Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
blackbarn
31 May 20 18:29
| Topic/replies: 12,250 | Blogger: blackbarn's blog
https://www.racingpost.com/news/members/racings-back/time-to-hail-the-return-of-racing-our-sport-of-mountain-moving-magnificence/435413

He is becoming a caricature of himself but he can still trot out a phrase or two.
Pause Switch to Standard View Alistair Down attempts to tug the...
Show More
Report Brave dancer May 31, 2020 10:21 PM BST
I liked the article. I'm happy that racing is returning. Alistair Down always writes like this. Are you new to the sport?
Report blackbarn May 31, 2020 10:43 PM BST
Brave Dancer. I too am happy racing is returning. I also like Alistair Down AND I do know that he writes like this.  I stick by my post though; "still trot out a phrase or too" is a actually a compliment!.  No, I am not new to the sport, 1960 (aged 8) Brighton or Lewes would have been my first experience. You?.
Report acey deucy May 31, 2020 10:50 PM BST
Is he still off the booz?
Report lead on May 31, 2020 10:57 PM BST
In years to come racing people will be talking of him in the same way we talk of Dylan Thomas
Report blackbarn May 31, 2020 11:06 PM BST
lead on - do you mean his ability to paint an emotionally powerful picture just with words or that "his liver showed no signs of Cirrhosis".
Report lead on May 31, 2020 11:17 PM BST
Well,both....I think that his powers are probably connected....it's when you haven't read him for a little time you realise just how good he is
Report kevo May 31, 2020 11:27 PM BST
It's a bitter sweet symphony you make some money then you die.
Report kevo May 31, 2020 11:27 PM BST
Report kevo May 31, 2020 11:28 PM BST
Report kevo May 31, 2020 11:28 PM BST
Report GEORGE.B May 31, 2020 11:46 PM BST
Perhaps one day someone will write a play about him, like they did with Jeffery Bernard, though I've no idea what they may call it, nor who will star in it.
Report sofiakenny June 1, 2020 8:04 AM BST
Why he was allowed to broadcast on our telly's when totally blotto is a disgrace..any of us turn up for work sh*tfaced we are sent home or fired.
Report Manoleeds June 1, 2020 8:29 AM BST
Is it just me because the link just takes me to the RP home page. Do you have to be a paid up subscriber or something?
Report differentdrum June 1, 2020 9:37 AM BST
I can't access it but if it suggests racing starting again has any significance beyond the bubble then it is over the top.

Any of the usual military metaphors?
Report stewarts rise June 1, 2020 9:59 AM BST
lead on31 May 20 21:57Joined: 21 Dec 07 | Topic/replies: 3,863 | Blogger: lead on's blog
In years to come racing people will be talking of him in the same way we talk of Dylan Thomas

Don't talk daft lead on, has Alistair Down ever won a single G1 race let alone an Arc! Might have sired a few though.
Report sparrow June 1, 2020 10:11 AM BST
Should have been disqualified in the Arc, stewarts.
Report loper June 1, 2020 10:23 AM BST
AD was one of the instigators of over romanticised racing journalism. It is now inevitable that one of his successors will 'paint a picture in words' on page 3 of the RP on the morning of a major meeting.

In order to achieve this they take down off the shelf the 'Alistair Down Almanac of Racing Cliches and Puke Inducing Platitudes', available slightly soiled on Ebay for downwards of 1p.
Report lead on June 1, 2020 12:30 PM BST
stewarts riseHappy...surprising he kept that arc...maybe the french stewards didn't like the runner-up's trainer
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com