21:34
hi Chris

are they having Yarmouth derby this year ?

are you allowed to stand again in October ?

cheers
By:
adge
When: 26 Jul 20 23:04
the goodwood four are having further thoughts on what they are signing up for

out of interest does anyone know of anybody who has caught covid 19 from a banknote ?
By:
icantbelieveyousaidthat
When: 26 Jul 20 23:10
Hello Mark

A Derby, sponsored by RPGTV, is planned but with only three rounds rather than the usual four. When it was announced, the date of the final was fluid to allow for the return of the public to race tracks. If the three day Eastern Festival takes place, the final would be on the Thursday evening but it would seem the final will now be on Wednesday 16th September.

It is highly probable the whole event will be behind closed doors but all rounds, including the final, will be on RPGTV.

As for our return, I don’t know and I certainly don’t know what operating conditions will be placed upon us when we do return. It would seem the local authority has already approved a crowd of up to 1000 for stock car racing but the Government will have to lift the restrictions on sports stadia before the public are allowed into the track for greyhound race meetings.
By:
artful dodger
When: 27 Jul 20 07:48
As usual with the farcical scaremongering, closely following on from totally unnecessary wearing of masks in shops then.......wait for it......the government are "tackling obesity", we now have the only outlet in the entire country aiming for cashless! Fish shops have notices up "cash only", supermarkets are taking cash as well as cards and ALL other retail outlets give you the choice. Well done Goodwood! WALOFB!!!!
By:
REGIT
When: 27 Jul 20 09:00
I’m retired now but in my opinion the books have to stand together and say no thanks.If they go down the cashless route they are finished.
1.It’s physically impossible to take enough bets and payout in any pitch including the best pitches.
2.It’s bound to lead to an increase in expenses.
3.I cannot see banks standing for 2000 transactions a day ( if it ever reaches that speed)
4.Once punters get used to no cash they will soon get used to using their own phones.( talking about recreational punters not people who are on here.)

They have to stand firm and believe they are an important part of a “ day at the races”
Unfortunately i know from past experience this wont happen , it will be every man for himself.I know pitches are still changing hands for large amounts but a friend of mine said he would sell his pitches ( good pitches ) for 75% of what he paid.
By:
screaming from beneaththewaves
When: 27 Jul 20 09:36
Copper and silver and gold actually kill bacteria and disable viruses. Our ancestors knew what they were doing when they made sure all transactions involved gold, silver or copper coins.
By:
ribero1
When: 27 Jul 20 09:53
This will be the work of the usual jobsworths no doubt,agree Regit i've said all along no cash no business,i go racing when not working and bet in cash and wouldn't go near the ring without cash,normally i would agree re nobody going but think its too dangerous a way to go and the bookmakers who do go will no doubt be interviewed and should say we have turned up as a goodwill gesture (business will be useless) but let them know in no uncertain terms its totally unworkable without cash.
By:
1st time poster
When: 27 Jul 20 10:24
take away corporate,the only reason to go racing is to bet in cash with a bookmaker,think everyone agrees winning online isnt the same buzz as money changing hands, imo
By:
REGIT
When: 27 Jul 20 10:28
The level of business will be interesting.
5,000 people and 4 books.
Possible there will be huge queue’s and people not able to get on.If cash was allowed i would expect there might be enough business for 20- 30  books.4 is just crazy.Social distancing will go out of the window and if it rains?
Personally I would have spread the books around ( I dont know Goodwood so it might not be possible) and allowed cash and at the very least paid out in cash.If and it’s a big IF the system works as well as in shops you could possibly do 30-50 transactions but that doesnt include payouts and errors.Your probably right about having to go Ribero but as a business proposition “NOT A CHANCE”
If they persevere with this people who like to use oncourse books WILL HAVE NO OPTION to make alternative plans to bet.
By:
sparrow
When: 27 Jul 20 10:51
Chris Cook in the Guardian
@claimsfive
Mon 27 Jul 2020 00.03 BSTLast modified on Mon 27 Jul 2020 09.42

Bookmakers are to make a last-ditch appeal to the government to relax restrictions around their return to the racecourse at Goodwood this week. Just four bookmakers are to be allowed to bet at the Sussex track on Saturday, when around 5,000 racegoers will be allowed entry, and have been told they must take bets only via cards, not cash, which one bookmaker described as “a disaster waiting to happen”.

“The last thing we want are problems with the trial,” said Robin Grossmith of the Federation Of Racecourse Bookmakers, whose members are desperate for a large-scale return of crowds and betting at the races after four months with no trade. “The DCMS probably doesn’t appreciate the difficulties we may have. This is something we are going to be talking to them about on Monday, as a matter of urgency.

“The problem is that Parliament’s in recess,” Grossmith added. “Who we can get hold of to make a decision, I really don’t know until we try. Our political advisors will do it for us and we’ll see where we get but the clock’s ticking down pretty quickly.

“We think if cash can be taken, it will be a success. We’re just concerned that there could be all sorts of technical problems that are beyond our control.”

While some racecourse bookmakers have offered card betting facilities, it has not been a popular option. Connectivity has been a problem, as has the time taken to process a bet, estimated as being eight times slower than cash. “I’ve timed it and it’s about 30 seconds per bet coming in,” said the bookmaker Simon James.

“If you were to work flat out for half an hour, the gap between races, you could take 60 bets. That isn’t allowing for any payouts. If the first favourite wins and you have a queue of 30 people trying to get paid, you could spend the whole of the next race’s betting time paying people out. This cannot be allowed to happen. It is a disaster waiting to happen.”

James pointed out another problem, that each transaction ties up so much of the bookmaker’s funds until being cleared days later. “When I work with cash, my float would only go down by the amount I’ve lost on a race. Taking card payments only, my float’s going to go down by my turnover. The amount of money we would have to have in preparation for any race-meeting is going to be beyond the realms of most bookmakers to manage. Only an elite few would be able to do it, especially for four or five days on the trot.”

Grossmith added: “Every betting shop in the High Street takes cash, every supermarket takes cash, I don’t know of a business that doesn’t. We’re working out in the open air that the Sage experts say is the safest place to be, yet cash is to be banned and we don’t understand the rationale.”

While the Racecourse Association declined to comment, it pointed to the government’s guidance on the return of elite sport, which insists on retail concessions operating without cash. It is believed that racing officials have queried with the DCMS whether bookmakers should fall into this category and were told that they must.

The Guardian understands that none of the four bookmakers allowed at Goodwood will be in the spots normally associated with betting, along the rails between the two main enclosures or in the Tattersalls ring. In order to avoid queues that would undermine social distancing, they will be sited in quieter spots, two of them behind the grandstand. Tote betting will also be available.
By:
TheNorfolkMafia
When: 27 Jul 20 12:26
Bookmaker John McEnroe, said, "You can't be serious man, you cannot be serious!"
By:
ribero1
When: 27 Jul 20 12:44
Spot on 1tp,Regit,the bookmakers are going to be in the quietest areas,not much more than a hundred punters.
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com