Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
bigbillbovington
20 Apr 20 07:32
| Topic/replies: 171 | Blogger: bigbillbovington's blog
Ferrari and Nolan , grilling ministers why it went ahead, they were wriggling on the hook.
Pause Switch to Standard View cheltenham , becoming toxic by the...
Show More
Report Hibore April 20, 2020 8:48 AM BST
Hopefully it will be quieter next year. Took me 10 mins to queue for hog roast.
Report flushgordon1 April 20, 2020 9:01 AM BST
If horses can't get it,what's the problem?
Report flushgordon1 April 20, 2020 9:02 AM BST
Perhaps lasix  Is the cure.
Report stridingedge April 20, 2020 9:06 AM BST
Shirley they listened to the science and of course the hand washing made it all safe. Cool
Report stridingedge April 20, 2020 9:07 AM BST
You couldn't get a test in the community by that stage as it had become clear that the disease had spread too much to make it feasible (obviously coupled by govt knowledge that we couldn't test fook all in terms of numbers anyhow).

but mass gatherings and pubs/restaurants etc no problem to carry on, just wash yer hands though folk that's the science. Cool
Report 1st time poster April 20, 2020 9:13 AM BST
bha,government, etc apart, you knew chelt was taking place in some form ,when I think about 7/10 days before on ruk hendo told the world that doesn't matter how but that 5 million prize money has to stay in the game,from then on it was taking place
Report scrabbler April 20, 2020 11:58 AM BST
How many who attended the festival have contracted Covid ? Surely it shouldn't be difficult to have some figures to support the assumption that substantiate any claim that the event represented an increased risk to those who attended ?
Report Fashion Fever April 20, 2020 12:06 PM BST
the ones who stayed in local towns all week 30 mile radius would took it back with them and spread it there

lots of elderly in towns like stow on the wold, cirencester etc
Report 1st time poster April 20, 2020 12:15 PM BST
it was at its peak R wise, 1 man from a ski resort caused havoc spreading it in the uk, didn't need many who had symptons or didn't have symptons to spread it to thousands
Report Ramruma April 20, 2020 12:20 PM BST
Saturday 7 March: 10 Premier League matches; Boris at the England vs Wales rugby
Sunday 8 March: Two Premier League matches
Monday 9 March: One Premier League match
Tuesday 10 March: Cheltenham starts
Report GAZO April 20, 2020 12:33 PM BST
everything in hindsight is easy,those events were around the time of should we/shouldnt we play behind closed doors or cancel,spain although they might have been playing sport behind closed doors they were not in lockdown until the last day of cheltenham and i am sure fans travelled to anfield for the champion league game
Report hello :-) April 20, 2020 12:45 PM BST
unfortunately for Cheltenham its portrayed in media as the largest gathering that week by a long way

and whether you agree or not is immaterial the decision to go ahead will only look darker as time passes
Report Movewiththetimes April 20, 2020 1:05 PM BST
And if lockdown was a week before be another sporting Event etc.... they had to be a cut off point it just happened to fall Cheltenham festival week, I don't believe it was any worse than supermarkets tube mosques in fact I would be all 3 in front of of the festival.
Report Movewiththetimes April 20, 2020 1:05 PM BST
*Put all 3
Report impossible123 April 20, 2020 1:29 PM BST
It should never have gone ahead without any restriction eg behind closed doors, connections only, certain sections of hospitality closed, etc, given just 5 days later all horse racing was stopped; Arteta reported to have symptoms of Covid-19 during the middle of that week.

To repeatedly say guidance was sought from government department/officials prior is trying to shift the emphasis or shirking responsibility entirely onto the government/officials despite the BHA are the body responsible for the running of the industry.

It's not why Cheltenham was allowed to go ahead, but why Cheltenham went ahead without any precaution except sanitisers placed at strategic positions of the venue despite Covid-19 was gripping parts of EU with utmost intensity eg some parts of Europe were in lockdown yet a mass gathering of people were allowed at Cheltenham the same week without any form of restriction, precaution or advice given to racegoers.

I'd not like the people at the BHA running any organisation where the health and well-being of humans are involved or top priority.
Report 1st time poster April 20, 2020 1:36 PM BST
the government didn't stop EPL football ,the EPL stopped it
cricket stopped itself
Report GAZO April 20, 2020 1:40 PM BST
when did football stop,when did the airlines stop,all around cheltenham week
Report hulk23 April 20, 2020 1:51 PM BST
the EPL, the cricket, the BHA taking decisions on a rapidly spreading pandemic ?  it's not 'shirking responsibility' passing it on to government officials / health experts.  that's what they get paid the big bucks for, to decide whether it's safe to go ahead with things in the face of the health dangers presented.  they said it was fine.  if anyone should be answering questions it is them.  heathrow also asked for guidance re testing the millions of travellers arriving from all over the planet, they said hand them a leaflet.  may wish to also ask about this.
Report impossible123 April 20, 2020 2:14 PM BST
If airlines had stopped flying passengers into the UK when there was a lockdown in Wuhan the UK will not be experiencing the present high number of Covid-19 cases and death rates. Similarly, had the government been more proactive rather than reactive eg if they'd gathered and used the info gained from other EU countries accordingly (and with a more competent Health Secretary) I do think Covid-19 cases and death rates will be lower too.

As for football we know why they took place as compared to F1 ie F1 in Australia (15th Mar) was scheduled to go ahead at the weekend until the drivers put their foot down 3 days prior when the death rates caused by Covid-19 was the main news in every country. And, none has taken place. Even the Canadian GP (June 12/14) has been postponed too.

What other commercial entities did is immaterial as they all have their own objective/agenda. As for F1 their drivers put the foot down. And, I believe the BHA ought to have been more responsibility geared rather than commercial eg Cheltenham behind closed doors/connections only/reduced programme/etc.

Horse racing is only a sport (not so much a necessity). We've had Cheltenham cancelled before.
Report The Sawyer April 20, 2020 2:16 PM BST
hulk

that leaflet was to wipe their arris with as the govt had spotted the imminent danger of the shortage of bog roll
Report GAZO April 20, 2020 2:21 PM BST
football acted after arteta had a positive test and pretty sure the same thing happened in f1 when there were positive tests in one of the teams,until then they were going ahead
Report 1st time poster April 20, 2020 2:33 PM BST
yes and 3,4 players were going down in squads,but thyeyn didn't hide behind government,scientists,just used common sense, racing new they could just squeeze it in before it was stopped so took a punt
Report impossible123 April 20, 2020 2:36 PM BST
Australia have a mild Covid-19 compare to the UK, EU and USA similarly, New Zealand despite their proximity to China and SEA countries - They must have been doing something correct unlike the UK, EU and USA.

Prior to the weekend of F1 race the Covid-19 curve was in Australia was in its ascendancy, but still relatively low in comparison. But, after a couple of staff at McLaren tested positive the drivers put their foot down (and rightly so) - F1 is only a sport!

I believe the UK, EU and USA put economic and commercial values before lives hence their present predicament.
Report GAZO April 20, 2020 2:36 PM BST
if they those positive results had not happened both sports would have took a punt
Report impossible123 April 20, 2020 2:42 PM BST
Yep, because the F1 staff with symptoms were tested immediately. Imagine the same had taken place at arrivals in Heathrow, gates at football matches and racegoers prior to Cheltenham. I'm almost 100% certain some would have tested positive. If so, game over...the sport sport suspended.
Report casemoney April 20, 2020 4:11 PM BST
Should they not be ASKING KHAN why the Tube was left running with millions on it ..

BEING LONDON BROADCASTING ,you would imagine that may have crossed their Minds ???

Or would it have Upset the diverse and vibrant community had it Been restricted ?

Thousand of deaths caused by the late shutdown , should be a public inquiry

Also Mobs still being let on Buses ,Bus drivers have lost their Lives because of that

Perhaps KHAN AND TFL can explain their reasoning ..
Report casemoney April 20, 2020 4:13 PM BST
And now the W@nker is kicking off about getting people to wear Masks
Report hulk23 April 20, 2020 4:23 PM BST
again, that would surely have been done on the advice of 'experts'.  now i'm no expert, but when an 'expert' says its ok to keep running the buses, and then bus drivers start dying, i'd be tempted to go back to the 'experts' and ask if they know what they're talking about ... we've had cases of 'experts' telling people to stay at home then jumping in their car to drive to their 2nd home.
Report impossible123 April 20, 2020 4:35 PM BST
Anything that could save lives even if it means it's inconveniencing the public eg banning of flights in and out of the UK; shutting down of sporting events; transport (except genuine "key" workers), etc, at the beginning. The sooner these virus are knackered the sooner we'll be free from it ie save to travel and be at close proximity to others in public.

I think the herd immunity adopted by government advisors/experts at the outset have been wrong and placed the UK in a disadvantaged regards Covid-19, causing numerous deaths (some maybe unnecessary); the policies and safeguards adopted by S Korea, Australia, New Zealand and Germany eg testing and tracing would have been more prudent and productive.

Do the UK experts worth their salt? Or do these experts actually know what they are talking about? Or are they like joe public guessing about Covid-19 as they go along? At the moment their strategies eg not testing/taking temperature of new arrivals at Heathrow/ports, etc, except advising "Stay at Home" do not seem to hinder the advance of Covid-19.
Report hello :-) April 20, 2020 5:34 PM BST
they don't like that question do they

blame the science time
Report impossible123 April 20, 2020 5:54 PM BST
I think deep down the experts think they could have erred regards the Liverpool/Madrid game and Cheltenham not advocating a ban or restriction imposed for the latter. But, admitting it in public could instigate legal challenges.
Report Ramruma April 20, 2020 6:01 PM BST
Re buses -- in London, to protect bus drivers, they have moved to boarding via the middle, exit doors and not paying fares. The seats near the driver are blocked off.
Report duffy April 20, 2020 9:00 PM BST
This is why racing needs to be not shouting from the roof tops about how it's ready to go, like it or not we are persona non grata in the wider scheme of things, we should be biting our tongue and keeping our counsel, racing is an easy target and racing's leaders aren't too cute when it comes to PR... that's just how it is I'm afraid.
Report Wesdag April 20, 2020 9:08 PM BST
Yeah, cos the BHA foolishly went ahead with Cheltenham ignoring the advice of the govt & its advisers.
Report madhatter April 20, 2020 10:19 PM BST
The real problem was surely still weeks of people cramming into London on trains, tubes, buses and cars for a working day in offices and factories and then taking the virus home with them all over the country.
Report dukeofpuke April 20, 2020 10:21 PM BST
International womens day 2 days before Cheltenham i think quite a few marched through London
Report ben96 April 20, 2020 10:47 PM BST
It would help if the journalists could start by getting some accuracy in their articles rather than sensationalising the issue. Every article says 250k people over the week which is no where near accurate given a high percentage of people go to multiple days. Im also yet to see anyone provide accuracte evidence to showw the festival had any more of an effect than any other event or everyday life activities. It is lazy journalism using Cheltenham as a scapegoat.
Report leif April 20, 2020 11:06 PM BST
In a scathing letter sent to the board members of the European Boxing Confederation (EUBC), and seen by the BBC, Gozgec wrote: "Two of our athletes (and a coach) have tested positive for (Covid-19) after returning to Turkey from London. All of them are in treatment now and thankfully are in good condition.

"This is the disastrous result of the irresponsibility of the IOC Boxing Task Force."

Organised by the IOC's Boxing Task Force (BTF) following the suspension of international federation the AIBA last year, the European qualifying event started on 14 March with full crowds at the Copper Box, the day after major sporting events including all professional football in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland had been suspended.

After the first two days of the event, the BTF decided that "due to the changing situation with coronavirus and concerns for public, athlete and volunteer welfare", the event would take place "behind closed doors".

However, following the third day of competition, the event was suspended.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk

Report leif April 20, 2020 11:08 PM BST
The hightalians were also present I believe.

Not just Hoss racing that got it wrong.

Led by scientists, lied to by politicians.
Report Baphornet April 20, 2020 11:14 PM BST
is the numpty who keeps starting these obnoxious topics; Andrew Tyler perchance?
Report dalbers April 21, 2020 8:44 AM BST
Some facts (straight from the BBC website this morning) to prove Cheltenham is nowhere near being the epicentre of this whole Covid-19 saga.

Within the whole of Gloucestershire (Cheltenham's county)  -  934 cases in a population of 633.558
Within the whole of Worcestershire (immediately north of Gloucs)  -  887 cases in a population of 592,057

London Borough of Croydon  -  1,187 cases in a population of 385,346
London Borough of Sutton (next door to Croydon)  -  589 cases in a population of 204,525
Total between the two of them  -  1,776 cases in a population of 589,871

If the Cheltenham Festival had been such a carrier of Covid-19 with folk from all over the country bringing their yet-to-emerge symptoms of Covid-19 to Gloucestershire, surely the legacy would have been a spike in Gloucestershire's figures as all the restaurant, pub & hotel staff who served the crowds all week (along with the taxi drivers, car park stewards, etc) were infected with the crowd's Covid-19 ? !!

Instead, Gloucestershire's own figures are remarkably similar to its northern neighbour (the best comparison given Cheltenham itself is in Gloucestershire's northern third).

Even more remarkably, the combined figures of two of the more badly-affected London boroughs reveal around twice the number of Covid-19 cases as either Gloucestershire or Worcestershire, despite a very similar sample size of population.

The BHA, Cheltenham racecourse or anyone else to do with horse racing would do very well to throw the above statistics back at those hindsighters now slagging off the decision to stage the festival.

In other words, nearly twice Gloucester
Report The Knight April 21, 2020 9:46 AM BST
This has become the worst country in the world - by a long way - fro 'past-posting'.

It's all 'told you so' and pointing the finger after something has happened.

From there it's all about 'apologizing'.

All of it is total balls. HINDSIGHT is a wonderful commodity and if I have a shop selling it I'd be the richest man in the world.

But, horse racing fans can help here.

Ignore threads like this. Well meaning but it just gives creedence to this kind of stupidity.

The hindsight brigade latch on to EVERYTHING nowadays but use logic on them and they run to the hills.
Report GoBallistic April 21, 2020 9:53 AM BST
With the benefit of hindsight I think it's now safe to say that the decision to go ahead with the Cheltenham Festival this year was totally correct
Report stridingedge April 21, 2020 10:54 AM BST
You don't need hindsight to be able to state as fact that when Cheltenham kicked off this year the Govt has been told by the science that containment of the disease was impossible.Community testing deemed so important at the time by the WHO and indeed the scientists we see at the daily briefings had to all intense purposes now been stopped.

The science the govt was listening to stated there is too much seeding now in the community for containment.This isn't hindsight or sensationalising it's what was known at the time.

It's certainly to me totally unreasonable that the sporting fixtures like Cheltenham and the CL football are being given a seemingly harsh weighted response under scrutiny than the general open activities throughout society pre lockdown. Public transport was still packed and no measures were in place in pubs and restaurants etc.

However having said that I don't think it's unreasonable given my first paragraph that the timeline is being looked at in general for whether action was taken at the right time at the start of Cheltenham week given the prevailing knowledge about the extent of virus already known to be present in the UK.Following on from this the other question will always be asked as to whether around 10 days was too long from containment not being an option to the restrictive lockdown measures being implemented.

I'm no tory lover but I don't for one minute think a labour govt would have handled this crisis any differently. For me it is pretty clear we were always on the back foot with this as we just had no real preparation and systems in place for dealing with a pandemic which would inevitably have hit our shores at some point.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com